PDA

View Full Version : D'OH, do I have to?

madpogue
03-28-2003, 12:22 PM
Okay. I guess I'll retell the lame story of how Julie and I finally went truly vegan.

We went veg in about 1986. A few years later we stopped buying dairy, eggs, etc. for home, but would go out for the occasional ice cream or pizza w/cheese. That lasted about five years, at which point we became "visible vegans". We wouldn't, say, get cheese on a pizza, but we would still grab a muffin, knowing it might contain eggs.

It was our trip to the 1997 Farm Sanctuary Hoe-down that put us "over the top". Being among so many kindred spirits, and being in the presence of those amazing animals, we decided we could no longer look the other way when it came to the less noticeable animal ingredients in what we ate.

For anyone still sitting the fence, go to Farm Sanctuary. Stand next to one of those cows. I can't think of a more powerful, direct, personal way to connect with animals typically exploited for human food, and with how wrong it is to exploit them.

Vegit-8
03-28-2003, 12:33 PM
madpogue.
Nothing lame about that story.
Welcome and thanks for telling your story.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8 :)

purplemackerel
03-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Hi there. :banana: Farm Sanctuary seems to have 'converted' a lot of people to veganism. I sometimes wonder about the VMB goose (I think Samuel) that someone on the old board adopted for the VMB.

dragonfly
03-29-2003, 04:58 PM
i think that we all can relate to the fencesitting feeling. Welcome to the boards and thanks for your story.

herbi
03-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Hey Madpogue-- are you mad for the Pogues? 'cause I am!!! One of my all-time favorite bands...
(Oh yeah, and welcome & stuff... :) )