PDA

View Full Version : Your weird favourite...

Kat
02-11-2005, 12:27 PM
I think everyone has one crazy food they like.

For example, I mentioned to someone yesterday that i wished I could find tofutti's Better Than Cream Cheese so that I could enjoy pickle and cream cheese sandwiches again. My friend had never heard of a pickle and cream cheese sandwich, and he thought it sounded really weird (But to me it sounds perfectly normal and delicious!)

My other weird thing is that I like leftover spahgetti, fried up and served between slices of bread (or toasted bread). I've dubbed it the Carbohydrate Overload Sandwich. Mmmmm...

I probably have a lot of others I haven't mentioned here, simply because, like the cream cheese and pickle sandwich, they seem absolutely normal to me.

Anyhoo, tell me what your weird food is.

(I know at least one of you eats peanut butter and mustard on lettuce!!)

downwithapathy
02-11-2005, 12:32 PM
I think mine largely lacks the gross factor. Cheerio-like cereals in peanutbutter and/or chocolate pudding. Mmmm. :)

Kat
02-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Mmmm man you could turn that into some sort of parfait...

layer of pudding, layer of peanut butter, layer of cereal, layer of pudding, layer of peanut butter, layer of cereal...

schmeel
02-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Cream Cheese and Olives all the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! My mom used to make that for me for lunch sometimes when I was in gradeschool. But because the sandwich looked so thin, she'd give me one and a half sandwiches. So not only was it my favorite sandwich, but it came in a larger portion than all my other sandwiches. But alas I am Vegan now.

So what's the weird stuff that I eat now?

I made Peanut Butter Oatmeal yesterday, not recomended. :sick:

downwithapathy
02-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Mmmm man you could turn that into some sort of parfait...

layer of pudding, layer of peanut butter, layer of cereal, layer of pudding, layer of peanut butter, layer of cereal...
My gosh. That's brilliant! :D

stegan
02-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Does anyone outside of PA eat their pretzels with mustard? Not just the soft ones, the crunchy ones too... Love that- two great things that taste great together :)

walrus
02-11-2005, 01:54 PM
oranges dipped in salt. that's all i've got for now.

Dandelion
02-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Does anyone outside of PA eat their pretzels with mustard? Not just the soft ones, the crunchy ones too... Love that- two great things that taste great together :)
>i eat pretzils n mustard...herbi looks at me weird when i do this.
Also the mexican in me has me put salt/chili mix on all sortsa fruit especially citris. Acidito anyone?

>oranges, onions covered in lime juice with chili mix

trichaos
02-11-2005, 03:26 PM
I've eaten pretzels w/mustard too. I suppose the weirdest thing I eat are homemade dog treats I make for my canine (peanut butter treats). I even have a bone-shaped cutter I use, and I freaked some people out at work when caught eating them.

gladcow
02-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Hot Dog Burrito! Hot dog in a tortilla with spinach, ketchup, mustard and pickles. MMMMmmmm

spacehippy
02-11-2005, 04:27 PM
the peanut butter my co-op gets does not have any salt added. So, people here have been known to add peanut butter to apple slices, and then put salt on it. I've gotten weird looks, but it makes sense!

jenzie
02-11-2005, 05:52 PM
I like toasted PB and banana sandwiches. Ohmygod, SO good!

Emiloid
02-11-2005, 09:09 PM
I like peanut butter on stainless steel. Yup, that's PB by the spoonful!
OK, I'll go try to think of something more interesting.

My sister eats oatmeal with a fork. That's weird!

Sunshine
02-11-2005, 10:02 PM
I love potato chips dipped in any kind of chunky ice cream. Mmmmmmmmmm. My husband looks at me like I'm nuts when I do it - but it's rare since we rarely buy chips.

My husband always eats his pretzels with mustard - says it's a German thing. We must have nine different types of mustard in the fridge - another German thing.

bluedawg
02-11-2005, 10:22 PM
i'm with Emiloid on the pb-on-a-spoon train, that's for sure. i always do it in secret, though. it seems so naughty.

i can't think of weird things that i like! i'm sure i have them. pb & banana sandwiches, like jenzie (although i have never tried them toasted!)... but are those really weird? hee. i grew up eating them so they seem so normal to me.

i'm just going to steal one of my husband's things that i think is weird: he likes to cut red grapes in half and drop them in his cereal.

Stitches
02-12-2005, 02:05 AM
When I was a kid, it was peanut butter and mustard sandwiches. No, I'm not kidding.

You know what else is good? Fried veggies dipped in Vegenaise (preferably Vegenaise with some nutritional yeast flakes, garlic, and whatever herbs and spices I'm craving mixed in).

Vegit-8
02-12-2005, 03:04 AM
Weird is so subjective. :p

I love baby carrots dipped in raw almond butter...one of my favorite on-the-road foods.
I make raw cookies out of slices of crisp garnet yam with raw almond butter and either miso or maple syrup.
Fresh strawberries with whole cashews stuffed inside, and sometimes a bit of date stuffed in there too.
I also like sprinkling large quantities of raw carob powder on my bowl of Nature's Path Millet Rice cereal, along with the raisins, banana, and soy milk.
A couple of my long time past favorites were PB and raisin sandwiches (now I use almond butter), and spagetti with baked beans and raisins.

May peace and joy be with you, and your tummy.
Vegit-8

Kat
02-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I was really looking forward to your reply, Vegit 8 :D
I figured you'd have a few "weird" favourites (but your food always sounds so interesting that I want to try it)

One thing I've noticed about this thread is this; so far no one has mentioned "Oh, I eat texturized vegetable protein...I put nutritional yeast flakes on everything....I love cold tofu mashed with peanut sauce..."

On an omni board, that might seem weird. But among vegans, hardly anyone bats an eye.

Ah well.

P.S. Nutritional yeast flakes ARE good on everything :D

Vegit-8
02-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Oh Yeah Kat....nutritional yeast rocks on just about every savory dish I can think of.
You are right about how what most of us here must seem to have 'weird' eating habits compared to just about everyone else out there.:)

And yes, I love cold tofu mashed with peanut (almond) sauce - spread on sprouted grain tortillas with shredded carrots, chopped red peppers, some sprouts or lettuce, and liberally sprinkled with nutritional yeast etc. :D

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

Kat
02-12-2005, 12:00 PM
You're gonna write an uncookbook, right? With lots of full-colour full-page photos? And send me a copy? :D

downwithapathy
02-17-2005, 09:50 PM
i'm just going to steal one of my husband's things that i think is weird: he likes to cut red grapes in half and drop them in his cereal.
I generally like to keep frozen red grapes around. I never thought that weird, but new roommates usually ask if I accidentally put the grapes in the freezer. :)

On the topic of nutritional yeast...

A couple of days ago, I was seated at my desk feeding myself with a bagel dipped in nutritional yeast (and frantically shoved toward my mouth in an attempt to ingest before the nutritional yeast could have much opportunity to fall off--admittedly unusual). The half-eaten bagel in a shallow bowl of nutritional yeast quite confused a later visiting friend. :)

kikkert
02-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Another peanut butter straight from the jar person here.

Grilled peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

Half a grapefruit (white) sprinkled with salt.

Chips (french fries) dipped in salad dressing.

Salt on nearly everything.

Vanilla soy ice cream with peanut butter, raspberry jam, and choco newman o's will give you wicked dreams.

ott
02-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Best I've got is bachelor chow.

I'll cook up a pot of beans, black eyed peas, lima beans ... Then usually some veggies, peas and carrots, green beans ... mix it all with some rice and there's a good dozen servings or more of something you can scoop in a bowl, pop in the microwave, and chow down on with maximum convenience.

Hmmmm...

Heavily salted toast and V8.

Hummus spooned straight from the tub.

Salsa with fresh avocado and sour supreme mixed in... but that's not weird, that's just flippin' tasty.

I am in the south so there's grits, boiled peanuts, hush puppies, (again, flippin' tasty).

I guess I'm the only normal one here. :)

stegan
02-18-2005, 11:17 AM
ott, you had me except for the V-8 (blech).

My new favorite- mac and chreese, alfredo style (made with vanilla vitasoy, natch) with a tofurkey beer brat sliced, pan fried and mixed in. Vegan bachelor heaven :)

bluemango
03-01-2005, 01:35 AM
When I get sweet cravings, I toast some whole grain bread and eat it with PB and all-fruit jam (strawberry is the BEST) or just put chocolate chips all over it. *drool*

I also eat bananas and apples like they are crack... seriously, like 2 each a day. I think I may be addicted. Also, I eat straight steamed broccoli with TONS of minced garlic on it... huge bowls of the stuff. People look at me like I'm crazy, but it's so good. I guess there are worse things to be addicted to! :)

kimmysoo
03-01-2005, 11:20 AM
- Granny Smith apples dipped in salt.

- Pretzels dipped in peanut butter.

- Tofutti Cuties dipped in Smucker's Marshmallow Topping.

- Sometimes I'll add potato chips to a sandwich.

- I like to eat black olives right out of the can and usually polish off the whole can in one sitting.

I can't really think of anything else... and none of the above is really that weird.

bluedawg
03-01-2005, 12:12 PM
- Tofutti Cuties dipped in Smucker's Marshmallow Topping.
wait, what? there's vegan marshmallow topping?!? like at the regular ol' store and everything?!?

verbal_paisley
03-01-2005, 12:56 PM
hi this is my first post here. ^__^
without further ado, my weird food thingies are:

cayenne and chocolate, though the cayenne is usually thrown in something like a chcolate cake or a brownie.
and corn flake type cereal and vanilla soy ice cream.

i actually am starting to have a really big fascination with aztec style food and i'm going to attempt making my cayenne brownies again but for the 'faux egg' i am considering using avacado mixed with veganaise so they'll be green red brownies. it'll either go over really well or we just wont talk about recipe disasters here...

kimmysoo
03-01-2005, 01:57 PM
wait, what? there's vegan marshmallow topping?!? like at the regular ol' store and everything?!?

Yep! It's at all the regular grocery stores with the other ice cream toppings.

Here's the website (http://www.smuckers.com/fg/ict/default.asp?groupid=4&catid=48&prodid=91). The potassium sorbate is not animal derived.

Makes really yummy rice krispie treats, too. :happy:

bluedawg
03-01-2005, 03:41 PM
i :heart: kimmysoo.

bluemango
03-01-2005, 05:39 PM
For the record, I don't think these "weird" things are weird:
Pretzels in peanut butter
Hummus spooned straight from the tub.
Salsa with fresh avocado and sour supreme mixed in
French fries in dressing
Grilled PBJ
Black olives straight from the can (all Italian kids, like myself, ate these like candy... hehe)

All these things sound delicious and perfectly normal!!! :)

jenzie
03-01-2005, 06:04 PM
French fries dipped in a chocolate shake. Yum! (Hard to come by vegan versions, though, boo!)

maliceinwonderland
03-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Before I was vegan, one of my favorites was toasted peanut butter and cheese sandwiches, I also loved vanilla ice cream with grilled chicken when I was pregnant (even other pregnant women thought I was disgusting).

My boyfriend has a thing for original nacho cheese doritos and peanut butter.

ellietex
03-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Jenzie, thats my favorite too! Yum, so salty and sweet...

I also almost always dip my fries in mustard, instead of ketchup.

And you know that seasoning called "Lucas"? Its basically a lemon-lime salt powder. Sometimes I eat it straight...

