PDA

View Full Version : I'm sensitive to a fault

PaddynJordan
02-02-2004, 02:02 AM
My vegan journey all started with my dog, Jordan. I adopted her about 3 months ago. She was rescued from an EVIL EVIL puppy mill where she was forced to have litter after litter of puppies and was so mistreated that she only has 3 teeth left. (Which causes her tounge to hang out of her mouth)

I started researching puppy mills on the internet...trying to see what, no matter how small, I could do to help these poor animals. Well, of course, my search led me to generally animal cruelty including animal testing and factory farming and all the horror that these animals go through.

It literally kept me up at night. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't stop thinking about it. After a couple of months of sleepless nights I started seriously considering veganism. I knew it would be hard. I started educating myself via the internet and books about vegan foods and lifestyle. I decided that it was something that I had to do, and I made a game plan.

First, I would give up all red meat. I've done this sucessfully, and I'm now on my second stage, which is no meat at all. I'm experimenting with recipes that include vegan staples such as tofu, TVP, nutritional yeast...etc. My next step will be cutting out all dairy and eggs...and finally my diet will be animal free.

I've also started cutting items out of my everyday life. I didn't have much clothing type items to worry about. I got rid of two pairs of Dr. Martens that were entirely leather, and the shoes that I currently wear everyday (Sketchers) have a little bit of leather on them. I've decided to wear them until they're worn out, and then I will only by vegan shoes.

I've started researching companies that don't test on animals, or contain any animal products in their merchendise. It's been a pretty sad search I have to say. I've started making my own vegetable based soap, and soy wax candles. I've gotten a lot of vegan recipies for body care products that I'm going to try out.

So, basically, I'm working on it. I'm committed and I've no doubt that I will be successful! (I'm extremely hard headed).

No matter how small this is, when you think about vast scope of the problem, it has given me peace of mind.

dropscone
02-02-2004, 03:06 AM
That's a fantastic story.

Welcome :)

jenzie
02-02-2004, 03:09 AM
My dog played a role in my decision to go vegan as well. :) Best of luck to you as you cut out everything else!

There are lots of great "substitute" products out there, and tofu is amazing. Have fun! :D

downwithapathy
02-02-2004, 03:21 AM
Fantastic story, indeed!!!! Welcome!!! :):):)

VeganKen
02-02-2004, 08:52 AM
Amazing!!! You will find a lot of information and support here! Don't be shy about asking. :)

iamtheqbu
02-02-2004, 10:14 AM
What a wonderful story! I feel for you, I too have had many a sleepless night for the same reasons. So sad...

Welcome to VRF! :D

spacehippy
02-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Hi, nice to meet you! :)

-Nick

beane
02-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Hey. Good to meet you.

Where are you from in MO? I am going to school in Rolla.

Glad to hear the puppy found a good home. Unfortunately we Missourians have the distinction of living in the state with by far the most puppy mills.

I have two friends who adopted a puppy that had been rescued from a puppy mill. The poor thing had lived in a cage it's entire life, and had no concept of up or down. When they first got her, whenever she would try to go down steps in their house, she wouldn't know to step down, and would just fall down the steps. She would watch the other dogs and try to learn from them how she should deal with various obstacles.

PaddynJordan
02-02-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm in a small little town called Mexico. It's about 40 minutes from Columbia.

You are right about the puppy mill situation. I live in a very small town and it alone has THREE puppy mills.

My dog, Jordan had and still has a lot of social issues. She doesn't like anyone but me. If someone tries to go towards her, she runs away. When I first got her she didn't bark, or wag her tail. She has since started doing both! :D She's basically learning to be a dog. She's learning a lot from my other adopted dog, Paddy (short for Padfoot, I'm a total Harry Potter nerd!) who is a year old and very playful. Jordan has learned to play a bit, she'll nudge tennis balls around with her nose and swat them with her paws. Doesn't seem very exciting, but I think it's her way of "playing".

It's horrible what those puppy mills do. I don't know how the people running them sleep at night.