PDA

View Full Version : PostSecret

ott
03-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Made me cry.

http://postsecret.blogspot.com

spidermonkey
03-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Wow, those were profound and very sad! What an amazing project though!

beane
03-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Very cool site.

bird
05-31-2005, 03:10 AM
May 31, 2005

Bless Me, Blog, for I've Sinned

By SARAH BOXER

Online confessors are like flashers. They exhibit themselves anonymously and publicly, with little consideration for you, the audience. Browse some of the confessionals on the Web: grouphug.us (a simple log), notproud.com (organized by deadly sin) or dailyconfession.com (where you can barely find the confessions for all the promotional stuff). You can see for yourself.

One online confessional, though, breaks the mold. At PostSecret, found at postsecret.blogspot.com, the confessions are consistently engaging, original and well told. How come? The Web site gives people simple instructions. Mail your secret anonymously on one side of a 4-by-6-inch postcard that you make yourself. That one constraint is a great sieve. It strains out lazy, impulsive confessors.

For PostSecret, you write, type or paste your secret on a postcard, and then, if you want, decorate the card with drawings or photographs. Next the stamp and then the mailbox. Yes, it's work to confess. And it should be, if only for the sake of the person who might be listening.

One message says: "I lied" under the word "oath." Another says, "I deleted the pope's funeral unwatched off my TiVO to make room for an episode of 'Survivor.' " The postcard picture - a split image, top half funeral, bottom half 'Survivor' - captures the moment of sin.

Some secrets cannot be separated from the cards they're on. One sad little postcard has a lineup of seven 3-cent stamps, each with a picture of a Conestoga wagon on it, plus one 2-cent stamp of a locomotive: "I found these stamps as a child, and I have been waiting all my life to have someone to send them to. I never did have someone."

The following typed message was pasted onto a card made out of a $50 parking ticket: "I got a parking citation and so did the car next to me. I replaced the ticket on the car next to me with mine. My ticket got paid. And the one I took? I mailed it to PostSecret." It isn't so much a confession as a live performance of sin.

PostSecret is simple to navigate. You scroll down to read one postcard after another. There's little else on the site. O.K., you will occasionally run into little self-congratulatory landmarks: announcements that PostSecret will be onstage in Melbourne, Australia, newspaper clippings from all over the world, scores of compliments from readers. But basically it's all secrets.

And the secrets are regularly refreshed. Each Sunday, Frank, the keeper of the secrets, posts a new batch straight from his mailbox in Germantown, Md., and removes some old ones from the site. One virtue of the resulting chronological lineup is that you can look for patterns emerging, certain kinds of confessions clumping together. And clump they do.

For instance, the most recent confessions tend to be the most graphically and ethically hip. They look like the work of Barbara Kruger, Damien Hirst or Sophie Calle. "I want to be anorexic," says one card with a photo of a skeletal woman, "but I can't stop eating."

And for some reason many of the secrets posted on May 8 follow a certain form, a confession followed by a coda with a dash more guilt: "I don't care about recycling. (But I pretend I do.)" "I had sex with strangers for money. And I liked it." "I hate loving families... Because I don't have one."

One odd thing about PostSecret is that there's a real disconnection between what the confessions are and what the readers think they are. One reader from Texas wrote, "Thank you so much for building a window into so many souls, even if it only shines light on the darkest part." A reader in Australia wrote: "Each is a silent prayer of hope, love, fear, joy, pain, sorrow, guilt, happiness, hatred, confidence, strength, weakness and a million other things that we all share as human beings... there is no fakeness here."

No fakeness? Oh, but there is. And it is the fakeness, the artifice and the performance that make this confessional worth peeking at. The secret sharers here aren't mindless flashers but practiced strippers. They don't want to get rid of their secrets. They love them. They arrange them. They tend them. They turn them into fetishes. And that's the secret of PostSecret. It isn't really a true confessional after all. It is a piece of collaborative art.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/31/arts/design/31boxe.html?th&emc=th

anita riot
05-31-2005, 09:12 AM
dont go on that website if u already feel awful im sitting at work pray9ing no one comes into this store because im cry9ing---i never cry but this week has been isane my little sister tried to kill herself again i love her so much and dont know what to do --im soooooooooo sick of losing people to suicide and honestly sometimes hate that i didnt get to leave like the rest of them this world is insanly painful

jenzie
05-31-2005, 11:40 AM
I love that website.

mamaquilla
05-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Im so sorry Anita Riot ! lots of hugsssssssss !!!

mamaquilla
05-31-2005, 06:43 PM
This site rocks ! thanks for posting ott

misanthropy
07-11-2005, 09:29 AM
This one made me tear up because that's how I feel about my kids*: http://photos1.blogger.com/img/296/2612/1024/save.jpg

*non-human kids, I don't have human kids

bird
07-11-2005, 09:30 AM
I think there's an error in your link, misanthropy.

misanthropy
07-11-2005, 09:42 AM
There wasn't before... hmm... http://216.239.54.9/img/296/2612/1024/save.jpg

bluedawg
07-11-2005, 09:43 AM
i can't read misanthropy's link, and lex's picture(?) in the other post secret thread doesn't show up for me either. boo hoo! i want to see!

misanthropy
07-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Hmm... looks like the ips are shifting all over the place!

misanthropy
07-11-2005, 09:45 AM
This is the one I was linking to.

bluedawg
07-11-2005, 09:51 AM
thanks, misanthropy! the curiosity was getting to me.

that is a super-sweet entry. :heart:

i wonder if it's the same one lex brought over (that just looks like an evil red x to me, heh).

lex_talionis
07-11-2005, 12:37 PM
This is the one I was linking to.
same here.
Sorry, I forgot this thread was here when I posted the other

kimmysoo
07-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Wow... I feel the exact same way. I'm sitting here at work all teary-eyed. :(

misanthropy
07-12-2005, 09:01 AM
I think we (lex, kimmysoo and me) must share the same brain or something! :)

The postcard made me teary-eyed too.

gur
01-09-2006, 02:18 PM
all right, which one of you posted this one? ;)

Spring Haze
01-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I really enjoy PostSecret. There's one that says, "I fed beef to my vegetarian sister" and another that says, "Even vegetarians think about meat sometimes." I don't like either of those.

Oh, one that really angered me was, "He's been in prison for 2 years because of a what I did. He's got 9 years to go."

Amazing stuff on that site. I actually have the book, which is a nice way to peruse them.

gur
01-10-2006, 10:42 AM
I really enjoy PostSecret. There's one that says, "I fed beef to my vegetarian sister" and another that says, "Even vegetarians think about meat sometimes." I don't like either of those.

Oh, one that really angered me was, "He's been in prison for 2 years because of a what I did. He's got 9 years to go."

Amazing stuff on that site. I actually have the book, which is a nice way to peruse them.

I didn't like those postcards either. few of them make me mad. i really like the site though; been reading them since last march, i think. :)

bluedawg
10-03-2008, 08:41 PM
i went to a post secret event last night, and it was awesome. i just blarged about it, if'n you want to read:

http://quarterlifecrisis.typepad.com/vegan_chai/2008/10/post-secret-and-other-randomness.html

La Végétalienne
10-04-2008, 01:19 PM
"Even vegetarians think about meat sometimes."
My LOV roommate put a full-page copy of that one on our door last year. I really wanted to add something snarky like, "but vegans don't!" But really, it's not like I'm not guilty of the occasional craving. There's just something about the tone of the card that bothers me, though.

kaylie likes plurr
10-13-2008, 07:12 AM
oh my i love post secret.
i actually sent one in a few weeks ago.
it wasn't posted, but thats okay :)
i used to have people to talk to.
now i just have my therapists.
it's a nice way to get it all out.
i love it. it makes me feel less alone seeing that everyone has their own shit. haha that sounds kinda mean, like im glad, but ...you know what i mean?:confused:

stegan
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
this one (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a7jkcMVp5Vg/SY7XfXf3auI/AAAAAAAAIC0/qyaI-hmSy6c/s1600-h/grandchildren.jpg) from this week broke my heart all over again. :(

KaliMama
02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Oh! :cry:

bluedawg
08-30-2009, 12:49 AM
just saw this on sunday's secrets (http://postsecret.blogspot.com/2009/08/sunday-secrets_29.html) and it made me so sad and mad.

bekah-chan
08-30-2009, 01:21 AM
the boy and i read that too and just kind of pretended like we didn't see it...
:mad::cry:

KaliMama
08-30-2009, 03:34 AM
If s/he feels so bad, then they should be videotaping that sh*t and posting it all over the universe. :mad: :cry:

tin can
08-30-2009, 04:54 AM
I don't quite understand. Carriage company as in horse and carriage? What, they make them, sell them, operate them, what? How do the animals end up as corpses?

