PDA

View Full Version : Bread Machine recipes

kkohne
04-07-2005, 07:23 AM
My awesome hubby bought me a bread machine at a garage sale ($10!). I made my first loaf of bread last night and it was so NOT impressive - probably because I had to make some substitutions for non-vegan ingredients. Soooo.... I figured I'd ask for recipes that my buddies here could suggest. I found the bean and bran recipes and may try those. But I want more more more! :D

dropscone
04-07-2005, 12:02 PM
I make very simple breads - usually just

1lb strong white flour
a smidge over half a pint lukewarm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon maple syrup (or sugar, depending what I have)
three quarters of a teaspoon quick yeast.
2-3 spoonfuls olive oil, or a "glurg", if you will :)

That works fine on the normal bread cycle, as does doing half white, half wholemeal.

If I do all wholemeal flour I like to add other stuff to it, like a tablespoon or two of mixed herbs, or maybe some spices, some chopped onion, that kind of thing.

I also like Sundried tomato bread, which is any of the basic bread recipes with 6 or 7 sundried tomatoes chucked in - you don't need to worry about pre soaking them or cutting them up unless they're very dried up, as the breadmaker should sort of tear them up in the process of mixing.

Sometimes I add some oatmeal or ground flax seed for added nutritional value, but I'm never quite sure how much heat destroys the value of flax, so I don't do it that often.

kkohne
04-07-2005, 07:26 PM
I wonder if I'm using the wrong flour? What is "strong white flour?" Can I just use all purpose and add a little gluten or something?

spasticastic
04-08-2005, 12:06 AM
My experience with bread machines has been that ANY bread recipe will work. It doesn't have to be a "bread machine recipe". Just look for recipes for yeast breads that you like, throw in all the ingredients, and hit GO!

Then it's easy to find vegan recipes, as yeast bread secretly wants to be vegan. My favorite recipes are white bread like Ms. Scone described. A bunch of flour, some oil, warmish water, salt, yeast, sugar. That makes white bread, almost like dessert. You can also do a 50/50 mix oh white and wheat flour and it will always turn out. For day to day eating, I like 100% whole wheat. Whole wheat flour, yeast, water, oil, molasses, salt. But my real point is, you can look for any yaest recipe and it will probably work in the bread machine.

kristy
04-08-2005, 05:33 AM
Does anyone know of a good maize bread recipe? (not that I have a bread machine, I want to make it the old fashioned way)
I suppose I could use a traditional recipe and veganise it, but unfortuntely I don't have access to vegan egg substitutes like energ egg replacer, flaxseed, tofu and some of the other options suggested to me by you. Unfortunately all the recipes seem to include eggs.
Do you guys think adding some mashed pumpkin would work?
Oh, btw, does maize flour contain gluten?

kristy
04-08-2005, 05:34 AM
Another question...is the maize flour they use for maize breads the same they use for making polenta?