PDA

View Full Version : Vegan low-carbing

Oatmeal Girl
10-31-2003, 12:29 PM
I recently found out that I have insulin resistance (it's not diabetes) and that a low-carb diet helps lower insulin levels in the blood. Now, there's no way that I'm going to sacrifice my beliefs or my health to completely low-carb...I don't think it's possible to follow a low carb diet as a vegan, first of all, and second, I don't need to lose weight, and carbs are important for energy, so I don't believe it's a healthy diet anyways. Regardless, I should start eating carbs moderately (I'm a bread and pasta lover! :( ) so does anyone know of any low carb vegan foods?

erasmus
10-31-2003, 12:47 PM
aren't raw fruit and vegetables low carb?

iamtheqbu
10-31-2003, 01:35 PM
I think if you focus on replacing simple carbs with complex carbs you should be OK. Try eating whole wheat spaghetti, I love it, it tastes exactly the same as samolina spaghetti only its healthier. Buy whole wheat and whole grain breads. Cut back on processed sugar (if you can eliminate it, even better). Eat lots of green leafy veggies and other raw fruits and veggies. You don't want to upset your carb/protein/fat balance too much, but increasing your protein intake by a serving a day shouldn't hurt.

Oatmeal Girl
10-31-2003, 01:59 PM
Veggies are definitely low carb, with the exeptions of peas, corn, and potatoes, but fruit is actually high carb. I know alot about this stuff, so I guess the reason I posted this thread is to find out what others think about veggie low-carbing, what they suggest, etc.

Sugar is my vice, it's going to be hard to cut back- I mainly use it in coffee and oatmeal, so if I find a substitute I like, I should be ok. The hardest thing will be to cut back on processed foods like breads, soy products, etc. Going more raw will surely help, so I'll head down that road, slowly but surely.

Dave Noisy
11-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Got this email yesterday:

Whole Grains Improve Insulin Sensitivity

Whole grains improve insulin sensitivity, according to a study appearing in
tomorrow’s American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Insulin sensitivity is a
measure of the body’s efficiency in clearing sugar from the bloodstream.
Individuals with better insulin sensitivity have reduced risk of diabetes,
heart disease, stroke, and cancer.

The Insulin Resistance and Atherosclerosis Study included 978 middle-aged
adults with either normal or impaired glucose tolerance. Participants whose
diets included the most whole-grain foods--dark breads (e.g., whole wheat,
rye, pumpernickel), bran or granola cereals, and cooked cereals--had
significantly better insulin sensitivity, compared to those who tended to
skip these foods.

This effect of whole grains appears to come mostly from their fiber and
magnesium. However, evidence suggests that the short-chain fatty acids
produced as grains are digested also contribute to the effect.

The study is not yet on Medline. Here is the reference:

Liese AD, Roach AK, Sparks KC, Marquart L, D’Agostino RB Jr., Mayer-Davis
EJ. Whole-grain intake and insulin sensitivity: the Insulin Resistance
Atherosclerosis Study. Am J Clin Nutr 2003;78:965-71.

For information about nutrition and health, please visit www.pcrm.org.

Emiloid
11-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Whole grains.... I swear I was just going to suggest that! As for sugar substitutes, I'd suggest stevia powder for your coffee and agave nectar for your oatmeal, Oatmeal Girl. They are both suitable for diabetics, so they should be good for you. Also, check out info about Glycemic Index. (http://www.diabetes.ca/Files/glycemicindex_eng.pdf)

Emiloid
11-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Oh yeah, I've seen more complete Glycemic Index lists. I think there's a good one in one of Andrew Weil's books. Wish I remembered which book....

JasonSt
11-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Have you tried the French Meadows Hemp Bread? I think it is awesome. I also think it may be relatively low in carbs (the package boasts 7g per serving-what is low?). But it is definitely whole grain. If you are near a Whole Foods Market, I am sure they carry it there, or probably at a local co-op.

http://www.frenchmeadow.com/hemp.html

Peace

Oatmeal Girl
05-26-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm going to take another crack at this. I really haven't paid any attention to carbs for the past few years (with the exception of avoiding whites/refined, of course). I think I'm going to start eating according to the Glycemic Index. First, I'm cutting out all wheat for a week, just as kind of a mini-cleanse and to get myself back into eating more raw nuts, fruits, and veggies.

Does anyone use the Glycemic Index? Any advice?

mishka
05-26-2008, 03:02 PM
I have a GI list sitting on my desk. It sounds like a good way to eat - period. I haven't tried too hard to follow it, but sometimes when I'm feeling snacky, I'll consult the list to see what food would be best to eat. I also use it as an excuse to eat as many chickpeas as I want :) They rate about a 42 on my list, which is in the "low" end. "Intermediate GI" starts at 55.

