PDA

View Full Version : Dates

Dandelion
03-14-2003, 11:14 PM
some silly grrl left a bag o chopped dates here...
what do i do with them?
any ideas you sweet chefs?

Vegit-8
03-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Oh yeah...scored some sweet goodness did you?
If they are really soft you can skip the first step.
Soak them in warm water for an hour or so then mix them with dried coconut and some almond butter and roll into balls to make orbs of bliss.:D
I also like to blend them with frozen banana and a bit of almond butter to make the most delicious frozen dessert.
Or blend them with fresh banana and some almond butter or/and carob powder and pour over vegan ice cream.

Man, I am soooo ready for dessert.

May peace and joy be with you in the sweetest of ways.
Vegit-8

Dandelion
03-14-2003, 11:46 PM
OMG Vegit the orbs o bliss sound awesome!
i think i'ma gonna try that.
i've never worked with dates before (yes these are dried) so it'll be a fun experiment.
thanks!

purplemackerel
03-15-2003, 04:03 AM
If they are not too dry you can munch on them as a tasty snack, just as they are. If a little fossilised, soak them in apple juice and make a scrummy date cake. :)

redlentils
03-15-2003, 04:15 AM
boil them up with an equal amount of tamarind pulp. cool. strain. add a pinch of cumin and chili powder. voila! tamarind sauce. freeze as ice cubes. add to curries and stews. :)

Husky Corn Star
03-15-2003, 04:27 AM
Anyway you do them, they will keep you regular ;)

Count Duckula
03-15-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Husky Corn Star
Anyway you do them, they will keep you regular ;)

No Sh*t !!!

Mwah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!

:drunk:

misanthropy
03-15-2003, 01:13 PM
How about some raw food recipes (http://www.rawfoods.com/recipes)? Tons of the cookies & treats and desserts use dates in them.

These (from the same website) are supposed to be outstanding. I haven't tried them yet though.

Tastes Like Hostess Crumb Donuts by Lucy Yeh

1 cup raw almonds
1 cup very soft, pitted dates
1/2 cup finely shredded banana squash
1/2 cup shredded coconut
more shredded coconut for rolling
splash olive oil
vanilla
1-2 tablespoons nutmeg
sea salt

Put almonds in food processor and process to very fine pieces. Add dates, a little at a time. Add splash of olive oil, a little salt and a little vanilla. The mixture will look like very coarse meal at first, and then all of a sudden it will come together in one big ball.

Take the big ball out of the food processor and, using your hands, mix in the shredded squash, the nutmeg and the shredded coconut until it is all mixed in. Taste and add more coconut or nutmeg if desired.

Roll the mixture into small balls, and roll in shredded coconut to cover. Place on a plate in a single layer and chill in the freezer until firm. After they are firm, you can put them in a container; they will keep for a very long time in the freezer.

veggiemyte
03-17-2003, 05:45 PM
Date and Nut bread warm from the oven with Tofutti Cream Cheese, mmmmm! Beats Banana Bread, hands down!

VeganMegan
03-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Dates are so yummy. I just posted a recipe for Persian Rice (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=496) that uses them.

Emiloid
03-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Chopped dates are also good in oatmeal. Add them while cooking for moist dates, or at the end if you like them chewier.

You could also add them to cookies, in place of raisins.

thegronc
03-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Eat them straight up! Dates don't need any help-they are my favorite fruit.

Apple
10-26-2006, 10:37 AM
I got a job at a whole foods store out here and was bagging medjool dates...needless to say, I sampled. That was probably the SWEETEST thing I have ever tasted in my life. And I like sweet, so that's definitely saying something.

Does anyone use date sugar in their baking? I would like some tips, I think that since they are so sweet it would require less sugar if I used that instead of granulated sugar.

Ssooooo yummy.

bird
10-30-2006, 09:56 AM
I can't get any. Har.

Dandelion
10-31-2006, 02:34 AM
Vegit-8 demystified dates over the weekend for me as he made these apple treats that tasted like caramel apples!

Kat
10-31-2006, 07:23 AM
nice!

my vote was going to be to bake up some date squares, or to make some kind of granola bars with them.