View Full Version : Cornbread Casserole Recipes?
12-07-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm trying to track down a vegan version of that old holiday staple, Cornbread Casserole. Does anyone remember this stuff? I'm having a tough time finding a veg-friendly recipe. Any help is very much appreciated!
12-10-2004, 11:58 AM
I found this one... wouldn't any kind of egg replacer work? Oatker's makes a vegan corn bread mix and you could use vegan cheese, of course. I have no idea what to substitute for the sour cream though. :confused:
* 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained and 1/2 liquid reserved
* 1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn
* 2 eggs
* 1 (8 ounce) package dry corn bread mix
* 1 cup sour cream
* 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine corn, reserved liquid, eggs, corn bread mix and sour cream; stir until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with cheese.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown.
I don't ever remember sour cornbread. How it all Vegan has a sourcreme recipe, which I think gkleinman posted in the potatoe Latke recipe.
12-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks kimmy and grog!
I could always use Tofutti Sour Supreme for the sour cream, that stuff tastes great and works pretty well in recipes. However, cream-style corn has dairy in it. Maybe I could just use another can of whole kernel and add some soy milk (or plain soy creamer)?
12-10-2004, 03:30 PM
alll the creamed corn i have seen didn't have dairy in it, it was just mashed up. maybe try looking at some different brands?
12-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Yes, I've never seen dairy in creamed corn. Despite the name, it's vegan.
12-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Really? Cool! I must've been reading the wrong brands! :rolleyes:
I will definitely try this recipe now. Thank you, everyone! :)
(Oh, and vgnwitch, I love the quote in your signature!)
12-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks again for the recipe, kimmysoo! The casserole turned out great with egg replacer, Tofutti sour cream, and Vegi-Kaas! :yes:
01-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Yay vegi-kaas! :D
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.