PDA

View Full Version : Best Taco in the World (Chico, CA)

Emiloid
04-06-2004, 01:44 PM
My favorite taco truck is back! For these not in the know, they sell a veggie taco for $2 that makes a perfectly filling lunch or dinner.... and it's vegan! The taco includes refried beans, Mexican-style rice, zucchini, cauliflower, tomatoes, broccoli, onions, cilantro, and a yummy hot or mild salsa. The truck can be found at 11th and Park in Chico. Go there now!

Oh yeah, the veggie taco is not listed on the menu. It's a secret. The veggie burrito ($3.75) is also good (and HUGE), but you have to ask for no cheese or sour cream if you want it veganized.

This truck, Tacos el Michoacano, is one of the reasons I moved back to Chico. No kidding.

jenzie
04-06-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm so jealous. Man... *drools*

jenzie
04-06-2004, 05:19 PM
P.S. Did you ever get the chance to visit Gordito's when you lived up here Em?

Dandelion
04-06-2004, 05:37 PM
oh sure NOW they're back after i leave!
:brokenheart:

Emiloid
04-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by jenzie
P.S. Did you ever get the chance to visit Gordito's when you lived up here Em?

Yeah, but I didn't like it. A shame... I'd heard such great things about it.

Emiloid
04-07-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Dandelion
oh sure NOW they're back after i leave!
:brokenheart:

It's OK, I'll FedEx one to you.

jenzie
04-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Emiloid
Yeah, but I didn't like it. A shame... I'd heard such great things about it.

Yeah, on my first visit I didn't like it either... but then I went back... and wow! Now I know what all the fuss is about! ;)

xtensive
04-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Used to love Gordito's myself. Huge, let me repeat HUGE servings on the cheap. Then one day I actually looked behind the counter at the grill.

Haven't been back... *sigh*.

'Twas one of those, "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" moments.

regards
mx.

grog
04-16-2004, 06:19 PM
I finally tried "Tacos el Michoacano", a name which challenges even my "4 years of high school spanish with a C average" tongue. It was very good. I got the burritto, since I'm twice Emiloids size. $3.75 Big and filling. Came with a slice of watermellon and a jalapeno. Came "wet" with both red and green salsas on the top(split 50 50), along with sauteed onions,tomatoes, cauliflower, and zuchinnis. Similar fare on the inside, along with lard-free beans and tasty rice. Its pretty darn cheap and good. I'm going to add it to my "rotation" since otherwise I have to drive across town for mexican.

grog
10-11-2005, 11:20 PM
RIP BTTITW

walrus
10-11-2005, 11:29 PM
I finally tried "Tacos el Michoacano", a name which challenges even my "4 years of high school spanish with a C average" tongue. It was very good. I got the burritto, since I'm twice Emiloids size. $3.75 Big and filling. Came with a slice of watermellon and a jalapeno. Came "wet" with both red and green salsas on the top(split 50 50), along with sauteed onions,tomatoes, cauliflower, and zuchinnis. Similar fare on the inside, along with lard-free beans and tasty rice. Its pretty darn cheap and good. I'm going to add it to my "rotation" since otherwise I have to drive across town for mexican.
Where might this cheap but satisfying burrito be found?

Emiloid
10-11-2005, 11:39 PM
They're gone. :( I seriously almost cried when I found out they weren't there anymore. Actually, the truck itself is still there, but it is under new management. I tried a veggie burrito from the new menu several months ago and was not impressed. However, I've heard that after a rocky start, they began serving veggie tacos that are a lot like the old "Tacos el Michoacano" version... but I haven't confirmed this. They are located at Park and E. 11th or E. 12th St, across E. 12th St (or 11th??) from the Union 76 gas station.

walrus
10-11-2005, 11:41 PM
They're gone. :( I seriously almost cried when I found out they weren't there anymore. Actually, the truck itself is still there, but it is under new management. I tried a veggie burrito from the new menu several months ago and was not impressed. However, I've heard that after a rocky start, they began serving veggie tacos that are a lot like the old "Tacos el Michoacano" version... but I haven't confirmed this. They are located at Park and E. 11th or E. 12th St, across E. 12th St from the Union 76 gas station.
Crap. I read grog's burrito post as a recent one. Hey, that location is pretty close to me. Sweet! I might have to check it out and report back. I can even ride my bike there!

grog
10-12-2005, 12:05 AM
However, I've heard that after a rocky start, they began serving veggie tacos that are a lot like the old "Tacos el Michoacano" version... but I haven't confirmed this.

What ?!?! That merits confirmation. Is your source "reliable"? And not code named "curveball"?

Emiloid
10-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Uh... my source is code-named "Hippo". I haven't checked it out because it makes me sad to even look at the place. I was attached to the people who ran the place almost as much as I was attached to the yummy food they made.

9nines
10-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Warning, much restaurant Mexican food contains lard and animal stock sauces. Refried beans, Spanish rice, tortillas etc. will usually have lard in them.

I live in Houston, which has a lot of Mexican restaurants. I have talked with managers in most of the restaurants, with the mangers that lard is in those items. After talking with four or five chains, I just gave up the idea of eating Mexican food in restaurants.

grog
10-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Warning, much restaurant Mexican food contains lard and animal stock sauces. Refried beans, Spanish rice, tortillas etc. will usually have lard in them.

I live in Houston, which has a lot of Mexican restaurants. I have talked with managers in most of the restaurants, with the mangers that lard is in those items. After talking with four or five chains, I just gave up the idea of eating Mexican food in restaurants.

Thanks. We're well aware of that. Its not as prevalent here in California. And we ask the cooks several times about the beans and rice.