Dandelion
03-05-2005, 10:17 PM
And you know that seasoning called "Lucas"? Its basically a lemon-lime salt powder. Sometimes I eat it straight...
I too have a citric acid habit.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news though...Lucas products have been found to contain unacceptably high levels of lead. (http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/lucas.html)
i had to toss out like a full package moms brought me from mexico. :(

ellietex
03-05-2005, 11:17 PM
Yikes, what a bummer... We have a ton in our house now. :(

WadesMommy
03-05-2005, 11:55 PM
peanut butter and mayo sandwiches

pickle wrapped in a wrap

dropscone
09-11-2005, 12:13 PM
I used to eat vegetable stock cubes straight.

At the moment, I'm eating a raw carrot and a piece of plain chocolate at the same time. Works really well.

blodyn
09-11-2005, 04:04 PM
In the UK, so will probably sound even more weird. A tin of Tesco Value brand mushy peas (fluorescent green - around 12p), in a bowl with a small packet of ready salted crisps (potato chips) crushed on top; finished with a large dollop of Plamil egg-free mayonnaise.

Eat warm or cold - yummy.

attackferret
09-11-2005, 06:13 PM
(vegan) butter and sugar sandwhich, mmm.

I've yet to find a replacement for a vegetarian favorite of mine... american cheese and miracle whip on a bun. I tried it with vegannaise and tofutti american slices, but it was really gross. Is there a better way to obtain a likeness of the cheese and miracle whip sandwhich? Suggestions appreciated :)

MissLovely
09-11-2005, 07:16 PM
campbell's tomato soup, with ramen noodles, or corn. Koolaid mixed with sugar, eaten straight. hard pretzels dipped in straight up butter. I used to buy red vines, and a hershey bar, split the individual red vines up the side, and break up hershey bars inside, so it was like a long red vine and chocolate taco. Um, I haven't done that since I was a teenager. *eyes shifting*

feenix101
09-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Ok, so ya take a leaf of lettuce. Then you put a nice layer of peanut butter, top it off with some mustard, roll it up and enjoy!

Well, really anything with pb and mustard makes me happy. Crackers, tortillas, celery, whatever!

lamb
09-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Tofutti cream cheese is pretty good, i use it quite a bit now that i'm vegan.
What i used to LOVE before i went veg was when you'd spread regular cream cheese on a flour tortilla, top it with ham lunch meat, and roll it up around a pickle. You're sposed to slice it then and serve it as appetizers but i'd pretty much eat the whole thing....
A good way to put tofutti cream cheese to work is to spread it over a flavored tortilla (sundried tomato or garlic spinach is really yumm), add nutritional yeast, diced peanuts and dill, microwave for 30 seconds and roll up around a bunch of fresh spinach. Muy delicioso.

grog
09-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Ok, so ya take a leaf of lettuce. Then you put a nice layer of peanut butter, top it off with some mustard, roll it up and enjoy!

Well, really anything with pb and mustard makes me happy. Crackers, tortillas, celery, whatever!

OMG :alien:

Emiloid
09-12-2005, 12:09 AM
What i used to LOVE before i went veg was when you'd spread regular cream cheese on a flour tortilla, top it with ham lunch meat, and roll it up around a pickle. You're sposed to slice it then and serve it as appetizers but i'd pretty much eat the whole thing....

Hey, you could still do that, you'd just need to buy some fake meat. Of course, your new version sounds a lot healthier. ;)

seitanicvegan
09-12-2005, 02:08 AM
According to my family, everything I eat is weird. I can take perfectly "normal" chocolate chips, call them vegan, and NO ONE in my entire family will touch those chocolate chips (not even my dad, who has a bad habit of snacking on chocolate chips).

Ahem . . . peanut butter and onion sandwiches . . . apples and vinegar . . . rum and coke . . . wait, that last one was fairly normal. ;)

bluemango
09-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, none of those are *really* weird. Apples and vinegar sounds good, when you consider they make apple cider vinegar (which makes for great dressings and cooking). And maybe I'm weird, but peanut butter and onions sounds pretty good... almost Thai-ish. :)

KKB
09-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Well, none of those are *really* weird. Apples and vinegar sounds good, when you consider they make apple cider vinegar (which makes for great dressings and cooking). And maybe I'm weird, but peanut butter and onions sounds pretty good... almost Thai-ish. :)
i've heard of someone spreading pb on a cheeseburger... it may be interesting on a boca burger with some vegan gourmet...mmm
my fave is still grilled pb and banana with chocolate sauce :banana:

bird
09-13-2005, 01:06 AM
my fave is still grilled pb and banana with chocolate sauce :banana:Ooh, that sounds good! Maybe with some of that Smucker's Marshmallow topping....

KKB
09-16-2005, 12:22 AM
Ooh, that sounds good! Maybe with some of that Smucker's Marshmallow topping....
yes! now you're talking *drool* i remember reading that the topping is 'accidentally vegan.' i shall have to try it now!! i know it must be cheaper than vegan marshmallows (which i love, but at 5 bucks a bag, can't love often) :chef:

dropscone
09-16-2005, 04:30 PM
... peanut butter and onion sandwiches . . .

Ooh, that sounds good. Raw onion? Salad onion? I need details! :)

dann
09-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches.

My mom used to make these for me when I was little because I didn't like cheese. Actually, when I got older, I realized that it was that I didn't like cold, straight-out-of-the-fridge slices of American cheese food from the plastic wrapper. Disgusting. In any case, she'd make me that when we had grilled cheese for lunch (made the same way as grilled cheese is with "butter").

You can make it without "butter" just in a toaster oven. Nuuuummmmmy!!!! Melted peanut butter and jelly saaaaammmmiches!

