PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans restaurants???

petaske'kwe'
11-04-2003, 01:11 PM
I'm heading to New Orleans for a week for a conference. Does anyone know of any good vegan places? Last time I was there I had a really hard time finding enough to eat since even the beans and rice had sausage in them. I found a few listings on veg dining websites but if any of you have been to any places you would recommend then please please help me out :D

dviolet
11-20-2003, 09:01 PM
Oh, man. I feel your pain. I never had such a hard time eating as I did in New Orleans. They put seafood in EVERYTHING. I heard that there is one veggie place in French quarters, but I was not lucky enough to stumble on it when I visited.

Dandelion
11-20-2003, 11:20 PM
Homer J. knows!
There used to be Old Dog New Trick but i dunno if they still exist. I think i remember subsisting on poboys and fried pickles. Of course i was a cheesetarian so it was a cheese poboy.

My advice...pack a BIG cooler ;)

Homer J.
11-21-2003, 10:53 AM
I'm afraid I concur with Dawn and Dave ... New Orleans is not a place for vegans :-( It's been 6 years since I lived there, and things might have changed.
A few notes that might help, though:
There's the Gumbo shop in the heart of the French Quarter (can't miss it) - it had one vegetarian gumbo. I do not remember if it was vegan.
Out in Metairie (off Veteran's Highway), there's a Mexican place called Sancho's, or Pablo's or some such. It used to have a buffet, and you stood in a line, and waited while they put together your food in front of you (sorta like Chipotle). They were happy to make anything vegetarian for me, and I'm sure they can make them vegan too.
I loved Old Dog New Tricks, but the place was tiny, and not very busy, so I'm not sure if it's still open.
The neighborhood around Loyola is quite progressive and liberal, and vegan-friendly restaurants might have opened up.
There were at least 4 Indian restaurants in the burbs (Metairie/Kenner), and good vegan food too.
There's a food court adjoining the Superdome, where I found some decent vegan options on weekdays.
Hope this helps!

JasperKat
04-01-2005, 08:19 AM
One of the awesomest things about planning this wedding is daydreaming about the honeymoon. My fiance (eek, there it is again!) has a friend who owns a time share in the French Quarter, and he's offered it to us. I found the old thread about New Orleans veg dining, but I'm hoping people have new expiriences to share, or that new members might have some new info.

The cool thing is, the condo has a full kitchen, so if nothing else I can make our dinners there. I would like to have some nice nights out, though.

Thanks guys!

-JK

FormerlyGod
11-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi! Does anyone live in or around New Orleans? I need to know if there are any vegan restaurants there. Anyone?