PDA

View Full Version : fahrenheit 9/11

shedonteatmeat
10-13-2004, 08:41 PM
I thought there was a thread on this already... but I couldn't find it.

I just need to vent a minute, so maybe this should be in friends & family, but since it was related to this movie, I thought I'd put it here.

Ok. So my parents are not political. They are working class people. I've heard them say there were voting for Bush, but honestly I just assumed it was based on his good ole boy routine or something equally trivial. Well today I mentioned to my dad that I had seen Fahrenheit 9/11 last week and he should watch it. He immedietly launched into a huge that-bull****-propaganda-crap-put-out-by-the-liberal-medial tantrum ("it's not true, none of it's true!")... I was a bit blown away. Never heard him utter a political word in my life. No idea where this came from. He wasn't military and no one in his family has been, so it wasn't that (my father-in-law's main reason for hating kerry is his protesting vietnam. I'm guessing it's because he was in nam?). Just got me thinking that this movie must have pissed off more people than I realized. I guess I live in my own little happy bubble or something, not to have noticed before.

My dad was just so convinced it was a huge pile of lies, he made it sound like every single word of it was pulled out of thin air... and I just don't see it. Yes, micheal moore made assumptions, yes he took sides, yes he was showing only one viewpoint... but what was totally made up?

I didn't really see any new information in this movie that I hadn't seen or heard before... for me the controversial parts were the actual footage of "the dubya" reacting to the news of 9/11, throwing out quotes, etc. ( i know, i know, shown in a way that made bush look bad, would make us speculate, etc etc...).

Maybe I'm missing the entire point here. I must be. What do people think was so majorly misrepresented in this movie? (I fully understand that Micheal Moore did his best to make Bush appear to be a total moron and on the verge of destroying the country...but I had that opinion going in! :laugh: )

this probably doesn't make alot of sense, as I'm frustrated and am just spewing... sorry.

shedonteatmeat
10-13-2004, 08:43 PM
bull****

heehee :laugh: :p I never realized that the board automatically censors us. How cute. Protecting our delicate eyes from all the filth! :D ;)

shedonteatmeat
10-13-2004, 08:44 PM
One more thing... he hasn't even seen the damned movie! I'm sure he's just repeating what his friends are saying... it's so wierd to me. To argue so forcefully about something you haven't even seen....

ConsciousCuisine
10-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Your Dad's Reaction mirrors every Republican and Conservative I have heard of or know and so doesn't suprise me. Thanks for sharing; it seems even people who aren't usually blindly influenced like that or involved in politics are anti -Moore.

Much like people who ate fast food refusing to see "Supersize Me", based on their own guilt and unwillingness to change or learn new things about them and their behavior that might create Cognitive Dissonace, Republicans and Bush supporters are refusing to see the movie because they view even the thought of it as "sacrilegious".

It is so sad; I pray I never become so closed-minded and closed hearted that I believe nasty rhetoric and form opinions blindly without close personal examination...

shedonteatmeat
10-13-2004, 08:59 PM
It is so sad; I pray I never become so closed-minded and closed hearted that I believe nasty rhetoric and form opinions blindly without close personal examination...

I agree :umm: Scary.

spasticastic
10-14-2004, 12:49 AM
If Rush Limbaugh made a documentary and skewed everything to ultra-conservative, hawkish point of view ... I would not pay to go see it! Maybe that's close-minded of me, but I don't have all day to listen to nonsense just so I can practice filtering it out--not to mention the money! :D

So that's my reverse-the-roles scenario that I do every time. Fahrenheit had some facts in it, but it was obviously slanted way to the left. That kind of approach can easily be shut off by the other side. All the conservative outlets denounced it as fiction, op-ed, unpatriotic, etc. Your dad probably just picked this up, and probably had a somewhat conservative background when the movie came out.

I was personally disappointed with the movie, because I felt like it resorted to cheap shots and fiction movie techniques. This administration has done so much that is wrong ... I hoped the movie would just pile facts on top of other facts until the irrefutable truth was revealed. But instead it was obviously biased. It's good that the masses got to see an angry lefty opinion five by five (hah! I used it in a sentence! :cool: What do I win? :D ). But that kind of thing is so easy for righties to dismiss!

Dandelion
10-14-2004, 01:43 AM
oh man i'd love to see a Limbaugh film! Like watching a carwreak. :p

i was a big Moore fan with his TV shows but the F911 disappointed me. and THEN i learn just tonight that the animation in Bowling for Columbine was NOT done by the SouthPark guys. I foolishly assumed it was. Moore blatantly interviewed them and did a SouthPark style animation right after to make it appear they contributed. He's lost alotta credibility and respect from me.
Boo M.Moore! :brokenheart:

shedonteatmeat
10-14-2004, 07:52 AM
and THEN i learn just tonight that the animation in Bowling for Columbine was NOT done by the SouthPark guys. I foolishly assumed it was. Moore blatantly interviewed them and did a SouthPark style animation right after to make it appear they contributed. He's lost alotta credibility and respect from me.

agh! I had no idea. That's pretty screwed up.

dirt
10-14-2004, 08:09 AM
oh man i'd love to see a Limbaugh film! Like watching a carwreak. :p

i was a big Moore fan with his TV shows but the F911 disappointed me. and THEN i learn just tonight that the animation in Bowling for Columbine was NOT done by the SouthPark guys. I foolishly assumed it was. Moore blatantly interviewed them and did a SouthPark style animation right after to make it appear they contributed. He's lost alotta credibility and respect from me.
i didnt really think the animation resembled south park at all. and i would not have assumed matt and tre had anything to do with it...
and as for mr moor, well, he's sort of a jerk... not to say i dont like his films... but not to say i totally agree with how he puts things together.

Dandelion
10-14-2004, 12:03 PM
it's South Park style spot on. It fooled me and i dabble in the industry. :p
A jerk, perhaps...i'm glad he's keeping the conservatives busy at least. :)

i didnt really think the animation resembled south park at all. and i would not have assumed matt and tre had anything to do with it...
and as for mr moor, well, he's sort of a jerk... not to say i dont like his films... but not to say i totally agree with how he puts things together.

herbi
10-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Yeah, the more (no pun intended) I see of his, the less I like him. Either he's changing his style over time to be less informative and more annoying, or I'm changing how I look at him due to overexposure or some other factor. (Plus, you know, he's very vocally ANTI-AR...) Argh, don't you hate it when someone you WANT to agree with is just a jerk?

purplemackerel
10-25-2004, 11:57 AM
I think one of the things I found disturbing about the film was how the army go to poor areas and promise young, marginalised men the earth if they sign up. There they were in the swanky dress uniforms...god I wanted to cry.

I think that it can be easy to put people on pedestals, and then realise they are just as human as we are, and have faults. We can all be jerks. I read an interview with MM in the Observer a couple of months ago. He and his family have suffered with death threats etc. This my have made him more passionate about the causes he believs in, and may be a reason why his style
may have changed...well, that's my probably incorrect tuppence.