PDA

View Full Version : Costco

Justitia
01-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Not sure where this post belongs, but I'll try here for starters (mods, feel free to move if it's more appropriate elsewhere)

I'm wondering what, if anything, people find worth buying at Costco. I'm thinking about getting a membership, but don't want it to be only for paper products, Luna Bars, and bottled water.

Anyone?

jenbizagogo
01-27-2004, 11:04 AM
You should ask Casey to take you so you can check it out. She's gotten huge containers of hummus, chickpeas, broccoli, etc. Apparently they also have a slew of vegan bakery items like pies, coffee cakes, etc. I've never been myself, but I've been meaning to check it out one of these days!

Emiloid
01-27-2004, 12:23 PM
I think they have Boca Burgers.... I also buy huge cans of tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, crushed tommatoes, etc., and smaller cans of tomato stuff and beans. (For pasta sauces, chili, and soup.) They have good, cheap pasta, too.

AdiaStar
01-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Recently went to Costco(in Staten Island, NY) with my parents. Picked up some Boca Burgers(16 big ones for $8.99)-which is awesome because my local supermarkets sell the Boca Burgers for $3.99-$4.29 for the 4 pack and they are much smaller!
Also picked up a can of chick peas, 110 ounces for $2.19!! Hummus for weeks!!! Some canned mushrooms, a pack of 6 Romaine lettuce for $2.99.

I always check the bakery products but none that I see are Vegan.

They have tons of fruits and veggies. I love going there!

You should go with someone that has a memebership already to check it out. But beware, you won't walk out empty handed! :D

Take Care,
AdiaStar

JasonSt
01-28-2004, 11:48 PM
Since the issue of GMO's comes up alot here, I thought I'd add that Boca, unless it is the organic line, are made from GMO soy. Furthermore, it is owned (last I'd heard) by Kraft, which is owned by Phillip Morris the Marlboro Man.

Adams
01-29-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by JasonSt
Since the issue of GMO's comes up alot here, I thought I'd add that Boca, unless it is the organic line, are made from GMO soy. Furthermore, it is owned (last I'd heard) by Kraft, which is owned by Phillip Morris the Marlboro Man. This one is for you JasonSt: link! (http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=26873#post26873)

crys
01-30-2004, 02:30 AM
I have a horrible time separating costco and Sams, but one of them has excellent sweet corn! It's a big bag and I can easily go through it in less than a month. They are so good that I don't even cook them because they make an excellent frozen snack. I also get a big bag of peas and they have lots of other cheap vegetables and fruits. If you love bananas you can get a fairly yellow batch and a green batch so by time you're done with the yellow one the green ones have turned yellow. They also sale soymilk but I'm not sure if it's vegan or not. Of course you can get electronics and blank videotapes or disks from the store too. I personally think the cheap membership card is worth it just for the vegetables, fruits, and cheap blank videotapes. I do advise putting oranges in the refrigerator though. When we don't they mold really fast, but when we do they last for a month or so.

Lacykitten
01-30-2004, 05:35 AM
I think it was Costco that I got a huge bulk box of chocolate chips - not carob! chocolate! GOOD chocolate chips!

It was like a 5 or 9 lb box or something like that. :D

Only place in Calgary that sells vegan chocolate chips that aren't some other flavor (like the tropical source ones)

shedonteatmeat
01-30-2004, 08:12 AM
We don't have a costco's here, but Sam's has some good veggie stuff. Boca Burgers for like $7.39 or so (16 big ones), huge cheap bags of broccoli, big packs of tomatoes, well basically all of their produce is usually really cheap and good. Good frozen veggies too. I've looked at alot of their bakery stuff and none has been vegan.

I'm not a member, I just tag along with people that are ;)

LittleHottie
02-01-2004, 11:55 PM
I live in Victoria, BC and I have a Cosco membership through my work, and being a vegan they do not have any options there for me, not even in the bakery. When I was a vegetarian they used to carry large packs of veggie burgers but not anymore. I'd say if you know someone who has a card go with them as a guest first as you are allowed to buy things with them. check it out and then you'll know if it's work it.

To tell you the truth, things are'nt that much cheaper there anyway and I won't be renewing my membership next year.