PDA

View Full Version : Soyatoo whipping cream

beka
08-10-2005, 06:53 PM
i knew this was available in europe, so i looked while on my last trip...and i found it! so i bought three boxes..i would have bought more, but i was worried it wouldnt be that great. well, it IS that great! it whips up quite beautifully...just like what i remember cool whip to be. if you can get it, i would HIGHLY recommend it. mmmm. i just refrigerated it for a bit, put some in a bowl, and beat it with a wire whisk. it about doubled in size.

ive just been generously spooning it onto strawberries and peaches.. i can't wait to bake a cake and slather some of this fluffyness on it..can you say strawberry shortcake? any other ideas on what to use this for? i have to figure out something to make for a vegan potluck on friday and i'll bet i could really impress everyone with my whipped cream..hehe..

i really think this thing beats hip whip, which tastes off to me. i hope this is available in the states soon....

Artichoke47
08-10-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm sure someone really original and creative will suggest a perverted use for it.

attackferret
08-10-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm sure someone really original and creative will suggest a perverted use for it.And here I was just wishing I could have some for the next time I had pumpkin pie :)

jenzie
08-10-2005, 07:06 PM
*on cue*

You could always make a cherry pie and use the whipped cream as topping. I've seen that done a lot. :) ;)

grog
08-10-2005, 07:16 PM

attackferret
08-10-2005, 07:52 PM
****** **** *** ******aww, come on! You can't just censor out a whole comment like that :brood:

dropscone
08-11-2005, 03:17 AM
I guess you had the carton stuff if you had to whip it yourself? I had a can of the squirty cream :) It's very nice as a topping for liqueur coffee, and I've seen it used to acclaim in chocolate eclairs. Unfortunately its availability in this country coincided with the onset of my weightloss plan so I haven't had a chance to be that inventive with it, but when another 20lb or so have come off I'm sure I'll be able to think of something perverted to do with it :D

Dandelion
04-02-2006, 11:28 PM
oh yeah, here's the thread and food fight now has it as gladcow mentioned (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?p=117812&#post117812)
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-17800188898367_1889_1100429 (http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/soywhip.html)

LegalVegan
04-02-2006, 11:44 PM
I ordered some of this stuff from Food Fight last week on got it on Friday. Awesome stuff. Unbelievably great texture/consistency, and easily the best soy whip cream I've ever encountered. The taste is a little boring (needs more vanilla), but it'll certainly do.

I have to go make some of my famous vegan pumpkin pie now.

beka
04-03-2006, 12:16 AM
ooh i'm totally psyched about food fight having the canned stuff! i looove this stuff. i've used two cartons so far: one for topping strawberries and peaches, and one for valentine's day: chocolate pudding with strawberries and soyatoo! oh, and i used some of the leftovers for topping hot chocolate. yum! i still have one carton left...i've been saving it, but i just might use it now that it's available in the US!!!

gladcow
04-03-2006, 12:28 AM
we are loving it! gonna have some tonight on some Purely Decadent Mocha Almond Fudge. Mmmmmm.

bluedawg
04-03-2006, 07:26 PM
i'm very excited about this development, which is funny because i never really used spray whip cream before. i'm going to be putting it on everything, just because i can. :)

is this a refrigerated item? like, from the get-go? i'm wondering if vegan essentials might start carrying it because then i wouldn't have to order a cold pack or something, if necessary... hmmm. must do research.

bluedawg
04-03-2006, 08:31 PM
okie doke, in case anyone else was curious, here it is, straight from the food fight website:

***NOTE: THE CAN SAYS IT IS A REFRIGERATED PRODUCT, THAT IS ONLY A REQUIRED NOTE UNTIL THEY FINISH LICENSING OR SOMETHING, THE EXACT PRODUCT IS SOLD IN CANADA AND EUROPE AS SHELF STABLE FOR 1 YEAR. WE'D PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE AFTER OPENING IT, BUT...***

gur
04-03-2006, 08:46 PM
okie doke, in case anyone else was curious, here it is, straight from the food fight website:

CANADA?!!!!! :D :cartwheel:

grog
04-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Wasn't Soyatoo a character in Star-Wars?

Miso Vegan
04-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Oh, man, I think Sidecar is getting it. Mmmmm, can't wait!

quagga
04-03-2006, 11:16 PM
I keep reading this thread as Cockatoo whipping cream! That said, I can't wait to try it, even though I'm trying to be a better, healthier vegan.

Christi_VG_Ohio
04-07-2006, 01:13 AM
The Soyatoo spray can and whipping cream are also coming soon to
VeganGoods.com (http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-48641225173758/index.html)

Miso Vegan
05-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Soyatoo has hit Sidecar, and it is yummmmmmmy!! I like that it's not too sweet, it's such a nice compliment.

I now have an overwhelming urge to bake a pumpkin pie....

MissLovely
05-14-2006, 11:35 PM
I like it in my coffee. I should keep a can w/ me and get an espresso. :)
mmmmmmmmm pumpkin pie.

bluedawg
05-16-2006, 12:56 AM
i went to vegan essentials today and they had a whole bunch! i was really excited. i bought a can even though i don't have immediate plans for it. :silly:

hazelfaern
05-16-2006, 02:41 AM
i went to vegan essentials today and they had a whole bunch! i was really excited. i bought a can even though i don't have immediate plans for it. :silly:

Oooh, so jealous.

Erm, who needs immediate plans for vegan whip cream?

Dandelion
05-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Erm, who needs immediate plans for vegan whip cream?
HEY-yo! :blush:

hazelfaern
05-16-2006, 12:16 PM
HEY-yo! :blush:

:laugh:

Oh jeez, you goober, that question was supposed to be rhetorical ;)

Dandelion
05-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Oh jeez, you goober, that question was supposed to be rhetorical ;)
i'll take any chance i can get to say "HEY-yo" :D

bluedawg
06-01-2006, 04:51 PM
soyatoo is so much fun! it's really good. i've eaten it on brownies and also plain. :) i have some ice cream-related plans for it as well.

Miso Vegan
06-01-2006, 08:50 PM
bluedawg, surely you've had Soyatoo on fresh strawberries already, haven't you?

:drool:

bluedawg
06-01-2006, 09:30 PM
no, i haven't, not yet. :embarr:

but i will! i promise!

hazelfaern
07-17-2006, 12:44 PM
I just found this at my health food store! I was so happy! I got home and had some with a bowl of chocolate hazelnut ice cream -- yummy :D

VeganArtist
07-17-2006, 03:18 PM
This stuff is *awesome*. Miso Vegan put me in the mood for Pumpkin Pie. Thanksgiving will be yummy this year! :)

quagga
07-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Has anybody had problems using it after being refrigerated? After I stuck mine in the fridge, it barely comes out of the can, even after being left out at room tempearature. I was really disappointed in the performance, but I really enjoyed the taste...

mamaquilla
07-17-2006, 03:33 PM
I was suprised to find this at our local Thriftway on Sunday night. They just got it in the clerk informed me with a big smile. I was very disappointed in the flavor, HELLLLLLLLLLLLO! sugar people, its goooooooooooood and should IMHO be used in great amounts when creating a whipped topping

:)

Miso Vegan
07-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Oh, you sugar addicts and your sugar!

Welcome to the more refined tastes of the world.... :silly:

Miso Vegan
07-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Has anybody had problems using it after being refrigerated? After I stuck mine in the fridge, it barely comes out of the can, even after being left out at room tempearature. I was really disappointed in the performance, but I really enjoyed the taste...
Strange, all of mine (ahem) have worked perfectly, cold and room-temp. Maybe you just got a bum container. Maybe you should write tot hem and tell them you're going to tell the whole vegan world their product is terrible UNLESS they send you a free case (so you can be sure they all work!).

mamaquilla
07-17-2006, 06:26 PM
:p

VeganArtist
07-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Has anybody had problems using it after being refrigerated? After I stuck mine in the fridge, it barely comes out of the can, even after being left out at room tempearature. I was really disappointed in the performance, but I really enjoyed the taste...Me too. It just seemed like when I would shake the can, that nothing much was happening inside the thingy... :confused:

quagga
07-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Me too. It just seemed like when I would shake the can, that nothing much was happening inside the thingy... :confused:

I find that horribly comforting, b/c I really thought I was dosing something wrong. I checked and cleaned the tips, both the removable plastic one and the little plastic tube coming straight from the can. It still didn't help. :(

hazelfaern
07-18-2006, 08:38 AM

Could you still hear the hissing sound of the propellant leaving the container, or was the can totally silent when you hit the dispense button?

quagga
07-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Could you still hear the hissing sound of the propellant leaving the container, or was the can totally silent when you hit the dispense button?

The propellant was uselessly hissing out of the container. I think the soy cream in the container got clumpy after its stay in the refrigerator, so it was unable to "accompany" the propellant. After working fine upon delivery, I refrigerated the can. The next day I tried it and started having trouble. The instructions say to hold the container upside down and shake twice, which is what I did. Then I held it upside down and shook it like twenty times, and still nothing. Of course by now I may have discharged enough propellant so that it will never come out of the can...

Miso Vegan
07-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Just for the record, quagga, all the stores here sell it refrigerated, and that's how I keep mine. I don't know what the problem with your is but maybe if you ask for a replacement you'll get one. $5 is a lot to throw away. :umm:

VeganArtist
07-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Just for the record, quagga, all the stores here sell it refrigerated, and that's how I keep mine. I don't know what the problem with your is but maybe if you ask for a replacement you'll get one. $5 is a lot to throw away. :umm:Yeah mine was sold refrigerated too. Mine actually came out of the can though, it just seemed different than most propellants. :umm: I agree with Miso Vegan, quagga. If nothing much came out, you should get a replacement from the store and maybe inquire why they don't refrigerate the stuff. What you are describing sounds sort of like what mine sounded like when the can was almost completely empty. I hate to say this because it's kind of gross, but maybe an "overly anxious to try Soyatoo Soy Whip vegan employee" ate it or something. :confused:

quagga
07-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll go duke it out with the folks at Food Fight, since they're the ones who sold it to me.

bluedawg
07-21-2006, 08:27 PM
i haven't had any problem dispensing mine... i've used it i think 3 times since i bought it. maybe i'll have to try again tonight, just to see. ;)

and while i like it a lot, i agree with mamaq that some sugar would be a welcome addition. mmmmmmm, suuuugar.

quagga
07-22-2006, 12:25 AM
I heard from Food Fight today; they said they have received a few other complaints about poor performance. They offered to refund my money, which was nice of them. So if you have a can of Soyatoo that functions, count your creamy blessings.

grog
07-22-2006, 12:27 AM
I have some power tools if you want to try to liberate the rest? We can bring "freedom" to the oppressed gasless Soyatoo!

quagga
07-22-2006, 01:44 AM
I have some power tools if you want to try to liberate the rest? We can bring "freedom" to the oppressed gasless Soyatoo!

Are you a spokesperson for the SLF? I'm afraid we can't liberate the soyatoo without killing it.

grog
07-22-2006, 02:02 AM
But it will die free!

quagga
07-22-2006, 11:59 AM
But it will die free!

BeachBum
07-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Soyatoo whipped cream is yummy! I have only tried it on pie, but now this thread has given me all kinds of ideas!

Dandelion
07-26-2006, 02:55 AM
herbi's been all secrety lately (my bday coming up) and yesterday as i was cleaning out the fridge i found a can of SOYATOO wrapped in a plain brown bag. :blank: i didn't say anything at first but eventually admitted to finding it. yay for soyatoo! i'm still pretending it's not there. :silly:

VeganArtist
07-27-2006, 11:16 AM
herbi's been all secrety lately (my bday coming up) and yesterday as i was cleaning out the fridge i found a can of SOYATOO wrapped in a plain brown bag. :blank: i didn't say anything at first but eventually admitted to finding it. yay for soyatoo! i'm still pretending it's not there. :silly:AWWWWWW!!! :happy: That is so sweet!!!

dropscone
07-27-2006, 12:09 PM
IF you read the instructions on the can you'll see that it says refrigerate 2 HOURS BEFORE USE only. This could be the reason people are having trouble with liberating it from the can.

Of course, I'm just assuming you're getting the same packaging as we get in the UK here. :D

bluedawg
07-27-2006, 01:31 PM
i have kept mine in the fridge ever since the first use and i'm still having no problems with my can. maybe there was a bum batch? :umm:

quagga
07-27-2006, 01:34 PM
I think it was a bum batch. Food Fight cheerfully refunded my money. I'll try again in a few months.

Miso Vegan
07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
IF you read the instructions on the can you'll see that it says refrigerate 2 HOURS BEFORE USE only. This could be the reason people are having trouble with liberating it from the can.

Of course, I'm just assuming you're getting the same packaging as we get in the UK here. :D
Interesting - mine doesn't say that! I mean, it says "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING" and "Keep refrigerated" (yes, in bold caps and then in small letters).
Wonder why they'd make it different? Esp since it comes from Germany anyway, so you think they'd limit the amount of translating to what's legally required and culturally standard.

Hmmm, come to think of it, maybe the labeling is done on the receiving end of the shipping? So an American distributor would translate and label? Still, that doesn't really explain the 2 HR requirement - hard to differently translate that.
And it'd be weird to have labels applied on the receiving end.

OK, I have now spent too much time thinking about this.

grog
07-27-2006, 03:06 PM
I think it was a bum batch. Food Fight cheerfully refunded my money. I'll try again in a few months.

you must not be Christian......

(I'm kidding people)

MissLovely
07-31-2006, 07:54 PM

http://www.soyatoo-usa.com/us/faq/prepare/?CurrentStep=1

A lot of people were having problems.

quagga
08-01-2006, 12:09 AM
http://www.soyatoo-usa.com/us/faq/prepare/?CurrentStep=1

A lot of people were having problems.

Ah, I see. User error. :rolleyes:

How do I use Soyatoo!?
That's easy! Short [but incomplete] directions can be found directly on the can. But of course we also prepared detailed instructions [because we are German and we are generally very precise, we will give you six steps to explain that our whipped cream has a very high freezing point]

OK, I have one virgin can left in my fridge. Wish me luck!

Dandelion
08-01-2006, 01:12 AM
All jokes aside has anybody used whip cream chargers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipped-cream_charger) to actually make whipped cream? If so could this be done with soy cream you think?

gladcow
08-01-2006, 01:18 AM
All jokes aside has anybody used whip cream chargers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipped-cream_charger) to actually make whipped cream? If so could this be done with soy cream you think?
doesn't work. it makes bubbles in the soy cream, but doesn't hold them. needs some kind of stablilzation.

grog
08-01-2006, 01:22 AM
uh, so, where can you buy these large nitrous canisters legally? :drool:

Just kidding, getting high by oxygen deprivation ranks right up there with getting punched in the stomach.

Here's a story.

Friend and college roomie goes to pickup a nitrous tank somewhere with his weed dealer. On the way back they are smoking dope, and taking hits from the nitrous. Next thing they know they are upside down on the side of the road. Amazingly unscathed. They chuck their weed before the cops arrive and tell them the nitrous was for a birthday party for balloons (mind you they are all in super hippy tie die attire) and that it must have "leaked". I don't know if the cops couldn't prove anything or were just dumb, but they let them off. Car was pretty much totalled too.

I was not impressed. Dummies.

Dandelion
08-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks gladcow. Saves me the trouble of having to buy boxes and boxes of chargers for ummm research, heh. How do you think soyatoo does it?
ingredients:

soy milk (water, soybeans) (74%), coconut fat (5%), palm fat (5%), sugar beet syrup, maltodextrin from maize, acidifier: tartaric acid, thickener: seaweed extract, sea salt, natural vanilla flavour

Dandelion
08-01-2006, 01:27 AM
that's why you shouldn't smoke dope with yer N20 especially while driving. :p
DON'T DO DRUGS KIDS. :skull:

gladcow
08-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks gladcow. Saves me the trouble of having to buy boxes and boxes of chargers for ummm research, heh. How do you think soyatoo does it?
ingredients: soy milk (water, soybeans) (74%), coconut fat (5%), palm fat (5%), sugar beet syrup, maltodextrin from maize, acidifier: tartaric acid, thickener: seaweed extract, sea salt, natural vanilla flavour
From the ingredients listed, I would guess that it's a combination of the fat (which thickens the overall mixture, making it more able to hold bubbles) and the maltodextrin (which is a starch, probably a stabilizer of some sort). Not really something we can duplicate in the home.

hazelfaern
08-01-2006, 10:34 AM
From the ingredients listed, I would guess that it's a combination of the fat (which thickens the overall mixture, making it more able to hold bubbles) and the maltodextrin (which is a starch, probably a stabilizer of some sort). Not really something we can duplicate in the home.

Ooooh, oooh! Wait, no, I just read about this about a month ago when I'd lost all hope of ever getting any Soyatoo in locally. Anyway, I googled vegan whipped cream and found a post on another veggie board where someone mentioned simply putting coconut milk into an ISI whipping canister (http:///www.isinorthamerica.com/) -- she said it worked out very well, if it could have used just a little more sugar (and definately had a slight coconut flavor). It's something I'm still interested in, if only because the ISI cansiter would produce much less waste than a disposable soyatooo canister (nitrous dispensers for professional equipment are recyclable since they're steel, and the cannister itself is reusable, so there'd be very little waste).

Starbucks used to use the same sort of cannister for making whipped cream and simply added several squirts of vanilla syrup for sweetner. I'm thinking coconut milk and simple syrup sounds like a plausible recipe for vegan whipped cream.

VeganArtist
08-01-2006, 11:20 AM
uh, so, where can you buy these large nitrous canisters legally? :drool:

Just kidding, getting high by oxygen deprivation ranks right up there with getting punched in the stomach.

Here's a story.

Friend and college roomie goes to pickup a nitrous tank somewhere with his weed dealer. On the way back they are smoking dope, and taking hits from the nitrous. Next thing they know they are upside down on the side of the road. Amazingly unscathed. They chuck their weed before the cops arrive and tell them the nitrous was for a birthday party for balloons (mind you they are all in super hippy tie die attire) and that it must have "leaked". I don't know if the cops couldn't prove anything or were just dumb, but they let them off. Car was pretty much totalled too.

I was not impressed. Dummies.Nice. :mad:

VeganArtist
08-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Ooooh, oooh! Wait, no, I just read about this about a month ago when I'd lost all hope of ever getting any Soyatoo in locally. Anyway, I googled vegan whipped cream and found a post on another veggie board where someone mentioned simply putting coconut milk into an ISI whipping canister (http:///www.isinorthamerica.com/) -- she said it worked out very well, if it could have used just a little more sugar (and definately had a slight coconut flavor). It's something I'm still interested in, if only because the ISI cansiter would produce much less waste than a disposable soyatooo canister (nitrous dispensers for professional equipment are recyclable since they're steel, and the cannister itself is reusable, so there'd be very little waste).

Starbucks used to use the same sort of cannister for making whipped cream and simply added several squirts of vanilla syrup for sweetner. I'm thinking coconut milk and simple syrup sounds like a plausible recipe for vegan whipped cream.MMM. Yummy that sounds. The force is strong in this one. :cartwheel:

Miso Vegan
08-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Starbucks used to use the same sort of cannister for making whipped cream and simply added several squirts of vanilla syrup for sweetner. I'm thinking coconut milk and simple syrup sounds like a plausible recipe for vegan whipped cream.
This is what we did at our coffee shop - I mean, with dairy cream, but we used ISI canisters and we sweetened it with the vanilla flavoring (not extract - syrup).

Dandelion
08-01-2006, 01:19 PM

good enough for me, thanks hazelfaern! time to put in my order and start the experiment. who's with me!? Whipped Cream Experimentalong!

gladcow
08-01-2006, 02:10 PM

I've done coconut whipped cream by hand (just using the hard cream part of the coconut milk). It is definitely do-able. I'd be willing to try it out!

hazelfaern
08-02-2006, 11:34 AM
good enough for me, thanks hazelfaern! time to put in my order and start the experiment. who's with me!? Whipped Cream Experimentalong!

Oooh, so will there be a Vegan Whipped Cream Experimentalong thread? That just sounds fun... :)

mishka
08-09-2006, 10:41 AM
YAAAAAAY!

One of my best friends is visiting you northwestcoasters right now, and she just sent me an email, telling me about all the awesome food she's eaten, and her visit to Food Fight. She just wrote this:

i stood there with a bottle of that soy whip in my hands for the longest time trying to decide if i should get you some. i couldn't remember if you
liked whipped cream before or not (i generally hated the stuff). luckily, i decided you liked it and would want to try this so i'm bringing a bottle back for you.

So happy! We can't get the stuff here yet.

gur
08-09-2006, 10:48 AM
where's artichoke? i think she did that, or something like it. or maybe it was with the coconut cream... oh aaaaaaartiii!!!

Emiloid
08-09-2006, 12:12 PM
...They chuck their weed before the cops arrive and tell them the nitrous was for a birthday party for balloons (mind you they are all in super hippy tie die attire) and that it must have "leaked". I don't know if the cops couldn't prove anything or were just dumb, but they let them off. Car was pretty much totalled too.

Dummies indeed--your friends and the cops! Isn't nitrous oxide heavier than regular air? What kind of b'day balloons would that make?! :p

Emiloid
08-09-2006, 12:15 PM
I tried Soyatoo at quagga's the other night. It was neat! I hadn't had any whipped cream for years, so it seemed a little weird at first... very light and fluffy. It seems like a fun treat to have around for ice cream parties. Or hot chocolate parties in the winter. :drool:

MissLovely
08-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Dummies indeed--your friends and the cops! Isn't nitrous oxide heavier than regular air? What kind of b'day balloons would that make?! :p
really, really funny ones.

Dandelion
08-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Soyatoo Report: glad to say i had no problems but Herbi was skeptical with the meticulous protocol i followed from the site to ensure proper whipped cream dispensage. After filling up our sundae bowls we promptly inflated our mouths with the stuff and it's yummy! I still wanna experiment with the isi cream whippers but it's nice to have a vegan version available.

gladcow
08-09-2006, 12:40 PM
After filling up our sundae bowls we promptly inflated our mouths with the stuff and it's yummy!
Everytime I serve up the Soyatoo, the kids gotta have a mouthful. I've created monsters!

(but I can't say no. how could I deny them a mouthful of vegan whipped cream?!)

Miso Vegan
08-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Soyatoo Report: glad to say i had no problems but Herbi was skeptical with the meticulous protocol i followed from the site to ensure proper whipped cream dispensage.
And did you follow the proper clean-up protocol, too?

We did not, and how gross it was when we took the top off and found mold. :sick:

Luckily, the nozzle can have mold but the contents are fine, so we washed the nozzle and enjoyed Soyatoo.

gladcow, my son does not care for Soyatoo. Should I have him seen by a vegan psychiatrist?

Dandelion
08-09-2006, 01:04 PM
(but I can't say no. how could I deny them a mouthful of vegan whipped cream?!)
You cannot, it is obligatory procedure!

