PDA

View Full Version : My Story

beane
01-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Well, I figure I can go ahead and give my "vegan story".

I became vegetarian about 5 and a half years ago. I had just finished my first year of college, and had just met a vegetarian for the first time. The idea of meat hadn't really sat well with me for a few years, but because of how I was raised, I just never questioned it. Up until meeting one, vegetarians seemed like fictional creatures like unicorns or something. After meeting a vegetarian, the whole concept became more real to me.

So, one week that summer, I noticed that I had gone the whole week without eating meat. It wasn't really deliberate, and I didn't even notice I was doing it until one day I sat down to a steak dinner, and was like, somethings different... So, while eating the steak, I did a lot of reflection. It dawned on me that I could probably live a perfectly happy life without eating meat, and if that is the case, I asked myself how I could justify taking the life of an animal for something unneccesary.

So, I decided I couldn't justify it. I finished my steak dinner, and decided to give vegetarianism a try, and never looked back. I didn't tell my family about it for a whole year, though. :) I knew I would get harrassed and grilled about by decision, and they wouldn't beleive I would stick with it. I felt it was an important decision, and I wanted to make sure I had my answers prepared before having to defend it. So I read a lot on the internet about vegetarianism, and that is also when I learned of veganism, although at first I didn't see the point in it. So, when I finally told my family, and the first response I got was "You'll never stick with it", I was thrilled to be able to say, "well, I have for a year now...".

So, anyway... After a couple years, I got curious enough about veganism, and read "Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating". Before I was done reading the book, I was vegan. It showed me that dairy and eggs are just as responsible for animal suffering as meat was. That was all I needed to know. I've now been vegan for 3 and a half years.

Since then, just by begin veg*an, I have noticed that I have inspired several people to try in, and a lot have stuck with it and inspired new veg*ans of their own. It really makes me take notice of the power of "social activism". Whether you realize it or not, you are making a huge difference just be being vegan. Hell, the first vegetarian I met never tried to convince me to be veg, but I am sure that I wouldn't have made the decision (at least, not when I did), had I never met her.

jenzie
01-06-2004, 09:11 PM
What a great story beane! Good job on being prepared when you told your family about being veg! How'd they respond when you went vegan? Hopefully well! :)

And I agree that just by being vegan, or veg at all, you're making a difference to yourself, the animals, and likely a few other folks out there too! ;)

Good to have you here, welcome to VRF!

Vegit-8
01-07-2004, 12:44 AM
What a great story. Thanks so much for sharing it.
I feel that you are absolutely right that just by being congruent with our own beliefs (when they come from a place of caring and compassion) we can help others to come to similar conclusions.
Welcome to the VRF. :)
By the way, like jenzie I too am curious as to how your family took your going vegan.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

beane
01-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Honestly, I think my family was barely aware of the difference when I went vegan. They had more or less already decided they didn't understand me. I really haven't gotten much support from my family regarding my veganism and interest in animal rights, but that's alright. I never really expected any. My family and I aren't terribly close anymore, and I don't really spend a lot of time at home.

I got a decent amount of support from my friends, although a lot of them antagonized me about it for a long time. :(

jenzie
01-07-2004, 02:14 AM
I'm glad you didn't get any grief from your family after going vegan, but I am sorry to hear you were given a hard time by friends. :umm: Hopefully they've learned to be more understanding with the passing of time! :)

FalafelsRule
01-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Yeah great story, glad to see your transition went smoothly.

its_a_gas
01-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Great story. I know exactly what you mean about inspiring others. I wanted to go vegan for quite some time, but was having a difficult enough time going 100% vegetarian - until I met my first vegan friend. Knowing a real live vegan just made it more "real" for me, and totally inspired me to make the change.

That does suck that you've experience a bit of antagonism, but it sounds like you've received somewhat of a positive response. :)

Welcome!

ajveg
01-12-2004, 10:18 PM
welcome loved the story i never thought of it it that light us all being kinda of role models for others in a sense, but your right. My best friend was a ovo lacto vegetarian and watching her it just seemed like the next resonable step for me- i hope i can do the same. what a cool vegan story:p

katiesun
01-15-2004, 11:44 AM
What a powerful message our example can send to someone else. I loved your story, thanks for sharing it. We usually think "well, I'm just me...who even looks at what I do?" But they DO, and we CAN make a difference just by being us and doing the thing that we love. People do watch and they do learn from us. Thanks! Katie:D