PDA

View Full Version : baked ziti with mushrooms

dviolet
10-23-2003, 10:27 PM
I made a delicious baked ziti tonight, so I thought I'd share the recipe. It requires some sort of vegan mozzerella cheese. I used the Vegan Gourmet Mozzerella, which is great. VeganRella would work too.

Ingredients:
1 package of ziti pasta
1 jar of pasta sauce
1 package mushrooms
8-10 ounces shredded vegan mozzerella cheese
Ricotta (see below)

Tofu Ricotta (these are approximate - season to taste):
- 1 package firm tofu
- 1 8 oz. package of Tofutti cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons italian herbs (mixture of oregano, rosemary, basil, etc.)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of nutrional yeast
- 4 ounces sun-dried tomato (optional, but a nice addition)
- juice of 1/2 large lemon or whole small lemon
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste

Start boiling the water for the pasta. Meanwhile, prepare the tofu ricotta. Add all ingredients and blend thoroughly in a food processor. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.

Drain the pasta and put in a lasagna or casserole pan. Mix in the pasta sauce, tofu ricotta, and mushrooms. Blend until the ricotta and sauce are evenly distributed. Top with shredded vegan cheese. Cover and bake for 30-40 minutes.

gladcow
10-23-2003, 11:13 PM
YUM!

That sounds awesome! I haven't made Tofu Ricotta in awhile, so it must be time again. Gonna pick up some Vegan Gourmet at Food Fight this weekend and rawk out!:D

Wonko The Sane
10-24-2003, 10:17 AM
I have to say, this was probably the best ziti I have ever had. The Vegan Gourmet cheese is amazing. It really does melt and has a great taste. Good job, dviolet!

Obviously the sauce is a huge part of the taste, and the sauce that she uses was Barilla Green and Black Olive sauce. As a rule, I hate "jar" sauce, but this sauce is an exception. It's always good on pasta. Yum!

The best part?... There are still leftovers! WooHoo!!:D

gladcow
10-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Wonko The Sane
Obviously the sauce is a huge part of the taste, and the sauce that she uses was Barilla Green and Black Olive sauce. As a rule, I hate "jar" sauce, but this sauce is an exception. It's always good on pasta. Yum!

I love that stuff! Too bad my family doesn't:(

Emiloid
10-24-2003, 03:53 PM
That's my favorite jarred sauce as well. Yummmm. Gotta try that recipe, too.

Ariann
06-27-2009, 09:29 PM
I had this (http://www.yourveganmom.com/your_vegan_mom/2009/06/i-recognize-that-it-is-not-hearty-pasta-bake-season-and-yet-still-somehow-i-have-made-this-bubbling-casserole-twice-in-a-w.html) baked ziti for dinner last night. I used a pretty plain jarred tomato sauce - Whole Foods' classic marinara. I used the whole recipe for ricotta, which I think turned out to be more than the one cup called for by the recipe. I also added one sauteed onion and three sauteed zucchini (cut in half-moons) with red pepper, oregano, and black pepper added during the saute. It was AWESOME and really easy and absolutely would be an omni-pleaser (perhaps an omni-fooler).

kitschy.hippie
06-28-2009, 03:36 PM
That recipe for the tofu ricotta alone is drool worthy. :drool:

Thanks for sharing.