Sorry if this is all obvious: I can be dense at times. ;)

Dugan
08-30-2009, 05:40 AM
If s/he feels so bad, then they should be videotaping that sh*t and posting it all over the universe. :mad: :cry:
And maybe not photoshopping the picture to make it look like a sign with the carriage company's name is hidden?

KaliMama
08-30-2009, 05:42 AM
I don't quite understand. Carriage company as in horse and carriage? What, they make them, sell them, operate them, what? How do the animals end up as corpses?

Sorry if this is all obvious: I can be dense at times. ;)

No reason to apologize, the post isn't that explicit. But my take on it was... yes, horse and carriage...an industry in which horses are notoriously worked to death.

tin can
08-30-2009, 07:14 AM
:umm: I didn't even realise that it was a proper industry as such, and not just the occasional isolated example here and there of tourist attractions and the like. Poor horseys. :cry:

bluedawg
08-30-2009, 02:37 PM
And maybe not photoshopping the picture to make it look like a sign with the carriage company's name is hidden?

someone mentioned in a follow-up comment that they actually work at the stable in the picture, and has done so for 10 years, and that the secret does NOT refer to them in particular. which, fine, but still.

tin can, yes, it's an industry in many towns, although a quiet one. i never realized we had a carriage company here until i went past the stable one day taking the train (http://quarterlifecrisis.typepad.com/vegan_chai/2007/11/carriage-horses.html) to chicago. ours are used for stupid stuff like taking people around an outdoor shopping mall at christmas time (i only wish i were kidding), taking people around downtown, and fairytale weddings. :blank: there's a pretty big carriage horse industry in chicago as well.

the new york carriage horse industry gets a lot of press (relatively speaking) because they are so high profile (and there have been some extremely public accidents involving injury and/or death to the horses involved). the stables are actually next to (or beneath, or whatever) jon stewart's studio where he films the daily show, and he makes comments about them from time to time. once, somewhat recently, liam neeson was a guest on the show, and at the time he was doing some "shilling" for the carriage horse industry, and jon stewart kind of gave him some what-for over it. :heart: [/tangent]

tin can
08-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info, bluedawg. The only ones I can think of having seen recently are as a tourist go-around-the-town kinda thing in Vienna when I was there a few months ago, and the occasional fancy funeral here. I assumed they might be used here and there in the countryside as well. :umm:

I hadn't heard of the New York industry before - :thumbsup: to Jon Stewart.

goldlionsfire
08-30-2009, 03:25 PM
I believe this postcard is referring to Palmetto Carriage Company in South Carolina. I noticed that the icon in the name is a blurry green cabbage or something & Palmetto also has something similar going on. Check out their website & compare the carriage houses through google. I'm not allowed to link anything because I'm new.

bekah-chan
08-30-2009, 03:39 PM
i wanted to send in a follow up comment, but i have no idea how :confused:

goldlionsfire
08-30-2009, 03:43 PM
There was a response that was later removed. It said: "I work for the carriage company pictured in the photograph, and have done so for nearly a decade. Never once have we engaged in such a practice. Please know that the vast majority of companies take excellent care of their animals!"

gur
09-02-2009, 06:47 PM
so frank took that postcard down (just read the postsecret twitter), and he didn't explain why. what the heck?

goldlionsfire
09-02-2009, 10:01 PM
so frank took that postcard down (just read the postsecret twitter), and he didn't explain why. what the heck?

He has taken it down & brought it back several times. I wonder if PETA is pissed or if Palmetto is threatening a lawsuit? Either way it makes you curious why he'd continue to defy them by bringing it back.

bluedawg
09-03-2009, 12:04 AM
oooh, how interesting! very strange indeed, i hadn't gone back so i hadn't noticed.

tin can
09-03-2009, 08:34 AM
I wonder if PETA is pissed

:confused: What's PETA got to do with it?

