PDA

View Full Version : What do people usually say to you?

San
03-04-2003, 11:05 AM
What do people usually say to you when you tell them you're a vegan?

I most often get either...

1.) "What's that?"

2.) People often try to impress me by telling me what animal products they don't use. "Oh, I haven't eaten red meat in five years." "I stopped eating land animals." Is it a guilt thing, or are they seeking approval?

3.) Occasionally they'll start giving me health advice, say they wish they could do that, or make fun of me or blurt out some misinformed remark about animals not having rights.

How about you?

Beanqueen
03-04-2003, 11:09 AM
People say "Oh... right.." and then I sit... and wait... for the torrent of stupidities (in most cases, not all!) that come out of their mouths.Such as .. 'but cows would explode if we didn't milk them' and sadly they often mean male as well as female cows. Jeez.

(Sorry, I'm normally much more charitable - I'm having an aggressive day!)

jenbizagogo
03-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Usually when I tell someone I'm a vegan, the person gets this glazed over look like they're either trying really hard to figure out what that is, or they're thinking of some snappy comeback. But most commonly, they other person will say "well, you can still eat cheese though, right?" or list of a torrent of other ingredients...trying to figure out what constitutes vegan.

Also, when I got to restaurants, I've been surprised the by the number of people working at them actually are aware of and know what the word vegan is. Of course I will usually clarify for them anyway just to make sure!

Yes, for some reason, too...I do get people listing off the animal products they don't eat when I tell them I'm a vegan. What's up with that? I think you're probably right though...they're either seeking approval or trying to find something to relate to you on. It is a strange phenomenon!

shedonteatmeat
03-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by San

2.) People often try to impress me by telling me what animal products they don't use. "Oh, I haven't eaten red meat in five years." "I stopped eating land animals." Is it a guilt thing, or are they seeking approval?

This one just bewilders me. I almost always get.. "well I don't eat much meat myself..." then they proceed to make all kinds of ridiculous excuses as to why they eat whatever they eat, then they end up spewing out all the kinds of meats that they love and how "tasty" they are...blah blah blah. Usually makes me want to scream and scream. But I try to keep my mouth closed and nod appropriatly and give no response whatsoever to the meat-is-yummy comments, lest I go into an all out rage. LOL.

My grandmother still, about 2 years later, feels the need to go through this every single time I see her (about once a week, sometimes more). When I don't quickly run and hide, she'll go into her "I'm not a big eater" speech---which I guess means that vegans don't like people to eat, period. And sometimes I'll try my damnedest to educate her, explaining factory farming, health issues, anything. ... and she'll just agree and agree how horrible it is. Then leave and go to McDonalds. Which she eats daily, as their chicken nuggets make her world go 'round apparently. agh.

Obviously this drives me nuts. LOL! Sorry 'bout the rant! ;)

shedonteatmeat
03-04-2003, 12:39 PM
oh sheesh. one more thing...

I get this one insane response frequently...

"Wow, if we keep discussing this I'll end up Vegan too!" with a mixture of enthusiasm, bewilderment and disgust. Never sounds outright annoyed or anything. Confuses me greatly. Do they want me to keep answering their questions? Or shut up? ...Or just give up and tell them I was just kidding? :)

San
03-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by shedonteatmeat
This one just bewilders me. I almost always get.. "well I don't eat much meat myself..." then they proceed to make all kinds of ridiculous excuses as to why they eat whatever they eat, then they end up spewing out all the kinds of meats that they love and how "tasty" they are...blah blah blah. Usually makes me want to scream and scream. But I try to keep my mouth closed and nod appropriatly and give no response whatsoever to the meat-is-yummy comments, lest I go into an all out rage. LOL.

That reminds me of something else people will say. If they personally don't avoid a certain animal product, they'll list all the vegetarians and exvegetarians they know. They're probably just trying to relate to me.

BTW, my photography teacher made a bet with me that I won't still be a vegan in three months. I told him I am going to be one for the rest of my life.

erasmus
03-04-2003, 03:17 PM
I get one or more of the following:

I've considered going vegetarian but I could never give up cheese! mmmmmm..... (blech!:sick)
No wonder you're so skinny, you don't eat anything with substance! (I've actually gained weight since becoming vegan, so this is bogus:p)
What's wrong with dairy products? The cows need to be milked! ( :brood: )

icebear
03-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Must be the ppl here in NZ but we get called freaks all the time....oh and we get the bewildered....but you eat fish...right?....no you can eat fish.... cant you?......hahahaha
and the one that makes me laugh....What! you eat no dairy, not cheese, not eggs!!! I can see how you could confuse a chicken with a cow.

shedonteatmeat
03-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by San
That reminds me of something else people will say. If they personally don't avoid a certain animal product, they'll list all the vegetarians and exvegetarians they know. They're probably just trying to relate to me.

BTW, my photography teacher made a bet with me that I won't still be a vegan in three months. I told him I am going to be one for the rest of my life.

Oh yes! I get this too! They look sort of blank for a minute, then quickly spout off.. "Well my neighbors son-in-law is a vegetarian too! And so is the nice boy who bagged my groceries!" And then proudly grin like they solved the puzzle. :rolleyes: :D

shedonteatmeat
03-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by erasmus
I get one or more of the following:

I've considered going vegetarian but I could never give up cheese! mmmmmm..... (blech!:sick)

ack! This one too! Either cheese, chicken or seafood.

misanthropy
03-04-2003, 07:45 PM
No wonder you're so skinny, you don't eat anything with substance! (I've actually gained weight since becoming vegan, so this is bogus:p)Oh, I get that one too! And I have also GAINED weight since becoming vegan!

-- Ida :)

icebear
03-04-2003, 07:51 PM
ive gained weight too...like i needed the extra weight....and i was expecting to lose weight, i guess ill have to try another diet...the vegan diets not working for me...maybe ill try that one where you just eat fat...dead animal fat

karabear
03-04-2003, 08:53 PM
responses i get:
1. confusion
2. people trying to not make themselves look bad (the i don't eat much meat thing)
3. do you eat this, do you eat that, blah blah
4. the cows need to be milked (has no one heard of a calf before? do humans need to be milked? what the hell did cows do before we started domesticating them?)
5. the one i hate the most is "wow, i could never do that!" (sometimes includes excuse as to why they could never do it, cheese being the most common. why someone would tell a person who has been "doing that" for 7 years that they were incapable of being vegan is beyond me. am i supposed to be some amazing master of willpower or something?)

iamtheqbu
03-04-2003, 09:22 PM
The funny thing is that the stupid things that people say to me are very similar to the stupid things I said to my sister before I decided to educate myself.:laugh:
That realization alone keeps me from getting angry most of the time, but there are some people that I come across who are just begging for me to open up a can of vegan whoop @$$ ;)

Lacykitten
03-05-2003, 07:52 AM
I haven't actually gotten a lot of strange responses from most people.

Lots ask what I do eat, or list things to see if I eat them, but I mostly think of that as them trying to clarify what exactly this unknown term is to them. If they're unfamiliar with what vegans are, beyond "some sort of vegetarian" it makes sense. So that doesn't get to me much.

Some also mention friends, neighbours, family members who are or were veg. I also think that this is trying to relate it to someone you already know. People do it with a lot of things. I mean it's not as if we'd know all the vegs out there, but.. *laugh* it's trying.

I do get a lot of the "I wish I could become vegetarian/vegan but I just like <insert ingredient here> too much." If it's meat, you're sort of out.. but if it's something like cheese or ice cream I always like the suggestion of giving up everything BUT what you couldn't live without. If you just eat meat and dairy and everything but cheese just because it's there - give all that up, just keep the cheese.. and try non-dairy cheeses. Unfortunately for me, most of the people I know, it's meat they like. (Then again, I always liked meat more than cheese or dairy or eggs or anything... but I always liked animals MORE than taste.. *g*)

I don't think it's a matter of willpower to go vegan, so much as really caring about the reason you go. Be it the animals, the environment, or your health.. You need to have that reason to go vegan, or else I can totally see it being really hard. For me, I do NOT want to cause suffering, cause as little as I can possibly cause, so it's easy for me to be vegan. My friend Colleen wanted to prove to herself she could do it, and now she feels so much better and so has decided to stick with it indeterminately - but she has REASON, so it's not hard for her. If someone doesn't really care overly much about the animals or environment, and they feel healthy as is - there's no reason for them to even /try/ it.

As for weight - I lost it! Thank gods. In high school I was 95 lb, lucky to hit 100 lb.. at 5'2".. which was basically a stick figure.. lol.. but after high school I went up to 150 lb.. in a few months.. which was HELL let me tell you. I went vegetarian and lost 12 lb.. not much.. barely noticeable.. but this year between October and December I went down to 125, which is roughly my ideal healthy weight (though I still gotta flatten this darn tummy! hehe!)... which is awesome, everyone was noticing, telling me "That's skinny enough missy! Don't lose any more!" and how great I looked... which does wonders for the ego, lemme tell ya. ;)

My friend Aaron, who is a wrestler, tried a vegan diet for a few months, but gained a LOT of weight on it. He's the kind of guy who pays a lot of attention to diet, so this surprised me. He also didn't feel very healthy on the diet. I'm not sure why this would be... maybe he could not digest only plant material? Colleen was telling me about one of her friends or co-workers, who can NOT digest plant material at all, which is really scary. A vegan diet would actually kill him. I've never heard of such things before. That's scary. I guess he has to take a LOT of supplements and stuff.. what does he use for roughage?

