PDA

View Full Version : my brain was manipulated by my body

JasonSt
11-10-2003, 12:14 PM
I first heard of veganism when I was about 18. My best friend, Leah, decided to be vegan. We never discussed her reasons, but I respected her, and just assumed it was a good thing to do.

A few years later, I realized, after missing classes and final exams, that I was lactose intolerant. I gave up dairy no problem. I have no problem listening to what my body is telling me. Around that same time, I had a bowl of chili that my friend's grandma made for us and it consisted completely of ground beef. I probably ingested a full pound (.45 kg) of the stuff. I felt so disgusting for the next few days. I dropped beef from my diet.

In 1999, I was set to leave for Europe for a two-week holiday. I decided that I wouldn't be eating any meat while I was there because I had some neurotic notion that I was going to a third-world continent and everything would be spoiled. (I only ate bread and tea every day that I was there). When I came back, I felt really good and decided to stick with it (the no meat thing, not the diet of tea and bread).

I later fell in love with bees (and all insects, save for the carnivorous centipede, misquitos and black flies, you in the Adirondacks know what I'm talking about) and refused to eat honey. Through research, I became vegan, giving up wool, silk, anything that exploited/killed animals.

Of course, for most of the 3.5 years since, I've felt like an alien around my friends and family. Other views also contribute to that (I'm a liberal, I'm anti-cars - RIDE A BIKE!!, I'm an atheist) but now, I'm comfortable around anyone. My good friend and roommate is vegan. My 19 year old brother also lives with us and has decided to become vegetarian, which further confirms my belief that he is the coolest person in the world.

I feel liberated by my decision to be vegan. I work at a natural foods store and hear horror stories everyday about people suffering for most of their lives because they ate meat/dairy/poison under the belief that they were leading a healthy life.

I try to be a positive influence type vegan, but I can't help but feel rage and despair when I think of what happens to animals, or when I'm having a conversation with loved ones and they are oblivious to their contribution to that suffering.

Then again, I'm just some dude with some marginalized ideas and I might be wrong.

Peace,
Jason

vforvendetta
11-10-2003, 06:40 PM
i really liked your story, fellow WFM TM...and i am glad to see a heads up from a fellow biker...hopefully the people where you are drive better than they do down here in south florida! scary! you know how those aventura folk will just not even think twice about mowing you down if you are in the way of their jag or lexus SUV...

:mad:

Vegit-8
11-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Welcome JasonSt.
I went to the UK for a holiday when I was in my graduation year at high school. I was not vegetarian yet at that time, but I did try a special vegetarian diet while I was there. I consisted of ale and beer, tea, and Devonshire or clotted cream with scones and strawberry preserves.
I think I cut several years of my life. :) I also gained weight for the first and only time in my life that was not attributable to natural growth or working out.
I am sure glad I got passed my addiction to dairy products...eventually.
Hope you like it here on VRF.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

JasonSt
11-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Thanks for kind welcome, you all.

I tried to bike down in So. Florida and failed miserably. I was staying in Fort Lauderdale and tried biking to work (at Aventura) but I'd almost get killed everytime I went by the airport on Federal. A1A was the only place I felt moderately comfortable riding. I hope you find it to be better.

Jason

jenzie
11-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Hey Jason!

I enjoyed your story, and am glad to hear that you've grown to become comfortable with your beliefs, no matter who you happen to be around! :D

Welcome!!

Dandelion
11-12-2003, 12:32 AM
...and you came to veganism backwards, giving up honey first! ;)
welcome...glad to have ya 'round!

its_a_gas
11-15-2003, 12:51 AM
Welcome, Jason!! :)