PDA

View Full Version : holiday gift ideas

Tofuy
11-13-2004, 06:05 PM
anyone have any ideas on what i should get my mom, dad, and sister for the holidays? none of them are vegan but they'd appreciate a good vegan gift.

SbucksPixie
11-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Hello Pangea! If you go to their website, they have ALL SORTS of things that are vegan without being....hmm...how to put this? Without making it look like you're more interested in converting them than in giving them a present.

Tofuy
11-14-2004, 02:52 PM
i get a gift certificate every year to veganstore.com ;)

i'm thinking about books, magazines, extra fun recipes.. things like that. maybe someone has a story about a really great gift they gave or something like that. i'm browsing through that website now, thanks for reminding me! :)

misanthropy
11-14-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm being a bit of a jerk this year and for the most part I am donating money in people's names to Farm Sanctuary. :p

(sorry, I know that wasn't helpful!)

dropscone
11-14-2004, 04:04 PM
I don't think that's being a jerk. I'm planning to do something similar myself for people I think will like it - my housemate always requests stuff like that anyway, I think last year I got him membership to Amnesty International.

most of the people I know have too much stuff - ask them what they want and they don't know, so it's a choice between buying them some useless novelty thing, something consumable like wine (or making truffles/cookies/etc.) or a charity donation. I like how a lot of charities are packaging their donations in a nice way so you can, for instance, buy food for a rescue animal for a year, or save the sight of two people.

ohbugs
11-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Lush products would make nice gifts.

Kat
11-14-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm making candy and baked goods for a lot of people. My closest friends are getting those, and nice little extras like unique teapots i've found in thrift stores, paperbacks about things i think they'd like to read about, sachets of tea, etc :) So yeah, gift baskets for my two bests :D

As far as my family goes, so far it looks like the plan is this: I'm painting each of them a picture and putting it in a nice frame for them. I just hope I get them done before Christmas and manage to do good jobs with the pictures :( I'm not much of a painter...

Oatmeal Girl
11-14-2004, 07:23 PM
This site was just posted about today- I thought it was on this site but maybe it was another- https://www.serrv.org/index.php - A Greater Gift- carries all kinds of products that are made by merchants all over the world.

"A Greater Gift markets fairly traded handcrafts and foods from around the world though a network of alternative and natural food stores, churches, nonprofit groups, our direct mail catalog and our online store. We partner with more than 90 groups of artisans and farmers in 35 countries. Our goal is to alleviate poverty and empower low-income people through trade, training and other forms of capacity building as they work to improve their lives.

A Greater Gift is a program of SERRV International, a nonprofit alternative trade and development organization. SERRV has been working to assist artisans and farmers for more than 55 years and it is an accredited member of the International Fair Trade Association.

Our new program name A Greater Gift reflects the way we feel about our partners. Their skills are a gift they share with us. When you make a purchase, you give a greater gift of self-sufficiency, dignity and hope.

Join us! Click Get Involved to learn more ways you can spread hope and justice with every purchase."

misanthropy
11-14-2004, 10:45 PM
I don't think that's being a jerk. I'm planning to do something similar myself for people I think will like it - my housemate always requests stuff like that anyway, I think last year I got him membership to Amnesty International.Yeah, I personally don't think it's being a jerk but some of the people (i.e., some family members) will think I'm being a jerk. They expect gifts that aren't donations... :rolleyes:

spasticastic
11-15-2004, 01:06 AM
My holiday gift ideas are Level Nine Top Secrets until the end of the parcel swap! :laugh:

attackferret
11-15-2004, 01:50 AM
Oatmeal Girl - Thanks for sharing 'A Greater Gift'! I think some people on my list are going to get presents from there, thanks to you :)

Tracy G
11-15-2004, 09:58 AM
This site was just posted about today- I thought it was on this site but maybe it was another- https://www.serrv.org/index.php - A Greater Gift- carries all kinds of products that are made by merchants all over the world.

That was me (http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/showpost.php?p=49070&postcount=13). :D

I've been a customer of SERRV (which recently underwent a name change to A Greater Gift) for at least 12 years. I'm very happy with their items; I have no complaints whatsoever except for what I alluded to in the first post: about half of the things I wanted were out-of-stock when I placed this last order.

If you're having trouble getting what you want right away, you might look to see if there's a Ten Thousand Villages (http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/) store near you. They carry many of the same items that you can see on A Greater Gift's website. Ten years ago, we had our wedding registry at a Ten Thousand Villages, and we still have nearly all of those useful and aesthetically pleasing gifts in our home. (I think we've lost just one clay pot, which broke, and we have an area rug that's about to be retired.)

gladcow
11-15-2004, 01:09 PM
My mom got all my birthday presents from Ten Thousand Villages this year. I got 2 bars of soap from India, and a hemp bag, and a package of 10 bean soup. She also got my daughter a mulitcultural lullaby cd. Great stuff.

Kat
11-15-2004, 01:55 PM
I love Ten Thousand Villages. It's just too bad that it's so expensive. I'd love to support more fair trade products, but it's difficult to cough up ten dollars for a small jar of chutney, ya know? (Then again, if someone wanted to buy me a single ten-dollar gift, and it happened to be chutney from there, i'd be ecstatic.)

Lacykitten
11-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Oooo... I have been looking for some easy cheap ideas for gifts because I'm jobless and broke. And it's good to get a head start on things. :)

I haven't found anything for my dad or uncles or boy cousins though.

My boyfriend is getting a big (like, 40+ diferent item) coupon book for things for us to do together and for me to do for him. ;)

My mom is getting a coupon book of body lovin' - massage, foot massage, pampering; and a wine kit.. basically a bottle of wine, and a set of glasses that I'm going to etch with Kokopelli designs, as she loves Kokopelli. :D I am really excited about that one. I think she'll love it!

My aunts are getting herbal relaxation pillows, aromatherapy room/body spray, bath salts, peppermint foot massage oil.

My girl cousin and my godsisters are getting aromatherapy spray, bath salts, fizzing bath salts, bath bombs.

I am psyched... but sad because I can't find anything for my uncles, cousins or Dad that are self-made.. I really don't ever see uncles or cousins so I don't know enough about them really.

Kat
11-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Lacy, you could make or buy them junk food :) That's what I did for my dad last Christmas. I made him a basket with all sorts of vegan snacks I knew he'd like, such as peanuts, pistachios, chocolates, sunflower seeds, etc.

Lacykitten
11-19-2004, 08:06 AM
I'm so broke I need a cast, so I'm not gonna be buying much of anything.