Mahk
09-03-2009, 09:23 PM
[edited correction] ASPCA (http://www.aspca.org/about-us/history.html), I think the oldest animal welfare group in the US, was started be a man who couldn't stand seeing horses being beaten as they pulled carriages in turn of the century (?) New York (?) Back then handsome cab drivers and such would whip and torture their animals in ways now that if anyone, even omnis, saw would get a call placed to 911 instantly.
---

One of my childhood friends' career goals was to grow up and become a handsome cab driver romantically driving couples around in Central Park in the snow, and such. Of course she idolized it as most people do by watching movies and thinking it is a great animal loving job. She grew up, moved to NY, got the job, and had to quit within a matter of days when she realized her fantasy of it being animal friendly was just a fairy tale. :(

http://www.trollan.com/sharedfiles/blogphotos/pic06101466.jpgBetter big picture here (http://www.brooklynparrots.com/uploaded_images/aspca_stone_full_circle-719760.jpg).

They are some of our founding parents.

Hooyaah
09-03-2009, 10:09 PM
The thoughts that burn in my mind after reading these postcards are the philosophies that I endeavor to have govern my behavior.

Dream as if you have forever, live each day as if it's your last.
_James Dean (quoted more or less)

If you live life in service of yourself you perish empty.
If you live life in the pleasure of serving others you complete your life full.
-Hooyaah

Treat all lives as you would your own and you can be certain that you have benefited others and, in so doing, brought meaning to your existence.
-Hooyaah

(there's more, but then there's the whole attention span thing going on)

KaliMama
09-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Handsome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness) or hansom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansom)? I like the story much better as it is, fwiw.

goldlionsfire
09-03-2009, 11:13 PM
:confused: What's PETA got to do with it?

I don't know, I was just lumping them in there with the number of people who'd write Frank to ask him to remove it since the card sender isn't doing anything positive. It's pretty much saying "Yea I sit back & watch this happen" & all it does is upset people because there is no resolution. The sender doesn't say if he/she feels guilty or if they intend to stop.

Mahk
09-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Oops. "Hansom" is what I meant.

Vegan Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders was once married in a hansom cab but now speaks out against them. :thumbsup:

tin can
09-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't know, I was just lumping them in there with the number of people who'd write Frank to ask him to remove it since the card sender isn't doing anything positive. It's pretty much saying "Yea I sit back & watch this happen" & all it does is upset people because there is no resolution. The sender doesn't say if he/she feels guilty or if they intend to stop.

Gotcha. :) I thought that was kind of half the point of PostSecret, though? Assuaging guilt by anonymously admitting to stuff and continuing to do it?

goldlionsfire
09-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Gotcha. :) I thought that was kind of half the point of PostSecret, though? Assuaging guilt by anonymously admitting to stuff and continuing to do it?

Postsecret isn't what it used to be. Don't get me wrong, I still love it but these days Frank has a whole lot riding on pleasing everyone because he has made it his career. He has books & conventions, sometimes even television appearances. If it was still a low key hobby then no one would come out of the woodwork to collect payment for libel or complain that they don't feel comfortable supporting a website with such secrets. It sucks that some would stop supporting the moment they felt a little offended by what makes Postsecret what it is, but it happens.

bluedawg
12-23-2009, 08:53 PM
this one particularly frustrated me.

edited to add: i have no idea why this is showing up as a thumbnail. the first time i tried to attach it, nothing showed up. the second time, it turned into a thumbnail. weird. for those who can't squint enough, it says "that was not the new vegan soy dip from whole foods!!" and the picture is of mighty dog canned food. :brood:

MissLovely
12-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Or you can click on the image.

Miso Vegan
12-23-2009, 09:37 PM
hm. Are they saying that someone tried to play a stupid joke on them, and pass dog food off as vegan dip?

bluedawg
12-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Or you can click on the image.
when i was clicking on it (at school), it was just going to a blank page. so weird. now that i'm home, clicking on it works for me. anyhooo...

hm. Are they saying that someone tried to play a stupid joke on them, and pass dog food off as vegan dip?
i think it's actually from the perpetrator, i.e., the one with the secret. so i think they're saying, "i served you dog food, you stupid vegan."

Miso Vegan
12-24-2009, 01:40 AM
oh, that's even more disturbing than my interpretation.

shananigans
12-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Worse yet was the thread about the secret in the PS community forum. Several people speculated that the secret sender was getting back at a preachy, sanctimonious vegan and that the vegan likely had it coming. They even split off a thread in the general topics forum for a "vegetarian/vegan" debate because it was getting so far off topic re: the postcard. Every time I visit that forum I regret it. :mad: