PDA

View Full Version : Almost vegan

vaalea
05-03-2004, 06:40 PM
I was raised on a dairy farm. yuck.
In college I met a vegan guy, and eventually became vegetarian. I knew that in the end I would be vegan, but soymilk made me gag. I've cooked vegan meals for a few years, bought milk for myself, and only had eggs in pre-made stuff.

Reading up on the topic has a way of pushing one towards veganism... I especially enjoyed reading stories on the animals at farmsanctuary website. http://www.sentientbeings.org/stories.htm

SO, I started eating lots and lots of chocolate soy icecream... which was rich and creamy, which made up for the fact it had some soy taste. Since I ate so much, I got used to the soy taste, and then found a brand of soymilk I liked. I was more used to the soy taste because of the soy icecream so my little plan worked.

I respect people who can go vegetarian or vegan "cold-turkey" (where did that expression come from :huh: ) but personally I took the transition a little slower, less shock to me, but I also feel secure with each step.. that I won't fall back, or even feel tempted to.
So even though I'm pretty much vegan as far as diet goes, I still call myself vegetarian for now. It does confuse people when I say I'm vegetarian but won't eat anything with dairy in it that they offer.

I'm here because I'm still learning and becoming vegan, and hopefully I can be helpful as well. :) I followed a link from edenbak's blog.

mountainvegan
05-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Welcome, vaalea. :)

Yeah, a slow but sure transition is usually the best way. There's a lot of good info here on fine-tuning so that maybe soon you'll be saying "vegan." :)

grog
05-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Welcome! I never really "drank" milk or liked cereal so I didn't have any problem giving those up. You might try rice milk, or almond milk, etc, if you still don't like the soymilk. Now I just use a dash of vegan whatever in my coffee and I'm happy.

You're link led me to the farm sanctuary site which pointed out one of the sanctuaries is in my backyard, relatively speaking, so I'll have to visit it. Thanks.

Artichoke47
05-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Hey! Welcome to VRF!

I think many people fail to realize that drinking any type of milk is not necessary, so even if you don't like soy milk, that doesn't necessitate drinking cow's milk. I'm glad you found a type that you like. I really like rice milk and use it for hot drinks, such as hot chocolate, and also in cooking French toast or making quesadillas. It's wonderful!

Good luck!

vaalea
05-03-2004, 08:02 PM
I liked the Noel Nog but that only came out seasonally. I generally do not eat cereal, but I confess I went a little crazy on it when they had free movie money in the box (in other words, the cereal was absolutely free since we rent all the time). I was a huge chocolate milk drinking fan from my teen years, it's so conveniently filling when I don't feel like eating... but now I've tried refrigerated Vitasoy Rich Chocolate and I really like it (the shelf pak of Rich Chocolate sucks though).

I did try almond, and rice and oat milks and didn't like them... partly I think cause I found them too watery (besides the taste).. Vitasoy soymilks are very rich and creamy (and no strong soy taste).. the way I like. :D

Thanks for the welcomes.

jenzie
05-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Welcome to VRF vaalea! :)

JasonSt
05-03-2004, 10:29 PM
welcome!

Vegit-8
05-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Welcome to VRF, and thank you for sharing your story. :)

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

spacehippy
05-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Nice to meet you! :)

-Nick

spasticastic
05-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Welcome! And...soymilk definitely grows on you. I thought it was weird at first, but now I think cow milk is just gross and couldn't drink it if I wanted to. I have had some soymilk that was bad, that was old and had separated. But other than that I buy a different brand every time, especially if something's on special. And all that soymilk goes to making..."milk"shakes. Nothing but that, over and over!

Kanga and Roo
05-05-2004, 12:21 PM
[

[/B][/QUOTE]

Welcome to VRF:)

QUOTE]Originally posted by vaalea
[B]So even though I'm pretty much vegan as far as diet goes, I still call myself vegetarian for now. It does confuse people when I say I'm vegetarian but won't eat anything with dairy in it that they offer.

I use to run into the same problem but technically a vegetarian does not consume milk or dairy products. Lacto-ovo vegetarians make that exception.

I am curious what was it like growing up on a dairy farm. Did you like it back then?

vaalea
05-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Kanga and Roo
I use to run into the same problem but technically a vegetarian does not consume milk or dairy products. Lacto-ovo vegetarians make that exception.

Yeah, I basically figured that out with PETA.. they say to go vegetarian and don't drink milk. I always understood vegetarian to mean generally eggs and milk were ok... lacto-ovo being the vegetarian "default".

Originally posted by Kanga and Roo
I am curious what was it like growing up on a dairy farm. Did you like it back then?

I liked my meat. :( but I never wanted to connect where it came from even though I knew. There was good things and bad things.. I hated the work every night (it did pay for my year of college).. the cold of winter, heat of summer.. heavy lifting... as I grew older I hated the dirt more and more... the flies... I didn't like seeing the calves taken away from the mothers... and looking back I hated how irresponsible I was in some aspects. However I would have NEVER survived as a vegetarian still living at home.
Playing in the hay was fun. We often had puppies, and kittens, calves of course... worked hard and ate well.

Sometimes I don't know how I put up with all those years on the farm. :p Leaving was not very hard for me. It is a smaller farm, and I still don't understand why they would want to continue working so hard, and long hours, for what seems like so little in return. I really wonder what their wage/hour works out to be. Both my grandparents were farmers, 2/4 of my siblings are dairy farmers as well... thats not including my younger 3 brothers still in school.

I kind of feel sorry for them, not just the animals.:confused:

meatless
07-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Hi vaalea
I'm in Ottawa with you, we have e-mailed about veg*n products but I haven't made it out to any of the meetups.