Dandelion
08-25-2006, 09:13 PM
*bump* :)

wildmindgirl
08-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Dill Pickle sandwiches with veganaise and a little onion and mustard.

mishka
08-25-2006, 09:21 PM
I grew up with toast, spread with margarine, with a dollop of ketchup for dipping. Apparently, lots of people think this is gross.

grog
08-25-2006, 09:50 PM
I grew up with toast, spread with margarine, with a dollop of ketchup for dipping. Apparently, lots of people think this is gross.

add me to that list. :ew:

theveganmary
08-25-2006, 11:05 PM
My Papa loves potato chip sandwiches with mustard. LOVES them. Weirdo Papa. :p

San
08-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Today I made some somen noodles (really thin Asian style noodles) with kale and zucinni in vegan mayo and curry paste as the sauce. Vegan mayo is kind of a weird sub for coconut milk that my vegan cooking buddy told me about.

wildmindgirl
08-26-2006, 11:43 AM
I love this thread...everytime I want to eat something I shouldn't, I'll have to come here and read all these bizarre food combo's so that it keeps turning my stomach. I should be a size 10 in no time!!! :o

gravity_defiant
08-26-2006, 01:14 PM

That sounds yummy. But then, I love my condiments and a ketchup sandwich seems perfectly good to me! I've always been that way; I took a mustard sandwich to school for lunch every singe day in kindergarten and half of first grade (up until my mom put her foot down and started insisting on sticking a couple of slices of cheese in there).

These days...I don't know. Most people would consider pretty much everything I eat weird. And it's not even just the vegan thing. I'm just weird. :p

dream.ivan
08-27-2006, 12:58 AM
I grew up with toast, spread with margarine, with a dollop of ketchup for dipping. Apparently, lots of people think this is gross. I <3 Ketchup...

IncredibleWeirdo
08-27-2006, 01:15 AM
The I.Dub digs peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches, preferably on seeded rye or pumpernickel.

Or

Spread a slice of bread with mellow white miso, another slice with almond butter, and smack some slices of avocado inbetween.

aye.dubya

nauthiz
08-27-2006, 01:29 AM
I always make my guacamole with cinnamon.

grog
08-27-2006, 01:30 AM
:o no way!

Miso Vegan
08-27-2006, 12:02 PM
I always make my guacamole with cinnamon.

BANNED!!!

Am I right, mods?!

Chijou_no_seiza
08-28-2006, 01:01 AM
I like to eat 2 pieces of toast: one covered with raspberry jam and the other covered with crushed garlic (the spreadable kind) and salt. I eat the jam one first, and then the garlic one. Yummy!

nauthiz
08-28-2006, 01:12 AM
BANNED!!!

Am I right, mods?!

Ok, yeah, I admit I got the idea from a combination of late night hunger, whiskey, and Sealab 2021. But it's really good, you should try it some time. Just a hint of cinnamon. Everyone I've fed it to says they love it. I predict it's going to be the next mango salsa.

veganshawn
08-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Avocado and veganese with potato chips sandwich
For dipping fries I like to mix ketchup, mustard and mayo
Ketchup on my mac and "cheese"
Hot sauce on pop corn

I think that is all that people would deem "weird or strange"

Dandelion
08-29-2006, 02:16 AM
BANNED!!!

Am I right, mods?!
at least it's not garlic. :alien:

gladcow
11-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Potato Sandwich! Leftover cold baked potato, sliced, on bread (NOT TOAST) with vegenaise (just a little) and ketchup (a lot). :drool:

mamaquilla
11-19-2006, 06:40 PM
that sounds divine gladcow ! :happy:

gladcow
11-19-2006, 06:43 PM
come over, I have lots of potatoes!

mamaquilla
11-19-2006, 06:45 PM

mishka
11-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Potato Sandwich! Leftover cold baked potato, sliced, on bread (NOT TOAST) with vegenaise (just a little) and ketchup (a lot). :drool:
That sounds yummy, gladcow! In college, I'd do a similar sandwich - microwaved potato mashed up with a little margarine and salt, added to a toasted pita, drizzled with ketchup. Poor student fast comfort food!

Ante_M
11-20-2006, 11:35 AM
I <3 Ketchup...

I've eaten ketchup right from the package :drool: Gods, that's good eating.

When I was in elementary, my dad would feed me pb, mayo, and lettuce sandwiches. And now I really want one. I eat Taco Bell's fire sauce on rice, sandwiches, veggie burgers, or pasta. And leftover mashed potatos mixed with salad and dressing.

compassionate1
11-20-2006, 11:54 AM
hooboy, this is a tough one.

I always used to (like when I was a kid) love to take a spoonful of Ovaltine and dip it in milk for about a second, then throw it down my gullett. :drool:

I can't think of any weird combinations these days though. I have always wanted to try chip butty.

Do any of the British vegans have tips on how to make a good vegan chip butty (or even advice on whether such a thing is worth the effort?).

green_ivy
11-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Chip butty sounds kinda tasty!

The only weird thing I still eat is french fry salad. Lettuce, french fries, salsa, ketchup, mustard, and fake cheese. Eat it with a fork or wrap it up like lettuce burritos. Mmmmm!

attackferret
11-20-2006, 02:10 PM
The only weird thing I still eat is french fry salad. Lettuce, french fries, salsa, ketchup, mustard, and fake cheese. Eat it with a fork or wrap it up like lettuce burritos. Mmmmm!you know, that actually sounds kind of good, except for the ketchup/salsa combination. do you use a specific type of salsa, or does any kind do?

green_ivy
11-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Any kind of salsa is good. I prefer blackened salsa or pico de gallo.
And usually, it's a salsa OR ketchup thing, whichever I have on hand.

moonflower
11-20-2006, 05:52 PM
i can't think of any weirdness i eat now, but i did indulge in the odd spot of raw bacon shovelling before i turned....

gur
11-20-2006, 06:12 PM
raw bacon? :sick: although, i used to eat raw frozen hotdogs.

chip butty's are goooooood. my british stepmum introduced me to fries - i mean chip sandwiches when i was a kid. now i put fries on veggie burgers, or potatoes on sandwiches. my fave pregan sandwich was leftovers after thanksgiving or christmas; turkey, mashed taters, cranberry sauce, gravy, even brussels sprouts or other veg, sandwiched between bread. mmmmmmm, good! now i make the vegan version with tofurky slices or seitan. :drool:

Kat
11-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Raw bacon sounds like a recipe for food poisoning. Was it regular bacon or peameal?

