PDA

View Full Version : Allergy Sensitive Dog Food

VeganKen
09-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Okay - for those of you not in the know, my dog, who was on veggie food for over a year, developed allergies and got a very serious ear infection this summer. After literally months of drugs, ear cleanings, and lots of pain she's all better. :) Unfortunately, when I found out about the infection I freaked out about her veggie food and switched her back to a lamb and rice mix (because she never had a problem with it). I hate buying that crap every month - I feel like such a hypocrit (that's how I feel so don't take that personally) and it makes me sick that I am contributing to the slaughter of animals every meal time.

I've been checking into veggie dog foods again and found what I believe may be a good pre-packaged choice (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/dogfood.html). It's wheat, soy, and corn free. The company's not my fav but it's still a step up from what I'm doing.

Has anyone else tried this brand? Or any other allergy sensitive prepackaged dog foods? I really want a prepackaged food.

Vulpyne
09-28-2003, 09:42 AM
Hi,
I haven't tried that brand. I use a mixture of Evolution and
Natural Life veggie foods. Natural Balance looks pretty good,
though. Just make sure you get a l-carnitine supplement, since
some dogs can develop serious heart problems if they
are deficient, and I see that it isn't in the ingredients for
Natural Balance. I think Evolution is the only veggie dog
food that has it.
-Vulpyne

Originally posted by VeganKen
Okay - for those of you not in the know, my dog, who was on veggie food for over a year, developed allergies and got a very serious ear infection this summer. After literally months of drugs, ear cleanings, and lots of pain she's all better. :) Unfortunately, when I found out about the infection I freaked out about her veggie food and switched her back to a lamb and rice mix (because she never had a problem with it). I hate buying that crap every month - I feel like such a hypocrit (that's how I feel so don't take that personally) and it makes me sick that I am contributing to the slaughter of animals every meal time.

I've been checking into veggie dog foods again and found what I believe may be a good pre-packaged choice (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/dogfood.html). It's wheat, soy, and corn free. The company's not my fav but it's still a step up from what I'm doing.

Has anyone else tried this brand? Or any other allergy sensitive prepackaged dog foods? I really want a prepackaged food.

VeganKen
09-28-2003, 11:10 AM
The Natural Life is the kind that I took her off of. It contains wheat and other potential allergens. The little info that I've been able to find on Evolution doesn't say anything about allergies. So I'm assuming that it also contains wheat, corn, and/or soy.

Thanks for the heads-up on the l-carnitine supplement. I'll watch for that.

misanthropy
09-28-2003, 02:41 PM
http://www.petfoodshop.com

Evolution Dry Dog Food (dry):
Ingredients: Whole Grain Wheat Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Carrots, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Potato Product, Dehydrated Beet Molasses, Deflourinated Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt,Taurine,Arginine, DL-Methionine, Enzyme Bromelain from Pineapple Stem & Fruit, Enzyme Papain From Papaya, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Bifidum Fermentation Product, Lysine, Garlic, Choline Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate,Vitamin A Acetate,Vitamin D2 Supplement,Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide,Vitamin B-12 Supplement,Thiamin Mononitrate, Kelp Meal, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Inositol, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Zinc Methionine Complex, Copper Lysine Complex, Manganese Methionine Complex,Arachidonic Acid, Cobalt Glucoheptonate.

Evolution Dry Dog Food (canned):
INGREDIENTS: FILTERED WATER SUFFICIENT FOR PROCESSING, PEAS, POTATOES, BROWN RICE,AVOCADO, CARROTS, WHEAT GERM, OAT GROATS, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SOYBEAN OIL, BREWER’S DRIED YEAST, DL-METHIONINE,TAURINE, GUAR GUM, SEA KELP, DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (VITAMIN E),VITAMIN A ACETATE, ERGOCALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D-2), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, FERROUS SULFATE, ZINC OXIDE, MANGANESE OXIDE, NIACIN, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, COPPER OXIDE, MANGANESE SULFATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT (VITAMIN B-2),THIAMINE MONONITRATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDRO-CHLORIDE, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN,VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, SODIUM SELENATE,ARACHIDONIC ACID.

VeganKen
01-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Just an update - the little pooch is veggie again! Yeah! :)

She got an upset digestive system when I tried switching the food before. Explosively. We'll just leave it at that. :o I had tried switching her by mixing the new and old food for a week. After talking to a person at the pet store, I tried switching her over the course of three days, gradually decreasing the amount of the old food. At the end of the three days I fed her a little bit less than normal for two days and walla! Success! *knocks on wood*

Other than drinking a bit more water than normal she seems fine. Thanks for all the PM's and messages that everyone sent with encouragement. You know who you are. :)

jenzie
01-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Awesome news Ken! :D Hope everything is still going good!

VeganKen
01-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Yes, she seems fine on the new food. Thanks! :)

VeganKen
01-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Okay - spoke to soon. :( Aubrey is having the same problem with the Natural Balance vegetarian food that she had when we tried it before. Basically, she gets constipated then kind of 'explodes'. Sorry about the visual. I feel so bad for her though. She's all bloated. The carpet is also being ruined.

Now I don't really know what to do. Like I said before she tolerated the Natural Life brand veg food for a year before becoming allergic to what we think was the wheat, soy, or corn in it. It looks like all of the other prepared brands have one of these ingredients in them.

I've started her on plain rice to get her digestive track a chance to heal. But I can only do this for a few meals. I have the book "Vegetarian Dogs" that has a recipe I am thinking of trying but the book is frustrating because it lacks any information on all the supplements they recommend. Like where the heck am I suppose to buy taurine and l-carnitine? Or calcium carbonate? Also, how can I switch her over to the new food? They don't say a thing about that. Help! :huh:

Here's the modified recipe that I am going to try if I can figure out the freakin' ingredients (probably makes four meals for my size dog):

1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein - cooked? uncooked? soaked?)
2 cups rye (flour? they don't say)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup vegetable oil
100 IUs vitamin E (pill? liquid?)
1 cup finely chopped greens (they recommend steaming them)
1 finely grated carrot
1/8 tsp kelp
1 pinch salt
1/4 g or more powdered or steamed alfalfa (what's a "g"?)
1-1/4 tsp calcium carbonate (???)
20 mg of zinc - preferably amino acid-chelated (???)
Vitamin B12, 100 mcg - monthly or bi monthly
taurine - 6mg per pound of body weight (???)
l-carnitine - 11 mg per pound of body weight (???)

Mix with warm water before serving.

Excuse my French, but f*** me! :mad: If anyone can help me make heads or tails of this I would be most appreciative!!!

iamtheqbu
01-21-2004, 07:51 PM
I'm gonna try a few guesses but I'm no expert.

1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein - cooked? uncooked? soaked?)
I'm thinking that either the 'beef' stuff for humans or the dry kind that you soak yourself would work.

2 cups rye (flour? they don't say)
I think that flour is the most logical assumption as well.

100 IUs vitamin E (pill? liquid?)
Vitamin E is all the same nutritionally speaking. Buy a pill supplement for people that has a value you could easily divide up.

1/4 g or more powdered or steamed alfalfa (what's a "g"?)
A "g" is usually a gram, but why they would give it in that measurement is beyond me.

1-1/4 tsp calcium carbonate (???)
Also available in a vitamin for people.

20 mg of zinc - preferably amino acid-chelated (???)
Also available in a vitamin for people, the bottle should specify.

taurine - 6mg per pound of body weight (???)
l-carnitine - 11 mg per pound of body weight (???)
You can buy the taurine online from vegancats.com, they might also have l-carnitine, I don't remember everything they offer.

If I can convince my parents to pay an arm and a leg for a 40 lb bag of food then our family pets would all be vegan (well, except for the tarantula :p ). They are all for it otherwise.

VeganKen
01-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the attempt at translating that stupid recipe iamtqbu. I got to thinking and remembered that TVP is soy. Duh. She might be allergic to that. That book is so awful.

I checked out the vegancat.com site that you mentioned. They have a product call Vegedog that appears to have all of the suppliments in it and none of the problem ingredients (soy, wheat, corn). They also have a lentil recipe that would work. There is a pet store nearby that I think carries this stuff so I am going to go over their tomorrow and see.

They recommend switching foods slowly but I don't know if I can do that. I wonder if I just start adding it slowly to the rice for three days? I'm not sure how to do this! ARGGGGGGG!!!!

jenzie
01-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by VeganKen
Thanks for the attempt at translating that stupid recipe iamtqbu. I got to thinking and remembered that TVP is soy. Duh. She might be allergic to that. That book is so awful.

I checked out the vegancat.com site that you mentioned. They have a product call Vegedog that appears to have all of the suppliments in it and none of the problem ingredients (soy, wheat, corn). They also have a lentil recipe that would work. There is a pet store nearby that I think carries this stuff so I am going to go over their tomorrow and see.

They recommend switching foods slowly but I don't know if I can do that. I wonder if I just start adding it slowly to the rice for three days? I'm not sure how to do this! ARGGGGGGG!!!!

Oh Ken, I'm so sorry you and your little sweetie are still having to go through this!!! :( Def. check out the Vegedog, I've heard good things about that.

Under normal conditions, foods should be switched slowly to avoid upset tummies and, uh, unpleasant bowel movements. Since that's already occurring however, I really wouldn't worry about it. My precious Maddie had some serious issues with food allergies at one point too, and after four days of feeding her rice, I then fed her a mixture of rice and the new food for four days, slightly increasing the amount of food each day... and then four more days of food with a little rice sprinkled in, and then finally just her food. That worked really well for her, and my vet tells all of his patients with tummy troubles to go that route... but since I don't know the peculiars, you might want to check with your vet just in case.

Also, have you checked out Missing Link (http://www.designinghealth.com/)? It's a food supplement that might have some of the things you need to give her. Maddie did really well on it. They have a veg version, too.

Last but not least... Bissell Pet Stain & Ordor Remover is FANTASTIC for removing stains. I had light gray carpet, so you can trust me on that one. ;)

I'll keep my fingers crosses that you get this sorted out as soon as possible, and that your little one feels better soon! :)

VeganKen
01-22-2004, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the info and kind words jenzie. I will definately see if the pet store carries the Missing Link product. I know that they carry one of these types of suppliments - just can't remember which one. I am also glad to hear that you were able to switch foods by adding the new to the rice. That was one of my biggest concerns.

Yeah, I think we're way beyond stain remover here. :p We're moving up to renting a carpet cleaning machine. If that doesn't work, well, I've always wanted hardwood floors anyway! ;)

sheila
01-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Ken, the vegedog is a really good idea as it contains all the necessary nutrients that your doggie needs and you can adjust recipes around it to suit what your dog needs and still be sure it is getting all the nutrients. Vegan cats also sells a digestive enzyme for pets and it is really necessary for dogs or cats that have digestive problems. it will help with any bloating or gas problems. Jenzie's suggestion of using Missing link is really a great one, I am giving it to my 20 year old cat and it is helping her alot. Slippery Elm herb will soothe the digestive track and help with diarhea or contipation. Good Luck

VeganKen
01-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks shelia!

I called around and nobody actually carries the vegetarian Missing Link formula in town. I spoke with a person at the company today though and she was able to answer a lot of questions for me.

I am ordering the Vegedog from vegancats.com as it seems to be the only vegetarian suppliment with taurine and l-carnitine in it. They sell a six-week starter pack along with the book, "Obligate Carnivore". This book might have more info in it.

It will take about a week for the Vegedog to get here so until then I am moving forward with adding lentils and grated carrot (slowly, oh so slowly - a little snail am I ;) ) to the rice that she is currently getting. Maybe some green leafy stuff. I should probably switch her over to brown rice at some point as she's getting basmati at the moment. Lucky dog!

This has been such a flustrating experience. I really appreciate the comments. Thanks again. :)

CanineCrazy
01-22-2004, 08:33 PM
I'm glad to see Vegedog has finally added l-carnitine. A friend had 4 dogs end up with dilated cardiomyopathy after years on a Vegedog vegan diet and no l-carnitine. They were all different sizes and breeds too. It affected the pit bull the worst by far, however. It scared me right back into buying meat based dog food for my dogs, which I also hate doing. This was years ago and I hadn't looked at it since.

sheila
01-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Ken, I got my Missing Link at my natural foods store, have you checked with yours? When we think of pet supplies sometimes we don't think of the natural food stores where we by a lot of our own foods.

Best Wishes
Sheila

VeganKen
02-02-2004, 07:36 PM
Update: finally got the VegeDog and yeast and have started mixing it with the lentil and brown rice mixture that I've been feeding the monster. Actually, it's a lentil/brown rice/spinach mix to be accurate.

The yeast made it smell so good that I was tempted to try it. But then, Aub was giving me the evil eye so I quickly gave the bowl to her. ;)

I am fazing out the brown rice from her diet and following the lentil recipe that came with the VegeDog. The enzymes that I ordered weren't in the box so I've got a call in about that.

The best part of all this is that my plucky girl is FINALLY getting back to her old playful (some might say annoying) self. She's waking me up early in the morning again, wants to play all the time, runs around like a maniac outside, and challenges my authority on a daily basis - she's always had a bit of a dominance issue. I AM SO HAPPY!!! :heart:

She always slept all the time on the flesh based food.

I am also reading "Obligate Carnivore" by Jed Gillen, which is a extremely funny, eye-opening book on what and why we feed our "pets" what we do. Highly recommended to anyone who lives with animals.

sheila
02-03-2004, 09:43 AM
That is very good news Ken, it is always such a relief when they start to act like their old selves when they have been going through a bad time. I hope things stay good for you and your friend.

Sheila

jenzie
02-03-2004, 01:47 PM
That's awesome Ken!! :D *keeping my fingers crossed that everything continues to go well*

VeganKen
02-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks! :D