PDA

View Full Version : Carrabba's Italian Grill

VeganArtist
03-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Hey All,

Does anyone know which items are vegan at Carrabba's? I have been searching like crazy, but can't find any information. If you don't know, what would you personally order? I am going there tomorrow with my family for my dad's birthday, and I want to be prepared. :umm:

Here is the link to their menu:
http://www.carrabbas.com/menu_textonly.asp

bluedawg
03-06-2005, 03:29 PM
when i lived in texas i was fond of:

Tagliarini Picchi Pacchiu
Fine pasta in a sauce of crushed tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and basil
but i wasn't vegan then, so i didn't ask questions about the sauce... it *looks* relatively safe, though, and i always thought it was delicious! you could call ahead and double-check to make sure there's no hidden cheese in there anywhere, if it makes you feel more comfy. :)

trichaos
03-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Gotta be careful about eggs being in the pasta noodles. I read somewhere that the Olive Garden is tainted that way. Last week I asked at a nice Italian place in our downtown mall (I can't remember the name right off), and they had eggs in their noodles. Anyway, I've never been to our Carraba's so can't help ya there.

Went out a couple nights ago and all I could get where we were was a beer. Dining out is the only hard thing about being vegan that I've discovered so far.

VeganArtist
03-06-2005, 03:58 PM
when i lived in texas i was fond of:

Tagliarini Picchi Pacchiu
Fine pasta in a sauce of crushed tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and basil

but i wasn't vegan then, so i didn't ask questions about the sauce... it *looks* relatively safe, though, and i always thought it was delicious! you could call ahead and double-check to make sure there's no hidden cheese in there anywhere, if it makes you feel more comfy. :)

bluedawg - thanks... that does sound like it would be delicious... I had my eye on that one in particular. I wonder if they use eggs in their pasta... I should probably call. If I do call, I will let everyone know what they say! :happy:

VeganArtist
03-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Gotta be careful about eggs being in the pasta noodles. I read somewhere that the Olive Garden is tainted that way. Last week I asked at a nice Italian place in our downtown mall (I can't remember the name right off), and they had eggs in their noodles.

Ha, we posted at the same time :o I read that about Olive Garden too. Can't really get much at all at the Olive Garden :confused:

trichaos
03-06-2005, 04:05 PM
I was curious since we have a Carrabba's; according to the following site, the tagliarini is vegan: http://www.govegantexas.org/lifestyle/restaurants.php

I assume you're probably calling already.. so do let us know, since you can't believe totally 100% of websites out there. ;)

kkohne
03-07-2005, 11:44 AM
I always order that dish at Carrabbas. And it is REALLY good. It's actually a huge portion so there's enough for two to share or for a doggie bag. Mmmm.... :drool:

VeganArtist
03-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Ok, I called corporate, and here is a rough vegan guide for Carrabba's:

Bread is vegan, along with the dipping sauce.

Salad dressings are not vegan, they have egg and cheese in them. Ask for red wine viniagrette and olive oil if you want a salad.

The fresh pasta contains eggs. (fettucine, tagliarini, and maybe others - ask the server because they should know)

They have dry pasta which is vegan. (penne, spaghetti, etc... - again ask the server because they should know)

The marinara sauce has anchovies in it, as does the pizza sauce which is just a reduction of the marinara sauce. Always ask for the pomodoro sauce which is definitely vegan.

The Tagliarini Picchi Pacchiu is not vegan because of the pasta itself. The other ingredients are vegan. You can order the Tagliarini Picchi Pacchiu with a dry pasta instead of the fresh tagliarini.

Just so that everyone knows, the woman that I spoke to was very helpful, professional, and knowledgeable. She mentioned that Carrabba's does not use any trans fats in their foods. She said that she is working on a menu that is going to clearly list which items are safe for people with allergies, and she said that vegan items will probably be listed as well. Yay! :silly:

trichaos
03-07-2005, 12:31 PM
thanks for posting, VeganArtist!

lotus_blue
03-07-2005, 01:19 PM
I read that about Olive Garden too. Can't really get much at all at the Olive Garden :confused:
Just out of curiousity, is anything at Olive Garden vegan?

Artichoke47
03-07-2005, 02:54 PM
The salad. ;)

stegan
03-07-2005, 03:05 PM
The salad. ;)

Without the parmesan :)

trichaos
03-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Some beer, perhaps.

FalafelsRule
03-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Hey, Tri, have you ever been to the Broad Ripple Brew Pub? I see that you like brew, and I hear they have vegan food there.

JasperKat
03-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the info, VA. It's always nice when the people are actually helpful and know what you're talking about. I think we have a Carrabba's around here.

-JK

trichaos
03-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Hey, Tri, have you ever been to the Broad Ripple Brew Pub? I see that you like brew, and I hear they have vegan food there.
No, I haven't... I'll put it on the list of places to check out though. Unfortunately, the south side doesn't seem to have anywhere of interest to vegans but I'm looking to move this summer.

FalafelsRule
03-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Indianpolis does not offer much regardless of what side of town you live. There are no all vegan places and only 2 all vegetarian spots in the entire city.

kkohne
03-07-2005, 06:10 PM
The Tagliarini Picchi Pacchiu is not vegan because of the pasta itself. The other ingredients are vegan. You can order the Tagliarini Picchi Pacchiu with a dry pasta instead of the fresh tagliarini.

ARGH!!! This makes me SOO angry. I specifically asked my server at Carrabbas and was told that the tagliarini was dry pasta (not fresh) and was vegan. I hate it when someone won't admit that they don't know or just plain out lies. :mad:

trichaos
03-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Indianpolis does not offer much regardless of what side of town you live. There are no all vegan places and only 2 all vegetarian spots in the entire city.
Just as I suspected. <sigh> I'll quit moaning and eat my house salad now <sniff>

kirk
03-08-2005, 12:11 AM

I wouldn't trust the Olive Garden. Ever.

Check out my previous post here (http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/showpost.php?p=59857&postcount=13).

VeganArtist
03-08-2005, 10:00 AM
ARGH!!! This makes me SOO angry. I specifically asked my server at Carrabbas and was told that the tagliarini was dry pasta (not fresh) and was vegan. I hate it when someone won't admit that they don't know or just plain out lies.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news kkohne... :umm: It kind of sucks because it makes me wonder if your server may have been right, and the woman that I talked to was wrong. Everyone should get the vegans in their area together and take a tour of Carrabba's, the Olive Garden's and everyone else's kitchens so that we can see for ourselves! :rolleyes:

I am not sure really, but I found some information on the following website, just scroll down until you see Olive Garden:

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/OtherInfo/FastFoodRest.htm

Some of the information is similar to kirk's post. I guess they just mail out a standard letter to everyone.

Thanks for the info, VA. It's always nice when the people are actually helpful and know what you're talking about. I think we have a Carrabba's around here.

I love when people know what I am talking about. I even love when people TRY to know what I am talking about. I really despise when people tell me what they think that I want to hear just so that I will leave them alone. I contacted Arizona beverages about their tea. Here is the entire dialogue:

I wrote:
Hello, I am writing to find out which, if any, of your products are vegan. Thank you for any information that you may be able to provide.

Arizona wrote:
Not sure what you mean, sorry.

I wrote:
Hello again, Vegan means that the product does not contain any ingredients that were derived from an animal, including particular chemicals, dairy, and even honey. Could you recommend someone that I could call or email that would officially know about this type of information? I would really appreciate any information that you may be able to provide. Thanks.

They wrote:
We are sorry but we have honey in almost all of our teas.

At this point I gave up on the customer service email contact, and decided to call their customer service phone number instead.

In my phone message, I specifically mentioned that I was particularly interested in one type of tea - the stress rx tea that does not contain honey, but does contain natural flavors, B6, and B12, all of which I have heard may be derived from an animal source.

They left a message on my answering machine that said:
"uh, I know your message regards any type of animal origin ingredients, um, and I can say other than maybe the, the honey that, uh, is in some of our green teas, none of our other ingredients are derived, uh, by animal product at all."

Not sure what to think about that.

kimmysoo
03-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Regarding Carrabba's... months ago I called a few local ones and asked if the pasta had egg. Every single one said yes, their pasta did contain egg.

Also, I was told the house salad dressing at Olive Garden contains egg, as does most house dressings at these chain Italian places.

After seven years of being vegan I've pretty much given up on eating out, other than veg*n places. It's too frustrating/annoying.

kkohne
03-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news kkohne... :umm: It kind of sucks because it makes me wonder if your server may have been right, and the woman that I talked to was wrong. Everyone should get the vegans in their area together and take a tour of Carrabba's, the Olive Garden's and everyone else's kitchens so that we can see for ourselves! :rolleyes:

So I went back last week and asked my server to humor me with some gory details. Apparently SOME of the pasta contains egg (including the tagliarini) but the angel hair would be a good substitution since it was dry and contained no eggs. So it might very well be that each restaurant has slight variations in which pasta is made fresh and which is dried (just semolina and water).

So definitely ask!