PDA

View Full Version : bouillion cubes

bellasmom
02-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Is there such a thing as vegan bouillion cubes?

iamtheqbu
02-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Are those the funny little cube things you put in soup sometimes to make it taste like...somethin' I don't use them (duh! :rolleyes: ), but I do 'crock' up some pretty good soups without them anyway. Do they have other uses and I'm just one of those silly naive vegan cooks?:D

misanthropy
02-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Yes there is!

Various brands are available (organic brands too). Check your local health food store or grocery store. Some brands even carry vegan "chicken" and "beef" bouillon cubes.

I believe that Knorr & McCormick's have vegan cubes (check the ingredients). Most bouillon cubes are pretty high in sodium though and can contain MSG. Organic ones are usually free from MSG.

Right now I am using one from Italy that my sister bought me. It's porcini mushroom and oh so yummy!

Hope this helps.

-- Ida :)

P.S. Iamtheqbu, bouillon cubes are a quick way for making stock. Any place really where you would use vegetable stock - soups, stews, for soaking TVP, gravies, etc.

shedonteatmeat
02-24-2003, 08:02 PM
I love these too! I didn't think they existed,then was thrilled to find them at the health food store :) Sorry I don't have any right now and can't remember the brands I've bought!

bellasmom
02-25-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks for all the help. It is nice to know that they are out there. I bought veg ones but after getting them home, I found out they are not vegan. I am new to all this so cooking and buying food is still hard for me. Does anyone have advice on a book that has all the animal products listed so I am not buying things thinking that they are vegan and then finding out they are not. Thanks:huh:

iamtheqbu
02-25-2003, 01:45 PM
How it all Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer has a great list in the appendix. There is also a web site http://animal-ingredients.hypermart.net/ that I find very useful!

misanthropy
02-25-2003, 01:46 PM
PETA has a list too: http://www.peta.org/mall/cc/ingred.html

VeganKen
02-25-2003, 06:47 PM
I have some by Organic Country. The organic Vegetable Harvest or Legumes Jardinieres. (Me thinks these must be sold in Quebec too.)

Says on the package: No MSG * No Gluten * Vegan. Sea Salt, however, is the main ingredient. :eek:

Emiloid
03-05-2003, 06:16 PM
I really like Rapunzel brand cubes. They are vegan, organic, and contain no MSG. There are three flavors: a low/no salt version, one with sea salt, and one with sea salt and herbs. They are all really good, and all vegan. It even says so on the box! They are maybe a bit pricey, depending on your budget: about $1.75 to $2.50 for a box of 8 cubes. Each cube makes 2 cups of broth. Personally, I'm a big soup person, so I think they are well worth the price.

sheila
03-05-2003, 10:42 PM
I agree Emiloid, Rupunzel vegan bouillon cubes are the greatest. A good powdered one that doesn't contain any salt and uses nutritional yeast for a base is Gayelord Houser. It is very vegetable. I have a recipe for vegan chicken style bouillon powder if anyone would like it.

Emiloid
03-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by sheila
I have a recipe for vegan chicken style bouillon powder if anyone would like it.

Oh, please!!!! I'd love to see it.

sheila
03-06-2003, 09:27 AM
Here you go Bryanna Grogan posted this on her message board the a few weeks ago and I snagged it.

BRYANNA'S HOMEMADE VEGAN CHICKEN-STYLE BROTH POWDER
makes about 1 and 1/2 C.
Blend in a dry blender:
1 and 1/3 c. good-tasting nutritional yeast flakes
3 T. onion powder
2 and 1/2 T. sea salt
2 and 1/2 tsp. garlic granules or powder
1 T. soymilk powder
1 T. white beet sugar
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. finely crumbled dried sage (NOT powdered)
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. tumeric
Store in an airtight container and use 1 level tablespoon per cup of water.

Delirium76
03-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Just wanted to add another hooray for Rapunzel cubes. I made a soup with them this weekend and it was mighty tasty..of course, it could have been my fantabulous cooking skills but the cubes helped. ;)

misanthropy
03-09-2003, 04:59 PM
I wonder if those Rapunzel cubes are available in Canada. Hmm...

VeganKen
03-09-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Delirium76
Just wanted to add another hooray for Rapunzel cubes. I made a soup with them this weekend and it was mighty tasty..of course, it could have been my fantabulous cooking skills but the cubes helped. ;)

Yeah, I picked up the Rapunzel low-sodium kind after hearing all the above endorsements. My tomato & chickpea soup turned out really yummy! These cubes will definately become a cupboard staple.

