PDA

View Full Version : Joaquin Phoenix

808veggie
01-06-2004, 08:15 PM
He is a dream vegan! *drool* :smitten:

Emiloid
01-07-2004, 10:04 PM
I second that drool and raise you a River! (Well, he was veggie anyway....) Their whole family rocks!

walrus
11-09-2004, 02:24 AM
He is a dream vegan! *drool* :smitten:
Oh, he's just lovely, ain't he? I'm going to meet him someday. Honest!

JasperKat
03-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Just found out he was veg here (http://cowsarecool.com/feature-joaquinwalks.asp), and I have to admit, it ups his attractivness. I never thought he was that good looking but now....:kiss:

Compassion is sexy!

-JK

ohboysoy
03-26-2006, 10:35 PM
He is hot hot hot with some hot on the side. I don't know what it was about him in Walk The Line...the black, the hair, the singing. But after I saw it I went and looked up as much as I could about him and found out he was vegan. I now have a bonafide crush and my boyfriend makes fun of me.

attackferret
03-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Compassion is sexy!hear, hear

MissLovely
03-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I second that drool and raise you a River! (Well, he was veggie anyway....) Their whole family rocks!
I think they lived in my home town for a very brief period. I'll ask my sister.

YogaChick
03-27-2006, 12:27 AM
who is it? Im outta the loop...

Emiloid
03-27-2006, 12:19 PM
YogaChick, MissLovely and I are referring to the Phoenix Phamily. Ah yes, River Phoenix... the Joaquin Phoenix of my generation. :p He's one of the only stars who ever made me drool a bit.

walrus
03-27-2006, 12:37 PM
I recently asked Joaquin for a date. I'll let you know if it works out.

apples_for_eva
03-27-2006, 01:59 PM
wow, he just got so much hotter with this newfound information... haven't seen walk the line yet, but i can't wait!

grog
03-27-2006, 03:13 PM
groupies :rolleyes: :p

lanaaa_x
04-19-2007, 02:42 PM
i well love joaquin!!!

superwife
04-19-2007, 02:49 PM
mmmmmmmm

http://www.helpinganimals.com/photos/180-joaquin_letter.jpg

grog
04-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Joaquin, we respect your beliefs because you are attractive. I just thought you should know.

Chijou_no_seiza
04-19-2007, 02:55 PM
lol I think he's a good actor.

And I like he's vegan! :thumbsup:

MercurialMary
04-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Joaquin, we respect your beliefs because you are attractive. I just thought you should know.

+1 :p

veganshawn
04-20-2007, 12:10 AM
I would respect him more if he didn't smoke. And he was raised vegan along with his brothers and sisters. (just in case some of you didn't know that).

seitanicvegan
04-20-2007, 01:31 AM

Actually, I was in love with him long before I ever found out he was vegan. I saw his performance in Gladiator and that did it for me. The man is an incredible actor. Being vegan just ups the ante on his drool worthiness.

neverfeltbetter
04-20-2007, 03:46 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Emiloid
04-20-2007, 08:53 PM
I would respect him more if he didn't smoke. And he was raised vegan along with his brothers and sisters. (just in case some of you didn't know that).

:drool: River

River Phoenix is the Joaquin Phoenix of my generation. I grew up knowing Joaquin as Leaf Phoenix, by the way.... :p Things change. People change.

veganshawn
04-20-2007, 09:23 PM
:drool: River

River Phoenix is the Joaquin Phoenix of my generation. I grew up knowing Joaquin as Leaf Phoenix, by the way.... :p Things change. People change.

His family proof that vegan kids will stay vegan and go on to teach others to be vegan if they are raised right.

lanaaa_x
04-21-2007, 01:41 PM
I love him for his acting, veganism, sexiness:drool: and (I know this is not really a grounded reason) but because his sun and moon and mars are in the same astrological signs as mine :happy:

CountAgranoff
04-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Look I respect Joaquin but Dream vegan's don't have to check into AA or are addicted to cigerettes...

-David

CountAgranoff
04-25-2007, 09:19 PM
His family proof that vegan kids will stay vegan and go on to teach others to be vegan if they are raised right.

One of his sisters sold out being vegan...just so you know. but yeah most of the family stayed vegan.

-David

mamaquilla
04-25-2007, 09:20 PM
so dream vegans are not human, with issues and problems like the rest of us?:blank:

Miso Vegan
04-25-2007, 10:58 PM
MamaQ, I think that the Count's point is that that just makes him a real vegan. The term "Dream" implies perfection; addictions imply the opposite.

But as long as he's unattainable for most of us "real vegans" he'll always be a Dream Vegan in the "in your dreams only" sense! :)

nigel
04-26-2007, 01:00 AM

I don't think River was raised too right! Last words: "dude, I think I'm dying!":p From what I've read, his folks flitted from cult/religion to cult/religion like I change my underwear (which is frequent, btw).

No disrespect intended, though. He was a smart guy and a great actor, and I'm sure he had a sense of humor. He was great in "Sneakers."

MissLovely
04-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah, their family were members of Children of God (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_God), along with Rose McGowan.
They lived in my hometown breifly, and I remember playing with them.

ETA: I believe that even Jeebus was a sinner just like man, no? Joaquin, you retain dream status. :p

veganshawn
04-28-2007, 09:43 AM
I don't think River was raised too right! Last words: "dude, I think I'm dying!":p From what I've read, his folks flitted from cult/religion to cult/religion like I change my underwear (which is frequent, btw).

No disrespect intended, though. He was a smart guy and a great actor, and I'm sure he had a sense of humor. He was great in "Sneakers."

People make mistakes, but the fact that only one of them out of 7 sold out being vegan I think says a lot. And all religions are cults, and I think most people where raised in one some what so I am not going to hold that against him.

Mattitude
04-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Yeah, their family were members of Children of God (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_God), along with Rose McGowan.
They lived in my hometown breifly, and I remember playing with them.

ETA: I believe that even Jeebus was a sinner just like man, no? Joaquin, you retain dream status. :p

OK I admit Joaquin is a good actor and its nice to see him support veganism, but I wouldn't "drool" over him (or any guy for that matter).

Now Rose McGowan is a different story :drool: :kiss:

MissLovely
04-28-2007, 04:41 PM
OK I admit Joaquin is a good actor and its nice to see him support veganism, but I wouldn't "drool" over him (or any guy for that matter).

Now Rose McGowan is a different story :drool: :kiss:

I know her from a completely different set of curcumstances.

LesMiserablesLove
04-28-2007, 05:00 PM
I was about to boast here about how Joaquin converted Bryce Dallas Howard (Village co-star) to veganism. But then I read that she is now eating vegetarian because she is pregnant. :( Where is he to tell her about vegan pregnancies?

CountAgranoff
04-30-2007, 07:15 PM

Since I've met Heart Phoenix(the mom) and one of her best friends is a close friend of my wife and I can say that is not true. They dabbled in stuff a long time ago, but not in a long time.

And my point was someone being a "Dream vegan" to me would not be very human really.

-David

calendar
05-12-2007, 04:14 PM
I just saw "Walk the Line." I think he is extremely talented (along with Reese) and I love him forever for his veganism.

But he is not a beautiful man. I don't see the visual appeal-- for me it is more mental. Knowing something about his values makes him seem more beautiful.

Having said that I really liked the dark eyes and hair for the role!

Jessica
05-12-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't find him physically attractive.

I'm not a johnny cash fan, so maybe that's why I didn't find Walk the Line a fantastic movie. That and he wasn't exactly a respectable man. I don't get it. I digress.

veganshawn
05-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I don't find him physically attractive.

I'm not a johnny cash fan, so maybe that's why I didn't find Walk the Line a fantastic movie. That and he wasn't exactly a respectable man. I don't get it. I digress.

Wait are you saying Johnny Cash or Joaquin is respectable? Because if you are talking about Johnny, you might want to check your facts a little, and if you are going off a movie that was only a small part of his life you really need to. If you are talking about Joaquin, what did he do that you found so bad?

And I will admit to being a huge Johnny Cash fan a little biased.

Miso Vegan
05-14-2007, 01:20 AM
veganshawn, I have no idea about Mr. Cash, other than his songs. I have not seen the movie. So I'm not being tongue-in-cheek when I ask you: what about him is respectable? That is, explain why you're such a fan.

veganshawn
05-14-2007, 11:41 PM
veganshawn, I have no idea about Mr. Cash, other than his songs. I have not seen the movie. So I'm not being tongue-in-cheek when I ask you: what about him is respectable? That is, explain why you're such a fan.

I will let his words speak for themselves. I will just say if someone was basing their dislike for him on a movie that is only partly true and only about a small part of his life then I feel bad for them missing out on what a great man he really was. He always took the side of the underdog, and was a misfit in Country Music which isn't always a bastion of tolerance. Anyway here are two songs which I find amazing though he has many great songs.

Man in Black
Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
And things need changin' everywhere you go,
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Ballard of Ira Hayes

CHORUS:
Call him drunken Ira Hayes
He won't answer anymore
Not the whiskey drinkin' Indian
Nor the Marine that went to war

Gather round me people there's a story I would tell
About a brave young Indian you should remember well
From the land of the Pima Indian
A proud and noble band
Who farmed the Phoenix valley in Arizona land

Down the ditches for a thousand years
The water grew Ira's peoples' crops
'Till the white man stole the water rights
And the sparklin' water stopped

Now Ira's folks were hungry
And their land grew crops of weeds
When war came, Ira volunteered
And forgot the white man's greed

CHORUS:
He won't answer anymore

There they battled up Iwo Jima's hill,
Two hundred and fifty men
But only twenty-seven lived to walk back down again

And when the fight was over
And when Old Glory raised
Among the men who held it high
Was the Indian, Ira Hayes

CHORUS:
He won't answer anymore

Ira returned a hero
Celebrated through the land
He was wined and speeched and honored; Everybody shook his hand

But he was just a Pima Indian
No water, no crops, no chance
At home nobody cared what Ira'd done
And when did the Indians dance

CHORUS:
He won't answer anymore

Then Ira started drinkin' hard;
Jail was often his home
They'd let him raise the flag and lower it
like you'd throw a dog a bone!

He died drunk one mornin'
Alone in the land he fought to save
Two inches of water in a lonely ditch
Was a grave for Ira Hayes

CHORUS:
He won't answer anymore

Yeah, call him drunken Ira Hayes
But his land is just as dry
And his ghost is lyin' thirsty
In the ditch where Ira died

neverfeltbetter
05-24-2007, 05:05 PM
i really liked him in 'quills' with kate winslet and geoffrey rush. that was the first movie i saw of his, i think.

tamaramcfarland
06-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Hey neverfeltbetter, I recognize you!

And heck yeah, Joaquin is super duper sexy!!! He was so hot in Walk the Line I couldn't stop thinking about him for weeks. My hubby is a firefighter and I was just visiting him at the station and they have a poster up with Joaquin in 'Ladder 49' and I was tempted to steal it. :)

I'm not normally the type to have celebrity crushes, I think it has a LOT to do with his veganism.

Tamara

Hunchback
07-09-2007, 03:16 PM
I thought Leaf Phoenix was their sister. My co-worker used to rent her old house in Gainesville.

SpeakForTheTrees
07-09-2007, 03:45 PM
I don't know why Joaquin is considered a sexy vegan, he's really odd looking and not as attractive as his brother was. Personally, if veganism is going to increase any actors sexiness, it would have to be Casey Affleck, who actually is attractive to begin with, and then is a vegan on top of that!

mishka
07-09-2007, 04:31 PM
I thought Leaf Phoenix was their sister. My co-worker used to rent her old house in Gainesville.
Nah. Joaquin went by "Leaf" when he started his acting career. It matched his siblings' names.

I don't know why Joaquin is considered a sexy vegan, he's really odd looking and not as attractive as his brother was.
I think part of the attraction is, for me, his odd, unique look. I also love small facial scars, and his intense energy on-screen. He seems kinda broody, which can be strangely sexy at times.

veganshawn
07-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Leaf is his birth name.

mishka
07-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Leaf is his birth name.
Seriously? I read it was the other way around. I was misinformed :)

veganshawn
07-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Seriously? I read it was the other way around. I was misinformed :)

Nope I am wrong, you where right, I have always heard wrong.

walrus
07-15-2007, 02:47 PM
I think part of the attraction is, for me, his odd, unique look. I also love small facial scars, and his intense energy on-screen. He seems kinda broody, which can be strangely sexy at times.
i find his odd, unique look to be the most attractive part. plus, he's all broody and stuff, like you said. although, i've heard it said here and there that he's actually quite cool, even though he looks all :brood:.

SpeakForTheTrees
07-20-2007, 10:19 AM
So I saw a boy on the bus last night that resembled Joaquin Phoenix, and I would say that if this boy is an indication of anything, the Joaquin Phoenix would be very, very good look in person.

walrus
07-29-2007, 12:45 AM
omg.

i just found out that joaquin is on the honorary committee (http://farmsanctuary.org/gala/2007/honorary.htm) for the farm sanctuary gala in september. i don't know what it means, but it excites me so.

SpeakForTheTrees
07-29-2007, 02:38 AM
I dunno, but so is Hallie Kate Eisenberg and isn't that little girl's only claim to fame that she was in Pepsi commericals, like, eight years ago?

walrus
07-29-2007, 12:13 PM
I dunno, but so is Hallie Kate Eisenberg and isn't that little girl's only claim to fame that she was in Pepsi commericals, like, eight years ago?
she does activism with peta. i think someone else in her family (brother, perhaps?) does some activism, too. she was in attendance at last year's gala.