I went to a carribean festival once and a booth was selling peameal bacon slices for like three bucks. So I ordered one and was presented with a slab of raw meat. Turns out you actually had to pay another two dollars to get it grilled and thrown on a bun. WTF?

sane-ax_addict
11-20-2006, 06:22 PM
i don't know if it's considered wierd or not (my family thinks so), but i love grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches.

jeezycreezy
11-20-2006, 06:31 PM
A wise man once said: "Earth Balance isn't a butter replacer. It's a butter upgrade."

Therefore a vegan chip butty = a chip butty upgrade.

I like vegenaise on my chips (what you 'mericans refer to as "Freedom Fries").

Is that a weird thing? My parents are from Holland.

Kat
11-20-2006, 06:34 PM
I love hummus on my french fries. A friend of mine from Israel tells me that's really common over there :)

moonflower
11-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Raw bacon sounds like a recipe for food poisoning. Was it regular bacon or peameal?

I went to a carribean festival once and a booth was selling peameal bacon slices for like three bucks. So I ordered one and was presented with a slab of raw meat. Turns out you actually had to pay another two dollars to get it grilled and thrown on a bun. WTF?

:laugh: regular... what's peameal? in a town near me there's a restaurant where they give you a chunk of some sort of volcanic rock, a raw steak and little dishes of sauces and you cook it yourself the way you want it. feral, but still... could be done nicely with tofu, perhaps.

i used to put butter + mayo on everything. my mum and my grandma eat raw potatoe all the time :sick: i think it's an irish thing

maybe i'm confusing this thread with the grossest food thread

kat ate a bear!

compassionate1
11-20-2006, 06:35 PM
A wise man once said: "Earth Balance isn't a butter replacer. It's a butter upgrade."

Therefore a vegan chip butty = a chip butty upgrade.

:laugh:

I salute you! :kiss:

I like vegenaise on my chips (what you 'mericans refer to as "Freedom Fries").

Is that a weird thing? My parents are from Holland.

Oh, pulp fiction style, huh? Do you get it with a "Royale with cheese?"

jeezycreezy
11-20-2006, 06:36 PM
I love hummus on my french fries.

Well, der. Everything tastes better with hummus. :drool:

Kat
11-20-2006, 06:37 PM
:laugh: regular... what's peameal?

Regular bacon comes from the underside of the animal, and peameal bacon comes from it's back. It's cut much thicker and is usually coated in peameal or cornmeal. It's also called back bacon or Canadian bacon.

kat ate a bear!

shh! it wasn't a WHOLE bear!

ETA: And it wasn't since going vegan, either!!

jeezycreezy
11-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Do you get it with a "Royale with cheese?"

Yes. Because of the metric system. :kiss:

~Wonder
11-20-2006, 06:53 PM
I used to dip my Freedom Fries in chocolate shakes/Wendy's Frostys. I haven't tried it with a vegan chocolate shake cause I can never find any soy based non dairy frozen desert 'round here.

At my old favorite restaurant I always used to order a Heineken and a chocolate shake, in separate glasses. The waitresses always looked at me funny. They go together better than you'd think.
~Wondre http://wonder.sitehacks.com/biker.gif

grog
11-20-2006, 07:01 PM
"Last edited by ~Wonder : 3 days from now at 6:97 AM."

WTF? Somone's clock is wrong.

~Wonder
11-20-2006, 07:04 PM
"Last edited by ~Wonder : 3 days from now at 6:97 AM."

WTF? Somone's clock is wrong.
Oh, yeah, thanks :D
~Wondre http://wonder.sitehacks.com/biker.gif

grog
11-28-2006, 06:18 PM
canned tofu

Flower
11-28-2006, 06:45 PM
Not too weird, and I don't do this often-

baby carrots dipped in peanut butter (so many people seem to think this is gross)

and

potato chips dipped in applesauce

Maplesweet
11-28-2006, 07:27 PM
It's funny to see how many of our weird combos include PB. I used to eat PB and pickle or lettuce on crackers, and had PB, lettuce and whole-wheat tortilla wraps all this past summer for breakfast.

My weirdest favorite though is pancakes with corn niblets. I add them to the batter before it hits the griddle. :)

grog
11-28-2006, 07:29 PM
ala corn fritters, which are yummers

downwithapathy
11-28-2006, 07:34 PM
I don't find this particularly weird, but whenever I visit spacehippy, I generally end up making the same thing.

I top a banana with peanut butter, then stick chocolate chips on top...
microwave it to melt the chocolate and make the banana all smooshy and delicious... and then sometimes I finish with a dollop of of WholeSoy plain yogurt on top. Mmmm.

grog
11-28-2006, 07:35 PM
you can also wrap the banana in tinfoil and bake it too.

downwithapathy
11-28-2006, 07:36 PM
you can also wrap the banana in tinfoil and bake it too.
Banana boat? I think I made something called that in Girl Scouts. :)

ETA: that involved wrapping a banana in foil and, uh, camp firing it.

vegancellist
11-28-2006, 09:12 PM

baby carrots dipped in peanut butter (so many people seem to think this is gross)

and

potato chips dipped in applesauce

Oh my god....pb on carrots is sooo frickin' good. People think i'm weird because i like pb and carrot sandwiches...pb and brocolli is good too!

vegancellist
11-28-2006, 09:13 PM
My weirdest favorite though is pancakes with corn niblets. I add them to the batter before it hits the griddle. :)

That sounds kind of good.

