PDA

View Full Version : Pretzels!

lotus_blue
11-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Just an FYI....

I used to looooove those big soft pretzels that you can get at just about any shopping mall in middle America. Well just when I thought I'd never be able to enjoy another one, I noticed a PretzelMaker store near my office. I emailed their corporate office inquiring if their pretzels are vegan.....And they are!!! They have several toppings, most of which are, of course, not vegan, but their classic pretzel with salt is entirely vegan. Yippeeee!:silly:

jenzie
11-25-2003, 02:12 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that info! :D

I was at a ballgame a few months ago and really wanted one of those pretzels, but held off because I didn't know whether they were vegan or not (and the counter girl was beyond clueless).

Next baseball season it's on! ;) :p

Sunshine
04-18-2005, 09:54 PM
The hubby and I were out eating at a bar/restaurant near our house tonight and they had a plate of big soft pretzels on the menu for an appetizer and two tables near us had them and they looked delicious. So we ordered some. Well the owner came out to talk to us and said that the waitress had said we were vegan so we didn't want the cheese pretzels, just the plain and he said he wanted to inform us that the pretzels were made with lard! Ugh! Yuck! Lard! Gross! I almost puked! I have made soft pretzels myself a few times and my recipe is from an old German cookbook and it is a completely vegan recipe and the ones you buy in the frozen food section of the supermarket are also vegan so I would never have thought that someone would make them with lard. Beware! Ick!

KKB
04-18-2005, 10:07 PM
the biggie pretzels themselves are generally animal-free but if you go to a stand in the city or any ball game, be wary of the 'gloss' they brush on ... some vendors use butter or other animal-derived substances, and some veg. like margarine-ish stuff. the best, in my opinion, is when they're not pre-coated (except for *a little* salt) and come with mustard for dippin :happy:

VeganXing
04-19-2005, 12:30 AM
Be honest now, the pretzel is just a vehicle for the mustard. Just like the hotdogs I used to get when I went to auctions with my mom were just something to cover with onions. (and mustard)

Tofuy
04-19-2005, 08:23 AM
The Kanish! What About The Kanish!!!!

trichaos
04-19-2005, 08:36 AM
These pretzels are making me thirsty. :p

VeganXing
04-19-2005, 10:31 AM
No, no.

These pretzels. . . are making me THIRSTY!

MissLovely
04-19-2005, 11:36 AM
We have a hot dog stand here in Portland that has veggie dogs. Mmm. Which is most definitely a vehicle for mustard. And sourkraut. Hey, you up there, Sunshine, are you going to share that recipe or what!

stegan
04-19-2005, 11:52 AM
We have a hot dog stand here in Portland that has veggie dogs. Mmm. Which is most definitely a vehicle for mustard. And sourkraut. Hey, you up there, Sunshine, are you going to share that recipe or what!

drooooool... And me with a pack of tofu pups sitting in the fridge at home. Hmm....

diginixy
04-19-2005, 02:28 PM
ahhh don't we all just love Seinfeld :D

ohbugs
04-20-2005, 11:08 AM
I wrote Auntie Anne's to find out if their pretzels are vegan. The response was very prompt, friendly, and helpful. See below.

Thank you for your interest in Auntie Anne's Hand-Rolled Soft Pretzel products. We welcome and appreciate the input from our customers so that we may continually improve our system and respond to their needs and suggestions.

In response to your question about vegan/vegetarians, the pretzel mix does not contain any ingredients from animal, dairy or egg sources; however, there are other factors to consider. Most of the dips, some of the toppings (i.e., parmesan herb, sour cream & onion), Mocha Dutch Ice, Dutch Treat products, plus the pretzels that are dipped in butter would contain ingredients that would be from animal sources (primarily milk or dairy related). Overall, though, there are several of our pretzels that you can enjoy (Original, Whole Wheat, Cinnamon Sugar, Garlic, Jalapeno, Glazin' Raisin, etc.) that would not contain any ingredients from animal sources provided that they are requested without butter. A secondary alternative with consumers in a situation as yours would be to use one of our At Home Pretzel Kits (available in most stores). This product allows you, the consumer, to prepare the product under your own control, in the privacy of your house, and still have the enjoyment of the product. The ingredients for this product are listed on the side of the package and does not contain any ingredients from animal sources.

Once again, thank you for you interest in Auntie Anne's products, and if you have any other questions or comments, please contact us. Have a great day!!

Mason
04-20-2005, 05:09 PM
A secondary alternative with consumers in a situation as yours would be to use one of our At Home Pretzel Kits (available in most stores). This product allows you, the consumer, to prepare the product under your own control, in the privacy of your house, and still have the enjoyment of the product.Whoa. What are people doing with these pretzels!?

trichaos
04-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Whoa. What are people doing with these pretzels!?
must be pretzel rods they're making. :happy:

ohbugs
04-20-2005, 10:06 PM
I think they make the home kits primarily so people can try their hand at the patented "flip the dough just so and watch it bend and twist itself into the perfect pretzel shape" trick.

Or to make pretzel rods. One of the two. :p

KKB
04-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Pretzel RODS aside, I find this to be most exciting...

Overall, though, there are several of our pretzels that you can enjoy (Original, Whole Wheat, Cinnamon Sugar, Garlic, Jalapeno, Glazin' Raisin, etc.) that would not contain any ingredients from animal sources provided that they are requested without butter.

i always assumed that all establishments in a mall foodcourt would automatically coat their food with something animal
(esp. in the midwest :p )
now that i know differently, i'm making it a point to try the jalapeno version, actually they all sound good! mmmmm, carbs! :D