.. anyway, a bit off topic, but.. lol.. it's 5:45 am.. so sue me. ;)

mudy
03-05-2003, 12:50 PM
I WIN! ;)

"..vegan? I'm not even vegan!" :rolleyes:

Halfelf
03-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Most people say to me "I could never do that".
Also, I get this a lot, just from mentioning I'm vegan:

"Well, that's your choice. Don't force it on me."

People are quite defensive here!!! :rolleyes:

Edit: By "here" I meant... where I live. Not this board! :D

Emiloid
03-05-2003, 07:38 PM
I used to think I could never be vegan because I liked sushi, chicken broth, cheese, etc. too much. I always admired vegans and vegetarians, but I thought it involved a lot of willpower. Now I know that (at least in my case), willpower has nothing to do with it. I know enough about the effects of animal products on the environment, human health, and animal welfare (etc.) that eating them isn't even appealing.

As an example, when I see people eating non-vegan cookies, I don't have to control myself in the least--it's as if they're eating booger cookies. It does, however, remind me that maybe I should bake more often.

I think in most cases, non-vegans don't realise that the decision to become vegan is not whimsical. There are solid facts that we vegans are aware of that most people are not. It's sad, but I think many people try not to expose themselves to the reality of the situation so they can continue living and eating as they have been. They don't want to be inconvenienced.

icebear
03-05-2003, 07:53 PM
i think lately ive been getting quite annoyed with people making comments about us being vegan and especially in regards to our 6 year old being vegan (when she is with us, she goes to her dads every 2nd weekend and much to my disgust he insists on feeding her meat, i dont know what to do to make them stop, anyway thats a different story) and to stop from yelling at them i just have to smile sweetly and say nothing...it really is driving me crazy...sometimes i think im going insane

Delirium76
03-05-2003, 09:24 PM
I hate it when someone is eating a big chunk of dead thing and oooing and ahhing about how good it is and how I'm missing out.

Missing out on what exactly? Disease? Murder? Killing the planet?

Or when I bring in soime kind of new food to work, everyone has to look at it, try it or comment on it. I really don't mind letting people try it, because the biggest thing I hear is that vegan food can't be as good as "normal" food and I like breaking that myth, but they say things like "Wow! It doesn't taste bad at all!" or "Hey, this tastes as good as real food!"

When did I start eating bad tasting food or eating imaginary food? :brood:

Leanan
03-06-2003, 01:59 AM
I think I've heard all of those too! Ugh!

I also think that my immediate family is just against me being vegan, or they are jealous, or something, because I haven't had one positive reply from any of them about it. My Mom still doesn't get why I can't eat things with eggs or milk in them. "It doesn't hurt a chicken to lay an egg!" she says, and I get the "Cows need to be milked!" thing too. I tell them that cow's milk is not meant for humans, and that would be like giving a calf human breast milk.

I was out to lunch with 2 friends of mine about 2-3 weeks ago that I used to work with. We went to a place that had lots of buffet tables, luckily they had salad and fruit tables. Well, they asked "So, what do you eat?" I couldn't get past the answer "Vegetables and fruits ..." before they started poking fun at tofu and bean sprouts. It really irritated me, because they have such a narrow mindset on it, and I basically didn't get to answer. Also, they know I'm a picky eater, and when I did get to mention using soy milk, they turned up their noses. I said, "You know I'm picky! If it tasted bad I surely wouldn't eat it!" Man ... :brood:

Delirium76
03-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Come to think of it, I think the thing I hate the most is that any omni can come along and comment all they want on my food. They can say how disgusting it is, how normal people don't eat that...yet if I was to comment on what they are eating, I'm trying to preach to them.

Gah!! :veryangry

Oh, and I have cured anyone of saying soymilk is nasty by making them try chocolate soymilk...I have yet to meet one person who has not liked it.

herbi
03-06-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Emiloid
As an example, when I see people eating non-vegan cookies, I don't have to control myself in the least--it's as if they're eating booger cookies. It does, however, remind me that maybe I should bake more often.

Eeewwwww... LOL!!! :p

I am actually with QBU here-- I used to be the one who thought (and said out loud many times) that I could NEVER give up cheese!!! So if someone says something along those lines to me, I just chuckle and say (or think), "You never know! I used to think that too, but you may surprise yourself one of these days as you change/grow/find out more about this stuff..." Some people find it disconcerting that I seem to be imaginarily turning them into future vegans, but I don't mind and it keeps me from getting (too) irritated. :)

Also, I agree (as usual, except for the Brussels Sprouts Travesty) with Delirium-- chocolate Silk is THE way to get ANYONE to drink soymilk! I got turned onto that delicious goodness even before I went vegan! Mmmm...

LacyKitten-- I find it highly suspect that the guy you knew "couldn't digest plant foods" yet GAINED weight!!! Where was he getting all those calories if he couldn't digest the food? I bet he felt unwell and got fat because he was just eating poorly (ie, nothing but french fries. Sounds heavenly in theory, not such a good idea in practice) not because he was just eating plants.

ajveg
03-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Does any one find that before people even introduce you the first thing they say is she/hes a vegan? whats with that? its as if thats all we are, not a person just a vegan!!:huh:
Oh my names amanda and i'm new here if you haven't already guessed!

icebear
03-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Welcome ajveg....i wonder what it is about cheese...thats makes it so hard to give up...i had the same problem..."yeah im trying to go vegan but i just cant live without my cheese.."

icebear
03-06-2003, 06:51 PM
gotta stop putting all those manky dots in between every sentence....oops

herbi
03-06-2003, 06:53 PM
i wonder what it is about cheese...thats makes it so hard to give up...

(Shhh! I think it's all the crack cocaine...)

icebear
03-06-2003, 06:57 PM
lol

ajveg
03-06-2003, 07:12 PM
is any1 still on this thread hi.......................(more dots):rolleyes:

ajveg
03-06-2003, 07:16 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :loveyou: :banana:

ajveg
03-06-2003, 07:24 PM
okay a bit worried just read lacykittens reply about plant and digestion and well am i at risk i had my appendixs removed about only a matter of months ago, dont you need your appendix to eat all the veg and grass?!!! (well maybe not grass, could some one post something on it soon as i'm really starting to worry!):( :cry: :worried:

iamtheqbu
03-06-2003, 08:07 PM
Ohh! I just read this in Bio! We need our cecum to digest cellulose (bacteria break down plant cell walls into sugars), but the appendix(which happens to be attached to the cecum) is just a useless lump of flesh. It won't bother digestion at all to have it removed. :)

iamtheqbu
03-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Ohh, I bet her friend's inability to digest plant material has something to do with an imbalance between his digestive system and the bacteria it hosts. No animal can digest cellulose, we don't make the right enzymes, but bacteria can. So animals, even carnivores, have a cecum before their large intestine that hosts tons of happy little bacteria. We give them a good home and the bacteria break down cellulose for us. If he has problems digesting cellulose, that's the only place that it happens, so somewhere in there must be the problem. Whew, good thing I know this stuff, I have a test on it tomorrow!:D

icebear
03-06-2003, 08:19 PM
what are you studying?

iamtheqbu
03-06-2003, 09:33 PM
What am I studying? I'm an Art/Bio double major and my test tomorrow is in "Organismal Physiology and Ecology". Is a really booring class, but it's worth it. I gonna be a vet! Whooo weee!:D Wow, this topic SOOOO does not belong in this thread, oh well.

icebear
03-06-2003, 09:36 PM
I wanted to be a vet but i work with lots of vets and i can tell you the job just did not appeal that much to me...too much misery and suffering for myself to handle

herbi
03-10-2003, 01:56 PM
To get this back on topic...

I just remembered some crazy stuff people said to me back when I was a mere vegetarian (hate to think what they'd've said if I'd been vegan!). As part of a discussion of "Animal Liberation" in my grad Ethics seminar (and for the record, I gave it a scathing critique both for a few factual inaccuracies and for the many problems inherent in Utilitarianism, but nobody seemed to notice that), it was revealed that I was an ethical vegetarian. I had kept that in the closet the first couple weeks b/c almost everyone else in the class (limited to Animal Science majors) was some kind of crazy 3rd generation beef rancher or something. Anyway, the two things that still stick in my mind are people blurting out in the middle of a supposedly serious logical calm discussion:

-- So you think I'm going to go to Hell because I ate a ham sandwich?!?!

-- You want to set all the cows free??? That's crazy! Where will they go? etc...

Obviously, I had said no such things! Thankfully the professor was super awesome and he interjected on my behalf to point out that I had said no such thing and that it was way off topic anyway. :rolleyes:

San
03-11-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by herbi
To get this back on topic...

I just remembered some crazy stuff people said to me back when I was a mere vegetarian (hate to think what they'd've said if I'd been vegan!). As part of a discussion of "Animal Liberation" in my grad Ethics seminar (and for the record, I gave it a scathing critique both for a few factual inaccuracies and for the many problems inherent in Utilitarianism, but nobody seemed to notice that), it was revealed that I was an ethical vegetarian. I had kept that in the closet the first couple weeks b/c almost everyone else in the class (limited to Animal Science majors) was some kind of crazy 3rd generation beef rancher or something. Anyway, the two things that still stick in my mind are people blurting out in the middle of a supposedly serious logical calm discussion:

-- So you think I'm going to go to Hell because I ate a ham sandwich?!?!

-- You want to set all the cows free??? That's crazy! Where will they go? etc...