Vegit-8
11-28-2006, 09:33 PM

I love baby carrots dipped in raw almond butter. Sometimes I blend some ginger and miso into the almond butter first..

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

Vegan_Freak
11-28-2006, 09:48 PM
My dad/sister does the pretzels and mustard thing. But that's because we are of German descent.

In my case:
baked beans and toast, I think it's actually an English thing that I started doing a few years ago.
Slice of bread, w/pb and molasses on it. Although that might not be weird, just grew up with that. My mom would eat it for breakfast, so I'd do the same, or I'd eat it as a snack when I wanted something sugary.
Another peanut butter on a spoon person here. I used to very rarely eat icing from the can, too.:p Huge sugar rush.
I also dipped my fries in Wendy's frosties. That was so good, haven't done it since becoming vegan though. I'll have to try it again, make my own "Frosty."
I also grew up eating spaghetti sandwiches. Made with garlic bread, it just made eating dinner faster and more fun.
Either regular or BBQ chips dipped in ice cream, now w/vegan versions.
Mashed potatoes or french fries w/BBQ sauce.
I think it was last week I was eating baby carrots and pickles at the same time. It was good, the pickles were saltier than usual and having the carrot toned it down a bit.

That's all I can think of right now, but that is quite a few as it is.:D

Flower
11-28-2006, 10:06 PM
corn & mashed potatoes mixed together with Earth Balance. Yum!

vegancellist & vegit- you're my pb soulmates!! :)

vegancellist
11-28-2006, 10:09 PM

:smitten:

hazelfaern
11-29-2006, 03:19 AM
Regular bacon comes from the underside of the animal, and peameal bacon comes from it's back. It's cut much thicker and is usually coated in peameal or cornmeal. It's also called back bacon or Canadian bacon.

OMG, fatback! And here I thought this was just some sort of Southern US indecency...

green_ivy
11-29-2006, 01:57 PM
corn & mashed potatoes mixed together with Earth Balance.

Sounds great!

Oh, and I like pb on my Fritos.

veganshawn
11-29-2006, 02:10 PM
corn & mashed potatoes mixed together with Earth Balance. Yum!

Add some tofurky gravey and that was my lunch yesterday :)

TammyInNewJersey
11-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Hot Dog Burrito! Hot dog in a tortilla with spinach, ketchup, mustard and pickles. MMMMmmmm

i do that too....minus the condiments and pickles.
occasionally i might throw salsa on there instead and some other leafy greens.

and for bluedawg:

regular (http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/ricrfl.html)

and

strawberry (http://www.suzannes-specialties.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.cgi?usr=51J245609&rnd=7450212&rrc=N&affl=&cip=207.189.107.82&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=strawbry_ricemellow&cat=&catstr=)

bluedawg
11-29-2006, 02:29 PM
and for bluedawg:

and

strawberry (http://www.suzannes-specialties.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.cgi?usr=51J245609&rnd=7450212&rrc=N&affl=&cip=207.189.107.82&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=strawbry_ricemellow&cat=&catstr=)
:smitten:

Flower
11-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Add some tofurky gravey and that was my lunch yesterday :)

:drool: Sounds good! :)

veganshawn
11-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Here is one that I like but have not done in a while. Chips, tofurky and mustard on "white bread". Really good!!

TammyInNewJersey
11-29-2006, 05:00 PM
does anyone else dip carrots in peanut butter?
i do that a lot.....mcintosh apples as well.

pinkvegan
11-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Vegan cream cheeze and sliced pickled beets on toast!

Dandelion
11-29-2006, 05:45 PM
does anyone else dip carrots in peanut butter?

nope, never heard of that, wow. :blank:
:silly: :D

pssst (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?p=176883#post176883) :)

TammyInNewJersey
11-29-2006, 05:58 PM
i knew that was gonna happen.

sorry, i occasionally do paperwork INSTEAD of sifting through pages of VRF while i'm on the clock.

Flower
11-29-2006, 06:08 PM
i do that too....minus the condiments and pickles.
occasionally i might throw salsa on there instead and some other leafy greens.

and for bluedawg:

and

Speaking of..... I just had my first fluffernutter ever just a few months ago using the regular flavor. Yum!

Dandelion
11-29-2006, 06:21 PM
i knew that was gonna happen.

sorry, i occasionally do paperwork INSTEAD of sifting through pages of VRF while i'm on the clock.
aint no thang poppi, just feelin sassy today. :)

DTN
11-29-2006, 07:05 PM
i like eating raw cabbage....my husband said that was weird..he also said it tastes like farts.

VegeTexan
11-29-2006, 07:12 PM
i like eating raw cabbage....my husband said that was weird..he also said it tastes like farts.

It does, doesn't it?
I especially like to eat the core of the cabbage raw.

DTN
11-29-2006, 07:13 PM
ooh yeah, me too, with lots of salt

TammyInNewJersey
11-29-2006, 07:15 PM
he also said it tastes like farts.

man, you guys are WILD! :love: :uhoh:

DTN
11-29-2006, 07:16 PM
haha, you sicko!:laugh:

Flower
11-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Speaking of cabbage...

I love to put sauerkraut on a smart dog and top it with bbq sauce mixed with nayonnaise. Yum!

veganshawn
12-01-2006, 04:57 PM

My grandma would give me the "heart of cabbage" when she was making her cabbage and tater dish I always loved to eat it.
Also in Sacramento there is a taqueria that put shredded raw cabbage on their burrito’s and it was super good.

thatonechic
12-03-2006, 01:01 PM
cabbage does taste like farts.
i like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.

IncredibleWeirdo
12-03-2006, 01:09 PM

Woot! My favorite.

