PDA

View Full Version : manchester, so much to answer for......

redlentils
02-27-2003, 11:19 AM
i used to live in manchester and have good memories of the place. i found the following list recently. purple and i still visit manchester regularly. i will post my favourite places for vegans soon.

The Greenhouse
331 Great Western Street, Rusholme, Manchester 14
Telephone : 0161-224 0730
Long established high class gourmet menu and impressive wine list. Not cheap, but worth a visit for vegetarians and carnivores alike.

Dr Livvy's (formerly the Olive Branch)
Manchester Craft Centre, Northern Quarter, Manchester 4
Telephone : 0161 832 8055
Open Tuesday-Friday 10am-5pm, Saturday 10am-4pm.
Hidden in the Craft Centre in Smithfield, accessed via Tib Street, this restaurant serves excellent lunches and refreshments in most interesting surroundings. Not licensed - special blackboard dishes daily.

Woody's
5 King Street, Delph, Oldham.
Telephone : 0457 871197
Open Tuesday to Sunday 7.30pm-11pm.
Exceptional vegetarian cuisine in a delightful old mill village in the hills behind Oldham. Elegant and luxurious setting, nouvelle cuisine, non-organic wines, and excellent sweets.

On The Eighth Day
107-111 Oxford Road, All Saints, Manchester 1.
Telephone : 0161-273 4878 & 1850.
Open Mon-Fri 10.00am-7.00pm and Saturday 10.00am-4.30pm.
Immediately opposite the Manchester Metropolitan University, this is one of Manchester's oldest of co-operative vegetarian shops and restaurants. Licenced, and offering excellent lunches and a wide range of basic and exotic vegetarian provisions in the shop adjoining. Non-smoking, disabled access. No credit cards taken. Good for vegans.

Fallen Angels
263 Upper Brook Street, Chorlton-on-Medlock,
Manchester M13.
Tel : 0161-273 4327.
Open from Tues-Fri 5.30pm-10.30pm and Saturdays from 6.00pm-11.00pm. Located behind the Manchester Royal Infirmary, this vegetarian restaurant is only open in the evenings, and has a relaxed atmosphere. Good food at a modest price, where customers may bring their own alcoholic drinks. Families welcome, no credit cards, disabled access.

Café de Femmes
Pankhurst Centre, 60-62 Nelson Street,
Manchester 13.
Telephone : 0161-274 3525.
Part of the Pankhurst Centre Museum, dedicated to the women's suffragette movement, next to the Royal Infirmary A&E Department (so its a busy side street). Excellent vegetarian food, popular with nurses from the hospital opposite. Good menu, with changing daily specials.

Greens
43 Lapwing Lane, West Didsbury, Manchester M20.
Tel: 0161-434 4259.
Open every day but closed Monday and Saturday lunchtimes. A very busy restaurant (advisable to book in advance - especially at weekends). Not licenced, but you are invited to bring your own wine (at no extra charge). Dishes of various world cuisines, with half of the menu being vegan.

redlentils
02-27-2003, 06:00 PM
purple and i went through manchester recently.we called in the cool cafe pop (http://www.cafepop.co.uk/) where we had a great vegan cooked breakfast. not healthy but delicious! :) usually we have lunch at the wonderful co-operative on the eighth day (http://www.eighth-day.co.uk/) check out this site for excellent recipes!

alternatively, one could go to the vegan, buddhist cafe, earth cafe (http://www.earthcafe.co.uk/index.htm)

if you need to buy wholefood, the best place to visit is unicorn grocery (http://www.unicorn-grocery.co.uk/)

manchester. one cool city :)

chenresig
05-18-2003, 05:17 AM
Unicorn is a wonderful store! recently under threat, it has now been saved by its customers. read about it here (http://society.guardian.co.uk/societyguardian/story/0,7843,927209,00.html)

goth-UK
05-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Nice one RED LENTILS!!! :D..I wanna
go to Manchester, real soon I hope!!!...This Summer most likely...

Thanks for the list of places to go, it ties in nicely with my visit there, presuming my willingness gets me there this year... I've never been to Manchester in my memory...(although you two have been this year already) ....So anyway maybe we can talk more about this some more if we feel necessary and like you say add more places to our overall Manchester veg*n list as we find more updates & changes etc..(and likewise for surrounding areas
too!)... It must be noted however that I always avoid eating out as a vegan, though, but I can't help that although I think you pair do don't you, but not me... However...some of these places have shops too, right(?)
...so its cool! :cool:

purplemackerel
05-19-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by VegAnaconda
It must be noted however that I always avoid eating out as a vegan, though, but I can't help that although I think you pair do don't you, but not me... However...some of these places have shops too, right(?)
...so its cool! :cool:

Hi there, if we get chance to try a vegan place then we do - it's so lovely to eat in such an environment (no, hmm I wonder what's in that? Can I have that without??? Oh, well I'll just have a baked potato with salad then...)
I do lunch with friends fairly regularly at the Blue Moon, and also the Olive Garden in Sheffield. Both are 50:50 veggie/vegan and do some fantastic vegan food.

goth-UK
05-19-2003, 05:23 AM
Thanks Purple Mackerel, I still need to reply your response in the
"London, England vegans" thread too so I'll be doing that soon. :)