Obviously, I had said no such things! Thankfully the professor was super awesome and he interjected on my behalf to point out that I had said no such thing and that it was way off topic anyway. :rolleyes:

That reminds me of a philosophy class I took when I was in the process of going vegan. I remained in the closet during most the quarter because I was insecure and didn't know my facts, but my teacher would make the occasional comment about how being vegetarian is utilitarian and how crappy cows are treated, but then he'd say stuff like, "But they taste good so nobody really does anything about it." Now I wish I would have spoken up.

Husky Corn Star
03-14-2003, 03:57 AM
I usually get asked, as a vegan do I drink Coffee - WTF ? :huh:

anyway WGAS

shade
03-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Husky Corn Star
I usually get asked, as a vegan do I drink Coffee - WTF ? :huh:

anyway WGAS
I get asked that a lot too! As far as I knew (unless I living under a rock on some distant planet) coffee is made from beans.

herbi
03-14-2003, 06:23 PM
This week I got asked if vegans eat yeast, because isn't yeast alive? The person was asking in a genuinely-seeking-information kind of way though & not a smartass way, so I reminded her that plants are also alive, but they don't have nervous systems or feel pain to the best of my knowledge, and that neither do little single-cell funguses like yeast. Just reminding her it was a fungus was enough, though, as it seemed intuitive that mushrooms were OK. Huh.

mudy
03-15-2003, 01:01 AM
"...but how do you feel about game hunting?"

:D

Emiloid
03-15-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by herbi
This week I got asked if vegans eat yeast, because isn't yeast alive?

That's funny, I used to wonder the same thing. It was kind of a "where do you draw the line" kind of idea. Plus, I didn't know back then that yeast is a type of fungus. Then again, fungi are more closely related to animals than they are to plants... a fact which is interesting (to me anyway), but totally irrelevant!

herbi
03-15-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Emiloid
fungi are more closely related to animals than they are to plants... a fact which is interesting (to me anyway), but totally irrelevant!

It's interesting to me too! :) You know, I had a pet slime mold for a while. Got him (her? it? them?) from my "Magical Mushrooms & Mischievous Molds" course (yeah, it really was as silly and fun as the title makes it seem) and eventually set, uh, "him", free in the woods. I recommend anyone who likes freaky stuff to check out slime molds! :o But you're right, this is 100% completely irrelevant. Oh! I know! I'll make it relevant...
When people find out I'm vegan, they're always asking me if I believe that slime-molds should be kept in captivity... :p

penfold
03-19-2003, 02:53 PM
i looooove slime molds :silly:

what's your favourite life-cycle stage?

hey!! maybe we should have a poll....

1. dispersal phase (small amoeba dudes)
2. slug thing
3. fruiting (sporulating, whatever) body

:p

purplemackerel
03-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Quite a few people have asked if I'm mormon. :huh: I get the yeast thing quite often too.

jenbizagogo
03-22-2003, 09:40 AM
I'm not really sure if this should go here or not, but...

I'm on this email list and this was posted on it today. It's a response letter than someone got back after writing to a company that makes foi gras. She originally wrote to voice her concerns about how cruel the production of foi gras was. This is what she got back:

Thank you for your views. Do you wear leather shoes? I'd be more concerned
at the tragic damage politically correct do-gooders have done to the family
unit, law and order, good manners between the sexes and the promotion of
un-natural sexual activity than I would for some ducks who have been reared
to be culled, like all animals in the food chain. I suspect your ancestors
ate whatever they could get their hands on, like mine.

David George
sales@thefrenchtrading.co.uk

I thought it was amusing how unprofessional the response was AND, I decided to post it here because the first question he ripped off was "Do you wear leather shoes?" Geesh! I get that question a lot from people that don't know me and find out I'm vegan!

misanthropy
03-22-2003, 10:54 AM
What a jerk!

:brood:

Link
03-30-2003, 03:50 PM
anyone who's gained weight what do you eat? I want some weight back.

Adams
08-31-2003, 07:58 AM
It's funny that after 48 posts nobody has posted the question that I always get first: "Why?"

Usually it's more like: "Why? Where your parents vegan, or was it religious, or...." When their voice trails off that's when I drop the bomb and tell them it's because of my ethics or morals or something, and that's when they usually get defensive. ;)

At least my kids will be able to take the easy way out and blame their old man. :D :D

dropscone
08-31-2003, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I get asked "why?" a fair amount. I used to mumble something nonconfrontational, but I've started saying what I actually think:

"I am vegan because I think it is morally wrong to eat a sentient being when I don't need to to survive"

I also get a lot of people assuming that I can't eat root vegetables. This really puzzled me for quite a while, but I think it's because the city I live in is very ethnically diverse and there is a Jain temple here. The Jains don't eat root vegetables because harvesting them destroys the homes of insects and worms and things. They're also not meant to eat eggs.

Having said that my housemate is a Jain and she's just vegetarian. She won't eat eggs on their own but she's quite happy to scoff Quorn, and she says she can't cope without potatoes either.

I've been speaking to a lot of people who are some variation of vegetarian for traditional religious reasons recently, mostly Hindus, and it really seems like they find it more of a drag than people who've chosen to do it after making their own decision. Maybe I'm biased because I'm so totally not religious myself.

enough rambling :)

madpogue
08-31-2003, 10:16 PM
Of course, the woefully-underasked question of omnis, and one that is much more meaningful to ask, is "Why do you eat animals?"

dviolet
08-31-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by jenbizagogo
I'm on this email list and this was posted on it today. It's a response letter than someone got back after writing to a company that makes foi gras. She originally wrote to voice her concerns about how cruel the production of foi gras was. This is

Did this person post the content of his/her letter as well? If so, would you mind sharing?

jenbizagogo
08-31-2003, 11:49 PM
Sorry Dawn, I don't know about that....it was so long ago that I can't remember. I'm thinking probably not though cuz I probably would have posted that, too.

VeganVeronique
09-04-2003, 08:16 AM
- but what about iron? =you get iron from plant too, parsley, lentils etc blah
- but god said to eat meat = god can lick my balls
- but cows need to be milk [my favorite] = cows lactate for thier calfs
- but what about fish, otopus etc = they are not plants

oh my can i stop now? so many uneducated ignorant fools out there!!! :confused:

erasmus
09-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Link
anyone who's gained weight what do you eat? I want some weight back.

I gained around 10-15 in the first few months after going vegan. It's been over a year now and my weight has stabilized at this point. I ate probably 90% potatoes for the first few months. Hash browns fried in olive oil. mmmmmm....

VeganVeronique
09-07-2003, 06:43 AM
...I ate probably 90% potatoes for the first few months. Hash browns fried in olive oil. mmmmmm....

mmmmmmmmmmm:smitten: i love fried potatoe anythings....mmmmm... no wonder why im a tubber....

its_a_gas
09-11-2003, 10:17 AM
I was at a party a few months ago where I was grilled by a woman about my veganism. She was 100% convinced that she was "putting me in my place" by asking me why I didn't use the money and energy that I spend on being vegan towards helping people. Interesting coming from a woman that contributes none of her money or time to helping the less fortunate. I also was amazed at how quickly she placed judgement upon me, seeing as I never said a thing to her about what I do or don't contribute to the welfare of my fellow humans.

I've come to notice that a lot of people have this idea in their heads that if you help animals, you have absolutely no interest in helping your fellow human beings.

shedonteatmeat
09-11-2003, 10:25 AM
The thing that I hear the most, is "I don't know how you do it!"...to which I reply "I couldn't do it any other way". Its crazy how outrageous people think it is to try to NOT inflict cruelty... shouldn't it be the other way around? :rolleyes:

misanthropy
09-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by its_a_gas
I was at a party a few months ago where I was grilled by a woman about my veganism. She was 100% convinced that she was "putting me in my place" by asking me why I didn't use the money and energy that I spend on being vegan towards helping people. Interesting coming from a woman that contributes none of her money or time to helping the less fortunate. I also was amazed at how quickly she placed judgement upon me, seeing as I never said a thing to her about what I do or don't contribute to the welfare of my fellow humans.I've been hassled like that too. I don't ever justify myself or my actions to people who are just being jerks. It's super annoying though!

Adams
09-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by madpogue
Of course, the woefully-underasked question of omnis, and one that is much more meaningful to ask, is "Why do you eat animals?" I've been meaning to do this for a long time, but nobody has bothered me in a while. Just wait... the next chance I get...! :p

Dandelion
09-11-2003, 04:30 PM
cause they taste good.

Of course, the woefully-underasked question of omnis, and one that is much more meaningful to ask, is "Why do you eat animals?"

misanthropy
09-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Dandelion
cause they taste good. But a lot of people refuse to even try faux meats... like not even a small bite!

madpogue
09-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Ah, the old "if it [tastes|feels|looks|sounds] good, do it" philosophy. I recommend picking up the nearest plateful of the slimiest meat products available and smooshing it into the face of anyone who says such a thing. Of course, when asked why you did it, you could answer, "cause it felt good."

Originally posted by Dandelion
cause they taste good.

misanthropy
09-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Of course, when asked why you did it, you could answer, "cause it felt good." :eek: :silly: :laugh: :thumbsup:

sheepguy42
09-21-2003, 07:48 PM
All too often, people I discuss veganism with resort to the "everything in moderation" argument. I recently developed a response to this:
"So how much furniture did you eat with dinner last night? How many bricks did you have for breakfast this morning?"
I then go on to explain that the concept of "everything in moderation" implies "eat anything that is food in moderation," and as far as I'm concerned, animal products are not food. Just because so many people are willing to eat it is not a valid argument. How many children eat dirt? Does that make it food? How many toddlers will attempt to eat almost anything? Meat is not food, it is merely heated carion that people inflict upon their digestive tract for no good reason. Milk is food for baby cows; even adult cows are not supposed to drink it. The material inside an eg was meant to feed a baby chick; just because it wasn't fertilised doesn't mean it shouldn't have been! It is only that way because factory farming mandates it. The list goes on... I'm sure you all understand my point.
BTW, i too am new here, and my name is Ryan. I am attending Penn State, so if any of you are at university Park, please contact me because I am having a difficult time finding fellow vegans.

shedonteatmeat
09-22-2003, 08:38 AM
Welcome sheepguy42! I totally agree with you on all points. Frustrating that everyone can't see it the way we do, though...

A good friend of mine goes to Penn State too :D (she's not vegan though, unfortunetly)

ajveg
09-24-2003, 05:06 AM
whyy dont people is that we dont want put animals first we just want to make them as close to equals as us when it comes to rights, i mean you get people who say who would you put first your mother or your cat (for example) well YOU would put your mother first because of human nature and probably a closer bond and what else pisses me off is hyperphetically speaking what IF...
the likely hood of being on a desert island with only your pet cat and no food is very slim:mad:

actually one thing bothers me... :umm: if my mum had to have a valve transplant and with pioneering technology the only way to save her life would be to give her a pigs valve but that would kill the big i would be all for saving my mum even though the pig has feelings. how do i justifi that feeling. i'm not speaking too hyperthetically as my mum does have angina and although she is fine if (here i go:mad:) this ever happened how would or could i defend my beliefs as a vegan as an animal lover and rights person:confused:

please help some one with this dilema:embarr:

Beanqueen
09-24-2003, 06:07 AM
I don't think you need to justify caring more about your mother who you know and love than an animal whose right to life you respect but who you have no personal feelings for. It would be odd if you cared more about the pig I think. It doesn't mean you want the pig to die. It is a tricky one. I know it would be easier to make the decision for myself than it would be to make it for someone I loved.

One thing you should consider is whether you really want to apply the term 'pioneering technology' to procedures that involve transplanting animal organs into humans. Personally that is not pioneering. It would be pioneering if it was pushing the boundaries of what we understand about human health and treating human illnesses without relying on vivisection. That, to me, is real science.

Sorry to sound picky - I'm not having a go at you, just the phrases that people use.

ajveg
09-24-2003, 06:42 AM
thanks beanqueen, i know what you mean, i haven't actually done much research about visection (i need to) and you are not being picky at all i totally know what you mean. thank you i feel so much better now:)
of course i wouldn't have the same emotional attachment to that animal as i would towards my mother, its just so sad that technology hasn't evolved enough to not have to rely on donors. i believe that one day there will be more man made organs avaliable.

crys
10-06-2003, 03:19 AM
When I buy pre-made products at the store I usually look for vegan ones since they are the closest to my beliefs. I contacted Barbara's Bakery to find out if some of their products were vegan and the reply I received was "I'm not really sure what a vegan is". Then I knew that wasn't where I wanted to get my food from. I also get the common "so-and-so is vegetarian/vegan" or "I don't eat much meat". People also ask me what I eat or why I'm the way I am. I also constantly have people try to tell me why my beliefs are wrong. I just tell them I respect their beliefs and am not criticizing them so they should return the same respect. Usually this makes the person feel quite foolish and they'll end the conversation. I get offered lots of salads too. This is quite funny since I don't really like salad. For some time I had to eat awful salad every week at a restaurant or go hungry. I got so tired of eating lettuce salad that it is pretty much nonexistent in my diet now. Another question I get is "Are your parents or family vegan/vegetarian?" They are always shocked whenever I say "No. Many of them think 'the more meat the better' and love to hunt and fish". I also was amused when people told me my eating beliefs are just a stage. Now people are realizing that it's not a stage. Finally, "No wonder you're so unhealthy!" Then they look like a really big fool when I tell them I had my current health problems before I ever stopped eating meat. It seems that much of what I have been told is similar to other people's experiences. Glad I'm not the only one who receives standard stereotypes. :)

herbi
05-27-2004, 06:59 PM
setting: living room couch, late last evening, talking on the phone

Grandma: How are you?
Me: Oh, I'm OK, I have a little cold...
Grandma: You better take care of yourself, hon'!
Me: (Thinking I'm reassuring her of my health AND of the niceness of The Boy...) I am, Grandma. In fact, Dave just made me some noodle soup! :)
Grandma: What?!?! You can't eat noodle soup!
Me: (Chuckling confusedly because I am in fact eating it right that moment...) eh??? why not???
Grandma: (as if this is so obvious she can't believe she has to tell me) Noodles have EGGS in them.
Me: *sigh* Not all noodles, Grandma... :rolleyes:
(Decide not to even try to explain the exotic Rice Noodle (or to be specific, "Rice Stick - Flakes Size" -- heehee! :)) that I'm eating...)
Grandma: Oh. *pause* Well... doesn't the broth have chicken in it?
Me: *sigh again* NO, it doesn't, it's made out of vegetables and herbs and stuff.
(Decide not to even try to explain Miso...)
Grandma: oh, I see. Vegetable Broth. Well, you get better dear...
(Pictures some sort of unappetizing cabbage-water that would be disgusting if it weren't so bland, with pathetic wannabe noodles floating limply in it...)
Me: OK, thanks Grandma...
(Takes another bite of warm rich soup with spicy chili and garlic...)

:rolleyes: Ahhh, relatives...

(I know this doesn't count as something people "USUALLY" say to you, but... well, actually, it almost DOES! :p And anyway, didn't think I needed a whole new thread...)

Stitches
05-28-2004, 03:58 AM
I've noticed younger people here in CA pretty much just say "Really?" and then nod like they get it and it's not really mentioned again (unless the subject of food comes up), whereas older adults make inane jokes and ask stupid questions. I don't ordinarily mention it to people who don't know me well.

Oddly enough, on several occasions people who don't know me all that well (college professors, people in bars, etc.) will ask me out of the blue if I'm a vegetarian (and some have even asked me if I'm vegan - well at least they know what that means!). How the heck do they know?!

zatoichi
05-30-2004, 01:06 AM
i find that a lot of people ask a few silly questions maybe but usually try to keep close-mouthed for fear of offending me somehow. like it's a religious conviction that is off-limits to debate. i wish that if people had concerns or objections, they'd voice them.

Artichoke47
05-30-2004, 09:12 PM
I think people mostly get quiet and hope I don't say any more about the subject. I usually don't, unless they ask questions or try to argue with me.

The favorite omnivore phrase I've heard is "God gave us dominion over animals," to which I reply, "That does not equal the right to kill."

I still have the most ignorant omnivores who try to lecture me about getting enough protein, the same omnivores who have no idea that bread and other grain products have protein in them.

theDuckThatWasnt
06-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Like Herbi, I had an odd discussion with my grandmother in regards to vegetarianism!

My grandmother is a very intelligent, loving woman who also happens to be incredibly cantankerous and argumentative. Though my husband and I have been vegetarians since last September, she hasn't heard a thing about it. And with good reason, really. When we all went to the zoo 7 years ago, she informed me that animals were placed on the planet by God, for human use. The argument that this little comment began was cut short only by my parents, who were well aware that I wouldn't end it myself. Phew.

Anyway, we were talking on the phone tonight and she mentioned making me "meat and potatoes". I told her that we don't eat meat.

Good ol'Grandma: Whaddya eat then, fish?

Me: No, fish is meat.

Grandma: Chicken?

Me: Heh. No, chicken is meat too.

Grandma: No it isn't. Chicken is chicken, fish is fish, and meat is cow.

Me: No, it--all right, fine then. We don't eat animals. How's that?

Grandma: Eh.

Leave it to grandparents to clear it all up for you. Oi. :rolleyes:

By the way, I'm not going to bother bringing up our new veganism unless I have to. I'm allergic to dairy and eggs anyway, so hopefully it won't come up.

walrus
11-18-2004, 12:20 AM
I don't know if this is the appropriate spot to start this thread, so if it's not, please feel free to move it around.

Okay, I was thinking that it would be really cool to get some practice as far as answering questions we get from omni's about our diet. Typical questions such as, "Where do you get your protein?" or "Aren't you worried about vitamin intake?"

I thought we could pose one of those FAQ's here, and we could all respond with the different ways we answer those different questions. I think it would be most helpful if, when replying to a particular question, you "quote" it so that everyone knows what you're answering. Does this make sense so far?

I thought I'd start off with that very first question, "Where do you get your protein?" Since it seems to be the most frequently asked one. I'm going to go ahead and put my balls to the wall so to speak and answer it how I normally answer it:

"I usually get my protein from different types of vegetables and beans, and even from things like peanut butter. You'd be amazed at where you can find protein."

So, how would you all answer that very question?

Do you have any other questions you'd like to pose? Feel free! I think it would be helpful to those of us who are not so eloquent!

Emiloid
11-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Hey walrus! I like your answer about protein--accurate and to the point. :)

Here's another one: "Where do you get your calcium?"
My answer: "I get calcium from veggies (especially leafy greens), tofu, beans, soy milk, OJ, and the occasional supplement."

Here's one of my favorites: "How do you throw such small pots?"
A: "I'm vegan." (Accompanied by a huge grin.) Yeha, it's a non-sequiter, but it gets them thinking! And it deflects questions you can't answer easily anyway.

OK, the pottery thing probably doesn't apply to many others here... but you can use it as an answer to almost any question about why/how you're unique or talented. For example, "How did you get so tall?", "How did you learn to be so well organized?", or "You're so customer-oriented. What's your secret?" "How did you get so good at playing the piano?"
Answer to all: "I'm vegan." :D

A more relevant question I get is, "What do you eat?!?"
I usually say something like, "I eat all kinds of things... pasta, pizza, stir-fry, sandwiches, soups, chili, salad, french fires, tofu jerky, cereal, quiche, veggie burgers... hmmm... what don't I eat?!?" I always leave out a lot of the list, but I think they get the point. :cool:

Emiloid
11-18-2004, 01:00 AM
OK, I looked through the forum and found all these old threads that are always relevant and could be revived:

Where do you get your calcium? (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=92)
Where do you get protein? (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=91)
What do you eat? (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=255)
Why are you vegan? (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=3073)

And a semi-silly one:
What about all the animals killed in harvesting crops? (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?t=274)

walrus
11-19-2004, 02:26 AM
Hey cool! Thanks for the great links! I think that's actually what I was looking for!

Emiloid
08-11-2005, 02:38 PM
I hung out with an old high-school friend last weekend who was like a walking, talking omni stereotype, a fountain of questions and comments like the ones in this thread. It's like she read a manual or something.

"You're vegan for health, right?"
"But aren't your shoes leather?"
"This has chocolate in it, so I guess you can't eat it."
"I could never give up cheese...."
"I don't eat much [meat, cheese, etc.] anyway."
"Well, I don't eat mammals."
"I only buy organic milk."

I think there were more, too. She's also ultra-concerned about using oils in cooking--she avoids them at all cost. However, she doesn't seem to have a problem with animal fat, from poultry, fish, eggs... and especially milk/cheese. *sigh* Strangely enough, in law school she was (voluntarily) involved with some kind of animal welfare legal project, so it seems extra weird to me that she's not more informed.

Kat
08-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Recently my older sister told her friend that I'm a vegan, and he looked at me, and, in all seriousness, asked; "that's like a cult, right? and you wear a lot of black?"

I was taken aback, but as the conversation progressed, it turned out that he had confused "vegan" with "wiccan". He had some misconceptions about both so I set him straight.

iamtheqbu
08-11-2005, 08:54 PM
OMG, that's funny. That reminds me of a conversation I had with my sister about vegans when I still ate meat and she was only 'mostly' veggie. It was only about a month before I became vegan, but it's a little fuzzy. I remember saying how it was crazy and they can't be healthy and I could maybe understand veggie, but vegan? That's madness. Anyway, the amusing part is that I had it confused with wicca too, thought it was a religious sort of thing, and kept pronouncing it 'vaygan' like pagan. I was weird then :happy:

shedonteatmeat
08-11-2005, 09:10 PM
I remember saying how it was crazy and they can't be healthy and I could maybe understand veggie, but vegan? That's madness.

omigosh. I said the exact same thing when I decided to be officially vegetarian (i had been through lots of long spells of "not eating that" but had never considered making it official until then). A friend and I did it together, while her husband was deployed in Iraq, I made a huge stink about never, ever being one of those tree-huggin' vegan freaks. Couldn't live without ice cream, etc blah blah. And now I'm thrilled to be a tree-huggin' vegan freak! Yay for freaks! :p

Seeing this thread made me realize that it's been a really, really long time since I've had any kind of negative comments about my being vegan. Some dumb questions and the splattering of "I hardly ever eat meat, anyway!" remarks, but nothing that's gotten to me. Could just be that I'm in a better state of mind though, and am giving off a better vibe :kiss:

garn
08-11-2005, 11:13 PM
The "I could never do that" annoys me cause I really don't know how to respond. Are they asking me to give them permission not to try? are they just clarifying so I don't get any wacky ideas and try to convert them?

Once in a while I get someone who is intrigued by it, and starts asking tons of questions to try to understand better. That is always fun :). Especially if then they make their own effort towards veg*nism.

bird
08-11-2005, 11:17 PM
The "I could never do that" annoys me cause I really don't know how to respond. Are they asking me to give them permission not to try? are they just clarifying so I don't get any wacky ideas and try to convert them?To that I say, "I never thought I would have, either, but I did, and I've never been happier." It's true for me. :)

KKB
08-12-2005, 01:17 AM
To that I say, "I never thought I would have, either, but I did, and I've never been happier." It's true for me. :)
everyone says to me (especially the lacto-ovos) "oh, well I could NEVER give up cheese." i get that from almost everyone who has claimed to consider a vegan diet. What's so great about cheese? I mean, really. :rolleyes:
a friend was cooking rice as a side dish and told me she'd leave out the chicken broth so that i could eat it as well... right after i watched her dump a glob of butter into the saucepan. she meant well though. what got to me though, was after i pointed out her mistake, she was so upset: "well can't you just eat it, just this once??" whatev.

jenzie
08-12-2005, 03:33 AM
To that I say, "I never thought I would have, either, but I did, and I've never been happier." It's true for me. :)

Ditto. I honestly didn't think I'd ever give up cheese or ice cream. Sometimes I surprise myself. ;) :)

Kat
08-12-2005, 09:55 AM
I haven't given up ice cream OR cheese.

I simply switched to soy :)

Dandelion
08-12-2005, 10:07 AM
yes i think this is a great way to spin that train around. Identifying with the person and responding in a personal way is good to get them to listen to you. it dissolves the lines between us and we're sharing an experience. i'm like you, you're like me.
Usually i say something along the lines:
"i know! right! my dad's from the wisconsin, we're a big buncha cheese heads. i ate cheese alll the time but here i am 6 years without cheese still alive and healthier than ever too. i've found some great alternatives that taste just as great blah blah..."
If it's about giving up meat i usually regale them with stories about how much meat i ate, at least two burgers a day for YEARS, and my friends still joke about it.
it takes them off the defensive focusing on my actions and they may think, hey i can do that too, or maybe, 'damn my diet's not that bad...but...'
;)

Dandelion
08-12-2005, 10:08 AM
I haven't given up ice cream OR cheese.

I simply switched to soy :)
oh that's a good one!

Dandelion
08-12-2005, 10:09 AM
i think it's also important not to focus on the negative 'giving up' but more on the positive 'what you gain'

MissLovely
08-12-2005, 12:15 PM
I got, "Oh I could NEVER do that, my body needs protein."
Which of course I just nodded and smiled. I suppose I should have told her I average 56 to 60 grams a day, and US RDA is 44 for women (or there abouts) but I can never think of a come back in time :( It is weird how people make up an excuse, because they know THEY'RE WRONG! :)

bird
08-12-2005, 12:21 PM
I got, "Oh I could NEVER do that, my body needs protein."
Which of course I just nodded and smiled. I suppose I should have told her I average 56 to 60 grams a day, and US RDA is 44 for women (or there abouts) but I can never think of a come back in time :( It is weird how people make up an excuse, because they know THEY'RE WRONG! :)Well, some people do have it in their subconscious awareness that they are wrong. But there are also plenty of people who really believe that they are right, or just don't know very much about the issue at all. That's why I think your idea about telling someone the actual number of grams you average (versus the RDA) is a good one. :)

kikkert
08-12-2005, 12:47 PM
When I first went vegan I was a bit of a vegangelist (great term) because I was in a state of shock for a while. Everything meat and dairy related grossed me out and my family – who thought I was nuts and would die without at least dairy – and friends took the brunt of my outrage.

Now though I have to say that most new people I voluntarily meet know what veganism is or they are vegetarian or vegan, or know someone who is vegan. I usually get comments about the great smell and taste of my food, or that it’s such a cool thing to do. Around here, unworldly or closed minded people are usually the only ones who say asinine things like “oooh, I could never do that, wow you have great will power, not even (FITB)?!?” I know a few former vegans too and their excuses sound similar, with the addition of “it was too hard” and the like.

When people start listing off their favorite animal products or say they can’t live without milk I usually say that I really am not interested in hearing what they have to say. Or I say they don’t need to rationalize anything; I’m not out to convert them. So just to be left alone, unless a work or social function involves food I try to keep my dietary and lifestyle choices to myself.

MissLovely
08-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Well, some people do have it in their subconscious awareness that they are wrong. But there are also plenty of people who really believe that they are right, or just don't know very much about the issue at all. That's why I think your idea about telling someone the actual number of grams you average (versus the RDA) is a good one. :)
Aw, I was just kidding. You're right though, next time I'll remember to have a come back. :) It's just remembering to have my fact artillery ready;). Stupid grocery cashiers and they're stupid insults..mutter...mutter...

bird
08-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Stupid grocery cashiers and they're stupid insults..mutter...mutter...Yeah, but going too (http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/showpost.php?p=81346&postcount=27) much (http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/showpost.php?p=81431&postcount=34) in the other direction is no good, either. :p

MissLovely
08-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Yeah, but going too (http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/showpost.php?p=81346&postcount=27) much (http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/showpost.php?p=81431&postcount=34) in the other direction is no good, either. :p
LOL:D .
I know I'm just a curiosity in my neighborhood, I actually think the cashiers are sweet at the store closest to me . I've befriended one of them, and I think I could convince her to go vegetarian at least.
;)

bird
08-12-2005, 02:43 PM
That's great, MissLovely! Have you broached the topic with her already?

MissLovely
08-12-2005, 02:57 PM
That's great, MissLovely! Have you broached the topic with her already?
I have, plus she sees what I buy there. I have her phone number, I'm going to try cooking for her.

Dandelion
08-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Yeah, but going too (http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/showpost.php?p=81346&postcount=27) much (http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/showpost.php?p=81431&postcount=34) in the other direction is no good, either. :p
teehee :p

bird
08-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I have, plus she sees what I buy there. I have her phone number, I'm going to try cooking for her.That should do it! Let us know how it goes! :silly:

EvesChild
02-13-2007, 11:33 PM
I always always alway always get asked (after I explain what a vegan is) what DO you eat?!?!?!?! And then I tell them. And they look at me like I'm a leper.

I also get a whole lot of "Go to hell, you don't even know what happens at those places [factory farms]" to which I respond "how do you know what happens? "well, uh, HOW DO YOU KNOW" (research. It's elementary, my dear Watson.)

And of course "mmm, this pig is delicious (*shoves meat into my face*) smelll it

vegankitty
02-14-2007, 11:07 PM
I always thought I couldn't give up dairy , so I understand that.When I first became exposed to veganism , (20 tears ago) , there were not so many good dairy substitutes. (Except for Westsoy , no choc soymilk , only carob) plus yucky fake ice cream.Now there are so many good subs!I'm lucky , iI live in an area that is very vegan friendly and most people I meet don't question me.I meet a lot of animal welfare people and I think I make them feel bad.
I read on one post how someone gets asked if they are a veg.I get this to.I'm kind of punk w/piercings and tats so I guess being veg goes with this?

michiganveganchick
02-14-2007, 11:10 PM
And of course "mmm, this pig is delicious (*shoves meat into my face*) smelll it

jackass.

Earth child
02-14-2007, 11:14 PM

Usually one/some/all of the following:

- Is that like a vegetarian? What is it?
- Is that hard?
- Oh, well you don't look like a vegan.
- *silence*

krista82
02-15-2007, 12:59 AM
When people find out I am a vegan, the #1 response I get is: I like meat too much to give it up. Why do people feel the need to tell me that?

I was out to dinner with my parents once and waiter figured out I was a vegetarian from what I was eating. My mom told him I was a vegan and he asked what it was, so I told him. Then he asked me if I ate seafood haha. Cause yeah, I don't eat meat, eggs or dairy, but I will eat seafood.

Earth child
02-15-2007, 10:37 AM
marine life

Chijou_no_seiza
02-15-2007, 10:41 AM
marine life

:yes:

We can't make a good argument if we call it "seafood" now can we! :) Sea animals, sea creatures, marine life, all much more accurate, and pro-vegan words. Will probably put you at an advantage if you rephrase the diction you use in a conversation :D

atouria
02-15-2007, 10:53 AM
We can't make a good argument if we call it "seafood" now can we! :) Sea animals, sea creatures, marine life, all much more accurate, and pro-vegan words. Will probably put you at an advantage if you rephrase the diction you use in a conversation :D

BRILLIANT, Chijou and Earth Child. I've never thought of that!

VegeTexan
02-15-2007, 04:55 PM
them- "Do you eat seafood?"
me- "Yes, I eat dulce, nori, kombu, wakame."

Earth child
02-15-2007, 06:05 PM
them- "Do you eat seafood?"
me- "Yes, I eat dulce, nori, kombu, wakame."

Precisely. :)

BRILLIANT, Chijou and Earth Child. I've never thought of that!

:yes: Using the word "seafood" perpetuates the idea that sea animals are appropriate food choices.

krista82
02-15-2007, 10:33 PM
:yes:

He's the one that called it seafood, not me. :laugh: But calling it marine life is a better idea, we don't consider the creatures of the sea to be food, so calling it seafood doesn't make much sense.

boko maru
02-16-2007, 12:29 AM
I've gotten most of these, as well, unfortunately. :rolleyes:
But I think the worst/funniest comment ever was something along the lines of: "You're being selfish because so many people on this world are starving and you have all this luxury and you arent taking advantage of it."
I had mentioned how we should eat (and share with those countries less fortunate) the grain instead of feeding it to the cow, and that was his response.
I ended up laughing and offending him by doing so but seriously, I was amazed by the ignorance/"ME ME ME!" attitude. Luckily, it was a friend so I didn't give some random individual a bad representation of how "all vegans are."

Commonly: I get a lot of people telling me that by majoring in nutrition I'm a living contradiction because my diet "can't be healthy."

haha In relation to the pet peeve thread, the response "I could go veg*an but I love ___ too much." Is one of mine. Maybe that's common, too. ;)

sane-ax_addict
02-16-2007, 02:30 AM
When people find out I am a vegan, the #1 response I get is: I like meat too much to give it up. Why do people feel the need to tell me that?

I was out to dinner with my parents once and waiter figured out I was a vegetarian from what I was eating. My mom told him I was a vegan and he asked what it was, so I told him. Then he asked me if I ate seafood haha. Cause yeah, I don't eat meat, eggs or dairy, but I will eat seafood.

i've had several experiences similar to this. i'll explain to them that i use no animal products, including eggs, cheese, etc. and they will promptly ask me "but you eat meat right?"

now looking at it, this post may belong in the WTF thread lol

Emiloid
02-16-2007, 12:07 PM
But I think the worst/funniest comment ever was something along the lines of: "You're being selfish because so many people on this world are starving and you have all this luxury and you arent taking advantage of it."
I had mentioned how we should eat (and share with those countries less fortunate) the grain instead of feeding it to the cow, and that was his response.
I ended up laughing and offending him by doing so but seriously, I was amazed by the ignorance/"ME ME ME!" attitude. Luckily, it was a friend so I didn't give some random individual a bad representation of how "all vegans are."

Yeah, you're so selfish for deciding to be unselfish! I can't believe you.... :p

pink.apple
02-16-2007, 01:49 PM

How about you?

I've got:

"Vegan? I used to be vegan but found it too difficult."

OR

"What on earth do you eat????" :o

OR

"I don't think being vegan is healthy...I think a human needs milk to survive. I would'nt advice a vegan diet. I think you should stop being vegan you'll probably die" (Or something like that, this was from an old man who'd never known anything about nutrition!)

OR

"I could never be vegan...I love (add non vegan thing here) far too much!!"

sane-ax_addict
02-16-2007, 02:16 PM
i don't actually get it too often (thank god) but the one i hate the most begins essentially just like most of these:

"what do you eat?"
"why?"
"milking the cows doesn't kill them, ya know"
"do you eat alot of salad/pasta?"
"i could never go vegan i love ______ too much"
"GOD PUT THEM HERE FOR US TO EAT" (my personal favourite)

but what i really, really love is when we get past all that and i think i'm talking to an openminded person who is honestly interested because they keep asking questions about my choices and reasons and SOMEWHERE in the middle of it they decide that i'm obviously trying to "convert them" and get all bitchy with the "well you're never gonna get me to give up meat, so don't even try" or something to that general measure.

SERIOUSLY, OMNIS, DON'T ASK IF YOU DON'T REALLY WANT THE ANSWER.

sorry, i had a moment.

LesMiserablesLove
02-16-2007, 02:24 PM
What irritates me most is when they ask a question, and in the middle of responding, they change the subject. This almost always happens when they ask what I eat. So while I'm proving them wrong, they get flustered and want to change the topic--or at least that's how I see it!

I don't have too many people question me on how I know what I know about farms. However, I did have a friend once who asked me, "But don't chickens like to be in cages?" At first I thought he was being obnoxious, but then I realized he was just very ignorant.

mamaquilla
02-16-2007, 02:57 PM
I was horrified to hear a PEDIATRIC NURSE comment on how she felt Atkins worked cuz you know, eating what our bodies were meant to...meaning meat and high fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blank: OMG

Jennarator
02-17-2007, 02:44 AM
My favorites:

1) So, if you had kids someday, you would, make them not eat meat? That's so mean!

2) Can you drink beer?

3) You know, fruit is extremely high in cholesterol.

4) I admire your perspiration. (I think she meant persistence?)

5) (Serious comment, to a pregnant friend of mine) You do realize that your baby will be born retarded, don't you?

Dandelion
02-17-2007, 03:05 AM
I always always alway always get asked (after I explain what a vegan is) what DO you eat?!?!?!?! And then I tell them. And they look at me like I'm a leper.
i'm going to make this tiny scroll that one can put in a pocket easily. When somebody asks "what DO you eat" you can pull it out and have it unroll all dramatic like. Better yet, somebody should make a website called "whatveganseat.com" and you could say 'go to whatveganseat.com'!

this one guy at work would do something similar. he's vegetarian now. i believe the more they act out the closer they are to coming around. it's the quiet ones you gotta look out for.

LuC
02-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Serious comment, to a pregnant friend of mine) You do realize that your baby will be born retarded, don't you?

I had someone say something like that to me over a holiday gathering with co-workers. She basically implied that when I have children raising them vegan was abusive and that I had no right to do that. Damn, I was offended!:angry2: My retort was: soooo...feeding your children MacDonald's is healthy?

VegeTexan
02-17-2007, 10:32 AM
I once was invited to be someone's radio show and debate the author of a book entitled "God's Diet." It was basically a reworking of Adkins using some scripture to prove we were intended to eat meat, and some meaty meal plan recipes. I can't believe this woman was an M.D.

I boned up on my Christian Vegetarian Association literature and basically creamed her. (wow, look, two animal parts references in that one sentence, bad me.)

michiganveganchick
02-17-2007, 10:36 AM
wow, look, two animal parts references in that one sentence, bad me

oh, i took that as two sexual references in one sentence.

bad ME :D

VegeTexan
02-17-2007, 10:40 AM
oh, i took that as two sexual references in one sentence.

bad ME :D

Hmm, I am reminded of Carol Adam's book The Sexual Politics of Meat.

Quincy
02-17-2007, 01:55 PM
typical responses I have gotten:

1. What's that?
2. What do you eat?
3. Why on earth would you make that decision?

what bothers me the most is when someone give me a response like the following, after I explain to them what I don't eat:
"that sucks."

:mad:

EvesChild
02-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Opinion: Someone should create an informative pamphlet or something that answers the reoccuring questions in this thread. And make it interesting! My life would be so much easier :D

mamaquilla
02-17-2007, 08:49 PM
:) yeah, and I even know about the lack of nutritional training and it still startled me big time :rolleyes: :laugh:

OMG- Dandy that is such a brilliant idea, like the little pamplets that PETA give out with lists of whose products are vegan and/or animal friendly BUT about what we eat!!!!!! Thats what my MOM asked me about recently :happy: Such a cool idea :) OK dammit, where is our funding!!!! :silly:

vegancellist
02-17-2007, 08:59 PM
i get "OMG i feel sooo bad for you" to which i usually respond. "Yup, it's a terrible existence...it REALLY sucks to be me."

boko maru
02-17-2007, 09:14 PM
I deleted my last response about doctors only getting 4 hours. Apparently there's a huge discrepancy? They get basic classes, or it's incorporated into classes like "The Complete Doctor" which I read this on a student/doctor board. Seemed like once nutrition was mentioned they got all defensive. Either way, they obviously aren't going into it well enough, if they aren't all vegans. :p

If there were pamphlets, I would carry them around in my purse at all times haha.

Opinion: Someone should create an informative pamphlet or something that answers the reoccuring questions in this thread. And make it interesting! My life would be so much easier :D

We could make one. Gather all the questions on here and answer them. I think there's enough humor in all of us to make it interesting. Put it in Adobe format or something and we're set: it can be printed and carried around.
Right?:huh:

brienne
02-18-2007, 01:37 AM
"But if everyone stopped eating animals, what would happen to them all?" Followed by some description of how we would be overrun or how we would have to kill all of them.

"Are your shoes leather?"

"Isn't that a bit extreme?"

"Really? I'm vegetarian. I don't eat any red meat. Just chicken and fish and stuff like that."

"I love meat. The redder the better. Nice and bloody."

"I hate tofu." (Though usually they admit to never trying it when I ask them about it).

"I have a friend who knew someone who was vegan, but had to stop when they got really sick." (I've never actually met this person, but it seems like lots of people know people who do).

"Why?" (Sometimes I do get genuine curiousity. Othertimes it is less genuine).

"What about human rights? Don't you care about people/children/etc."

And my favorite:
"What do you eat?"

EvesChild
02-18-2007, 01:44 AM
We could make one. Gather all the questions on here and answer them. I think there's enough humor in all of us to make it interesting. Put it in Adobe format or something and we're set: it can be printed and carried around.
Right?:huh:

Right!

vegankitty
02-18-2007, 02:24 AM
I just ordered a t-shirt that says "No , I don't eat meat , yes , I get enough protein , no my shoes aren't leather ,yes , I have a life!".:)

michiganveganchick
02-18-2007, 02:25 AM
I just ordered a t-shirt that says "No , I don't eat meat , yes , I get enough protein , no my shoes aren't leather ,yes , I have a life!".:)

awesome!!!!!! :laugh:

emzy1985
02-18-2007, 06:13 AM
I want that damn t-shirt! How cool! Ok so the main questions I get are:

1) So what is it you actually eat............to which I reply everything else!

2) I dunno what you vegans think we are gonna do with the animals when you make us stop eating them.........to which I go into a indepth account of the reduction in production thing which really gets to them cuz this question always used to miff me and now i have it sussed!

3) Bet you just eat like brocolli and stuff...thats gotta suck.............

My work mates are always particularily harsh and make posters in paint and put them on my desktop like meat is great etc. To which i now have a screensaver which lists the 101 reasons I'm a vegan lol.

4) Why have you got Vegan tattooed on your arm....my reply is that it means more to me than anything else in the world and that I doubt they would have omnivore tattooed on their arms cuz they are sure they will never change their minds. (Little story for you...my mate andrew and i had a heated argument to which I screamed at him until he got omnivore tattooed on his arm as big and in the same place I have vegan, that I didn't wanna hug him anymore. He went to tattoo parlour the next day and got carnivore tattooed tiny on his arm. I still wont hug him....carnivore is a lie and everytime he eats vegetables I call him a lyer but then again he knows not to f*ck with his hardcore vegan buddy hehe!!!)

5) I really love meat and could never go without it....my reply is always the same....GOOD FOR YOU!

6) I dont eat much meat really.............to which my reply is....yeh but you do have meat and dairy with every meal though right and the answer is always yes!

VegeTexan
02-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Whenever I get the "what about all the farm animals that will overrun us when we all disrupt the food cycle by going veg" question, it gives me the opportunity to tell them about "animal husbandry", how farm animal numbers will decline because they don't mate, they are bred. How turkeys have been bred to be so big that they can't have normal sex, how they are basically raped by turkey growers.

If there's time, and they haven't run away yet, I tell them how bull semen is "harvested". I have seen video and it's off-putting, of the guy whose job it is to get into the back half of a cow costume while a bull mounts the contraption and the guy waits inside with a jar.

emzy1985
02-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Yeh that's also a good one!

Joda
02-22-2007, 02:55 AM
I often hear:
1. Oh, I try to eat healthy too! :umm:
2. I don't have time to be vegan!
3. Oh, so you wouldn't want to eat a big fat juicy steak?
4. That must be why you're so skinny! :rolleyes:... (I'm actually a slim, very fit kinda gal!)
5. I'm a vegetarian, but I still eat chicken and/or fish. :confused:

What I want to say in return is:
Go find someone who actually has time to listen to you!
or
Get out of my face!
or
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA! (then walk away... with a cool cat strut!) :cool:

... what I actually do, is:
Just smile and nod (if I'm in a good mood):D

Vegan Angelik
02-22-2007, 03:11 AM
My work mates are always particularily harsh and make posters in paint and put them on my desktop like meat is great etc. To which i now have a screensaver which lists the 101 reasons I'm a vegan lol.

Now Im curious, so what are those 101 reasons that you are Vegan hun, you can emailt hem to me.

I'd love for you to share them with me. This might be interestign for me to read, since Im NEW to Veganism.

Vegan Angelik
02-22-2007, 03:13 AM
5. I'm a vegetarian, but I still eat chicken and/or fish.

You know what I always say to this one?

You cant be a Vegetarian and eat fish and Vegetarians are just lazy Vegans and thats it, lol

emzy1985
02-22-2007, 06:03 AM
Vegan Angelik it wont let me send you a PM yet cuz ur vegan story aint been approved. When it is message me and I'll get the list over to you!

Foreverbright
02-26-2007, 03:11 PM
I just had an encouter today and this is what they said. (there was 3 of them)

"So what DO you eat?"

"What does that mean?"

"Do you eat chicken?" (yes...i know)

Dandelion
02-26-2007, 03:18 PM
I once was invited to be someone's radio show and debate the author of a book entitled "God's Diet." It was basically a reworking of Adkins using some scripture to prove we were intended to eat meat, and some meaty meal plan recipes. I can't believe this woman was an M.D.

I boned up on my Christian Vegetarian Association literature and basically creamed her. (wow, look, two animal parts references in that one sentence, bad me.)
Link please!

VegeTexan
02-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Link please!

I didn't know which you meant....so here is the book God's Diet
meh

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0609605178/ivillage-dietfit-guru-20

and here is the Christian Vegetarian Association
yay

http://www.all-creatures.org/cva/

CVA has a great email newsletter too, that I subscribe to. They have a great pamphlet, Honoring God's Creation, that our veg society keeps in stock for tabling events.

www.all-creatures.org is a great site for the spiritually minded. They host a number of group's websites from their site and they have archived the newsletters of the group where I used to be a journalist, Animal Rights Online.

A couple of times Frank Hoffman, a retired minister who runs the site, has emailed me asking my permission to reprint things I have written, poetry and prayers and such (here's one I am proud of http://www.all-creatures.org/prayers/thanksgiving.html ), on his main site. I like all-creatures.org

Vegan Angelik
02-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Vegan Angelik it wont let me send you a PM yet cuz ur vegan story aint been approved. When it is message me and I'll get the list over to you!

I dotn know hwo to send a PM yet, but it has been approve.

Dandelion
02-26-2007, 06:34 PM
I didn't know which you meant....

sorry, *fixed*

VegeTexan
02-26-2007, 06:44 PM
sorry, *fixed*

Dandy, my friend,
I am sorry there is no link to the radio debate. I don't have it in as an audio file. I guess that program is lost in space.

lunacyxfringe
02-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Yes, I have gotten the exact line- if you don't milk cows they will explode.

Mostly its :
Omg you are so anorexic.
You're going to get so thin you'll disappear.
You're too thin already.
You'll Die.
You'll get sick.
Wow can you actually eat anything?
Some smart remark about the nuts and lettuce that i'm living on...
And about how we've been eating meat from the beginning of history so why should we stop now.
etc, etc, etc.

Joda
03-17-2007, 11:46 PM
I was teaching 10-13year olds for the March break Art Camp when one of the kidz commented on how cool my 'Powered by Tofu' t-shirt was,... a handful actually knew what 'vegan' meant and were not the least bit weirded out by me! There was only one that crinkled up her nose at the idea of anyone choosing to eat 'faux cheese', made with tofu!! Kidz are great! :D

mamaquilla
03-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Joda how totally cool, great kids! :happy:

lanaaa_x
03-21-2007, 12:33 PM
I haven't been vegan for that long so I haven't had much experience with what people say, but one person has said to me, "But what about the plants? You're killing them." :drool:

emzy1985
03-21-2007, 12:57 PM
When I get that one I always say that I don't eat things that were ever conciously living. Which means I can eat plants...I know I did Biology at A LEvel lol!

Emiloid
03-21-2007, 10:24 PM
I haven't been vegan for that long so I haven't had much experience with what people say, but one person has said to me, "But what about the plants? You're killing them." :drool:
You're killing fewer plants than an omni would. :p

kopywrited
03-24-2007, 12:46 AM
cows need to be milked, or theyll explode!
i have heard this so many times from the idiots that go to my high school and if i hear it again i am shooting someones head off and telling people that if their head doesnt drain, their head wouldve exploded.

not really, i just needed to let off some steam. my apologies.
in addition to being vegan, i dont eat anything with perservatives [in most junk food crap that most kids my age eat].
i get the
-why are you vegan?
-is it your religion?
-are your parents vegan?
-whats vegan?
-what do you eat?
-dont you miss <insert animal product here>?
-dairy/eggs dont hurt the cow/chicken...so howcome you dont eat it?

sometimes i get really frustrated, but the questions and people not understanding is to be expected. i feel like it makes me stronger when i can calmly take their misunderstandings and pretending like theyre truly interested in my morals. :umm:

emzy1985
03-25-2007, 06:04 AM
I went to a demo yesterday against Oxford Primate Labs and I got some funny ones off people about how we would all die if we stopped experimenting on animals...hahaha more like the other way round!

Joda
03-25-2007, 10:18 AM
^^ stupid humans :mad:

emzy1985
03-26-2007, 02:55 AM
Indeed....I've decided now that I like animals better anyway!

ahimsa
04-05-2007, 10:33 PM
What do you eat ?

I love (whatever meaty food) too much.

Oh, that's not for me! I love to eat.

Are you sure that's healthy? / Can you survive that way? / You'll starve/be very sick/die.

They're animals, that's what they're for.

It's okay to try this, it only has a little meat in it.

Is it okay if I eat this in front of you (waving something chunk of carcass)?

You must really like lettuce.

Plants suffer, too. / I care just as much about plants.

Hitler was vegetarian. / The Dalai Lama eats meat.

But animals are an important part of "the environment".

It doesn't hurt the cow. / The cows have to be milked.

I was vegetarian for a while, but I just feel SO much better when I eat meat.

I need a lot of protein for "energy".

My daughter/brother/housemate is vegetarian, so we eat a lot of chicken/fish now.

I'm Type O so I have to eat a lot of meat. / If you're Type O you'd really should be eating meat!

Does that mean you can't eat any bread (or mushrooms) 'cuz ya know that yeast (or fungus) is living organism.

Whaddya think these are for (pointing to 'canine' teeth).

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat like a rabbit.

I'm just vegetarian, so I don't have to care about the egg-laying chickens, just the ones they kill for meat. (for real!)

AND ... after explaining that vegan means nothing from animals:
So you drink goat's milk, then, right? (or sushi or emu or whatever sounds health-foody or exotic)

Oy! :rolleyes:

emzy1985
04-07-2007, 02:00 AM
Well some of them I haven't heard before. The veggie saying about the eggs...wtf man???
Anyway at work yesterday it came to attention of one of my colleagues that I was vegan.

"Oh so what do you eat then? Brussel Sprouts? What about all that lovely bacon you will miss out on?"

I laughed abit and just said that I eat everything that they did except without all the animal products. He called me a poor cow. What an ignorant fool!

superwife
04-07-2007, 03:26 AM
i'm not too far in, but there are a few i've gotten already that make me want to pull my hair out and light people on fire.

"that's unhealthy"... coming from a person who had just gotten finished eating two beef & cheddars from arby's *puke*

"you don't eat milk or eggs? that's stupid. you don't have to kill cows and chickens to get milk and eggs."

"humans are supposed to eat meat, it's scientifically proven." the two times i've heard this it's been pretty funny when i ask them to show me the studies or scientific research journals that they got their information... i

Jessica
04-07-2007, 03:45 AM
"Damn. That is a sweet earth you might say."

superwife
04-07-2007, 03:54 AM
wtf, mate?
:thinking:

Doodles
04-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Actually, I have found a very curious lack of people wanting to say or know anything when they find out I am vegan. For instance, many of the coworkers who know I am vegan act as through they know exactly what it means. I've only had two of them ask me where I get my protein or calcium. One coworker started explaining to me how little meat she eats (I never even asked her about this), and the other day she was pretty confused when she asked me if I didn't eat fish either and I said no. Upon hearing me say I don't eat cheese, another coworker looked around in the air and exclaimed how much she like her cheese and doesn't want to know what happens to the animals. So far, only one coworker who is into raw foods has been a bit curious about vegan recipes.

At a meeting once, the CEO announced to a room full of 20+ people eating sausage and bacon that I was vegan, but she seemed to be more proud of this than intending to embarrass me. In the middle of that same meeting, a coworker next to me asked me what I ate since I was a vegan, and I replied that I ate everything that didn't come from an animal. She wanted me to tell her more, but when I did she was so uninterested.

On one other occasion, I asked a coworker what she and her family did to celebrate Chinese New Year and what were traditional things to cook (my intention was to make things vegan and encourage my boyfriend to more actively celebrate the holiday). She suggested that I buy a whole roasted chicken for him and his family, and I just looked at her dumbstruck. Noticing this, she then asked me if they ate the same way I do and suggested something about eggs...

I also get a lot of coworkers who know I am vegan constantly offering to me or buying for me food that is not vegan, and then they are confused when I don't want it. For my birthday, I got a egg- and dairy-laden muffin from everyone. And when they have something, like chocolate, that is vegan and offer me some, they are even more confused that I don't want any. Somehow I should be always be hungry for anything vegan because I am so deprived :rolleyes: .

So, I find that most people don't want to say anything to me and there is a complete lack of wanting to know about what veganism is. And when the subject comes up it is either ignored or skirted around.

Dandelion
04-07-2007, 11:29 AM
I laughed abit and just said that I eat everything that they did except without all the animal products. He called me a poor cow. What an ignorant fool!
i always try to spin it positive about things i DO eat rather than i don't. (As a general rule using positive language is a better form of advocacy imho.) It would also be untrue to say i ate what they ate without animals because often that is ALL they eat. Alotta animal eaters don't even know what a falafel is for chrissakes. Poor animal eaters and their paltry palette.

MissLovely
04-07-2007, 11:31 AM
I recently introduced myself to a writing class, as a vegan. My first responder said he hoped I wrote about cooking, because he was interested in what I ate! (layer of paint! layer of paint!)

mamaquilla
04-07-2007, 06:29 PM
how cool MissLovely!

emzy1985
04-08-2007, 01:55 AM
i always try to spin it positive about things i DO eat rather than i don't. (As a general rule using positive language is a better form of advocacy imho.) It would also be untrue to say i ate what they ate without animals because often that is ALL they eat. Alotta animal eaters don't even know what a falafel is for chrissakes. Poor animal eaters and their paltry palette.

Meh I spose so but really the list of things I eat compared to what they eat is probably triple the length if not longer. But they always laugh as they cannot possibly comprehend that without meat you can have anything nice for dinner.

koren
05-01-2007, 07:53 PM
some of my favorite responses when i say i'm veganare as follows;

"my neice was a vegetarian, but she was sick all the time so she went back to eating meat" (could it be all the nastiness in eggs and cheese??)

"oh, i HAVE to eat meat, i have type O blood, so i believe that i would be sick if i DIDN'T eat it!!" (can ANY idiot write a book???)

and of course, the famous "VEGAN?! WHERE O WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR PROTEIN????"

LesMiserablesLove
05-01-2007, 10:09 PM
I remember reading in Carol Adams' Living Among Meat-Eaters book that the best way to answer a stupid question is to turn it around on the meat-eater. So with the plants one, I would ask, "So do you not eat plants?" or "Do you really think that?" And with the cows would explode one, I would ask, "Do you know anything how milk is produced?" It puts them on the defensive and makes them answer their own question.

LesMiserablesLove
05-01-2007, 10:12 PM
A snarky response to what do you eat might be "everything you don't eat." But in all honesty, I hate that question. I don't mind talking about what I eat, but I find that those people don't actually want to know the answer. They ask, but they don't want to know, so they change the topic or look around anxiously.

koren
05-05-2007, 12:06 AM
:uhoh: putting people on the defensive is fine if you're not at work....hah

(thinking back to when one of the patients wore a stupid shirt stating "save a cow eat a vegetarian"...it was hard to control myself...):drool: