PDA

View Full Version : Hair growth? Pop Quiz!

Spaceman
02-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Ok, I have a couple silly questions.

Supposedly, vitamin E makes your hair grow quicker. True or false?

Certain shampoos claim to make your hair grow faster. True or false?

I'm too lazy to look it up and would otherwise have someone here lead me in the right direction.

ohbugs
02-26-2004, 11:35 PM
After getting an unfortunate haircut, I started talking vitamins that supposedly would make your hair grow faster. Though having all the right vitamins, minerals, and nutrients in your system will certainly help your hair grow in strong and healthy, I don't think the vitamins did a dang thing to increase the rate of growth. That's my experience.

San
02-27-2004, 12:58 AM
I'm curious about this and have been meaning to start a thread! I've been growing my hair out for two and a half years and it has only gone from my shoulder to just below my breast. I've only trimmed it a few times, to get rid of split ends. It's really curly, so it still looks just a little longer shoulder length. My nails grow SUPER fast and are really strong and healthy, so why does my hair grow at such a slow pace?

Is there nutrients that make hair grow faster? People always tell me it will grow faster if I trim the ends, but I don't see how the roots of my hair would know something is going on at the ends and decide to grow faster! Help!

Dandelion
02-27-2004, 01:25 AM
My hair grows quite fast.
Try drinking beer.
;)
i don't know nuttin 'bout no vitamins...
*hic* :drunk:

dropscone
02-27-2004, 03:35 AM
San I have the same thing.

I'd much rather have fast growing hair than strong nails, but I suppose nails are more useful. :umm:

What really gets me jealous is that my (male) friend started growing his hair 2 years back, when it was a short man's cut, and now it's as long as mine (about 2" below shoulder) and in much better condition.

I don't think my hair gets much longer than this, either :cry:

herbi
02-27-2004, 05:18 AM
If you trim the ends it will SEEM to grow faster because if you keep the split ends from propagating, your hair will stop breaking off... most people have something of a "set length" beyond which it's really hard for your hair to get any longer, because by the time the hairs get that long they are old and weak and break off or fall out to get replaced by a new one. So, trims and conditioners can help, but only so much... I know before I chopped my hair off, I went years and years without cutting it at all, and it just wouldn't get any longer than almost-to-my-waist. Sigh. :)
(Oh, and I don't know of anything you can ingest to speed the process up.)

Oatmeal Girl
02-27-2004, 07:50 AM
I used Solgar's Skin, Hair, and Nails supplement for a month. (and now I'm having the hardest time reordering it off of the net!)When I took it, it seemed to make my hair grow fast, although that wasn't my intention. Maybe it was all in my head, though.

Haha, get it? :rolleyes: All in my head! That was unintentional.:D

penfold
02-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by herbi
I went years and years without cutting it at all, and it just wouldn't get any longer than almost-to-my-waist. Sigh. :)

oh please :) :rolleyes:

mind you, mine was that kind of length until a few years ago. i cut it all off and it has grown like billy-o since then. at least, so my relatives tell me. i don't know what i did to achieve that (except cutting it all off)

isn't there a length where it stops getting longer or something?

downwithapathy
02-27-2004, 09:10 AM
Each individual human head hair has a "life cycle" of about 2-6 years. Those of us who, even without a lot of breakage, can't grow our hair very long are the 2-year folk. Mine has never grown much past the shoulder blades, and I've kept it cut at shoulder length or less since I was about 13.
I think I might be able to get it a bit longer today though; it's been in a period of mad-growth for a few years now (I wish I could tell you what I've done differently). Even in winter (when hair supposedly grows more slowly), mine comes in at double the half inch/month average.
...but I do use vitamin e oil to treat sunburn...which I get rather often.

San
02-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Ah, so that explains it! Thanks Herbi! I'll have my mom trim it next time I go home.

Does anyone else with curly hair have individual pieces of hair tie itself in a knot? It's rather annoying, but finding them is fun to do in a boring class.

Ariann
02-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by San
Does anyone else with curly hair have individual pieces of hair tie itself in a knot? It's rather annoying, but finding them is fun to do in a boring class.

They do it while I sleep. Hair is perfectly untangled when I get into bed, a nest of knots when I wake up. Exasperating.
Also, even though my hair probably doesn't grow any slower than anybody else's, the curliness makes it seem so much shorter than it really is.

jenzie
02-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Sonja
Each individual human head hair has a "life cycle" of about 2-6 years. Those of us who, even without a lot of breakage, can't grow our hair very long are the 2-year folk.

Looks like I'm in the 6-year group. Until last year, I've always had long (anywhere from mid-back to butt length), thick hair. Now I have to get it cut about every two months to keep it short. But not too short, or the thickness creates a nice white girl arfo. :p People keep telling me I would look great with dreads... but I really enjoy shampooing my hair. Hee. ;) I'm thinking I might try getting it braided this summer though... we shall see.