PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King and the books that make you cry.....

PeriledSoul
06-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Besides from him being my fav author, or that his new book in The Dark Tower series is out in 4 days (hip hip hooray for the best series ive ever read!), I just finished reading "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon." And it has to be the most touching and emotional book I have ever read, ever. It felt like I was with this little girl from beginning to end and i shed tears in the last 2 pages of the book. It was amazing, it is now my number 1 stephen king book read to date, and ive read lots of them.

Anyways, READ IT if you want to and have the time, its amazing.

Now on too the second part, which books have made you cry?

Star Wars Vector Prime (if you havent read it, and a star wars fan, or just a person who likes the movies, i wont give it away here unelss i get a consensus about wanting to hear it, but very big role in the star wars universe died)

those are the only two books that have ever made me cry...

Oatmeal Girl
06-04-2004, 08:10 PM
He's my favorite author too! Well, my favorite fiction author. I can't recall offhand what books have made me cry....I think "The Little Prince" might have.

misanthropy
06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Don't know if this counts as a "book"... well, it is a compilation... but "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul" made me cry so hard. I didn't even get past the 3rd story. :(

San
06-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Don't know if this counts as a "book"... well, it is a compilation... but "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul" made me cry so hard. I didn't even get past the 3rd story. :(

So much irony in the title of that book, especially because I love my family's pet chickens as much as the cats.

A lot of books made me cry... The Amber Spyglass, even a bunch of the Animorphs books (which I doubt anyone here read, but they have some animal rights stuff in them).

Since Stephen Kingwas mentioned... I'm reading my first Stephen King book right now, The Stand. I loved the movie but I'm finding the book really old fashioned. For example, I'm 150 pages into the book and there has been at least three times a woman or child has been slapped and the men doing the slapping were portrayed as good characters and the slapping was for the slapees own good. I'm going to stick with the book, however, since I'm intrigued by the plague story.

attackferret
06-22-2004, 08:21 PM
There is a chapter in Gorillas in the Mist where Dian Fossey is talking about two baby gorillas who are going to be sent to zoos. I was bawling like a little baby at the end of that chapter.

Also, a long time ago I cried when one of my favorite characters died in a dragonlance book (although I can't remember which one). Those are the only two occurences of crying at a book I can think of off the top of my head, although I'm sure there are penty more :)

Stitches
06-23-2004, 03:42 AM
The Haunted Pool by George Sand - I'm such a sucker for a happy ending.
The Sexual Politics of Meat by Carol J. Adams
A History of Torture by George Ryley Scott (The things people do to each other just because they can is so sickening and disturbing. This book was written in the 1930s, before the rest of the world knew about the abuses inflicted by the Nazis, and the author blasted the idea that torture was purely a thing of the past and would never happen again. Incidentally, there is a chapter on the torture of animals. This book can be upsetting to the sensitive and the squeamish - I even puked after reading about one particularly disgusting procedure - but, as we all know, ignorance will not protect us.)