PDA

View Full Version : Einstein

sudonim3
01-24-2004, 05:38 AM
Was a vegatarian and I've seen quotes of his, some of which I made an effort to verify. Check it out. Just google Einstein vegetarian.

eg:
A human being is a part of the whole, called by us the 'Universe', a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separate from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. - New York Post, 28 November 1972

It is my view that the vegetarian manner of living by its purely physical effect on the human temperament would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind. - Letter to 'Vegetarian Watch-Tower', 27 December 1930

Emiloid
01-24-2004, 12:57 PM
We are certainly in good company! As you illustrate, some of the smartest folks in history were veggie.

jenzie
01-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Emiloid
We are certainly in good company! As you illustrate, some of the smartest folks in history were veggie.

They knew what was up. ;)

bird
11-22-2005, 06:25 PM
I :heart: Stone Soup.

KKB
11-22-2005, 08:37 PM
i have a great photo of Einstein in my office... He is riding a bicycle. bikes, veganism, theory of relativity -- ah, be still my heart.
(and he had excellent hair :silly: )

attackferret
11-22-2005, 08:56 PM
cym, that was awesome.

mountainvegan
11-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Eh, it's just women trying to steal all the credit again. :rolleyes:

j/k

Dandelion
11-23-2005, 02:10 PM
had no idea.
enlightening, thanks!

oldradical
11-24-2005, 01:26 AM
Since we now know that Einstein was a worthless scumbag philanderer and really the credit should go to his first wife, we can drop him from the list of veggies to mention.

Was she a vegetarian, by the way? Just wondered. Not that it matters.

KKB
11-25-2005, 01:12 AM
can i recant my previous comment?
i had no idea. thank you for bringing this to my awareness.
here is a detailed account of her life... and marriage to Albert---who appears to have been a real dick, even aside from claiming full credit for work.
http://www.pbs.org/opb/einsteinswife/
(picture will be removed on Monday :mad: )

mountainvegan
11-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Before we slam Albert Einstein too much, we should remember that:

1) we don't really know how much credit for the general ideas goes to him versus her (so, he may *or* may not have dishonestly claimed all the credit),
2) he *did* write out the theories himself and, although may have gotten many ideas from conversations with the S.O., defended the theories conceptually and mathematically (IOW, it's a lot of very hard work to write such papers and he deserves credit for "spelling it all out" and defending it.)

Also, people change throughout their lives. Albert may have been much different as a person in his 20s (when he did almost all of his work in physics) than as an older, wiser adult.

My main point is that to characterize someone as a dick, jerk, a-hole, etc, based on one alleged, unproven dishonesty at one point in their long life, while not knowing much about them otherwise, is a bit trigger-happy and prejudice.

oldradical
11-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Mountainvegan, I do believe you have grasped the essence of contemporary American feminism; the irony in my preceding post was probably not as apparent as I could and should have made it.

I understand it's more strident in the States than elsewhere, which is ironic, given that the status of women throughout the world is generally much worse than here. Of course, there are bright spots like the Scandinavian countries, where there is almost equality.

KKB
11-25-2005, 09:26 PM
SEEMS like a dick. you're right, i wasn't there.
i did not intend to discredit any of his accomplishments by pointing out the (unproven) claim that his wife did most of the dirty work. the article i referenced mostly discussed the mistreatment of Mileva Einstein at the hands of her husband. i also realize that this was not at all uncommon for that time period.

mountainvegan
11-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Mountainvegan, I do believe you have grasped the essence of contemporary American feminism; the irony in my preceding post was probably not as apparent as I could and should have made it.

I understand it's more strident in the States than elsewhere, which is ironic, given that the status of women throughout the world is generally much worse than here. Of course, there are bright spots like the Scandinavian countries, where there is almost equality.

Heh, sorry, I may have grasped the essence of contemporary American feminism, but I didn't grasp the essence of the irony in your post when I first read it - and now I do - :D

Admiral Halsey's RAM
11-24-2008, 01:56 AM
It was in a cartoon. On the internet. So it has to be really really true.

hennry
11-24-2008, 03:53 AM
Now only i heard about Einstein, a vegetarian.
---------------

hennry