PDA

View Full Version : The Official Light Bulb Thread

Dandelion
10-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Are light bulbs vegan? I heard that vegans have to live in the dark cause they can't use bulbs and candles are made from beeswax. I also heard nonvegans live in the dark too except they can use lights.
nyuk nyuk.
(wow i really ran with that there for some dumb humor...)

Now, what i really wanted to say is...
I know there's a thread here (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=6874&page=1&pp=15) about full spectrum bulbs but now that we're in our new place we're lookin at bulbs and i'm wonderin what you kids do. The apartment currently is mostly these floody halogens that are all dying on us. Originally i wanted to swap out compact fluorescent for all the bulbs but now i'm lookin at some full spectrums or maybe a combo, like fluorescent for the basement etc. I'm worried about compact fluorescent being too cold and harsh.
Any light to shine on the subject? (*groan*) ;)

grog
10-27-2005, 09:10 PM
I sometimes get those ones that are supposed to last years and years, and they never do.

I may have bad wiring though.

bluedawg
10-27-2005, 09:33 PM
we have some compact fluorescents (the ones shaped like regular light bulbs) because my husband is paranoid about old wiring and he thinks they're "safer." to be honest i'm not thrilled with the light they give off, but i live with them. these are mostly in our overhead-light rooms (maybe like 3 rooms?)... but they take a while to "warm up" and the light isn't fantastic. i find them a bit dim.

in other lamps we use "reveal" bulbs, which aren't full-spectrum but it's a similar idea. i like those a lot. we have them in the bathroom and one in the living room at the moment.

our kitchen and family room have canister lighting (set into the ceiling) so i guess those are halogen? i don't know for sure, they're like little mini-floodlight things.

i haven't bought any full-spectrum bulbs yet but i'm planning to do so very soon, now that the weather is turning and daylight savings is about to switch. i'm going to get hubbydawg a new lamp for his desk and outfit it with a full-spectrum bulb. i just noticed that they carry them (two different brands; several different wattages) at our co-op. score!

i have a halogen light in my desk lamp and i kind of hate it. it burns hot and i can actually feel the heat when it's turned on. i almost never use it for that reason.

Dandelion
10-27-2005, 11:02 PM
yikes, bad reviews for fluorescents. The wiring in this house is atrocious (reminds me, i need to buy insurance). I did see those reveal bulbs at home depot but was confused. Now i'm researching the difference between those and full spectrum. I see seventh generation has a full spectrum bulb. ok so perhaps compact fluorescents for the garage and basement, Reveals for general living spaces and full spectrum for much used spaces.

Husky Corn Star
10-28-2005, 04:26 AM
This is the brightest thread ever on this site :cool:

oh yeah, Danders' you light up my life

stegan
10-28-2005, 09:09 AM
kikkert and I came across this (http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=gai&category%5Fname=l3%5FEnergyEfficientBulbsLighting&product%5Fid=11%2D0192+MSTR) while going through the Gaiam catalog- it would seem to indicate a full spectrum compact flourescent. Haven't gotten one yet, so I can't speak to it being any good...

MissLovely
10-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I just put compact flourescents in one of my dining/living room over head. It looks kind of yucky. I have them in my lamps, too, but the shades filter out the ugly light, so it's a little nicer. are full spectrums still pricey? I haven't looked at them for years.

Emiloid
10-30-2005, 04:10 PM
I use fluourescents almost exclusively and don't have a problem with them. I have had some that took a while to warm up or that had a cold cast to them, but the ones I have now are OK. They're pretty bright. I think I'm used to them, because some people think they're too bright....

I must admit that I use an incandescent in my bedside table lamp for its slightly dimmer mellow-yellow lighting--better for me when I'm getting ready for sleep.

Dandelion
03-29-2006, 11:13 PM
yeah more BoingBoing...
i present to you, Fractal Chandelier (http://www.iamanangelchaser.com/processes/fractal_chandelier/fractal_chandelier.html)

zatoichi
03-30-2006, 10:32 PM
light bulbs aren't vegan? what?

for me, flourescent bulbs wouldn't be vegan either because they would incite violent and possibly lethal reactions from me. i think they must emit hulk-mutation gamma rays.

Miso Vegan
03-31-2006, 12:01 AM
are full spectrums still pricey? I haven't looked at them for years.
They've come down in price lately, so you can get them around $5-8 I think. And strange places, too, like Kmart and such, will have them by major brands for decent sale prices sometimes.

I have a mix of compact flourescent, full-spectrum, and regular ol' incandescent.

gur
03-31-2006, 09:28 AM
yeah more BoingBoing...
i present to you, Fractal Chandelier (http://www.iamanangelchaser.com/processes/fractal_chandelier/fractal_chandelier.html)

cooool! :silly:

squirrel
03-30-2009, 12:31 PM
For anyone interested, Menard's has an energy efficient light bulb sale going on. We bought a 12 pack for $7.99. :) They have dimmable ones, too. Just an FYI. :)

Oatmeal Girl
03-30-2009, 12:55 PM
When I moved into my apartment less than a year ago, I started replacing old bulbs with compact flourescents as they died out. A few of the flourescents have already died out, too, and I'm frustrated; aren't they supposed to last way longer? And aren't they bad for the environment once they're disposed of? I'm storing the dead ones until I have time to dispose of them properly. We don't use an excessive amount of electricity, but our apartment has really old, crappy wiring. Maybe that's why they died out so soon?

squirrel
03-30-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm thinking that's the culprit. We have cruddy old wiring and we were replacing bulbs like every month. When we switched to the fluorescents just in our ceiling fan in the kitchen, they haven't died yet and it's been 6 months or so...One is burning a little funny off and on lately, but they've lasted way longer than regular ones.

nauthiz
03-30-2009, 02:12 PM
And aren't they bad for the environment once they're disposed of?

They contain some mercury, but it's actually a whole lot less than the average amount of mercury that's released into the environment in the process of generating the extra electricity needed to run incandescents.

grog
03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
I recently read an article about consumer frustrations with CFL's. I've had similar issues. Apparently there are a lot of poor quality ones, i.e. the cheap ones. Some do betters than others in high heat areas, i.e. enclosed lamps. In short, not all are alike, and I suppose some research should be done based on your usage and/or looking for ones that don't break.