PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Squirell Hills; Zen Garden.

iamtheqbu
02-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Zen Garden is this oriental themed veggie resteraunt with a huge (100+ items) menu that is 99% vegan according to the menu. The non vegan items all have some sort of obvious dairy in them. The question I have is whether or not the extensive faux meat selection is all 100% vegan or if it might have some trace ingredients of animal origin, such as egg whites? The resteraunt owners seem to know what a vegan is, one of the chefs found out we (my family and a friend) were vegan and became very excited! She offered us a free sample of a vegan dessert she was developing and she gave us free calendar/menu scrolls. :happy: It was super cool, but I'm still a little cautious. The menu has everything from beef and chicken to shrimp and shark fin soup, all supposedly vegan. Anyone else been there or inquired more than I have?

greentea
06-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Sadly it seems that they now also serve meat. I went there just this evening, had the spinach lo mein and there's also a meat menu as well. I feel a bit like they've sold out, but my boyfriend's thoughts were, "well, whatever keeps them open and serving the vegan food!" To a point, he's right.

Oh, and just up the street on Murray, there's an Indian place, Indian Oven, that labels everything that's vegan and has a rather extensive vegan menu!