PDA

View Full Version : visiting Orlando

Velvet Lamb
11-25-2003, 07:09 PM
OK. Thrust and I are off to Orlando Florida in December. We are going to hit Disney and possibly NASA. But, what else is there to do? Any locals out there with tips? Cool parts of downtown orlando to shop, and eat? Galleries? Beaches? Stuff?

Also, how warm is it in December? Like swimming in the ocean warm? Or light jacket warm?

anything would help.. we arrive on the 14 of december.

thanks!
VL

dviolet
11-29-2003, 09:55 AM
I am a native Floridian, so I have a little insight into Orlando, even though I don't live there anymore.

If you are staying on International Drive, there are a few restaurants that could accommodate you.

Passage To India Restaurant
5532 International Drive
I haven't been here, but they advertise vegetarian. Most Indian restaurants have a few things for vegans.

Bahama Breeze
8849 International Drive
I only had one dish here, but it was great. It is a very meaty place, as is most of Orlando, but the Grilled Vegetable Sandwich without the cheese is delicious! I think they also had a pasta dish that was vegan. Their drinks are good too, and it's a really nice atmosphere.

There was also a little Kosher restaurant inside a strip mall on I-Drive when I was there about a year ago. I'm not sure if it's still there, but they had some vegan options: hummus, falafel, tabouli, etc.

Off the beaten path, near downtown, there is an all-veg Chinese place. I went there once. It was OK, not great, but definitely good for vegans.
Garden Café 810 W. Colonial Dr.

As for things to do, I'm so jaded so it's hard to say. The highlights for me are Universal Studios because they have some good rides and for nightlife, maybe Pleasure Island. It's Disney's adult park, consisting of a dozen or so nightclubs, each with its different style of music. If you go there, don't miss the comedy club. They have some of the funniest improv there. Once you get to Orlando, you will hemmorage money if you want to do anything. Epcot was nice when I was a kid, but I'm not sure how it would stand up now.

It probably won't be warm enough to swim, but it really depends. Floridians don't go to the beach after October. But I saw many Canadians there in January. We did have some fluke Decembers where it go into the 80's, but usually it's in the 60's in December. I do remember wearing shorts plenty of Christmas days. You'll have to play it by ear, but bring a light jacket and a swimsuit - just in case.

If you are fortunate enough to get nice weather, the best beach near Orlando is Cocoa Beach. It's about an hour drive or so. It's one of my favorite beaches in FL, and it's right near NASA/Cape Canaveral.

I hope this helps! Have fun.

Velvet Lamb
12-12-2003, 11:08 AM
We really appreciate the advice!! He are heading out tomorrow and are so excited. Thanks for the help again,
VL