PDA

View Full Version : Veggie, not vegan

Exitof99
01-25-2004, 11:07 PM
Hi!

I'm many things, as I hope you all are. Currently, I'm chatting with friends as I try to finish a website for a client...

A few instances of myself --

Business Owner/Media Producer:
www.howdymedia.com

Musician (matter of opinion):
www.99centspecial.com

Since this is a food choice based site, I will say that I'm a 13 year vegeatarian who is pickier than most vegans I know. I'm an ice cream addict, so I'll most likely never be vegan, sorry folks!

Yum?

Exit!

herbi
01-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Hey, I know you! :) Welcome, Exit!
Maybe if you hang around here long enough we'll change your mind about that ice cream...? ;)

Exitof99
01-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Hey I know you too! hehe, imagine that!

I see Ithaca under your name and I think about all the food that awaits me there...

herbi
01-25-2004, 11:40 PM
:D Mmmmmmmm.......

Lotsa other goth/industrial music folks lurking here too, btw, maybe some of them will say Hi?

Oh, and Spacehippy! Exit has a Bunny! :) (Spacehippy :heart:s bunnies. But who doesn't?)

Now let the veganization begin... ;)

Exitof99
01-25-2004, 11:45 PM
: ((((((((((((((((((((((((

My bunny died over Christmas holiday. It was rather tragic, I didn't know that he could die from hairballs in his intestines. I didn't realize what happened until it was too late.

The worst was when I received a gift for him from a friend.

Dandelion
01-25-2004, 11:52 PM
Welcome Exitof99.

Hmmm this seems to be a story in development i'd say ;) Rawk on with yer veg*n self. I wouldn't say this is a "food choice based" site at all though. Veganism is much more than the food aspect and i'm sure you'll discover that in reading these threads. I've had many people in wide-eyed amazement ask how i can give up ice cream. Well first of all i was never really into it and second of all there are some great vegan versions out there and thirdly dairy is a nasty thing (http://plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?threadid=93&highlight=dairy). Good luck and i hope you find great information and support 'round here. Quite a few musicians too!

herbi
01-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Oh no oh no oh no!!!!!
:( :cry: :(

I'm sorry, I didn't know about your bunny. :( :( :( They are delicate little creatures, huh? :umm: But I know you took good care of the little guy while he was with you.

Exitof99
01-26-2004, 12:37 AM
My life is busy, so I might be brief in my story, but I'll make up for it in the forums. Not trying to blindly label with 'food based site', just like playing with words.

I've had 13 years of an open eye for information about non-vegan nastiness, so I do understand and completely have absolute respect for veganism, but I couldn't ever make that jump myself. My favorite food is Indian, and their food uses a lot of dairy, like yogurt in nan bread, and cream in many sauces.

I do say, when I cook Indian, it's normally vegan. I do eat on occasion Soy Delicious and Rice Dream in place of ice cream.

As for my reasons, I don't eat meat because I don't believe in taking another life to preserve myself (unless it's an attacking animal/human). Preferably, I'd have a small farm for myself and those in my community and have a few chickens and a cow or goat which would be friends as well as providers of eggs and milk.

I haven't that ability right now, but know a couple that have chickens that live in their house and are their pets and also provide eggs.

For Bunny, he did live a good life and was a good friend. They are indeed VERY fragile creatures (ahhhhhhhhh deja vu.)

jenzie
01-26-2004, 01:27 AM
Thanks for sharing your story with us, Exitof99! :) I didn't think I could give up ice cream either; the soy versions just didn't do it for me. I'm all about whole fruit sorbet now! ;)

sudonim3
01-29-2004, 04:38 AM
<Since this is a food choice based site, I will say that I'm a 13 year vegeatarian who is pickier than most vegans I know. I'm an ice cream addict, so I'll most likely never be vegan, sorry folks!>

All the more reason to work at finding alternatives that are just as tasty. Find them. Make them. Pressure food manufacturers to make them and make them tastier.

Also, I assume you'd keep eating steak if you were a "steak addict."

<As for my reasons, I don't eat meat because I don't believe in taking another life to preserve myself (unless it's an attacking animal/human).>

But you believe in taking and ruining MANY other lives to satisfy a desire for ice cream made with milk? This makes no sense.

I don't preach in real life, but this is a vegan forum. I wouldn't visit a carnivore, omnivore or vegetarian forum because I don't want to hear this nonsense anymore. I wouldn't be here if someone hadn't mentioned it several times.

<Preferably, I'd have a small farm for myself and those in my community and have a few chickens and a cow or goat which would be friends as well as providers of eggs and milk.>

I agree on this score except that there are at least 6 billion humans on this planet. It may be that there's no way to feed every human "humanely" raised eggs and milk. So it's better to find, make, and pressure food companies to make excellent alternatives to animal products. Those people who have health issues and allergies that may almost require them to have some animal products could be the few to eat "humanely" produced dairy and eggs.

At least you've cut down on the overall suffering of animals to the degree you've stopped eating meat. That's better than nothing. If someone decides to stop eating meat for their health, I figure the animals that no longer have to suffer for that person's self indulgence don't care what reason he had.

Exitof99
03-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Sudomin,

I have yet to meet a vegan that is flawlessly so. I truly believe I make great efforts not contribute to the meat industry. The truth is it all comes to individual tolerances. If you didn't know it already, cash money has animal bi-products in it, as well as almost everything rubber or plastic. I'm going to guess that you own electrical devices, drive/ride in a car, use money, and countless other things that we don't have much choice in.

The vegan cause is truly a great one. My vision of the future is one full of lab-grown meats (using tissue growth labs) and sythetic everything to replace anything animal derived. We all live in our time. Trying to be vegan 50 years ago may have been considerably harder, and so I doubt there were nearly any then. But 50 years from now, with the trend in place, it can only grow and be a continual influence on the new generations.

<I don't preach in real life, but this is a vegan forum. I wouldn't visit a carnivore, omnivore or vegetarian forum because I don't want to hear this nonsense anymore. I wouldn't be here if someone hadn't mentioned it several times.>

If you had a vegan dinner party with all of your vegan friends and your parents (who I assume eat meat [as most do]) or a steak-loving friend showed up, would you ask them to leave because you felt they didn't belong there?

Moreover, I don't think I speak nonsense. It's nonsense to insist that only vegans learn more about veganism or concerns shared by a vegetarian such as me.

And yes, it's a utopian concept to have everyone raising cows/chickens on animal friendly farms. There COULD be a real relationship between animals and humans which some currently do have. I don't see that consuming an egg that your friend made as a bad thing, personally.

Not only have I cut down on animals dying for me, I've done the same by being an example for many friends who have limited or eliminated their intakes out of a new found respect.

I'm not mad at you for your comments, by the way; speak your mind, that's why we are here!