PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Sing-along songs!

Kat
11-21-2004, 03:39 PM
And I don't just mean you singing by yourself...I'm talking about at a party or a campfire or in the car, where you've got like 3 or more people singing as loudly (and perhaps out-of-key) as they like :)

Here's mine! I wrote details in brackets.

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen (ever since Wayne's World came out, this has been THE song to sing/scream in the car with my friends)

Vietnam rag by Country Joe & The Fish (I'm actually not sure if that's the name of the song....But I have memorized all the lyrics! My mom and I have a tendancy to belt this one out together....My best friend learned it on guitar for me <3)

I Believe in a Thing Called Love by The Darkness (There is NOTHING more hilarious than a roomful of people singing this one!)

Freaker's Ball by Dr Hook (This has become a campfire song for my friends and I. And on halloween a friend of mine was doing a concert out of town, and we all had to cram in the back of this van to get there, and since it was halloween and my friend had his guitar....it sort of became our theme for the evening :) )

What I Got by Sublime (I don't need to explain how great this song is, right?)

Ska Virino by Esperanto Desperado (mmm....I've got my friends hooked on Finnish Esperanto Ska...)

grog
11-21-2004, 03:53 PM
I've been privy to a few, overly drunken roomfull, renditions of Piano Man, by Billy Joel.

dropscone
11-21-2004, 04:05 PM
I Believe in a Thing Called Love by The Darkness (There is NOTHING more hilarious than a roomful of people singing this one!)

Yes!

That was the first thing I thought of when you said "not by yourself, but with a room full of people"

I have a CD I made specifically with songs to sing along to when I'm in the kitchen

1) Alive from the musical episode of Buffy
2) Paul Newman's eyes - Dogs Die in Hot Cars
3) Son of a preacher man - Dusty Springfield
4) Once too often - Ella Fitzgerald
5) Se a vida e - Pet Shop Boys
6) Reach - S Club 7
7) I believe in a thing called love - The Darkness
8) Tonight we fly - The Divine Comedy
9) Heaven knows I'm miserable now - The Smiths
10) Sapphire Jewel - Trailer Bride
11) I won't change you - Sophie Ellis Bextor
12) Leave right now - Will Young
13) Then the morning comes - Smashmouth
14) Rise and Shine - Rhonda Vincent
15) Tempted - Squeeze
16) This cowboy song - Sting & Pato Banton

My neighbours are probably utterly sick of the first few songs by now because my kitchen wall is shared with their living room and I play this often when I'm doing a bit of washing up.

dropscone
11-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Oh, and we always end up singing 'Hooked on a feeling' and 'Lion sleeps tonight' at parties. But not along to music.

My neighbours probably really do hate me - last party I had people were singing out in the garden at the top of their lungs until about 3am despite my (admittedly halfhearted) attempts to shush them. I was very surprised nobody called the police.

spidermonkey
11-21-2004, 05:07 PM
What I Got by Sublime (I don't need to explain how great this song is, right?)Sublime and that song are awesome! :cool: :thumbsup:

herbi
11-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Heehee... my best friend from college and her now-husband and I all shared a teeny apartment in San Francisco a few years back, and we loved to sing...
The Carmina Burana! :D (For those who don't recognize, it's that really "dramatic" music they always play in movies when like the medieval army is sweeping into the defenseless village, nice and loud and in Latin. Specifically both parts of "Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi", but we'd occasionally branch out...) She and I on our own love to harmonize to things like Simon & Garfunkel ("Cecilia" is a favorite) and They Might Be Giants ("Cowtown" is a good one for singin').

There are actually a whole set of different songs when it comes to all of us (my college crowd) together and drunkenly shouting, and I actually compiled a 2-CD set a few years back. It includes such things as:

- "Paradise City" (also "Sweet Child O Mine") by G'n'R
- "Lola" by the Kinks
- "Add It Up" (and almost ANYTHING else - several songs made the set) by the Violent Femmes
- "Funky Ceili" by Black 47
- "Jump Around" by House of Pain
- "Girls" by the Beastie Boys
- oddly enough, several songs from the "Little Mermaid" soundtrack (for some reason we started singing these drunkenly at parties???)
- "Hotstepper" by Ini Kamoze
- "You Think You're a Man" by the Vaselines
- "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" by the Clash
- "We're a Happy Family" by the Ramones
- "My Girlfriend is a Vampire" by the Planet Smashers
- "So Lonely" by the Police
- "You Never Can Tell" from the Pulp Fiction soundtrack
- "I Will Survive", the Cake cover
- "Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction
- "A Man You Don't Meet Everyday" & "Sally Maclennane" by the Pogues.

