PDA

View Full Version : Chicagoans - Please read!!!!

its_a_gas
01-15-2004, 08:55 AM
I feel like I'm going to throw up.

Pit Bull Murderer (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-coun15.html)

I'm calling my alderperson right away. I doubt that there's any way this could even come close to passing, but I'm prepared to quit my job and work full time to fight it. I'd hurt someone before I let them take Mack away from me.

Beanqueen
01-15-2004, 09:22 AM
The only exceptions would be pit bulls used for "zoological, education, medical or scientific purposes"

you could keep Mack to educate these frickin idiots that it is all about the person with the dog, not the actual dog!!

This is hideous, I'm so sorry. It must be unenforcable. If you have an email address for your council, we could all email even though we don't live in the area.

Collies actually bit more people last year than any other breed of dog. Pah. I can't remember where I heard that stat but it stuck in my head.

its_a_gas
01-15-2004, 11:23 AM
This is seriously one of the sickest things I've ever heard. I've been physically ill and shaking all morning.

Chicagoans: Please contact your alderperson as soon as possible and explain why this cannot be allowed to pass.

Chicago would forever be known as the doggie slaughter capital of the US.

I'm seeing visions of my innocent angel Mack being taken away to be murdered, meanwhile hopping all over people and licking them, because he's so excited to go for a ride.

Oh my God, I'm gonna vomit.

its_a_gas
01-15-2004, 11:34 AM
If you're not sure who your alderperson is, you can find them here:

Alderperson Map (http://www.cityofchicago.org/CityCouncil/)

its_a_gas
01-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Sorry, Beanqueen! I'm so flustered, that I didn't even read your post.

If any non-Chicago residents would like to send an e-mail to Virginia Rugai (the alderperson proposing the ordinance), her e-mail address is:

vrugai@cityofchicago.org

As for the Collie thing....the top 3 biting breeds seem to be different in every area. It is unbelievabaly rare, however, that the American Pit Bull Terrier appears as one of the top ten biters in any area - and there are more APBTs out there than any other breed. All anyone has to do is about 5 minutes of research, and common sense will tell you that this is an insanely misrepresented and misunderstood breed. They consistantly score higher than Golden Retrievers in temperament tests (not that I would actually glorify the tests).

I'm really scared, because this legislation is so extreme. What if it leads to discussion of lighter breed specific legislation? All of those poor, innocent Pit Bulls sitting in shelters would have to be murdered. And most of us Pit Bull guardians probably wouldn't even be able to afford the insurance coverage to keep our furry companions. We'd still have to leave the city or risk having our dogs taken away from us.

Dandelion
01-15-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm sending emails. A little research dug up THIS similar situation (http://www.nyx.net/~mbur/apbtfaqbaninfo.html). There are sample letters you can glean stuff from.

its_a_gas
01-15-2004, 01:07 PM
It looks like she goes by both Virginia and Ginger, from what I can see.

Dandelion
01-15-2004, 01:15 PM
sorry its_a_gas i did some more digging and found it to be officially Virginia...i deleted my post but you were too quick!
:)

emails away!

nobody's taking your Mack away!
:kiss:

Originally posted by its_a_gas
It looks like she goes by both Virginia and Ginger, from what I can see.

its_a_gas
01-15-2004, 01:18 PM
By the way, Dave - thank you for linking to the Maryland case. I remember when that legislation was proposed - and I even remember sending a few e-mails. However, I've been looking for info on that particular case recently, and haven't been able to find anything. And here I thought I was an expert Googler!

its_a_gas
01-15-2004, 01:33 PM
FYI:

Rugai's office is giving out incorrect information to people. They're telling people that Cincinnati, OH has the exact same legislation that is currently being proposed by Rugai. That is false. They lifted the ban quite a few months ago, making the legislation behavior-specific instead of breed-specific.

JasonSt
01-15-2004, 01:44 PM
I've not known a pitbull who wasn't friendly and well behaved. I don't understand why people allow their ignorance to lead them to a conclusion. Anecdotal evidence has little relation to fact. It soulds like this elected official is a reactionary who has bought into the misplaced sterotype.

I'll definitely be sending an email.

Dandelion
01-15-2004, 01:48 PM
that's good to know.
btw- Are there any local Dog Groups out there?

Originally posted by its_a_gas
FYI:

Rugai's office is giving out incorrect information to people. They're telling people that Cincinnati, OH has the exact same legislation that is currently being proposed by Rugai. That is false. They lifted the ban quite a few months ago, making the legislation behavior-specific instead of breed-specific.

thanks JasonSt!

Originally posted by JasonSt
I've not known a pitbull who wasn't friendly and well behaved. I don't understand why people allow their ignorance to lead them to a conclusion. Anecdotal evidence has little relation to fact. It soulds like this elected official is a reactionary who has bought into the misplaced sterotype.

I'll definitely be sending an email.

misanthropy
01-15-2004, 01:48 PM
GRRR!!!! :mad:

JasonSt
01-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Email sent. I hope it helps.

its_a_gas
01-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Sorry for the multitude of posts here!! I forgot to mention that Rugai's office is also telling people that two young children were attacked by a Pit Bull about a week ago, and that it happened in Chicago. I did some digging, and to my knowledge, no such thing has happened.

What the hell does she think this is going to accomplish, other than thousands of dogs losing their lives? Dog attacks involving whatever breed will continue. In the overwhelming majority of dog attacks, the dog was an unneutered male who was running loose. What the hell does that say about the owners?

I believe the Dan Ryan woods, where a woman was killed last year by two wild Pit Bulls, is in Rugai's territory, which is why she's making such a big deal of this. These dogs were not somebody's pets. They were homeless strays who had been starving. Breed bans won't stop situations like this from occurring. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that attacks, dog fighting, abuse, etc. will increase. The American Pit Bull Terrier is the most common breed of dog out there, however, how many do you see on the end of a leash? Only a small minority of them are actually pets.

You'd think when it comes to something as drastic as killing people's pets, this woman would want to do a little bit of research first.

jenzie
01-15-2004, 02:56 PM
I can't believe how stupid some people are. This is beyond shocking! You can't expect people to murder members of their family!!! :mad: :bomb:

I sent off an e-mail, with hopes that that will help some.

It's because of insane ideas like this, that my GSD/wolf mix was listed as a "Black Lab mix" and my friend has her Pit Bull registered as a "Lab/Terrier."

its_a_gas
01-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Thank you so much for sending the e-mails, everyone. Keep em coming! If you live in Chicago, sometimes it's actually better to make a phone call, but if you can do both - great!

I've already left voice mail messages and sent e-mails to both Mary Ann Smith (my alderwoman) and Virginia Rugai. Right now I'm working on getting the info on the next city council meeting, including the agenda. If any of you Chicago peeps are available and would like to join us, please do so!!!

I've got soooo much writing to do!!

leyna
01-15-2004, 04:18 PM
:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

I am so mad right now. I just heard about this a little while ago, and I couldn't believe it was true. I will never understand how some people can be so stupid and ignorant. There is no way this is going to happen. I will be sending out e-mails and possibly some phone calls very soon.

leyna
01-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Great, I just find out that that idiot herself is my alderwoman. :brood: