PDA

View Full Version : The rise and fall and rise of Flibberty-Gibbet

Flibberty-Gibbet
03-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Hey there to everyone. I just registered yesterday, so here's my vegan story. It's a bit of a rocky one (with a period of back-sliding) so I hope no one wants to beat me up after I tell it :).

I became a vegetarian about seven years ago thanks to the influence of a vegan boyfriend. It wasn't much of a stretch, though, I'd never eaten too much meat and wasn't a huge fan of it anyway. The ethics of avoiding flesh are impossible to dispute.

Ex-boy and I moved in together one year after I went vegetarian. It wasn't a huge stretch to become vegan from there. He was a good cook and taught me all he knew. A friend of ours from Mexico City taught me how to make excellent Mex-vegan dishes and random women at Indian markets helped in that department, too.

After three years as a vegan I lost my head a bit and slowly slipped back in to a lacto-ovo diet (esoteric personal reasons). It shames me now to think of that thoughtless time, but it happened and it happens, so there ya go.

Well, I pulled myself together about a year ago after quite a bit of soul searching. I'd always felt guilty about slipping back, and I knew that I needed to make things right and get back to veganism. So I did, and I'm here to stay for the long haul.

I got married about a year ago and although my husband isn't a vegetarian, he's headed in that direction. My family (parents) have never been anything but supportive, and co-workers slowly but surely are falling under my nefarious vegan influence :).

Sorry for the length of the post, but I'm wordy like that.

mountainvegan
03-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Glad to hear you're back! Welcome. :)

Adams
03-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Welcome Flibberty! Good luck with the husband and the co-workers! ;) ;)

jenzie
03-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Welcome to VRF! :D