PDA

View Full Version : Vegan New Year's @ Handlebar (Chicago)

Dandelion
12-01-2003, 10:21 AM
31 December 2003.. 2100 - 0100 HR @ Handlebar 2311 w. North Ave, Chicago

Vegan New Year's @ Handlebar...

Put on your party hat! This year, Handlebar will be hosting Chicago's first ever 100% vegan New Year's Eve Party, with proceeds benefitting our beloved COW (Compassion on Wheels) Video Outreach Program!

The party will be from 9p.m. -1a.m. and includes vegan appetizers, open bar, a champagne toast, party favors, and hundreds of dollars in cool door prizes. Not to mention that unbeatable Handlebar charm, and the warm feeling of knowing it's all for a good cause! It's a smoke-free environment inside; but there's an outdoor patio for smokers.

The only catch? Space is limited, and we WILL sell out! This Friday, December 5th, tickets go on sale to everyone and the ads go up all over Chicago. To make sure that you and your nearest and dearest are there to celebrate with us, buy your ticket now. The price is $65, with all proceeds going to feed the COW.

For tickets, please email PartyWithTheCow@yahoo.com, then come ring in the New Year in vegan style!! (Sorry, this event is 21+ only). Remember, purchasing tickets through the above address is the ONLY way to guarantee your reservation!

Justitia
12-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Hmm. We will have to re-think our original plan of going to the Bottle to see Har Mar Superstar! This is pretty tempting (and within walking distance from home--always a bonus!).

Come on Chicago VRFers, let's have a roll call...

jenbizagogo
12-01-2003, 11:01 AM
I've already got my ticket!

Dandelion
12-01-2003, 11:07 AM
i'm 75% there!

Vegit-8
12-01-2003, 11:51 AM
Wow! I know where I want to be on New Year's Eve. Don't see how I can make it happen though.:bawling:

May peace and joy be with you, and great new beginnings.
Vegit-8

its_a_gas
12-01-2003, 12:15 PM
I've got my ticket already. Yee haw!!!

cbrunn
12-08-2003, 09:44 PM
One more in for the laughs. I bought my ticket. I'm there 4 sure.

Dandelion
12-18-2003, 07:44 PM
Chips & salsa
Stuffed mushroom caps
Samosas
Assorted seitan finger sandwiches
Sesame noodles
*maybe* Ground nut stew w/ brown rice
Greens
Brownies

its_a_gas
12-18-2003, 09:07 PM
brownies AND samosas? That alone is worth the price of the ticket!!

Jen, at least I won't have to worry about spitting *these* brownies out in anyone's face!

Justitia
12-29-2003, 01:18 PM
Stephen and I will be there, although I think we're skipping the pre-party potluck to have a quiet dinner together.

After hearing Jen describe what she's wearing to the party, I got a new outfit to wear! Not too fancy, but definitely a notch or two above my usual attire :cool:

I don't think Stephen will be putting on anything fancier than his favorite Gap jeans!

its_a_gas
12-29-2003, 01:25 PM
If I don't shake this flu that I got hit with today, I might end up spending NYE in bed. :( :sick:

jenbizagogo
12-29-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm so excited for this little shindig!

Kelly...seriously-you better get rid of this flu!!! ;) You CANNOT stay in on NYE!!! Who will spit brownies in my eyes if you're not there????

Libby, I can't wait to see your outfit! I'm looking forward to getting all dolled up and girly-girly! :) Casey's dress sounds awesome, too!

Justitia
12-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Kelly--you MUST get better! Let me know if there's anything you need!

I ALMOST decided to wear my dress from the law firm prom, but am instead going with a skirt and--get this--a halter top! THe look is complete with back-seamed stockings and cute heels!
Yea for being girly!!!

If only I could manage to do something cute with my hair...

I love that we won't end up smelling all nasty like cigarette smoke after the party!

its_a_gas
12-31-2003, 10:25 AM
WOO HOO!!! I kicked that flu's sorry @$$!

Damn, it's weird. Monday night, I had a fever, I was sweating buckets, and I felt like I had been hit by a semi. Just two days later I feel great!

Justitia
01-02-2004, 09:38 AM
What a great party! The Chicago ladies of VRF were really reprazentin' (i.e. looking TOTALLY hott!) and it was wonderful to ring in the new year with them!

Stephen and I had such a great time talking with everyone (he was glad to finally meet the oft-talked about vegan ladies), enjoying the food and the drink! Winning a gift certificate to one of my favorite restaurants wasn't half-bad either!

How was everyone feeling yesterday??? :D

Dandelion
01-02-2004, 03:36 PM
i had a great time too!
it was so perfect that you won the lovitt gift cert!
yay!

yesterday i was in pretty bad shape throwin up all day.
it was the champagne that got me...i was rocked!
success!
:D

Originally posted by Justitia
What a great party! The Chicago ladies of VRF were really reprazentin' (i.e. looking TOTALLY hott!) and it was wonderful to ring in the new year with them!

Stephen and I had such a great time talking with everyone (he was glad to finally meet the oft-talked about vegan ladies), enjoying the food and the drink! Winning a gift certificate to one of my favorite restaurants wasn't half-bad either!

How was everyone feeling yesterday??? :D

Justitia
01-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Dandelion

yesterday i was in pretty bad shape throwin up all day.
it was the champagne that got me...i was rocked!
success!
:D

Yikes! I hope you're feeling better today!

Stephen was in bad shape too, and I felt a bit nauseous all day. I thought maybe it was the "well" quality (or not!) vokdka in my cosmo. But then again, I'm a total lightweight, so who knows? ;)

jenbizagogo
01-02-2004, 05:00 PM
It had a fabulous time as well! :)
It was so much fun hanging out with everybody and finally getting to meet Libby's boy! ;)
It didn't hurt either that I won a 5 course vegan meal and wine tasting to the fancy smancy Crofton on Wells! :D

Surprisingly I suffered from no hangover symptoms on New Year's Day, despite the fact I was mixing my alcohol in a bad way...cosmos, Three Floyds, and champagne! Good thing since I needed to be in tip-top shape for my 4th installment of Return of the King :p

Dandelion
01-02-2004, 05:09 PM
that was SO fixed!

;)

Originally posted by jenbizagogo

It didn't hurt either that I won a 5 course vegan meal and wine tasting to the fancy smancy Crofton on Wells! :D

jenbizagogo
01-02-2004, 05:20 PM
that was SO fixed!

;)

Grrr! I wish EVERYONE would stop saying that!!! :rolleyes:
It TOTALLY wasn't!

Justitia
01-02-2004, 05:30 PM
It had a fabulous time as well! :)
It was so much fun hanging out with everybody and finally getting to meet Libby's boy! ;)

Congrats to you, my dear--you snagged the best prize of the night! yay!

Stephen was thrilled to finally meet you, Kelly, and Casey. Sorry we bailed kind of early and suddenly--the nausea actually started to kick in just before our bowling conversation. :) I don't know what hit me, but I knew I had to get home before I ended up passed out on the Handlebar floor (which would have been a rock-star style happening had I had more than 1.5 drinks!)

misanthropy
01-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Pictures? :yes:

jenbizagogo
01-02-2004, 06:00 PM
My digital camera isn't working :(
I took a bunch with Casey's camera...I'll see if I can get those.
I think Dave took some...

Dandelion
01-02-2004, 06:01 PM
i took abunch but i dunno if i should post without consent...

Dandelion
01-02-2004, 06:06 PM
awww just teasin
we all know it wasn't fixed..
:)

Grrr! I wish EVERYONE would stop saying that!!! :rolleyes:
It TOTALLY wasn't!

jenbizagogo
01-02-2004, 06:54 PM
awww just teasin
we all know it wasn't fixed..
:)

Oh, I know :)
Everybody was giving me and Casey such a hard time about it!

Sunshine
01-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Yeah, the party rocked! It was so great to be able to eat all the food there without asking a million questions of what was in it!

Dave I think you should defin post photos - we'd all love to see them!

its_a_gas
01-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Sunshine
Yeah, the party rocked! It was so great to be able to eat all the food there without asking a million questions of what was in it!

Dave I think you should defin post photos - we'd all love to see them!

PICTURES! YES!!! :D

I was actually feeling just fine the next day. I had commented to Jen earlier in the evening that this was the first New Year's since I think I was in my teens that I wasn't completely hammered. I tend to celebrate a little *too* much on December 31. It's all part of my goal to start leading a healthier lifestyle.

But hey, a few here and there never hurt anyone. ;)

Dandelion
01-03-2004, 10:41 PM
the Pictures! (http://www.images.plantbasedpeople.com/nye03_04_vrf/)

Dandelion
01-03-2004, 11:00 PM
i was prolly doin fine until...
http://www.images.plantbasedpeople.com/nye03_04_vrf/thumbs/th_dscn3830.jpg

Originally posted by its_a_gas
PICTURES! YES!!! :D

I was actually feeling just fine the next day. I had commented to Jen earlier in the evening that this was the first New Year's since I think I was in my teens that I wasn't completely hammered. I tend to celebrate a little *too* much on December 31. It's all part of my goal to start leading a healthier lifestyle.

But hey, a few here and there never hurt anyone. ;)

Justitia
01-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Great pictures, Dave, but I don't think I could be any less photogenic...:confused:

misanthropy
01-04-2004, 03:54 PM
the Pictures! (http://www.images.plantbasedpeople.com/nye03_04_vrf/)

Looked like so much fun!!!!

jenzie
01-04-2004, 04:33 PM
It does indeed look like a lot of fun!! :D

Lucy
01-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Hey! I'm in here! And I did NOT give my permission! (Just kidding.)

I am pleasantly surprised that it is a decent picture of me and Marla, Davers. I am usually a horror in photos. Plus, I BARELY remember it being taken, yet I don't look too drunk. Thanks for doing a good job.

And thanks to all the organizers for putting together a really great party. I am thrilled and grateful to be part of such a big and fun community of like-minders.

P.S. "Lucy" is my cat's name and my clever alias, in case you're wondering.

Oatmeal Girl
01-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Aw, I'm jealous, after seeing the pictures! It must be so fun since you guys all know eachother! I need to head south sometime :D

Dandelion
01-08-2004, 10:57 PM
(permission) whoops!
;)

yeah i thought that was a cutie cute picture of you n marla!
my camera isn't usually so accommodating.
awesome!
it was a fun party, huh?

ps-did i miss the cake?

Originally posted by Lucy
Hey! I'm in here! And I did NOT give my permission! (Just kidding.)

I am pleasantly surprised that it is a decent picture of me and Marla, Davers. I am usually a horror in photos. Plus, I BARELY remember it being taken, yet I don't look too drunk. Thanks for doing a good job.

And thanks to all the organizers for putting together a really great party. I am thrilled and grateful to be part of such a big and fun community of like-minders.

P.S. "Lucy" is my cat's name and my clever alias, in case you're wondering.

Beanqueen
01-09-2004, 06:03 AM
pictures look good but no names? I don't know who anyone is!!! Y'all look like you're having fun though. Food looks fab too. Am hungry now!!!

Lucy
01-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Dave,
"ps-did i miss the cake?"

What cake d'you mean? or do you mean those brownies/dessert squares? If you are a dessert lover I hope you didn't miss them, because MAN were they good. Very dense and sweet with nuts, as I recall.

Dandelion
01-09-2004, 10:21 AM
nameless to protect the innocent ;)

Originally posted by Beanqueen
pictures look good but no names? I don't know who anyone is!!! Y'all look like you're having fun though. Food looks fab too. Am hungry now!!!

oh yes that's what i meant! where, when were they? I was prolly so drunky i didn't even notice. :(

Originally posted by Lucy
What cake d'you mean? or do you mean those brownies/dessert squares? If you are a dessert lover I hope you didn't miss them, because MAN were they good. Very dense and sweet with nuts, as I recall.

Lucy
01-09-2004, 10:57 AM
The Handlebar put them out on trays in back, where the dinner food had been. I don't remember when it was, but probably around 11. If you had been swigging the J. Roget from the bottle *before* that, I can understand why you missed it!

If it makes you feel any better, I had one and my friend snagged me another, but I wasn't feeling that well and couldn't eat it; I was going to save it for later, but before I could put it in my purse, it fell on the floor and rolled out of its napkin. Even *I* wouldn't eat off that floor.

I still mourn that brownie's forfeiture.

Dandelion
01-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Awwww poor poor brownie!
...lessee, 11:00 they did the raffle.
11:20 i drank more beer...
next thing i remember is glasses of champagne being where the food had once been. i musta missed the brownie window :(. I was having such a good time seems i was just barely able to drink, eat and meet before i was out on the street again.

Lucy
01-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Eat/Meet/Street--pretty quick sequence of events, there, Mr. Sesame Street. :-)

I know what you mean, though. Sometime after 12, my friend suggested we leave, and it wasn't until we had walked 4 blocks down North Ave. that I realized I wasn't ready to go! I was a little tipsy on champers, though, and didn't have time to process her suggestion before I agreed to it. Maybe next year I'll do better.

cbrunn
01-09-2004, 07:00 PM
The brownies will make another appearance. Wait.. I think I see on coming now. Oh no. It was just a fly.

Lucy
01-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Whatcha talking about, Mr. B? Do you have an inside line on the brownies somehow, HmmMM?

cbrunn
01-12-2004, 06:46 PM
I might be able to reproduce the brownies! Or something just as good! When Handlebar has the vegan chocolate torte, it's a very decadent end to a trip over that way!

Dandelion
01-12-2004, 06:52 PM
You heard it here folks... he's gonna make us ALL brownies!
Awww thanks cbrunn, yer the best!
:heart:

Originally posted by cbrunn
I might be able to reproduce the brownies!

cbrunn
01-12-2004, 06:57 PM
they, or some of their relatives, may appear at the next benefit party!

Sunshine
01-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Oh man, I missed the brownies too:( ........ there was the dinner food and the next thing I looked there was champagne - well I guess that means I was having a lot of fun if I didn't even notice brownies! .....guess I'll just have to show at the next shindig to try them!

Dandelion
01-13-2004, 03:03 PM
You meant Aunt & Uncle Brownie will be there with Cousin Brownies?

Originally posted by cbrunn
they, or some of their relatives, may appear at the next benefit party!

that's exactly how i 'member it too. in fact i think we were distracting each other during the Brownie Window (henceforth referred to as such). Next time we should have something like a blue kmart light go off to notify partygoers of the availabilty of Vegan Treats. Hear that Cbrunn? ;) Or is the Snooze You Lose rule in effect? In which case you'll have a flock of circling vegans around the food area.

Originally posted by Sunshine
Oh man, I missed the brownies too:( ........ there was the dinner food and the next thing I looked there was champagne - well I guess that means I was having a lot of fun if I didn't even notice brownies! .....guess I'll just have to show at the next shindig to try them!

herbi
01-13-2004, 03:34 PM
you better believe that if there are Brownies at the V-Day Shindig (yay! I'll be there! woohoo! :D) that I will not miss them!!!

mmmmm.... brownies.... :smitten:
:thinking: