PDA

View Full Version : Vegan hair cuts?

Artichoke47
02-28-2004, 07:41 PM
What do you do when you need a hair cut, as far as dictating that a cruelty-free shampoo and conditioner be used?

I usually cut my own hair, but it could probably use someone else's expertise every once and a while. :p

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Halfelf
02-28-2004, 08:18 PM
I dunno, I don't usually get my hair washed when I get a hair cut. It costs more, anyway!

Lacykitten
02-28-2004, 08:30 PM
I also don't get my hair washed when I go to get it cut. I wash it at home before going. That way, not only do I guarantee that my hair is cruelty free, but I save money too.

To me, the extra, what, $10 that shampooing costs is waaay not worth it.

LittleHottie
02-28-2004, 08:50 PM
I don't ever have my hair washed or styled when I go to the hairdressers. I just wash it before I go and style it my way when I get home. That's a simple solution to your question I think.

herbi
02-28-2004, 09:08 PM
or go to a salon that uses Aveda products and request them instead of whatever other brands they may also carry

Adams
02-28-2004, 09:18 PM
I usually wash my hair before I get it cut. There has been one time that I didn't, and I just bit my tongue. To me it's kinda on par with the soap in public washrooms (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3005).

VeganKen
02-29-2004, 08:49 AM
I usually cut my own hair too. Although I occasionally get a trim at a barber. Like others, I don't get my hair washed there and I ask that they don't put any product in it.

You could always bring in your own hair products and ask that they use them. I can't imagine that they'd care.

Someone mentioned Aveda, which is a good bet. Just be sure that you're not allergic to their products. Some people, like moi, have allergic reactions to them.

On a related note, Aveda is owned by Estee Lauder, which has this to say about animal testing on their web site:

Animal Testing

The Estée Lauder Companies Inc. utilizes state-of-the-art testing methods to ensure the safety and efficacy of our products. All of our ingredients and formulations are tested in vitro and on human volunteers. We do not test our products on animals, nor do we ask others to conduct animal testing on our behalf. The Estée Lauder Companies Inc. has no intention of testing on animals in the future.

This doesn't guarantee that they don't use whale gonads or some other weird ingredients but it's a step in the right direction. Unless it's a lie, which in the current Enron business environment, wouldn't surprise me either. So buy from vegan companies! :)

Beanqueen
03-09-2004, 04:33 AM
Yes I check what products they use and there is only a couple of salons I have been to that used vegan products (one phoned the suppliers while I was there!) and so I had my hair washed and it was lovely. I would not want my hair washed with anything that was not vegan same as I will not wash my hands with non vegan products. If it aint vegan, I'm not using it.

Lacykitten
03-09-2004, 07:16 AM
I was walking along Kensington Road (this artsy/university crowd/ish area) and saw a salon with a big "AVEDA" sign on their window.. so I think I might check them out next I need a hair cut.

Then again the last cut I got was a $6 sale at some cheap place.. and it was fine (just lopsided.. after the woman b*tched at me for me ruining my hair... she couldn't cut it right??)...

jenzie
03-09-2004, 12:29 PM
I'm thinking of growing dreads, partly because my hair is so thick they always charge more to cut it, and I have to be very selective about who I let do it - it's been butchered one too many times. :p

fayking
03-09-2004, 12:40 PM
get dreads get dreads!! they are sooo cute! i had some off my own but i couldnt cope with having hair (i am a shaved head girl at heart) but my girlie has them and they are well cool!

jenzie
03-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by fayking
get dreads get dreads!! they are sooo cute!

Hee! ;) Everybody I know keeps saying I'd look good with them, yay! :thumbsup: ... the only slight reservation I have is about the whole washing/clean hair feeling. Hmmmm...

Beanqueen
03-10-2004, 05:04 AM
It's a total myth that your head has to be skanky when you have dreads. You so can wash your hair. You can do salt rinses as well to help them along.

I love dreads.

jenzie
03-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Beanqueen
It's a total myth that your head has to be skanky when you have dreads. You so can wash your hair. You can do salt rinses as well to help them along.

I love dreads.

Oh, I know you can wash your hair with water and such (wasn't familiar with the salt rinses though), what I was referring to was that whole scalp massage, shampooy fresh feeling. I've never met a soul with dreads who says that can be achieved. ;)

petaske'kwe'
03-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by jenzie
Oh, I know you can wash your hair with water and such (wasn't familiar with the salt rinses though), what I was referring to was that whole scalp massage, shampooy fresh feeling. I've never met a soul with dreads who says that can be achieved. ;)
I had dreads for a while and they were fantastic!!! :) I liked not having to shampoo/blow dry/style/whatever my hair all of the time (I washed them with regular bar soap and they got pretty clean) but after a while I found myself getting really envious while watching my sister brush her soft, silky hair. Definitely go for the dreads though! They are not a lifetime commitment or anything, when I cut mine I was able to only cut off the bottom few inches and I spent a couple of hours in the shower with a couple of bottles of conditioner and a comb and with a little elbow grease, I was able to undread the last few inches so I didn't have to shave my head (I was ready to shave it, but my head is not shaped as nicely as fayking's! :) and I was supposed to be a bridesmaid shortly after that, the bride would have been pissed). I found this link to be helpful when I was thinking of dreading:
http://www.dreadheadhq.com/

jenzie
03-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Okay, so I'm getting pretty pumped about it all. Hee! :D Thanks for the link, petaske'kwe'!

1Vegan
03-24-2004, 02:13 AM
I wash it before I go, if I do it.

I'm thinking of buying a trimmer and start doing it myself.

Husky Corn Star
03-27-2004, 02:38 AM
I shave my head, so no worries :D

Husky Corn Star
03-27-2004, 02:44 AM
Actually, I shave my whole body including b, c & s ;)

Beanqueen
03-30-2004, 02:14 AM
always knew you were a smoothy husk!!

Adams
03-30-2004, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Husky Corn Star
Actually, I shave my whole body including b, c & s ;) What does b, c & s mean? :huh:

Originally posted by Beanqueen
always knew you were a smoothy husk!! Heheheh! :rolleyes:

fayking
03-30-2004, 05:25 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Adams
[B]What does b, c & s mean? :huh:

back, crack and sack!

Adams
03-30-2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by fayking
back, crack and sack! :o ;)

Beanqueen
03-30-2004, 07:11 AM
I had worked that out and wondered whether to post explanation but decided not to! It took me a while though ... and when I did work it out I had exactly that facial expression :o

fayking
03-30-2004, 10:56 AM
hehhee if anyone in the uk watched 'the salon' on channel 4...the process looked somewhat painful!!

Husky Corn Star
04-07-2004, 02:56 AM
:D

nirvanicmountaineer
04-11-2004, 01:47 AM
Dreads, or as i like to call them, tribal locks, are beautiful. Deffinetly go for them. :thumbsup:

tusu

zatoichi
04-15-2004, 10:52 PM
i shave my head too. annually. i've literally had two or three haircuts in the past twenty-four months. i just can't be bothered. but now i look like i've just returned from iraq. next year i'll have to keep a nice knit hat handy.