PDA

View Full Version : Great Books turned into Lousy Movies

FarmerStephen
05-04-2005, 03:44 AM
I know there is a couple of book threads, and a favorite movie thread, but I did'nt find one about books turned into movies. If there is one, sorry, I'm new :confused: .
Anyways, I saw Hitchhiker's Guide, last night, alright movie, lame compared to the book. Why is this always the case when FollyWood gets ahold of good literature. I understand it's hard to take something so cerebral and turn it into something mainly visual, but I say, do'nt make it if you ca'nt stick to the outline of the book. Anyone else with me on this??

Other Awesome Books turned into Lousy Movies....
HitchHikers Guide - I know, lets get rid of the dialogue, and replace it with lame special effects - Lame
Less Than Zero - Good Movie, but of course they could'nt make everyone Bisexual in the flick - Lame...
The Beach - with Leonardo Dicaprio as the star, he's got to fu** all the women, right? - Lame
Fight Club - a valiant attempt, a little shy of the books real revolutionary zeal & American disillusionment - Sorta Lame
Lord of the Rings Trilogy - The best books to movies I've seen, but I still lament the loss of singing, smoking, Tom Bombadill & the Rivers Daughter - Good Try

you can file this thread under 'See, FarmerStephen is a book nerd'....... :umm:

Tofuy
05-04-2005, 03:56 AM
haven't seen it. but some people from my oral traditions class were quoting entire pages of the book in perkins tonight. we've had to do some pretty crazy memory assignments/exersizes for that class.

where did the movie fail? how should i expect to be let down? i am very concerned.

Oatmeal Girl
05-04-2005, 09:28 AM
"Congo" by Michael Crichton. Oh man. Any pretty much any Stephen King story is demolished in film.

stegan
05-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Mosquito Coast- Paul Theroux - Not even close.

To this we could add- Lord of The Flies, Great Gatsby, um, I'm sure there are others. I'm just glad no one's been insane enough to try to do Catcher In The Rye....

LazyGirl
05-04-2005, 10:03 AM
This is why I usually make a choice to either read the book or see the movie - not both. One of the rare exceptions to this general rule was Interview With A Vampire. In that case, I think the movie was actually better than the book while keeping the general spirit. I think that Anne Rice had a lot of influence on the script in that case. Now, Queen of the Damned, on the other hand - pure dreck. Both movies screwed up my favorite character (Armond, of course!), but I at least enjoyed the Antonio Banderas interpretation.

gladcow
05-04-2005, 10:06 AM
All of this is why I have a new movie-book policy:

see the movie first and then read the book. If you have already read the book, don't see the movie.

See, the movie will always be alright and if you haven't read the book, you can appreciate it. Then you read the book, which is always better, and you are not dissappointed.
Ask me if I've actually done this :blank:

diginixy
05-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Yeah that's hollywood for ya. What I am worried about though is when they turn "The Da Vinci" code into a movie. I wonder how that one will be. I love the book (read it several times), and it's set to be released in May '06. Hopefully this one will not be a flop like the others :umm:

stegan
05-04-2005, 10:21 AM
I remembered one I had previously forgotten- "Fever Pitch"- TWICE! I honestly haven't seen the second version yet, but the book has little if any romance in it, which was the main theme of the first one, and evidently the second as well. Where are the bloody soccer matches?!?!?!?

misanthropy
05-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Well of course the movies aren't ever going to be as good as the books. They have a limited amount of time to squeeze in all the storyline and character development.

Dandelion
05-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Well of course the movies aren't ever going to be as good as the books. They have a limited amount of time to squeeze in all the storyline and character development.
actually no movie can ever compete with what the imagination brings to stories read.
that being said i think movies from books are great when you take them for what they're worth.

that being said Hitchhikers was embarrassingly awful. Never read the books but i can see how they would be a fun read regardless of the movie. the movie pushed some of my pet peeve buttons...who did the design for the book animations? old UK raver kids? :p

Naked Lunch...now there's a movie that made just about as much sense as the book! i think i loved them both or maybe hated, i'm still not sure. :silly:

Interview with a Vampire was ok, the little girl made it. Queen of the Damned was my fave in the book series but on screen it was crap, oh except for some visuals like the Akasha in her sleep and all was just how i imagined it. Storywise it was cornball, maybe that's just Rice coming through though. ;) DOH!

EvilDead1 was GREAT! oh wait...that wasn't a book. :D

stegan
05-04-2005, 01:14 PM
that being said i think movies from books are great when you take them for what they're worth.

My favorite example of that is Trainspotting. Totally different movie than book, but both were fantastic for what they were.

Mason
05-04-2005, 02:57 PM
"Congo" by Michael Crichton. Oh man. Any pretty much any Stephen King story is demolished in film.How about The Dead Zone? Stand by Me, Misery, The Shawshank Redemption....

ott
05-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Battlefield Earth. The book is one of the best I've ever read. The movie was horrid, not even by comparison.

matriarco
05-04-2005, 05:54 PM
You know, I saw Hitchhiker's Guide the other night and thought I liked it until I reread the book. It was entertaining and fun at the time but oh man is it far from the book. Except for in silly details, which are strangely accurate. It did have more character depth, though, I thought, and I thought that Zaphod was a pretty funny, if typical, Bush parody, but no one else seemed to feel that way.

I'm a little nervous about Ender's Game. That book was such a huge part of my childhood. The movie could either be great or a wreck.

grog
05-04-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm a little nervous about Ender's Game. That book was such a huge part of my childhood. The movie could either be great or a wreck.

Orson Scott Card right? I need to read that, its one of the classics that somehow I missed in my youth.

Mason
05-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Battlefield Earth. The book is one of the best I've ever read. The movie was horrid, not even by comparison.Good one, ott! I was so young when I read that book that I remember it being quite heavy to carry around. I was always so excited when I head a new rumor about the movie. Eventually I just gave up on the idea. But when it actually happened - Oy!

seitanicvegan
05-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Whenever a movie comes from a book, I always try to read the book after I see the movie. Usually, the book is much, much better than the movie. If I see the movie first, I won't be disappointed with a half-way or substandard or incomplete version of the book. I can forgive a movie for deviating from a book if the movie tells a story well and offers some eye candy.

The one exception for me: Forrest Gump. The movie was decent. The book sucked. As a literature fiend (I'm one of those bookworm weirdos who reads Beowulf in the original Old English . . . for fun), I'm hopelessly attached to all of my books, even the 200-some-odd volumes in my must-read-tomorrow pile. I don't lend my books to anyone. Ever. I gave Forrest Gump away first chance I got.

ohbugs
05-04-2005, 07:52 PM
I've heard rumors that Dave Egger's Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is going to be adapted into a movie. I cringed upon hearing this (I can't recall the source at the moment) because I think it's safe to say that there's no way a movie rendition could ever do the book justice.

Emiloid
05-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Holes was an amazing book and a so-so movie. Nothing like the book, even though the plot and characters were pretty much the same.

Just for the record, I thought Stephen King's The Shining was a better book than movie, but the movie is a masterpiece while the book is only really good. Heh. It's all relative....

mandrake
05-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Ditto on David Eggers. That's a train wreck waiting to happen.

I'm disappointed in both versions of Lolita. There's no way that Humpbert Humpbert's intricate internal monologue could ever translate properly to the screen.

I'm going to see HHGTG tomorrow with my sister, but I have a feeling I'm going to hate it. I actually found the first book in the "trilogy" at a book fair in the fourth or fifth grade. I still randomly tell people, "42." I'm totally bringing a towel to the theater...and a bag of peanuts...this is way off-topic. Sorry.

jenzie
05-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Because I like to post about stuff that's the opposite of the purpose of the thread (Seattle Seattle Seattle!!! ;) :p ), I'd just like to say that, while I think the Harry Potter books are the best best best ever, I reeeally like the movies too! And, they also did a good job with the Series of Unfortunate Events books-to-movie deal. :happy: I don't have any complaints, because I never expect the movie to hold true to the book.

*runs and hides from FarmerStephen*

FarmerStephen
05-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Your safe if you stay in Sea-town, I was shot at and chased by the po' helicopters near the Dome there in the late 90's, only way I'll go back is in a black benz limo with the cellular phone... Ya feel me :yes:

jenzie
05-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Your safe if you stay in Sea-town, I was shot at and chased by the po' helicopters near the Dome there in the late 90's, only way I'll go back is in a black benz limo with the cellular phone... Ya feel me :yes:

Yeah, the Dome is in Tacoma, and um, it's a tad "rougher" down there. The po po up here are so kick back... they've even called a taxi for me before when I was a bit too drunk! Weeee! Hehee. ;)

thecatspajamas
05-04-2005, 09:59 PM
The "Catwoman" movie with Halle Berry was nowhere near as good as the comic books...

Sin City, on the other hand, was hands down the best adaptation from comic to screen ever. Most loyal, most exact, captured the mood, characters, and everything exactly. If you haven't read the books, do so, then go see the movie. If you've already seen the movie, pick up the books and check to see if anything looks familiar.

jenzie
05-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Sin City, on the other hand, was hands down the best adaptation from comic to screen ever. Most loyal, most exact, captured the mood, characters, and everything exactly. If you haven't read the books, do so, then go see the movie. If you've already seen the movie, pick up the books and check to see if anything looks familiar.

Can't believe I forgot about Sin City! Doh. But yeah, I agree, excellent adaptation!

Nanashi
05-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Yeah, the Dome is in Tacoma, and um, it's a tad "rougher" down there. The po po up here are so kick back... they've even called a taxi for me before when I was a bit too drunk! Weeee! Hehee. ;)

We used to have the Kingdome. It was in the same place as the Seahawk Stadium today. It wasn't paid for yet so the best idea we had was tear it down and build two stadiums instead.

Oh, what thread is this anyway... um good book, bad movie eh. I should have some input there... um... aah forget it. I got nuthin' right now.

bird
05-05-2005, 03:28 AM
EvilDead1 was GREAT! oh wait...that wasn't a book. :DI can't bring myself to watch that yet, because horror flicks always leave me with lasting nightmares, even cheesy, campy ones. But I just wanted to say, OMG, I :heart: :heart: :heart: Bruce Campbell!!! I just bought his first book and am making my way through it now. By the time I'm done I may well have to sit through the trilogy just to see what the hell he's talking about. Can't wait 'til his second book comes out.

theveganmary
05-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Battlefield Earth. The book is one of the best I've ever read. The movie was horrid, not even by comparison.

Man, you're the only person besides my dad I've ever come across who read that, too! It's one of the best books I've ever read. I haven't seen the movie, but I can tell it's lame. I read it when I was maybe fourteen (fifteen years ago), and I've been thinking of giving it a reread before I start school again in a month. Awesome to run into another appreciator of it.

theveganmary
05-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Hellboy. AWESOME comic series. SH*TTY film.

walrus
05-17-2005, 10:17 PM
"Congo" by Michael Crichton. Oh man. Any pretty much any Stephen King story is demolished in film.
The Green Mile was almost exactly like the book. I thought they did a great job with it.

Climbo
05-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Passion of the Christ totally flarked up what I wrote in the Bible. Mel could have consulted me on part of it. What an asshole.

You're right.

Dandelion
05-18-2005, 11:50 AM
I can't bring myself to watch that yet, because horror flicks always leave me with lasting nightmares, even cheesy, campy ones. But I just wanted to say, OMG, I :heart: :heart: :heart: Bruce Campbell!!! I just bought his first book and am making my way through it now. By the time I'm done I may well have to sit through the trilogy just to see what the hell he's talking about. Can't wait 'til his second book comes out.
oh don't get me started on bruce campbell! i saw him in person at the BubbaHotep opening and he was twice as smart, witty and charming as i imagined!

YourFoodIsBleeding
05-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Friggin' Series of Unfortunate Events. As childish as it is, I've read 11 of the books (Still waiting for the last two to come out) and I loved them. The movie, however, ENRAGED me. So far, there isn't an ending to the story so whoever came up with the movie idea completely made something up for an ending that hasn't happened in ANY OF THE 11 MOVIES WRITTEN!!! (Sorry, I'm a little bitter...)

trichaos
05-18-2005, 01:29 PM
The Cat in the Hat should've never inspired a movie. Dr. Seuss was not meant to be converted to live action outside of our imaginations. In the words of Napoleon Dynamite- "This is pretty much the worst video ever made".

Dandelion
05-18-2005, 02:38 PM
this could be said for the visualization of any printed work. this is what some misunderstood filmakers are trying to get at. movies that inspire the imagination and ideas instead of serving them up on a platter. films that exist in their own right rather than a conduit to boil down a story for the ma$$es.

The Cat in the Hat should've never inspired a movie. Dr. Seuss was not meant to be converted to live action outside of our imaginations.
ps-you caught me on a ranty day! :D

attackferret
05-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Dune - somehow i've seen both movies.. and they're both awful. Loved the book.

I Dreamed of Africa - The book was awesome. And it was an autobiography. In the movie they not only changed the plot, but conveniently left out 'unimportant' characters such as the main character's daughter. wtf?

The Mists of Avalon - ok, it was made for TV.. but it was still worse than I could have imagined it

While I haven't read it, I hear that they changed the ending of Secret Window for the better in the movie. I loved that movie.

I also love Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory despite reading the book.. because Gene Wilder is just that cool (and the Johnny Depp version looks promising).

Last new movie for this post, the book version of A Little Princess is adorable, and the movie is badly done in almost every aspect imaginable. Very sad.

As for movies already mentioned.. the Holes movie wasn't as good as the book, but I think they did a good job with it.

I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy directly before seeing the first movie. I didn't like any of the movies. Actually, I didn't think the books were all that great either.

I couldn't even get through the first of the Anne Rice books, it was dull and poorly written.

I haven't seen either of the Dr. Seuss live action movies, both are an affront to my childhood.

Finally, Battlefield Earth is the scientology one, right? I haven't read the book, but I watched it with some friends after being lectured on how it was the worst movie ever made. Under that context (and with a bit of booze) it was quite fun :p

kikkert
05-18-2005, 03:20 PM
I enjoyed reading Under the Tuscan Sun during a lazy week in summer a few years ago. Even with the meat and cheese references, it made me hungry for a garden and want to cook fresh pasta and fruit tartlets and buy only the best olive oil. And work with my hands and renovate a crumbly home. And travel, of course, to warm climes to drink wine on verandas and watch sunsets.

Then a movie by the same name came out. The trailer sounded nothing like the book, but was somehow based on it. The director should have come up with her own title, changed the character's name to Fiona or something, and they would have had a stand alone, sappy movie. But no..... as a reviewer aptly put it - it's "[a] patronizing, eye-rolling romantic fantasy aimed at lonely middle-aged women... a Harlequin novel of a movie." Quite different from the book, trust me.

dropscone
05-18-2005, 04:00 PM
The only book I can think of off hand that is worse than the movie is Fierce Creatures (which everyone panned when it came out in the cinema but I thought was rather sweet - just because it wasn't like A Fish Called Wanda didn't mean it didn't have some very good moments...but I digress) but I think that was just a book of the film, rather than having been written before hand.

The 39 Steps was probably enjoyable enough if you'd never read any John Buchan books - utterly failed to capture the book though, in all it's early 20th century un-PC glory.

Dracula - the version with Keanu Reeves. Awful.

Catch 22 - absolutely impossible to get even a twentieth of the nuances of the book into a film.

walrus
05-18-2005, 08:34 PM
In the words of Napoleon Dynamite- "This is pretty much the worst video ever made".
Ha!

I think you're obsessed.

FarmerStephen
05-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Along with the other children's books, What about Madeline. The Movie was'nt bad, but in the books she's at boarding school by choice, wheras in the Movie, she's this sad little orphan. I hate when they change the premis like this.

trichaos
05-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Ha!

I think you're obsessed.
Ha.. you should see this girl I work with. She's got ND magnets on her cabinet, and twice she's thrown random notes into my cube, I unfolded them and there's a quote real big in marker. One said "your mom goes to college", and the other "I'm training to be a cage fighter". I've got them hanging up now; the old people in my department have no idea what they mean.

trichaos
05-18-2005, 10:44 PM
wow walrus, you inspired my 400th post.. I must build you a cake or something. :D

Emiloid
05-19-2005, 01:31 AM
Ha.. you should see this girl I work with. She's got ND magnets on her cabinet, and twice she's thrown random notes into my cube, I unfolded them and there's a quote real big in marker. One said "your mom goes to college", and the other "I'm training to be a cage fighter". I've got them hanging up now; the old people in my department have no idea what they mean.
Sounds like serious flirting to me. Is this the gal you were going to make a picnic for?

trichaos
05-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Sounds like serious flirting to me. Is this the gal you were going to make a picnic for?
No, this gal at work is married, and I subscribe to the "don't eat where you sh*t" policy (don't date work people... I had a bad experience, another story altogether). This girl at work also made signs like that for our coordinator who sits one cube over, so I hope it wasn't a flirt tactic. :p Oh, to answer the picnic inquiry, I actually met her online (first success story for me in that arena) and we're going out again tonight.. woo-hoo! :)

bird
08-16-2006, 01:55 PM
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I don't care if it was directed by Elia Kazan.