PDA

View Full Version : Was it hard on your body becoming Vegan?

PaddynJordan
02-04-2004, 10:04 PM
I'm doing this kind of in my own way, and right now I'm not doing any meat. The only dairy i'm doing is as an ingredient (like, products that contain whey etc). Of course, my end goal is no animal products whatsoever but I'm working towards that gradually.

I've noticed that my appetite is almost gone, and when I do eat..I get a little nausiated. And...I don't know how to put this in a lady like way....but everything I eat doesn't stay in for very long. :confused:

Is this a normal stage that your body goes through when you're making this change? I just don't feel good.

jenzie
02-04-2004, 10:35 PM
My body went through a kind of detox when I went vegan... basically everything moved through me at a rapid rate, and I, uh, lost a lot of stuff that was, um, stored in me. Heh. I also went through a period where I felt really weak and blah... but once that all passed, I felt great and have ever since! :)

PaddynJordan
02-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Ok, thanks. I'm pretty relieved! I thought my body was rejecting veganism and I was going to send the rest of my life in the toilet!

VeganKen
02-05-2004, 08:21 AM
A few suggestions to help with the, umm... quick digestive track... hehe

One is acidophilus (the non-dairy kind). This powder helps to repopulate the little critters that live in your intestines. You can get it at health food stores (it will be refrigerated). The other suggestion is to eat a bit more raw fruits and vegetables. They take longer to digest and don't move as quickly. Also, try eating smaller and more frequent meals for a few weeks.

Be sure to drink lots of water but avoid drinking anything while eating - this dilutes the digestive juices.

Sorry that you're going through this! :umm: Things will get better soon! :)

mountainvegan
02-05-2004, 09:23 AM
I was lacto-ovo veg for 6 months before I went vegan. I did not have any problems with either transition. A vegan diet definitely makes you more regular, which is a healthy thing. :)

I recommend reading the book Becoming Vegan (I forget the authors' names) for nutrition advice - excellent book.

beane
02-05-2004, 11:21 AM
A vegan diet definitely makes you more regular, which is a healthy thing. :)

I suspect this is a pretty common experience for vegans. Vegan diets are a lot higher in fiber, which is gonna result in more trips to the restroom. But like mountainvegan mentioned, unless it is really severe, this is probably a healthy thing. Though I suppose it can be disconcerting at first. :)

As far as loss of appetite and feelings nausiated, hopefully this will pass in time. Your body is probably just getting used to your new diet. I would suggest trying a variety of foods, and see if that has any effect.

Velvet Lamb
02-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by mountainvegan
Becoming Vegan (I forget the authors' names) for nutrition advice - excellent book. [/B]

http://www.nutrispeak.com/bvegan.htm

Canada represent!

no really, this book rawks. I went vegan 5.5 years ago and I still often reference it.

Velvet Lamb
02-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Velvet Lamb
http://www.nutrispeak.com/bvegan.htm

Canada represent!

no really, this book rawks. I went vegan 5.5 years ago and I still often reference it.

what! my point?

oh yeah,
Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina

mountainvegan
02-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Velvet Lamb
Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina

Thanks, VL. :)

PaddynJordan
02-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks everyone!:)

Artichoke47
03-02-2004, 05:25 PM
Your body will love you for feeding it vegan food. :D

iamtheqbu
03-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by PaddynJordan
I've noticed that my appetite is almost gone, and when I do eat..I get a little nausiated. And...I don't know how to put this in a lady like way....but everything I eat doesn't stay in for very long. :confused:

I didn't realize this when this was first posted, but the same thing happens to me sometimes! If I go a few days eating very badly (lots of processed crap, sugar, unhealthy in general) and then I suddenly decide to be very healthy again and have a huge salad for dinner, the salad goes straight through me and my tummy feels kinda icky and don't want to eat at all the next day. It only lasts a little while though, and my body quickly adjusts to healthy food again. Maybe that's like what you are going through (or went through by now, hopefully) on a different scale?

Epinephrine
03-03-2004, 08:19 PM
when you eat very little fibre regularly and then all of a sudden you start eating a lot of fribre that causes a lot of stress in your digestive system. try to go easy on the fibre, it's really not good for sensitive bowels.

Cashier
03-08-2004, 09:12 PM
I found myself addicted to saturated fats when 1st becoming Vegan and added coconut milk and avocodos to my diet especially when I felt a "fat" urge coming on. I still love guacamole and Coconut drinks but have cut back slowly and found these 2 high saturated fats work and are heavy and filling (if thats what your missing?). (Also walnuts)

Husky Corn Star
03-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by PaddynJordan
I thought ... I was going to spend the rest of my life in the toilet!

That would be a fairly sh*tty life ;)

Cashier
03-09-2004, 11:40 AM
I will make it a point to pick up a website link from a friend of mine all about "b ms". Its tastefully done with cartoon illustrations and everything (kinda wierd but funny) and created by the medical community.