Yesterday I had a peanut butter, broccoli, and banana sandwich. PBB&B.

:)

I.Dub

veganshawn
12-03-2006, 03:04 PM

I would like to know how you know what a fart taste like ;)

VegeTexan
12-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Are you sure you want to know?

veganshawn
12-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Are you sure you want to know?

Maybe not :)

Chijou_no_seiza
12-03-2006, 04:44 PM

Dandelion
12-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Also in Sacramento there is a taqueria that put shredded raw cabbage on their burrito’s and it was super good.
a local thai joint would serve pad thai with a big chunk of cabbage. it was a little more than simply garnish and i eventually started eating pad thai cabbage rolls. large leafs of cabbage wrapped around pad thai. :drool:

VeganEdgeKate
12-03-2006, 10:35 PM
pnut butter panda puff cereal with silk chocolate soy milk..yes..mixed together..

VegeTexan
12-03-2006, 10:37 PM
yum VEK, that would be good with some banana.

btw, I recently did some research on the ORAC rating for foods. That's Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity, a factor of the anti-oxidant component of foods. I hope none of you have fallen for goji berries or mangosteen Xango juice or noni juice. The highest rating for antioxidants goes to dark chocolate. High ratings also go to red tea, green tea, blueberries, esp. dried blueberries and prunes.

So I guess if you often snacked on chocolate covered blueberries and wash them down with some red tea, you can live forever.

veganshawn
12-03-2006, 11:22 PM
a local thai joint would serve pad thai with a big chunk of cabbage. it was a little more than simply garnish and i eventually started eating pad thai cabbage rolls. large leafs of cabbage wrapped around pad thai. :drool:

That sounds really good.

hazelfaern
12-04-2006, 01:48 AM
yum VEK, that would be good with some banana.

btw, I recently did some research on the ORAC rating for foods. That's Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity, a factor of the anti-oxidant component of foods. I hope none of you have fallen for goji berries or mangosteen Xango juice or noni juice. The highest rating for antioxidants goes to dark chocolate. High ratings also go to red tea, green tea, blueberries, esp. dried blueberries and prunes.

So I guess if you often snacked on chocolate covered blueberries and wash them down with some red tea, you can live forever.

Nice. :)

MissLovely
12-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Half a grapefruit (white) sprinkled with salt.

I do salt on grapefruit. I've learned that it's "weird."

grog
12-22-2006, 12:36 PM
cause the only way to make bitter better is to make it salty and bitter.

MissLovely
12-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Actually, salt counteracts bitter. That's why you soak eggplant in salt water, if it isn't fresh. Sugar just covers the bitter.

Dandelion
12-22-2006, 01:12 PM
I do salt on grapefruit. I've learned that it's "weird."
i often put spiced salt on any of my snacking citrus

MissLovely
12-23-2006, 01:33 PM
i often put spiced salt on any of my snacking citrus

:banana:

Jezabel*Propaganda
12-26-2006, 09:16 AM
that sounds wierd but it also intregues me so i'm gonna try it!

michiganveganchick
12-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Cornflakes with OJ over them (or apple juice, or sprite) when I was little. I was allergic to milk.

I used to love (and still do :happy: ) pickle juice. straight from the jar. mmmmm

Vegan_Freak
12-26-2006, 05:22 PM
I used to love (and still do :happy: ) pickle juice. straight from the jar. mmmmm

I still do that, at least sometimes. Both of my sisters also do this, we just get yelled at when there's still pickles in the jar.:p

Kriistian
12-29-2006, 09:32 PM
My friends think i'm weird cuz I eat peanut butter, pickles and crackers/chips together...

dropscone
01-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I took a red bell pepper to work and ate it like an apple. The looks of incredulity I got were priceless. I really didn't think it was that weird a thing to do, but evidently it's regarded as weird by some people :)

LuC
01-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Chocolate (vegan of course) and bread? :umm:

dropscone
01-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Chocolate (vegan of course) and bread? :umm:

I wouldn't say that was weird at all! Chocolate spread? Pain au Chocolat? it's a classic combination :)

Nanashi
01-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I took a red bell pepper to work and ate it like an apple. The looks of incredulity I got were priceless. I really didn't think it was that weird a thing to do, but evidently it's regarded as weird by some people :)

I just gave you the same look of incredulity, but you didn't see it. :p

bluedawg
01-06-2007, 05:15 PM
I just gave you the same look of incredulity, but you didn't see it. :p
HEE!

green_ivy
01-06-2007, 06:06 PM

Sounds delish, but doesn't raw bell pepper make your mouth all bubbly?

dropscone
01-08-2007, 07:54 PM
nope :)

Tigerlily
01-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Emiloid suggested I post this here. I originally posted it in the mac'n'cheese thread.

This might sound gross, but I also really liked Kraft Dinner sandwiches. Two slices of buttered bread with mac'n'cheese in the middle. Maybe a squirt of ketchup.

Dandelion
01-08-2007, 09:24 PM
that definitely belongs here. :D

Emiloid
01-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Emiloid suggested I post this here. I originally posted it in the mac'n'cheese thread.

This might sound gross, but I also really liked Kraft Dinner sandwiches. Two slices of buttered bread with mac'n'cheese in the middle. Maybe a squirt of ketchup.

Hey, you should post that in the Mac n' Cheeze thread! Oh wait... never mind.

krista82
01-08-2007, 11:42 PM
I used to dip my Freedom Fries in chocolate shakes/Wendy's Frostys. I haven't tried it with a vegan chocolate shake cause I can never find any soy based non dairy frozen desert 'round here.
~Wondre
I used to do that too! I need to go get me some vegan chocolate ice cream and some french fries, that sounds so yummy!

Are Wendy's fries safe for vegans to eat? (aside from the fact they are bad for you)

Tigerlily
01-08-2007, 11:47 PM
I might have already posted this but I can't remember (and I'm *not* looking for it).

