PDA

View Full Version : Dagoba Chocolate

gladcow
09-29-2003, 12:35 PM
If you haven't tried this it is sooooooo good. Organic chocolate bars made here in Oregon! They have some milk chocolate, but a large number of dark as well. If you love chocolate give it a try!

www.dagobachocolate.com

dropscone
09-29-2003, 12:44 PM
oooooooooooh. mmmmmmmmmmm :)

Where *is* a smiley with drool when you need it?

LazyGirl
09-27-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm eating a piece of the Lavender bar right now - dark chocolate, lavender, and blueberries. It's an interesting taste experience. I know that people make lavender lemonade, lavender cookies, etc., but I still can't wrap my head around the idea of lavender as an ingredient in food. It's kind of weird.

stegan
09-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Is this chocolate made by Yoda?

bluedawg
09-27-2006, 03:57 PM
i had a pizza with lavender on it once. it was interesting.

i love the dagoba lime bar, with macadamia nuts. i haven't tried the lavender bar yet because the blueberries put me off (i tend to avoid actual fruit in my chocolate).

bird
09-27-2006, 03:59 PM
I'll be the poop who says she doesn't like Dagoba. I've tried a couple of flavors and they're too 'fine' for me, if that makes sense. I don't like my chocolate to be delicate. It's definitely for a gourmand. I'm just too crass to appreciate it.

My fave chocolate bar is the mint crunch one from Tropical Source. I'm just sad that they got rid of the fun hot pink and turquoise cartoony wrapper and changed to a boring nondescript upscale design now instead. :no:

gladcow
09-27-2006, 04:02 PM
I'll chime in with my favs. I :heart: the lavendar and lime ones. My husb likes the Xocolatl. We both like the conacado (it's straight up dark and super yum). Sorry you don't like them, bird. I'll send you all the Tropical Source that comes my way, I can't stand it.

bird
09-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Awesome, we shall trade! :happy:

LazyGirl
09-28-2006, 08:33 PM
I never got a chance to decide how I felt about the lavender chocolate. After sharing a few pieces with my coworkers (it got mixed reviews), I put the rest of the bar in my purse for later. When I got home that evening, I put my purse on the coffee table and went to the back to take off my shoes and turn on my computer, as usual. By the time I got back to the living room, my purse was on the floor, the chocolate had disappeared, and the culprit was busily trying to lick the last of the evidence from the wrapper. I think he gave it two paws up. :) I'm just happy that it didn't make him sick.

MissLovely
09-28-2006, 08:45 PM
I have mon cheri, and mint in my cupboard. I look forward to my next chocolate attack. Well...actually...Kami made me HOMEMADE chocolates for my b-day, and I finished the last one (cherry) just today. They were round and it was just like getting a Sees box of chocolates. AMAZING. Anyway, can't wait to try my gadoba bars. Yay birthdays.

MissLovely
10-05-2006, 10:59 AM
I ate my yoda chocolate. The mint was not minty. The cherry was no big woop. :umm:

gladcow
10-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I ate my yoda chocolate. The mint was not minty. The cherry was no big woop. :umm:
yeah, neither one of those do it for me. I'm sorry :(

stegan
10-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Fresh off the presses:

Hershey buys organic chocolate company
The Hershey Co. purchased Dagoba Organic Chocolate of Ashland, Ore., a producer of natural and organic chocolate bars. Dagoba was founded in 2001, The Hershey Co. said in a written statement. The Hershey Co. is not disclosing terms of the deal or how much revenue it expects the company to bring in, said Kirk Seville, a spokesman for The Hershey Co. Dagoba products will still be manufactured in Ashland, Seville said. The Hershey Co. will add 40 employees with the purchase, Seville said.

bluedawg
10-19-2006, 02:20 PM
well they'd better not be pouring milk into the dark chocolate like they did with their special dark bars. :brood:

gladcow
10-19-2006, 03:34 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

mishka
10-19-2006, 03:38 PM
boo.

bird
10-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Tropical Source pwns, anyway. ;)

MissLovely
10-19-2006, 05:17 PM
I didn't like them, NEWAYZ! :p

gladcow
10-28-2009, 01:30 PM
In the course of updating their data, I spoke with the company today ("Artisan Confections", which is owned by Hershey) and they are now adding milk (less than 0.1%) to all of their dark bars. It is listed on the ingredients as such, but the FAQ on the site says they are dairy free. Customer service verified today that the dairy is added, not processing cross contamination. :brood:

to Hershey: YOU SUCK
to Dagoba's former owners: thanks for selling out, YOU SUCK :angry2:

bluedawg
10-28-2009, 01:33 PM
that is ridiculous! they totally suck. :mad:

bekah-chan
10-28-2009, 01:45 PM
EPIC FAIL.

carabdle
10-28-2009, 02:53 PM
I hate all the companies who put milk (milk fat, milk, dried milk, etc.) in dark chocolate! That makes NO sense:mad: [I just hope that Ghiradelli doesn't start putting milk in their semi-sweet chips...I LOVE their semi-sweet chips in cookies, muffins, etc.]

Dugan
10-29-2009, 08:05 AM
I wonder why? What the perceived beneficial result is?

stegan
10-29-2009, 08:21 AM
It's the Hershey way. From what I remember of the Hershey story, I believe they're part of a massive dairy farming cooperative, and therefore probably have some sort of directive to make every chocolate product they sell contain some amount of milk. Because yeah, otherwise it makes no sense.

gladcow
10-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Hershey: DOIN IT RONG SINS TEH STARRT

anybody else read Emperors of Chocolate? :silly:

vegankitty
10-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Have you guys had the Divine chocolate bars? I had drk chocolate mint and it was awesome. It's fair trade and vegan. There is a supermarket near one of my clients that has a whole chocolate mini store. I also had a sample of Dolfin brand with orange peel. Amazing but it wasn't marked fair trade.

And that sucks about Dagoba. I love the lavender one. I guess I'll go by the store and look for a new brand of lavender. (They had some but I figured why bother I k ow I like Dagoba.)

tin can
10-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Have you guys had the Divine chocolate bars?

Yes! They're good. :)

vegankitty
10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Also Green and Black now list milk as an ingredient. In their FAQs it says they haven't changed the recipe but that the milk is from cross-contamination. So is it vegan or not? I guess this is an example of obsessing over labels. Because since they added milk to the ingredients list I haven't bought it, even though it is the same as before.

tin can
10-29-2009, 12:40 PM
I talked about this before somewhere or other, if you feel like searching! IIRC, Ariann and chijou don't believe that they don't add milk intentionally. I do, but avoid the products as a rule anyway. (I didn't worry about it when I forgot and bought a jar of the hot chocolate, though.)

gladcow
10-29-2009, 02:36 PM
vegankitty, if it's on the ingredient list, it is there on purpose. if it's in the allergen statement, it could just be cross contamination.

bluedawg
10-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Also Green and Black now list milk as an ingredient. In their FAQs it says they haven't changed the recipe but that the milk is from cross-contamination. So is it vegan or not? I guess this is an example of obsessing over labels. Because since they added milk to the ingredients list I haven't bought it, even though it is the same as before.

thanks to the reminder from tin can, here's a link to where some of the discussion starts:

http://www.plantbasedpeople.com/showthread.php?p=309896&highlight=green+black%27s+milk+chocolate#post30989 6

...i feel like there was more discussion somewhere else, but i'm coming up empty.

tin can
10-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks, bluedawg! It was another discussion that I was thinking of, but of course that one's just as useful. :)

vegankitty, if it's on the ingredient list, it is there on purpose.

The company disputes this. I believe them, but I respect the fact that others don't. :cool:

vegankitty
10-29-2009, 02:57 PM
They specifically say in the FAQ that they don't add milk but that enough is in there from cross-contamination that they have put it in the ingredient list. It also says they have not changed the recipe. So it didn't used to have milk on the ingredients list, but now it does but they say it is the same recipe. Do you think they are lying?

I just buy other brands now. It is too confusing for me.

gladcow
10-29-2009, 04:33 PM
I just double checked with our in house food regulations person and if it's not part of the formula, it should not be on the ingredients list. cross contamination should only be in the allergen statement/processing statement.

Miso Vegan
10-29-2009, 11:12 PM
They specifically say in the FAQ that they don't add milk but that enough is in there from cross-contamination that they have put it in the ingredient list. It also says they have not changed the recipe. So it didn't used to have milk on the ingredients list, but now it does but they say it is the same recipe. Do you think they are lying?

My guess is that they changed factories to one that produces milk products.

I just double checked with our in house food regulations person and if it's not part of the formula, it should not be on the ingredients list. cross contamination should only be in the allergen statement/processing statement.

Or they changed the formula/were lying before/are lying now. :uhoh:

vegankitty
10-29-2009, 11:29 PM
They had an allergen warning before. That's why I thunk lying is more likely. But the whole thing is odd.