Good luck! I look forward to hearing how eating this way makes you feel!

gladcow
05-26-2008, 03:43 PM
between the husb training for submission wrestling and me eating gluten free, the adults in our house are pretty low carb. We pay a bit of attention to the GI list, but it's only one of a combination of things we consider when planning our meals. For me, I generally leave out grains altogether about half the time. the other half, I eat way too many corn chips :p

Oatmeal Girl
05-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks! I'm glad to know that there are people here who are familiar with it. When I was looking at the list, I was a little nervous about things that I "shouldn't" be eating- like dried dates, for example. I eat dates regularly for dessert, and this- http://www.glycemicindex.com/ - gives them a GI of 103! It just seems so odd to me that certain healthy foods would be considered less desirable choices...

Mishka, where did you get a paper copy of the GI?

mishka
05-27-2008, 06:04 AM
Dates are extremely high in glucose. Brendan Brazier recommends them for instant fuel for athletic activity since glucose is the most readily usable form of sugar.

The paper copy I have is just a chart I put together years ago. I can't remember where I found the info online, but I isolated it to vegan foods. I probably got the info from the GI website (http://www.glycemicindex.com/).

ETA: Here's a good list (http://www.glycemic-index-impact-diet.com/glycemic-index-list.html) that you could copy and print out.

Oatmeal Girl
05-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks! That's a really good idea to put together a customized list. I think I'll follow your lead.

I just found that agave nectar has a really low GI of 10-20, depending on the type. That surprises me! It's going to be fun researching this.

FYI- when I first read your post I was thinking of Brendan Fraser and I was like "Wow, Mishka can sure break out the obscure facts!" :silly:

mishka
05-27-2008, 09:52 AM
FYI- when I first read your post I was thinking of Brendan Fraser and I was like "Wow, Mishka can sure break out the obscure facts!" :silly:

Heh. Whenever I bring up Brendan Brazier, the boy always makes a comment like "Did he write The Thrive Diet before or after he did Monkeybone (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166276/)?"

Emiloid
05-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the links, mishka and Oatmeal Girl. My mom was recently diagnosed as borderline-diebetic, so I'm going to forward the info to her. :)

gladcow
05-27-2008, 12:47 PM
my mom was recently diagnosed as diabetic, Emiloid, and she has has success eating according to the GI list. I remember her saying specifically that agave nectar has been very gentle on her blood sugar.

Oatmeal Girl
05-27-2008, 05:25 PM
You're welcome, Emiloid. There are several books that focus on GI and diabetes- perhaps she could look into those, as well!

Emiloid
05-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks! It sounds like right now she's focussing on cutting out saturated fats, but she's going to work on GI and fiber next. Baby steps... and actually, she's already made a lot of changes, so I'm proud of her. :)

Oatmeal Girl
05-28-2008, 08:33 AM
That's really great. :) I love it when someone I care about makes positive changes to his or her diet. Congrats to your mom!

bluedawg
06-04-2008, 07:40 PM
tOtally late to the party, but the brendan fraser stuff made me ell oh ell.

Emiloid
08-17-2009, 11:55 AM
An update... my mom has now been diagnosed diabetic. I'm pretty sure she also has high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. She's overweight, but not especially so. Anyway, it's funny that I posted about a year ago that she was pre-diabetic and was making positive changes, because now I realize that those changes were very small and mostly short-lived.

My mom is definitely having some trouble adjusting her lifestyle to improve her health. :umm: I wish I lived near her so I could encourage and help her more. Then again, I know that sort of thing doesn't always work out.

Do we have a thread about family members' health issues? I wish my mom would be vegan (or even close to it), but that's really unlikely, so I feel like I'm hijacking this thread.

squirrel
08-17-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm sorry, Em. I know what it's like, my mom has a slew of health issues, and ignores all of my advice or ideas. I hope your mom comes around and takes some of the help you're offering. It's one thing if it were just dietary things we were suggesting for overall health improvement, but these are life threatening issues, and they just don't listen. And it probably hurts even more when they don't, because it seems like they don't care about being alive and healthy, as much as we care about them being alive and healthy. :(

gladcow
08-17-2009, 12:25 PM
my mom recently was diagnosed diabetic, too, Emiloid. It's a hard thing to deal with. I, being bossy, have been very firm with my mom about what she should and shouldn't eat. This is a bit easier because my mom worked in health care for so long. And, I'm lucky that she listens to me when I say "NO FAKE SUGAR!!! :angry2:. On the other hand, my dad, brother and sister are also struggling with diet related health problems and they don't even follow their doctor's orders, let alone ask for help from me :umm:

it's extremely frustrating *hugs*

VegeTexan
08-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Me too, Em.
My mom and dad have meat related diseases. I tried to help them, my mom went vegetarian for a short while, but gave it up because she found it hard to cook two meals, a meat based one for my dad, who had several strokes and is now in a wheelchair.

A lot of guilt can come with the idea that "I wish I could convert my parents." But family can be the hardest to convert. We do what we can and feel sorry that they didn't heed our advice. But then again, I never much followed my parent's advice, so why should it be the other way around? Eh?

Shion
08-26-2009, 06:03 PM
A related question, Should I stop drinking diet pop altogether?

I have PCOS, which is related to insulin resistance.

gladcow
08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't believe that aspartame or sucralose or saccharin or most sugar alcohols are good for injesting. This belief is based on the things I've read and the things I've felt.

Shion
08-26-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't believe that aspartame or sucralose or saccharin or most sugar alcohols are good for ingesting. This belief is based on the things I've read and the things I've felt.
I suppose where I am coming from is that aspartame is processed or so I have read through the liver. The liver also produces glucose. If my endocrine system is already haywire, because of a genetic disorder and I ingest foods that also irritate the liver, wouldn't that exacerbate the problem?

Oatmeal Girl
08-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Em, you can totally hijack this thread. :) Sorry about your mom- that's rough. Does she have someone near her who can help her sort out her diet?

I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with diabetes after years of me telling her to not drink seven mountain dews per day. She's not even 30. It's hard to be in the position of knowing how to help someone, but not having them listen to you...

Shion, I have PCOS, too- hence the "vegan low carbing" thread. :)

Mods, can we maybe change the title of this thread to something like "Insulin Resistance/Diabetes"?

Shion
08-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Em, you can totally hijack this thread. :) Sorry about your mom- that's rough. Does she have someone near her who can help her sort out her diet?

I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with diabetes after years of me telling her to not drink seven mountain dews per day. She's not even 30. It's hard to be in the position of knowing how to help someone, but not having them listen to you...

Shion, I have PCOS, too- hence the "vegan low carbing" thread. :)

Mods, can we maybe change the title of this thread to something like "Insulin Resistance/Diabetes"?
Insulin Resistance/Diabetes and other related diseases blow, and it is rather frustrating when almost everyone on my dad's side of the family has type 2 diabetes.

I recently had to go in for a bad ear infection and I found out despite working out everyday, I'm gaining weight, again. The doctor put me on some sort of medication for insulin resistance. So now I'm kinda panicking, I don't want to develop diabetes and I'm sick to death of gaining weight and being fine one day and completely depressed another.

I just order Dr. Barnard's book on diabetes, since both diseases have similar problems.

gladcow
08-26-2009, 07:08 PM
I suppose where I am coming from is that aspartame is processed or so I have read through the liver. The liver also produces glucose. If my endocrine system is already haywire, because of a genetic disorder and I ingest foods that also irritate the liver, wouldn't that exacerbate the problem?

I'm not a doctor, but I would say that makes sense.

Here is how I look at artificial sweeteners in general: they're not food. our bodies try to do the best they can with what we put inside ourselves. but, some things, it just cannot handle and expect to keep healthy. I've found that this is true for these kinds of heavily meddled with "foods".

I'm not familiar with PCOS and insulin resistance, but my experience with the diabetics in my family has shown me that these fake sugars do not help promote health.

steroidicalkiwi
08-27-2009, 08:58 AM
I LOVE CARBS!!!!! AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:D

sorry. random outburst

squirrel
08-27-2009, 10:28 AM
I love carbs, too, but they don't love me. :no:

steroidicalkiwi
08-27-2009, 11:17 AM
that's right, because squirrels eat nuts! :laugh: :silly:

squirrel
08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
:laugh: Good one!
I do need to eat more of those.
:thinking:

steroidicalkiwi
08-27-2009, 11:21 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00683/squirrel-ice-cream_683808n.jpg

hehe :silly:actually, i've seen squirrels eat lots of things...

squirrel
08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
OMG! :heart:
This particular squirrel eats a lot of things she shouldn't!
:laugh:

steroidicalkiwi
08-27-2009, 11:47 AM
that squirrel eats everything i crave...lucky punk. :drool: mmm ice cream