Also various Gypsy Kings songs are on there, but I wouldn't call what happens when a bunch of Americans drunkenly attempt rapid-fire Spanish "singing along" exactly... ;)

herbi
11-21-2004, 06:00 PM
oh yeah, almost forgot! "Kiss" by Prince. I don't think I've ever been anywhere when that came on and everyone present didn't bust out their craziest falsetto! :D

Stitches
11-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Anything by The Ramones.

Too many other songs to list here...

lex_talionis
11-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Dirty old Town, by the Pogues.

Emiloid
11-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Ummm... "Puff the Magic Dragon" and "The Cat Came Back" if you're camping, especially with kids. Anything by Peter Paul and Mary seems well-suited for campfire sing-alongs. Of course, the Beatles are always a good bet: "O-Bla-Di, O-Bla-Da", "Yesterday", "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds", and "Let it Be" come to mind.

When I was in Seattle, the following seemed very popular at the local karaoke bar/bowling alley--the whole place would be singing, so you could hardly hear the person on stage (probably a good thing!):

"Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond
"Piano Man" by Billy Joel
And... unexplicably "Believe it or Not", the theme from the TV show "The Greatest American Hero", by Joey Scarbury

This is fun! Thanks, Kat!

Tracy G
11-22-2004, 01:54 PM
"Gloom, Despair, and Agony" and "PFFFT! You Were Gone" from the television show Hee Haw.

kimmysoo
11-22-2004, 02:30 PM

This is an AWESOME song to sing with a group! I haven't had a chance, but the next time I'm in the car with my friends I'll be sure to throw the CD in.
:D

It's somewhat lame... okay, majorly lame... but my girlfriends and I always sing along to the old Wilson Phillips song "Hold On."

"some day somebody's gonna make you want to turn around and say goodbye... til then, baby are you gonna let'em hold you down and make you cry... "

kimmysoo
11-22-2004, 02:33 PM
"PFFFT! You Were Gone" from the television show Hee Haw.

Ohmygod... thanks for bringing back a great childhood memory, Tracy! :happy: Hee Haw was my Dad's favorite show... we always sang that song at the top of our lungs. My Dad was responsible for all the PFFFT's. :silly:

Kat
11-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Anyone else ever sing the Mockingbird song?

"MOCK!" "YEAAH!" "ING!" "YEAH!" "BIRD!" "YEAH!" "YEAH!" "YEAH!" :D

My friends and I sometimes do and I feel like that scene from Dumb & Dumber :D

bird
07-03-2005, 03:57 PM
oh yeah, almost forgot! "Kiss" by Prince. I don't think I've ever been anywhere when that came on and everyone present didn't bust out their craziest falsetto! :D:dies laughing: OMG, that's sooo funny and true! Now I'm picturing the scene in Pretty Woman with Julia Roberts in the bubble bath. You're right, that sh*t is universal. Thanks, herbi, for the great laugh! :D :p :laugh:

1Vegan
07-03-2005, 04:35 PM
...I'm talking about at a party or a campfire or in the car, where you've got like 3 or more people singing as loudly (and perhaps out-of-key) as they like :)

:o

I never ever do that, unless I'm Soooooooo drunk........that I can't remember it the next day :p

bird
07-03-2005, 04:37 PM
:o

I never ever do that, unless I'm Soooooooo drunk........that I can't remember it the next day :pSo in other words, you wouldn't really know if you have done that, right? ;)

oldradical
07-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Since I always sing alone, I don't sing along...but there are a few songs I favor, when I do sing. My all-time fave is "French Girl," a lovely song that I originally heard back in the Sixties, performed by a now-unknown Seattle band called The Daily Flash. There are a couple of not-very-good versions of this song on commercial recordings by other artists, but frankly I like my own renditon best. :)

One of the things I like about this song is that it tells a story--it never repeats itself, save for the very last line.

Sunshine
07-04-2005, 11:41 AM
I love singing along to "Take me out to the ballgame" during the seventh inning stretch at Cubs' games along with several thousand other beer swigging fans. Oh, I love going to Cubs games! ....but I digress.....

RESPECT by Aretha - another great sing-along - when she spells it out everyone usually joins in!