And did you follow the proper clean-up protocol, too?

gladcow, my son does not care for Soyatoo. Should I have him seen by a vegan psychiatrist?
Indeed, i popped the cap and cleaned it all out. Good to know what happens otherwise though. :sick:
I'm sorry to hear about your :alien: Miso Lite. ;)

Miso Vegan
08-09-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your :alien: Miso Lite. ;)
Haaaahahaha! That made me laugh. :)

bluedawg
08-09-2006, 01:08 PM
hmmmm... i haven't done anything special with my can at all, and i've never had a problem. now i'm afraid to look under the dispenser, though. :umm:

Dandelion
08-09-2006, 01:11 PM
hmmmm... i haven't done anything special with my can at all, and i've never had a problem. now i'm afraid to look under the dispenser, though. :umm:
look slowly, slooowllly...slowly....BOO!

walrus
08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
I had a get-together with the girls from work last night and we enjoyed some Soyatoo Whipping Cream on top of raspberry smoothies. :drool: Anyway, dispensage was easy and painless, although we did experience the same problem with the tab breaking off like we did at quagga's house the other night.

She said she bought it at the co-op for $5-something, so if any Chicoans want it you can get it there now, apparently.

dropscone
08-09-2006, 02:02 PM
...how gross it was when we took the top off and found mold. :sick:

But such pretty pink mould! :silly:

Miso Vegan
08-09-2006, 02:18 PM
But such pretty pink mould! :silly:
Oh my, no, this was dark grey...

My first can did not mold. I think this one sat a little longer in the fridge because I was out of strawberries.

gur
08-15-2006, 09:22 PM
i've been reading this thread with envy and FINALLY; word on the street is that soyatoo has arrived in canada and it's in my city for $6. i'm totally going to score some tomorrow. :drool:

Vegtink
08-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Ahh I bought some at ar2006 but have yet to try it. I shall have to get on that.

Miso Vegan
08-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Ahh I bought some at ar2006 but have yet to try it.
WTF??

;)

Vegtink
08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
It has been a hectic couple of days at my house. I shall go home and shoot it directly into my mouth and enjoy.

Dandelion
08-16-2006, 02:34 PM
It has been a hectic couple of days at my house. I shall go home and shoot it directly into my mouth and enjoy.
*takes finger off the BAN button*
;)

mishka
08-16-2006, 11:17 PM
My friend is back from her trip to Seattle and Portland, and brought me back some Soyatoo from Food Fight! I just got it today...

http://static.flickr.com/79/217365921_6ec85fdfa1_m.jpg

It's a bit soybeany, but still tasty. and frothy. and not too sweet. :drool:

IncredibleWeirdo
08-17-2006, 12:23 AM
YESYESYES!!

We now carry Soyatoo at Whole Foods in Chicago (specifically, the Lincoln Park store where I work).

I.Dub

Dandelion
08-17-2006, 12:30 AM
YESYESYES!!

We now carry Soyatoo at Whole Foods in Chicago (specifically, the Lincoln Park store where I work).

I.Dub
// /
O_i__|

quagga
08-17-2006, 01:25 AM
My friend is back from her trip to Seattle and Portland, and brought me back some Soyatoo from Food Fight! I just got it today...

http://static.flickr.com/79/217365921_6ec85fdfa1_m.jpg

It's a bit soybeany, but still tasty. and frothy. and not too sweet. :drool:

You are so cute! Like a soyatoo gremlin or somethin'

gur
08-19-2006, 12:40 PM
i finally have soyatoo! it is a bit beany and "yes, a wee bit more sugar please!" but the texture is great and it's fun to squirt. :silly:

grog
08-19-2006, 12:43 PM
the texture is great and it's fun to squirt. :silly:

truer words have never been spoken.

mamaquilla
08-19-2006, 04:47 PM
YES! someone who agrees with me at least a little, more sugar PUHLEASE :silly:

Dandelion
08-19-2006, 09:24 PM
so today at whole foods i showed herbi what she was missing since she hasn't been on VR. i dramatically whisked a can of Soyatoo off the shelf and showed her. We also picked up a Amy's vegan pizza that herbi was skeptical about. :) Thank you VeganRepresenters! :happy:

grog
08-19-2006, 09:34 PM
the amy's no cheese pizza is great, that one? i can't believe she hadn't tried it.

Dandelion
08-19-2006, 09:50 PM
the amy's no cheese pizza is great, that one? i can't believe she hadn't tried it.
no G, the vegan soy cheese (rice crust) pizza! i swear there was a post of this new pizza around here but i can't find it.

bluedawg
08-19-2006, 10:04 PM
1. i thought herbi got you soyatoo for your birthday? am i making this up? i thought you found it in the fridge.

2. i don't remember a post about the new amy's pizza, but i did read about it in VegNews a few days ago. keep us posted!

gur
08-19-2006, 10:05 PM
1. i thought herbi got you soyatoo for your birthday? am i making this up? i thought you found it in the fridge.

i thought so too! in a brown paper bag.

bluedawg
08-19-2006, 10:18 PM
yes! thank you, i was afraid i'd gone crazy.

grog
08-19-2006, 10:20 PM
no G, the vegan soy cheese (rice crust) pizza! i swear there was a post of this new pizza around here but i can't find it.

you posted a dis about rice cheese in the mochi cheeze thread. that's all I recall. y'all.

bird
08-19-2006, 10:59 PM
bluedawg, that confused me at first too, and I thought the same thing. Then I realized he probably means not that she wasn't aware that Soyatoo existed, just that it's now carried at their local Whole Foods (because according to IncredibleWeirdo's recent post, they just started stocking it there).

Dandelion
08-19-2006, 11:09 PM
1. yes herbi got me a can of Soyatoo from FoodFight (in the fridge in a brown paper bag, points to you! :kiss:) and lamented 'awww man i didn't know they had it here!'. i interjected 'no, it's a new product, they just got it (pointing to the "new" sign)'.

2. maybe i read it somewhere else then but yes, Amy's vegan pizza! (can we get an Amy's thread?!) Grog, yeah rice cheese is teh sux0r but this is soy cheese rice crust but i still am skepty of frozen pizza. still i must represent and at least try it. :)

grog
08-19-2006, 11:16 PM
oh.

:skeptical:

Dandelion
08-19-2006, 11:17 PM
bluedawg, that confused me at first too, and I thought the same thing. Then I realized he probably means not that she wasn't aware that Soyatoo existed, just that it's now carried at their local Whole Foods (because according to IncredibleWeirdo's recent post, they just started stocking it there).
bird knows what time it is :cool:

Dandelion
08-19-2006, 11:17 PM
oh.

:skeptical:
skeptical on the pizza tip?

grog
08-19-2006, 11:22 PM
yes.

maybe I should quote.

vegematic
08-20-2006, 01:25 PM
2. maybe i read it somewhere else then but yes, Amy's vegan pizza! (can we get an Amy's thread?!) Grog, yeah rice cheese is teh sux0r but this is soy cheese rice crust but i still am skepty of frozen pizza. still i must represent and at least try it. :)

Have you double and triple-checked the ingredients? (I'm sure you have, but it seems too good to be true...) Because all the soy-cheeze pizzas I've seen, including Amy's, contain casein to make the cheeze melty. I'll be ever-so-excited if Amy's has upgraded their product !!!

Oh, and just to stay on-topic with the thread...are the Soyatoo cans really not recyclable? Has anyone looked into that possibility?

-vegematic

Dandelion
08-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Have you double and triple-checked the ingredients? (I'm sure you have, but it seems too good to be true...) Because all the soy-cheeze pizzas I've seen, including Amy's, contain casein to make the cheeze melty. I'll be ever-so-excited if Amy's has upgraded their product !!!

Amy's Website (http://www.amys.com/products/category_view.php?prod_category=3)

Rice Crust Spinach Pizza
INGREDIENTS : (VEGAN) ORGANIC RICE FLOUR, FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC TOMATO PUREE, SOY CHEEZE - MOZZARELLA TYPE (FILTERED WATER, EXPELLER PRESSED CANOLA OIL, TOFU [SOYBEANS, CALCIUM SULFATE], INULIN [A NATURAL EXTRACT OF CHICORY], SOY PROTEIN, AGAR AGAR, SEA SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR [VEGAN], CARRAGEENAN [FROM SEA WEED], LACTIC ACID [VEGAN], CALCIUM CARBONATE), ORGANIC SUNFLOWER SEED MEAL, ORGANIC SPINACH, TAPIOCA FLOUR, ORGANIC POTATOES, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, ORGANIC AGAVE NECTAR, ORGANIC SOY CHEEZE--RICOTTA TYPE (WATER, ORGANIC SOYBEANS, ORGANIC BROWN RICE SYRUP, NATURAL FLAVORS, ORGANIC EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, SALT, HERBS, MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE [A NATURAL SEA MINERAL], LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE), ORAGNIC ONIONS, ORGANIC TOFU (FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC SOYBEANS, NIGARI [MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, A NATURAL FIRMING AGENT]), EXPELLER PRESSED HIGH OLEIC SAFFLOWER OIL, SEA SALT, ORGANIC GARLIC, SPICES, ORGANIC RED ONIONS, YEAST, ORGANIC EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, SOY LECITHIN, ORGANIC TAMARI (WHEAT FREE). CONTAINS SOY AND SUNFLOWER SEEDS.

Whole foods even put a VEGAN tag next to the product!

vegematic
08-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks Dandi,
I've not seen that particular pizza before...now I'll have to go looking for it!
-veg

grog
08-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Oh, and just to stay on-topic with the thread...are the Soyatoo cans really not recyclable?

I'm pretty sure that's what was said. To me, its an inherently disposeable, needless, product. I try to avoid those. Recycling isn't really that effective.

</removes halo>

bluedawg
08-20-2006, 03:00 PM
[off-topic]vegematic, the rice crust/soy cheese pizza is a brand new addition, and they're using vegan gourmet follow your heart mozz as the cheese.[/ot]

QrkyMoon
08-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Soyatoo rocks!!!! We got some over the weekend in Chicago and it was amazing! Then today when I went to Whole Foods in Ann Arbor they had it!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I cannot wait to try the Amy's pizza! I was complaining the other day that all of Amy's gluten free products aren't vegan... and now they have at least one that is!!

Dandelion
11-24-2006, 11:12 AM
i dunno if it's doing poorly or what but Soyatoo is on sale at WholeFoods.

veganshawn
11-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Our can broke and we had to throw it out.

xScotty Jimx
11-24-2006, 11:18 AM
I had bought some and in the first week or so all the gas leaked out. I was kinda pissed as it was 5 bucks.

neverfeltbetter
11-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Our can broke and we had to throw it out.

how disappointing was that? my pumpkin pie was nekkid. did you suck the nitrous out while i wasn't looking?

veganshawn
11-24-2006, 11:51 AM
how disappointing was that? my pumpkin pie was nekkid. did you suck the nitrous out while i wasn't looking?

I think Lucy did ;)

neverfeltbetter
11-24-2006, 11:51 AM
I think Lucy did ;)

yo' mama did.

gladcow
11-24-2006, 03:37 PM
I was very pleased to see Soyatoo at my local NFS. It was on sale as well, but I think it's just because of the whole pumpkin pie connection.

downwithapathy
12-09-2006, 03:05 AM
Are there other brands to consider? Soyatoo did not impress me (it lasted about two squirts before going all drizzly and then ran out super-quickly as soon as spacehippy and I bought soy ice cream). What is hip whip? Does it still exist? I know a lot of Cool Whip-like brands are vegan except for casein (argh :)). I'm not in urgent need. I just like the idea of something existing that I don't have to whip myself.

dropscone
12-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Well, I think the cartons of soyatoo which you're supposed to have to whip have a semi- whipped consistency anyway, they're certainly pretty thick - if you weren't impressed with the cans but you liked the taste that's something to consider.

green_ivy
12-09-2006, 10:21 AM
My Soyatoo cans seemed to last a while. Maybe you got stuck with a dud can, Sonja?

Miso Vegan
12-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Seems like a lot of people are getting Soyatoo duds. That's a bummer. I have yet to get a bad can, and haven't had anyone complain at Sidecar, either, although I don't work often.

dropscone, as far as I know, we don't have cartons of Soyatoo over here.... :mad:

Sonja, Hip Whip is no longer available. The company that made it was Now and Zen, and they just closed.
The only others would be accidentally-vegan ones (I think the brand around here is Rich's), which may not have animal biproducts but do have other crap in 'em.

Flower
12-09-2006, 09:11 PM
I've only had one can of Soyatoo. It was good, but like others said, mine putzed out after a few squirts. :umm:

bluedawg
12-11-2006, 10:29 AM
dropscone, as far as I know, we don't have cartons of Soyatoo over here.... :mad:
i just got an email from vegan essentials this morning and look what they have now!

Soyatoo Organic Topping Cream (Heavy Cream Substitute) - Imported from the UK, this heavy cream subsitute can be whipped up into a frothy dessert topping or used as a substitute in recipes.
:banana:

also, for whatever stupid reason, i always feel the need to chime in that my original soyatoo can (that i've had for ages) is still going strong. :)

gur
12-11-2006, 02:34 PM
also, for whatever stupid reason, i always feel the need to chime in that my original soyatoo can (that i've had for ages) is still going strong. :)
since MAY?!?! :o don't those things expire?

i like that the cartons are available now (maybe they'll migrate their way up to canada soon), i only ever bought one can of soyatoo and never finished it. :umm: not sweet enough for any of us to want to eat it - as fun as it was (until the can stopped working anyway). heh.
of course, i'm assuming sugar and vanilla (or other flavours), can be added to the carton stuff and it'll still whip up. :)

Jezabel*Propaganda
12-11-2006, 06:06 PM
its very good for making trifle and is good in the centre of sponge cake with jam..........mmmm

bluedawg
12-11-2006, 06:12 PM
since MAY?!?! :o don't those things expire?hmmmmmmm. good question.

*intermission*

yes, but not until 11/07/07!

*squirts some for a snack*

still works!

Emiloid
12-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Uh... that expiration date might mean if it's unopened! But if it seems OK and you're not hallucinating or getting numb, then I suppose it's probably safe!

bluedawg
12-11-2006, 07:04 PM
heh, no, it tastes just fine. i've had it in the fridge the whole time, maybe that helps?

i'll let you know if the furniture starts talking to me!

atouria
12-11-2006, 07:38 PM

:banana: Party at bluedawg's house!! :banana:

Miso Vegan
12-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Y'know, that canister's airtight. If you start hearing conversation from the furniture, bluedawg, that'd be your other drugs. :silly:

grog
12-11-2006, 07:57 PM
heh, no, it tastes just fine. i've had it in the fridge the whole time, maybe that helps?

its not like its got quick-to-rot animal proteins in it.

gur
12-11-2006, 09:27 PM
its not like its got quick-to-rot animal proteins in it.
i've seen quick to rot tofu, it was not pretty. :sick:

p.s. i'm ell oh elling at the talking furniture, bluedawg. :laugh:

downwithapathy
12-11-2006, 10:59 PM

Does anyone else remember the short-lived late 90s comedy, "Teen Angel?" It was about a teenager who ate an old burger he found under his friend's bed (on a dare), died, and came back as his friend's guardian angel. ... The title character looked a lot like someone I had a crush on at the time. :blush:

stegan
12-12-2006, 08:56 AM
I've had my canister since some time in the summer and it's still going strong. Although that darn ikea chair keeps yelling at me in swedish....

DTN
12-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Does anyone else remember the short-lived late 90s comedy, "Teen Angel?" It was about a teenager who ate an old burger he found under his friend's bed (on a dare), died, and came back as his friend's guardian angel. ... The title character looked a lot like someone I had a crush on at the time. :blush:
I remember that.......was Jason Priestly in that or am I thinking of something else.......

bluedawg
12-12-2006, 01:42 PM
I've had my canister since some time in the summer and it's still going strong. Although that darn ikea chair keeps yelling at me in swedish....
POANG!!

gur
12-12-2006, 02:51 PM

grog
12-06-2007, 04:14 PM
i just got some of this in a can from Raleys. Texture is good. Taste not so good for me. Tastes...malty...

Miso Vegan
12-06-2007, 05:03 PM
You and I have such different tastes. :no:

Did you try it straight, or in/on something yummy?

grog
12-06-2007, 05:15 PM
straight.

bluedawg
12-06-2007, 05:54 PM
hmmmmmmm. good question.

*intermission*

yes, but not until 11/07/07!

*squirts some for a snack*

still works!hee, just realized i'm a month past expiration now. should i go test it? :silly:

Miso Vegan
12-06-2007, 06:08 PM
bluedawg: yes.

grog: try it on something.

grog
12-06-2007, 06:14 PM
well, i had it on top of hot chocolate. its not bad, it just tastes malted, which is weird, and i'm not a huge fan of malt. it does taste creamy and sweet enough for me.

Miso Vegan
12-06-2007, 06:17 PM
That's really odd, malted is definitely not a word I'd use to describe it.

Relatedly, I wonder if Soyatoo sorted out the defective bottle problem of last year.

ConsciousCuisine
12-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Yes, they have very detailed instructions on the container now. I think initially, my family had about 5 that were bad and so stopped buying them for a while. We just started back up and the problem seems to have been resolved IF the instructions are followed carefully (you need to let it sit for like 20 minutes before using, hold it a certain way etc.).

Chijou_no_seiza
12-08-2007, 08:50 PM
1/2 my can of soyatoo won't come out. :umm: maybe I waited too long, I guess I could try following the instructions... :silly:

I'm not a fan of whipped cream but it was good for what it was. And it didn't taste malty at all to me either.

Miso Vegan
12-08-2007, 10:33 PM
I have heard of that happening, but only here on VRF. Wait, no, one customer at Sidecar said that happened to him.