Lacykitten
03-09-2003, 05:24 PM
I forget what kind we have, but mom found them shopping one day. They are "all vegetable boullion cubes" of beef or chicken flavor. I've used them mostly for attempted gravy making but they tasted pretty good. :) I'll try to find out the brand... though it seems like there are lots. ;)

Emiloid
09-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Great news! At least I think it's great news:

"Better Than Boullion" offers a veggie soup base. It's basically a goopy sauce-like base (rather than powder or cubes) that you add to water, a teaspoon or so per cup. (I use less than that and it's plenty strong enough.) It's really tasty, too. Looks like they offer mushroom, too, but I've only seen the veggie kind so far.

Maybe it's not a new product, but I'd never seen it until a week or so ago. Now I'm a happy soup-makin' fool!

nauthiz
09-04-2006, 07:51 PM
I love that stuff! I used to use it when I was a teenager. I haven't seen it in years - I thought the company had gone out of business or something. Good to know it's still around!

Emiloid
09-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Yep, I used to use the meat versions of this kind of base before I was veggie. I'd never seen a veggie version in the stores. I did see some in a really expensive gourmet catalogue a while back, but there was no way I could afford it. I think it was $12 before shipping. Ouch!

MissLovely
09-04-2006, 09:46 PM
I've been buying Better Than Buillion for years. It's yum!

withgoddess
09-04-2006, 09:55 PM
YES! I believe even Knorr makes them...they are easy to find here in Canada even in the regular grocery store.

bird
09-14-2007, 11:21 PM
The hands-down best vegan bouillon cubes are the G. Washington brand. They taste extremely rich and good, so much so that I was really questioning if they were actually vegan (since they are not marketed as such; this is one of those 'accidental' vegan products). I thought there must be something hidden in the ingredients under flavorings or whatnot, but no, they are actually vegan. They taste extremely good, just like the chicken and beef bouillon cubes that most of us grew up with. I have never been able to get used to Rapunzel and other intentionally vegan cubes. No matter how much I use, the broth still tastes watery and weak. Bleagh.

Here is another vouch for G. Washington, from a non-vegan source to boot!

What & Where is George Washington Broth?

Q. I have a recipe that calls for George Washington broth. What is George Washington broth and do you know who makes it? Would a chicken broth substitute or would it need something else?

A. Thatís G. Washington to you! What youíre looking for is a powdered broth mix, sold in packets. We have been able to track down two varieties: G. Washington Rich Brown Seasoning & Broth and G. Washington Golden Seasoning & Broth. There may also have been onion and vegetable varieties at one time, but we canít track down the manufacturer to find out.

The productsí claim to fame is that they are vegetarian, although both are said to have the fuller taste of meat broths. Comparing their ingredients lists, they appear to be identical, except that the rich brown version contains caramel color, while the golden version contains okra powder. As with most bouillon cubes and dry soup mixes the leading ingredient in each is salt (each packet contains 42% of the recommended daily allowance), with monosodium glutamate coming in second.

If the vegetarian aspect is important to the recipe youíre using, substitute a vegetable stock. Otherwise a chicken or beef stock will do fine. As always, a home-made stock will produce a better dish than a commercially manufactured one, whether from a cube, packet, or can.

http://www.ochef.com/188.htm

Here is a succinct history of the product, as given by the manufacturer:

http://www.homestatfarm.com/history_gwashington.php

I first discovered this stuff when I lived in PA. The only place that had it was the local Superfresh, a very large conventional grocery store comparable to Safeway in the Northwest or Pathmark in the Northeast. Superfresh stopped carrying it after a while and I got very sad, because I have never since found a vegan bouillon worth buying. It seems to not be very widely distributed, even among conventional supermarkets.

However, I just thought to Google it because it's so cold here and I really like the comfort of sipping a rich mug of broth when I get home, so much so that I'm willing to pay to have little soup cubes shipped to me.

There are basically two main flavors: Golden and Brown. You can guess what's supposed to be what. Both are equally good, in my opinion. The distributor sells the Brown on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BQLAU/ref=cm_cr_thx_view/105-7731238-9138864) by the case (high enough to qualify for free shipping), but not the Golden.

You can find other places selling it, too. Here are both flavors listed at a site that specializes in selling hard-to-find brands:

http://www.mybrandsinc.com/ShopOnline/Catalog.asp?t=6&s=G&ss=GWAS

But the best site seems to be this one:

http://stores.pkuperspectives.com/Detail.bok?no=28

Because it gives you a choice of how many boxes you want (you can buy as few as two boxes of each flavor, or 4 of each flavor - no need to get a whole case of 24 boxes [of 8 cubes per box], as on Amazon). And, their shipping is free! I haven't placed an order yet because I figure I should check out a conventional supermarket or two here first to see if they in fact don't have it (I'm always faithful to my co-op, so I've never gone into one of these in Minneapolis before). If I can't find it locally, I'll buy it from this site.

ETA: It's Kosher, too.

KaliMama
03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
LOOKIT!

http://krishnamama.com/images/kitchen/chipotle_cubes.jpg

Throw a couple of these into some boiling water and use it to reconstitute TVP. Do it now.

KaliMama
03-03-2009, 03:37 PM
P.S. I :heart: Better than Bouillon's Vegan No Chicken (http://www.superiortouch.com/btb.htm) the best for making soups, gravies, etc.

gladcow
03-03-2009, 03:39 PM
the Rapunzel are my favorite, but my NFS doesn't carry them anymore :(

KaliMama
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I haven't tried Rapunzel, I'll see if my co-op carries it.

nauthiz
03-03-2009, 03:49 PM
I like the Maggi ones best, but my grocery store stopped carrying them. :cry:

gladcow
03-03-2009, 03:50 PM
oh, nauthiz, I feel your pain :cry:

tin can
03-03-2009, 03:50 PM
NFS

Hmm. Not-too-bad-for-you Food Shop?

gladcow
03-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Natural Food Store

shananigans
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Itís not in cube form, but Iíve been making Bryanna's "chicken-style" broth powder (http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2008/02/homemade-veggie-broth-powder-big-batch.html) (scroll down a bit).

Now I am intrigued with those chipotle cubes.

tin can
03-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Natural Food Store

Close! :)

gladcow
03-03-2009, 04:20 PM
:D yes

KaliMama
03-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Now I am intrigued with those chipotle cubes.

deadlyhead eats them. :yuck:

gur
03-03-2009, 08:46 PM
i used to nibble on bouillion cubes as a kid. :silly: i don't think i ever ate a whole one at once though!

Emiloid
03-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I've been using Better Than Bullion No Chicken broth and Vegetable Broth. I just got No Beef broth, but haven't tried it yet.

Another favorite is Seitenbacher powdered veggie broth. Man, that stuff is tasty!

I love Rapunzel, but it's pretty pricey. :( And vegetarian Magi cubes are cheap n' tasty... and hard to find, for some reason. They're good in beans.

KM, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the chipotle cubes. Making TVP with them sounds like a great idea!

michiganveganchick
03-03-2009, 11:24 PM
the better than bouillon full-salt variety was so much tastier than the low-sodium version, which is all i can find at whole foods anymore.

Miso Vegan
03-04-2009, 12:56 AM
I have the Harvest Sun bouillon and it's yummy. Maybe you can find that in your area?

tin can
03-04-2009, 05:49 AM
I use the Marigold 'Reduced Salt' vegan bouillon powder. It's really salty! :silly:

quagga
04-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I haven't tried this, but here's a recipe for a homemade veggie bouillion paste. It's basically salt + pureed veggies. I'll give it a try and report back.

LINK (http://cookwithwhatyouhave.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/homemade-veggie-bouillon-new-classes/)

ETA: The blogger is not vegan. Not even close. :( But the recipe itself is vegan.

Emiloid
04-08-2010, 01:38 PM
That looks great, quagga! Please report back. :drool:

KaliMama
04-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Pho broth cubes helped me survive the week-long flu from hell.

Emiloid
04-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Pho broth cubes helped me survive the week-long flu from hell.
PHO. BROTH. CUBES?!? :drool:

Oh, and I'm sorry you were sick. I think pho is one of the best foods on earth, at least when it's made well, and I'm glad it helped you in your time of need. :)

KaliMama
04-14-2010, 01:36 AM
PHO. BROTH. CUBES?!? :drool:

Oh, yes. :yes:

http://gypsyvegan.com/images/fud/pho_chay.jpg