PDA

View Full Version : Double Chocolate Delight Cake

quagga
07-20-2004, 09:23 PM
I made the cake below the other day for my sweetie's brother's birthday. There's a separate frosting--please let me know if y'all want me to post it. My guests devoured the whole unfrosted cake in nothing flat. I really recommend using coconut milk instead of soy milk, if you can handle the extra fat. I just poured out a 15 oz can of coconut milk into a two-cup measuring cup and added enough water to make two cups. I used Follow Your Heart mayonnaise.

Lois Dieterly's book, Sinfully Vegan, is excellent.

Enjoy!

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Double Chocolate Delight

Recipe By : Lois Dieterly
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Cakes & Frostings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/4 cups flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups soy milk
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened

Preheat oven to 375F. Coat two 8-inch cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line the botton of each pan with waxed or parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, sweetener, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine soy milk, vanilla, mayonnaise, and applesauce. Slowly pour liquid mixture into dry mixture and stir to combine.
Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cake cake to cool completely before frosting.
If you did not prepare the Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting the day before, prepare it while the cake is baking.

To Assemble Cake:
Cut the rounded top off of each layer. Using a sharp knife or wire cake cuter, cut cake layers in half horizontally to form four thin layers. Place bottom layer on serving plate. Ice top and place another layer on. Continue until you reach the top layer. Place top layer on upside down so that the bottom of that layer is the top of the cake. This makes the top of the cake completely flat and easier to frost and decorate. Frost top and sides of the cake.

Per serving: 341 Calories; 14g Fat (36% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 5mg Cholesterol; 354mg Sodium

NOTES : Try using 15 ounce can of coconut milk instead of soy milk. :banana:

Emiloid
07-21-2004, 03:38 PM
*drool*

This sounds yummy... and I've been craving chocolate cake lately. Thanks for posting the recipe!

vegangurl
10-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Thankz for the recipe I was looking for a chocolate cake for my birthday.

bird
10-31-2005, 01:54 PM
Ooh, if it's not too much trouble, could we please have the frosting recipe, too? Hubby already makes great chocolate cake, but we haven't come up with a good frosting yet.

atouria
02-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Bumping this up for the frosting, please. I'm going to try this one tonight in hopes that it will work for the babe's first birthday in 2 weeks!

bumblebee
02-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Ooh, if it's not too much trouble, could we please have the frosting recipe, too? Hubby already makes great chocolate cake, but we haven't come up with a good frosting yet.

If you want a hard icing recipe, I have an excellent chocolate one, that I got out of Double Day, a long time ago.

The recipe isn't difficult, it just makes hard icing. :p

atouria
02-03-2008, 07:09 PM
PS. Can I 'onelayerify' this cake if I don't want to be fancy with all the extra layers?

atouria
02-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Found it on another msg board:

You can prepare the frosting when the cake is cooking or you can prepare it the day before – it will need to sit in the fridge for an hour or two to thicken before you can put it on the cake.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

12 ounces – one box of firm silken tofu
8 oz of soy cream cheese such as toffuti which has no casein
3 cups of powdered sugar (icing sugar)
Quarter of a cup of unbleached flour
250 grams of vegan chocolate.

Method

Place tofu in a food processor and process until smooth. Scrape down the sides as necessary then add the cream cheese and process till smooth. Add the sugar and flour and process again. Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl placed over a pan full of boiling water and then add to the mix and whiz again.