PDA

View Full Version : Cetaphil?

Vegan_Kisses
09-09-2005, 10:00 PM
I have used Cetaphil for years, pre-activist... but I suffer from psoriasis on my scalp and slightly on my eyelids so I need a heavy (very heavy) cream lotion for my skin. I love Cetaphil because I have no problems with my skin for years. But I want to make sure its animal friendly, and if not what are my alternatives. Thanks :happy:

bird
09-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Cetaphil is made by Galderma, which does test on animals.

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1011793&postcount=10

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=372094&postcount=9

I use the Skin Balancing Cleanser made by Paula Begoun. Not all of her products are vegan - some have lanolin or beeswax - but she doesn't test on animals and is extremely knowledgeable about cosmetics. Her products always have state-of-the-art formulations and are good values (reasonably priced, large containers). The cleansers are all vegan.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/category2.asp?CAT=46&TYPE=1&PAGETYPE=S

bird
09-09-2005, 10:16 PM
If you have any sort of sensitivities or skin problems, I cannot recommend Paula's stuff highly enough. She is so conscientious about skin irritation and protection it's amazing. My hubby has psoriasis like you and he uses the Skin Balancing Cleanser as well. It works great for him. :) Imho, it's better than Cetaphil (which I used before discovering Paula).

Vegan_Kisses
09-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Thats awful :o( its the only thing that has every worked. Thanks for the info, I will definetly give her product a try. You know, it makes no sense for animal testing when its not even insisted by the FDA. People need to grow up :umm:

Vegan_Kisses
09-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Ordered heavy cream, and face wash and a few other things :happy: Thanks a bunch

bird
09-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Vegan_kisses, here is a FAQ for helping to determine which of Paula's cleansers might be best for you:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/help/faq.asp?TYPE=PROD#cleansers

By the way, they are happy to send you samples, so if you want, you can just call them (800-831-4088) and ask for a sample of each cleanser you think you want to try, before committing to a whole bottle.

I know it seems scary, but don't worry, everything will be all right. I know it sounds like I push Paula really hard (this isn't the first time I've written about her on VR), but that's because I really feel like the woman saved my skin (I have eczema, acne, and chronic urticaria - lucky me!). I'm convinced that anyone who reads her books will come to respect her as well, for being the consumer's advocate against crazy cosmetics companies. I've actually had to stop loaning out my personal copies, because it's really hard to wrest them back from my friends once they discover them!

Vegan_Kisses
09-09-2005, 10:35 PM
I needed help and you supplied it, I am looking forward to trying her product :happy: I appreciate the quick response.

bird
09-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Whoa, that was fast! :) Did you end up getting the Skin Balancing Cleanser, or another one? I simply recommended the Skin Balancing Cleanser because I personally have oily facial skin, but her dry skin cleansers are equally good, if you have sensitive skin that tends to be dry. :)

Which moisturizer did you get? I have very dry skin on my body, and I use the Skin Recovery Moisturizer. I love it, and I feel it's the "heaviest" one.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC185&PAGETYPE=S

Feel free to email me (this goes for everyone, not just Vegan_kisses) if you have any other questions about Paula or her products. I have used many of them, and can share my personal reviews with you. :)

bird
09-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Oh, and here's her return policy:

What is your product guarantee?

At Paula's Choice we stand behind every product we sell. If you are not absolutely satisfied with any purchase, for any reason, we will happily provide a prompt refund, credit, or exchange for the purchase price (including tax, if any, but not including shipping).

Simply return your purchase within 60 days. Our return address is: Paula's Choice Returns, 1030 SW 34th Street, Suite A, Renton, WA 98055-4813. We ask that you return products in the original packaging and include the invoice when possible.http://www.cosmeticscop.com/help/faq.asp?TYPE=PROD#guarantee

So you get two whole months to try it out and see the longer-term effect on your skin. :)

Vegan_Kisses
09-09-2005, 10:52 PM
I got the Beautiful Body Butter, and the Cleanser for dry skin, and a few cosmetics. Just saw Paula's picture she has fabulous skin :happy:

Emiloid
09-10-2005, 02:41 PM
I used to use (generic) Cetaphil cleanser and was worried once I ran out that I'd have to either spend tons of money on cleansers--while experimenting with different brands, as well--or would have to put up with dry skin. However, I found some really nice cleanser that is a lot like Cetaphil, but vegan: no animal ingredients, not tested on animals.

Here's the info: Earth Science brand A-D-E creamy cleanser for dry/sensitive skin. You only need to use a little bit, too, so it will last a long time--which is great because it's a tad expensive: $7.50 for 8oz. I think I've had it for two months, and I use it twice a day at least... and I've used maybe 1/6 of it. Then again, I only use it on my face.

(In case you're doing the math, it took me a looooong time to use up the last of the Cetaphil. I just celebrated my 3rd veganniversary and ran out about a month ago. I bought a 15 oz (?) bottle just a few months before I went vegan.)

mamaquilla
09-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Oh Cymraegrrl I loveeeeeee Paula Bagoun and her awsome book ! Im so glad to hear that someone has used her products and they have worked well. I too am running out of my Cetaphil and have been worried due to my and my yougest childs super sensitive skin :silly:

Vegan_Kisses please post what you think of the products you ordered !

bird
09-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Oh Cymraegrrl I loveeeeeee Paula Bagoun and her awsome book ! Im so glad to hear that someone has used her products and they have worked well.Oh mamaquilla, I loooove you! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: I'm so glad that you like her book and that you said so, so I don't read like some proselytizing, kickback-garnering shill over here. ;)

mamaquilla
09-10-2005, 04:43 PM
hahahaha, no you are not some crazy zealot, heehee. The only reason I have not tried her products so far was the stubborn side of my nature not wanting to pay shipping and then the products not working if I did, um did that make sense :umm: :laugh: :D

grog
09-10-2005, 05:00 PM
hahahaha, no you are not some crazy zealot, heehee. The only reason I have not tried her products so far was the stubborn side of my nature not wanting to pay shipping and then the products not working if I did, um did that make sense :umm: :laugh: :D

I think it said she's in Renton, WA. So you can probably just drive over and not pay shipping.

bird
09-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I think it said she's in Renton, WA. So you can probably just drive over and not pay shipping.
Are your products available in stores?

Our products are primarily available by mail order, by phone or fax, or on our web site.

Can I come in and place my order in your office?

Unfortunately, our office is not set up as a retail establishment. However, orders shipped within Washington State usually arrive within 2-4 business days.http://www.cosmeticscop.com/help/faq.asp?TYPE=SHOP#stores2

bird
09-10-2005, 05:12 PM
hahahaha, no you are not some crazy zealot, heehee. The only reason I have not tried her products so far was the stubborn side of my nature not wanting to pay shipping and then the products not working if I did, um did that make sense :umm: :laugh: :DOh, but you're wrong - I am a crazy zealot when it comes to her products and her mission! I just don't get paid for my zeal. :D

Seriously, call up Customer Service and ask them to send you samples of the stuff you're interested in. You won't have to pay anything, and you can test it out before you buy. Luckily for you, the company's located very close by, so you should get them relatively quickly.

Also, one tip: two times a year she does month-long promotions where you can get free shipping no matter how large your order is, as long as the order subtotal is $40 or more. This happens in June and one month in the fall (I forget which). You can sign up for email updates on the website if you want to be notified when this happens. Then, a few other times a year (generally three-day holiday weekends), she'll do $3 flat rate shipping, again with a minimum order subtotal requirement. I usually take stock of my inventory at the end of May and place an order each June for enough product to cover my needs for the whole year. Be aware that she gets flooded with orders during her free shipping promotions, though, so it will take longer than usual for them to process and ship your order. It's not a problem for me because I never let myself get down to the last bottle of anything before re-ordering, but that's just my crazy stockpiling self. ;)

Remember, if you don't like something, you've got two months to return it. I think that's a far more generous policy than most other brands, which don't accept returns of used makeup or skin care products at all. (I also love that she doesn't spend money on advertising, fancy containers, or maintaining a physical store, which allows her to keep prices low.)

mamaquilla
09-10-2005, 05:50 PM
you have me convinced...you are a zealot ;) and to take the plunge and try something next payday ! :) wahhhhhh whooooooo ! I already get her e-newsletter thingy, just dont always read it :rolleyes:

bird
09-10-2005, 06:49 PM
For the record, these are the products that I use. I have oily facial skin and facial acne, but dry skin on the rest of my body, as stated above.

These aren't the only Paula's Choice products I've tried, or even the only ones in our household (hubby uses some different ones). They're just what I use every day. They are all vegan except for the lip balm.

Skin Balancing Cleanser (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC115&PAGETYPE=S)

Pure Mineral Sunscreen SPF 15 (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC145&PAGETYPE=S)

Lip and Body Treatment Balm (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC550&PAGETYPE=S) - This is not vegan. It has lanolin and beeswax. I use it anyway because, despite years of searching, I have truly never found anything even remotely as effective as this. It's a godsend for my lips, which otherwise chap badly regardless of the season or the amount of water I drink. I discovered this balm before going vegan and I refuse to give it up. This and traditional photography are my two great non-vegan sins. (In case you're wondering, I have tried Vaseline, of course, as well as every major brand of vegan lip balm, including Crazy Rumors, and every vegan one over at Lipmedic.)

Extra Strength Blemish Fighting Solution (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC211&PAGETYPE=S)

2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Lotion (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC205&PAGETYPE=S)

Skin Recovery Moisturizer With Antioxidants (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC185&PAGETYPE=S) - During the winter I go through tubes and tubes of this stuff. I keep hoping she'll make a larger size someday. It's labeled as being for the face and eye area, but I use it on my body with great results.

Hair Care:

All Over Hair & Body Shampoo (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC500&PAGETYPE=S) - I use this as both my shampoo and my body wash.

Smooth Finish Conditioner (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.asp?CODE=PC520&PAGETYPE=S)

I buy all my hair and skin-care products exclusively from Paula's Choice. (I don't wear any makeup except for lipstick; which I get from M.A.C. Cosmetics.)

mamaquilla
09-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Awsome ! :) thanks

bird
09-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Awsome ! :) thanksNo problem! :D I love sharing things that have really made a big, positive difference in my life. It makes me so happy whenever I show another woman one of Paula's books, and she says, "Oh my god! This is amazing! I wish I had discovered this before! Can I borrow it?!" :sunny:

My skin has never looked better since I started using the 2% BHA and the Extra Strength Blemish Fighting Solution a couple of years ago. People who've met me since then don't even believe I have acne! I get compliments on my [facial] skin a lot, and every time I do, I mentally thank Paula and then start raving about her products to whichever unwary soul happened to pay me the compliment. ;) (I did also write her a letter once, to express my gratitude. She actually wrote me back herself, and was very appreciative and nice. Classy, right? :smitten: Try writing Aerin Lauder or Ron Perelman and see what you get!)

Ok, I promise to shut up about this now unless someone asks me a specific product question. Thanks for putting up with me, guys! :silly: :kiss:

bluedawg
10-01-2009, 04:51 PM
I used to use (generic) Cetaphil cleanser and was worried once I ran out that I'd have to either spend tons of money on cleansers--while experimenting with different brands, as well--or would have to put up with dry skin. However, I found some really nice cleanser that is a lot like Cetaphil, but vegan: no animal ingredients, not tested on animals.

Here's the info: Earth Science brand A-D-E creamy cleanser for dry/sensitive skin. You only need to use a little bit, too, so it will last a long time--which is great because it's a tad expensive: $7.50 for 8oz. I think I've had it for two months, and I use it twice a day at least... and I've used maybe 1/6 of it. Then again, I only use it on my face.

i went to the dermatologist today and he (like 98% of dermatologists) recommended cetaphil, and even sent me home with a little trial-size bottle. now that i know for sure it's not vegan, i'm pretty motivated to find an alternative before i even try the trial size bottle. i'm going to look for this stuff tonight, Em, thanks!!

quagga
10-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I use ADE all the time and forgot about Em's post!