So, there's a specific procedure, both for using, and for cleaning. There's a link in this thread somewhere. We follow those and never have a problem, but it could be the bottle you have. :umm:

lullured
01-07-2008, 04:51 AM
I bought both the carton and the can, but I have now given away the carton - that stuff is just too sweet and artificial for me :umm: I have used the canned stuff on some bananas though, but otherwise it is just laying in the fridge. I had also hoped that I would be able to use it for something at my last b-day party, but my sister thought it was yucky. On the other side everybody liked my vegan cakes at the party which makes my first vegan b-day party a succes :laugh:

Miso Vegan
01-07-2008, 08:23 PM
That's odd - most [American] people find it not sweet enough, because it's a sweetened to European tastes.

And, the ingredients are all natural (and even mostly organic) - not sure if that's what you meant by "artificial?"

Anyway, glad the cake/birthday was a success! :thumbsup:

lullured
01-08-2008, 06:07 AM
I guess it tasted artificial compared to whipped cream made from cows milk. Or maybe it's because I have never had whipped cream from a can before. Or maybe it could be that I just don't like the combination of the ingredients :umm:

Anyway, I think I am going to make the cake that I made for my birthday, with or without the whipped cream :laugh: It is my favorite cake and in my second attempt I made it taste just like in my pregan days.

Is it normal for Americans to sweeten regular whipped cream?

Miso Vegan
01-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Is it normal for Americans to sweeten regular whipped cream?

Ohhhh yes. Very sweet.

MissLovely
01-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Normal canned whip cream is very sweet. Most coffee shops that use fresh (cow) whipped cream are slightly sweet.

I find soyatoo to be sweeter than my old espresso can panna habit.
I only buy it because it's fun.

Chijou-I did have trouble with my first can, until I carefully read and followed the directions. It happened to the whole lot of us Food Fight customers.

quagga
01-08-2008, 01:41 PM
A local restaurant offers Soyatoo whipped topping on its lattes - the owner reports that they regularly experiene problems with the Soyatoo cans. He considers it a cost of doing business, though it's frustrating for him.

[Chico Vegans - Grilla Bites on Cohasset has the Soyatoo. I had a wonderful peppermint mocha latte there last week.]

Emiloid
01-15-2008, 09:01 PM
We just tried the kind of Soyatoo that you whip yourself. (Oooh, kinky!) It tasted like the spray kind, so... in my opinion... OK, but not great. It was still really liquid when we used it, but I'm not sure if that was user error or not. :p We didn't whip it for very long. Hey, don't criticize; we were really eager to get to dessert!

Sunne
01-15-2008, 09:25 PM
I love Soyatoo:drool:...I always have at least one can on hand...er in the refrigerator.

grog
01-15-2008, 10:15 PM
We just tried the kind of Soyatoo that you whip yourself. (Oooh, kinky!) It tasted like the spray kind, so... in my opinion... OK, but not great. It was still really liquid when we used it, but I'm not sure if that was user error or not. :p We didn't whip it for very long. Hey, don't criticize; we were really eager to get to dessert!

where did you get it?

petaske'kwe'
01-15-2008, 10:26 PM
I think I figured out why sometimes the Soyatoo won't come out of the can.

When you shake the can, the whipped cream inside kind of sticks together in a big glob. You have to make sure that the glob ends up at the dispenser end of the can instead of the bottom end. If it ends up at the bottom end, all you will dispense is the propellant (nitrous gas?). Then you will run out of propellant before you run out of cream so the rest won't come out of the can.

Bottom line, make sure that when you shake the can, you end up shaking the cream down towards the dispenser, even though the instructions tell you to shake the can upright.

I think the problems are worse when the soyatoo is very cold, because it clumps together in the can more.

sitting_vegan
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
My sister says to shake the can like you are shaking down an oldfashioned thermometer.

Whip it good!

gladcow
01-15-2008, 11:32 PM

did you refrigerate it before whipping? I ask because it's on the directions, but I very nearly overlooked it (I took it out of the cupboard shortly before planning to use it and ended up throwing it in the fridge and procrastinating on starting breakfast so it would get cold).

Emiloid
01-17-2008, 09:33 PM
where did you get it?
We got it in Weaverville, at the Tops market. They have a lot of veggie stuff, surprisingly.

did you refrigerate it before whipping? I ask because it's on the directions, but I very nearly overlooked it (I took it out of the cupboard shortly before planning to use it and ended up throwing it in the fridge and procrastinating on starting breakfast so it would get cold).

Actually, when we got it, it was refrigerated, so I didn't even think not to put it in the fridge.

The problem was no doubt user error. We had it two other nights (after I posted) and it was more firm. We whipped it. Whipped it good. Whipped it real good! ...But still not for very long. Dude, we had pie to eat! Time's a wastin'!

vegancupcake
04-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Vegan.
Whipped.
Cream.
Is best squirted directly into mouth or on top of smlove pie (v'con).
Really, really good. Almost no soyish taste and available at every whole foods on planet earth. (I think).

gladcow
04-18-2008, 10:04 PM
*merged*

again

vegancupcake
04-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Damn! I always do this.
Fortunately, gladcow is a shining beacon of patience (I hope).

gladcow
04-18-2008, 10:09 PM
gladcow is a shining beacon of patience! :sunny:

gladcow is not, however, being paid *ahem* :blank: so, um, keep that in mind :p

vegancupcake
04-18-2008, 10:12 PM
yes, ma'am. *salutes*

thejiveguru
11-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Has anyone tried the soy-free Soyatoo whipped cream? I thought the regular one was okay, but a little too soy-y. :p I've only tried the can not the carton if that makes a difference.

Miso Vegan
11-27-2009, 11:18 PM
The carton tastes better than the can. The soy free is very, very rice-y.

bluemango
11-28-2009, 01:19 PM
We tried Soyatoo at our vegan family Thanksgiving for the first time this year, piled on top of my mom's famous streusel apple pie, and everyone loved it!! :):drool:

thejiveguru
11-29-2009, 11:03 AM
The carton tastes better than the can. The soy free is very, very rice-y.

Aw :(

Maybe I'll try the carton one next time. And by next time I probably mean next Thanksgiving since I don't foresee needing that much whipped cream in the next year. Hopefully I'm wrong.