I like jam and ketchup on my toast.

krista82
01-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Not only did I do the Wendy's fries and frosty thing but when I worked at McDonald's as a kid I would eat their fries with mayo. I used to love it. I am tempted to try some french fries with vegenase sometime.

When I was in elementary school, I would dip baby carrots in caramel dip.

I love peanut butter on my pancakes. It's very normal in my family, but some people think we are weird (until they try it and find out how yummy it is!).

I also used to make toast, put some butter on it and then spinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. It was yummy! Haven't had that in years though.

bluedawg
01-09-2007, 12:12 AM
When I was in elementary school, I would dip baby carrots in caramel dip.
i was reading too quickly, and i saw that as camel dip. :laugh:

krista82
01-09-2007, 12:24 AM
i was reading too quickly, and i saw that as camel dip. :laugh:
Haha, that's really funny! :laugh:

michiganveganchick
01-09-2007, 01:11 AM

My boss does the same thing! She hates green peppers, but will eat red and yellow peppers like an apple....

grog
01-09-2007, 01:19 AM
that's cause they are ripe, the green ones are just unripe.

Tigerlily
01-09-2007, 01:58 PM
I also used to make toast, put some butter on it and then spinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. It was yummy! Haven't had that in years though.

Pft! That's not weird! :silly: It's called cinnamon toast, it's kinda popular, actually. :)

Dandelion
01-09-2007, 03:02 PM
yeah i put peanut butter in between two pieces of bread and eat it with my hands. sometimes i even put jelly in it too!
;)

bluedawg
01-09-2007, 03:09 PM
yeah i put peanut butter in between two pieces of bread and eat it with my hands. sometimes i even put jelly in it too!

GROSS!

krista82
01-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Pft! That's not weird! :silly: It's called cinnamon toast, it's kinda popular, actually. :)
I didn't know many people outside of my family ate that. That's good to know.

herbi
01-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Heehee- yeah, there's a whole cereal named after it and everything!

(The red pepper thing is just weird though. Sorry, dropscone! :silly: )

krista82
01-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Heehee- yeah, there's a whole cereal named after it and everything!
Oh yeah, cinnamon toast crunch. Duh!

I was at the store the other day and saw that cereal and was sad it wasn't vegan (not that I need that junk in my body anyway, but still!)

Chijou_no_seiza
01-10-2007, 11:46 PM
I know when I read dropscone's post I went :o

But I realized I only like eating bell peppers fresh (with food...) like on toast with gimmie lean. It's yummy, but only a plain pepper? That's just a tad weird :D

grog
01-12-2007, 12:42 AM
i just mixed some fresh squeezed OJ with soymilk and a spoonfull of sugar. it makes for a thick orangey goodness.

herbi
01-12-2007, 12:48 AM
i just mixed some fresh squeezed OJ with soymilk and a spoonfull of sugar. it makes for a thick orangey goodness.

EW EW EW EW EW!!!!! :sick:

grog
01-12-2007, 12:51 AM
no, its good, like an orange julious but without the julious! I mean ice cream.

why does my stomach hurt?

herbi
01-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Mine hurts just from reading about it. :no:

Chijou_no_seiza
01-12-2007, 12:58 AM
just a spoonful of sugar makes the goopyness go down...

mishka
08-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I just discovered Vegenaise on cheeseless pizza. :blank:

Dandelion
08-09-2007, 12:07 AM
I just discovered Vegenaise on cheeseless pizza. :blank:
Herbi discovers that on everything. :p

VegeTexan
08-09-2007, 12:10 AM
I like a dollop on mustard greens. Yum

doomdiva
08-09-2007, 03:23 AM
when we were kids, my mom would put wheat germ in our cereal, ice cream and in our yogurt, trying to add a little nutrition to our otherwise very unhealthy, cheap and greasy food. I havent had it in ages, and I kinda miss it. I saw it at Target and told hubby what it is and what you can put it on, and he just gave me the most disgusted look on his face.

I should buy it and eat it right in front of him! :silly:

bluedawg
08-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Herbi discovers that on everything. :p
ha!! that absolutely cracked me up.

too bad she can't pronounce it correctly.

*runs away*

Flower
08-09-2007, 07:44 PM

Oh, and my first response to it on pizza is 'ew'! I suppose I should try it sometime, though, just to see. Or not. :p

herbi
08-11-2007, 03:22 PM
:brood:

armorxforxsheep
08-14-2007, 05:12 PM
my fave is still grilled pb and banana with chocolate sauce

Ooh, that sounds good! Maybe with some of that Smucker's Marshmallow topping....

This just made me soooo hungry..haha. :drool:

faeriedude
08-18-2007, 08:36 PM
I love to eat durian. It's this stinky, spikey thai fruit. Although it smells like onions and tastes like sweet onion custard, I LOVE IT! It's my addiction.

Tofunater
10-05-2008, 04:17 PM
this thread is great. when i was little i loved butter and mayo on white bread. my dad always told me i was gonna have nightmares. now i have to go try the vegan version!

Calliope
10-05-2008, 05:11 PM
My sister and I used to make 'condiment sandwiches' as a snack when we were younger. They usually consisted of sour cream, mayonaise, mustart, ketchup and relish....and some seasoning salt.

Come to think of it, that would be pretty easy to veganize, though I don't know why I'd ever want to. :p

lamb
10-05-2008, 05:32 PM
I love to eat durian. It's this stinky, spikey thai fruit. Although it smells like onions and tastes like sweet onion custard, I LOVE IT! It's my addiction.

Do you eat it fresh? I had the dried version... Though perhaps it isn't much different taste-wise :confused:

vegankitty
11-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I love baked potatoes with a little bit of hot pepper sesame oil and ume plum vinegar.