I actually dilute mine with water by about half and have noticed no problems, but my skin is generally in pretty good shape.

bluedawg
10-01-2009, 04:58 PM
i think my dermatologist basically wants me to use something very mild/gentle. he wasn't a stickler for a particular ingredient or anything, just said that cetaphil is amazing and gentle and wonderful and almost every single one of his patients loves it. i was like, "yeah, but if it's not vegan i'm not going to use it, so give me some guidance," and he was all, "um, water?" ha ha. so for anyone who has used cetaphil... if you can give me any insight into what it's like, how similar this is, etc., that would be great! :) i'm heading to walgreens tonight to get my piles of Rx solutions ;) but it looks like i'll also be making a pit stop at the NFS for some hippie cleanser. hee.

squirrel
10-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Bluedawg, would this (http://www.lbri.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1) interest you at all? I have looked at this stuff and it all seems vegan, no beeswax, etc and they don't test on animals...I ordered the "gentle line" and tried it out yesterday, it feels really good, and takes off eye make up so gently, no scrubbing at all. I'm having a party for this next month if you'd like to come check it out....by then I will have used it quite a bit and could tell you more about if it worked for me. They have an acne cream, too, which I got for my stress induced chin acne.
(Please feel free to point out any non-vegan thing I may have missed...)

bluedawg
10-02-2009, 06:02 PM
i'd be happy to be kept posted on your experience with it, that's for sure. :) at the moment i'm not supposed to use anything to "treat" my acne other than what he's giving me... so i'm going to force myself to use this "vegan cetaphil" (heh) and his retinoid whatever and nothing else, and see how it goes. i also bought the earth science moisturizer (decided to stay in the same "family" as the A-D-E creamy cleanser) to get me through the flaky times. other than those two products, i removed all of my "skin care" from my medicine cabinet last night, to reduce temptation. hee.

in other news, i have lots of vegan skin care for oily-ish, blemish prone types, if anyone wants some half-used stuff. :silly:

Emiloid
10-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Oh, I'm with quagga: I water mine down a lot. That is, I use very little of the cleanser each time (far less than a dime-sized dollop), and usually both my face and my hands are wet already.

I still think it's very mild, so it's not like you have to use a tiny amount. It's just that it's not necessary to use more.

Good luck, bluedawg!

hebejeebies
10-03-2009, 09:51 PM
I swear by cetiphil for sensitive skin. I'm pretty sure its vegan. I always get asked what kind of make up I use and I get to gladly say NONE! Yeah!

hebejeebies
10-08-2009, 09:03 PM
I swear by cetiphil for sensitive skin. I'm pretty sure its vegan. I always get asked what kind of make up I use and I get to gladly say NONE! Yeah!

I didn't know it was tested on animal :( Ow well back to just castille soap

bluedawg
10-08-2009, 09:23 PM
sorry hebejeebies. if you can find it, the A-D-E stuff is very nice indeed! :silly:

Emiloid
10-08-2009, 11:16 PM
True... is there nothing else, though? :p I haven't tried a whole lot of products, but once I tried ADE I liked it so much I've used it ever since. However, the only other cleanser I remember trying was some kind of soap that advertised "gentle, non-drying" formula, but it gave me instantly scaly cheeks.

quagga
10-08-2009, 11:27 PM
If you can't find A-D-E, then try to find another vegan cleanser that doesn't have soap in it. There are a lot out there (but maybe not in your store?? :( ).

I would NOT switch from A-D-E or Cetaphil to Bronner's and expect the same results -- Bronner's is a soap and is designed to dissolve oils by dismantling them. A non-soapy cleanser is essentially a gentle, water-soluble lotion that sort of floats away excess oil and dirt from your face without fundamentally removing the oil or disturbing the pH.

I've tried Bronner's in this way. I've read the package and believed the dilute!/dilute!/dilute! mantra, but in the end my face always wound up dry and irritated because of the lack of oil.

Just sharin' my experience. I do not have acne-prone skin. My facial skin is sensitive and can be a little rashy/itchy and definitely prone to dryness and tightness. I haven't used soap on it for years and years now (except when I tried to use Bronner's once or twice when I was out of A-D-E or its analogs) and always use a heavy moisturizer after cleaning.

YMMV, of course. :)

Miso Vegan
10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
^ :yes:

Beauty Without Cruelty has a cream cleanser that may suffice.

hebejeebies
10-09-2009, 08:45 PM
yeah.. I have lots of fun allergies like right now I have a rash on my chest cause I used the wrong fabric softener. Everything has to be dye, soap, fragrance free for me. I will look for that A-D-E at the store....thanks