PDA

View Full Version : can i make rice/almond milk...

citizen_vegan
09-24-2003, 10:48 AM
does anyone know if it is possible to make rice or almond milk or even oat with my soy milk maker?? soy milk just turns on the methane for me... i have to cut way back.

crys
10-22-2003, 08:56 AM
I don't know anything about soymilk makers. I tried an almond recipe from "Fitness for Life" and I didn't like it, but I'm pretty picky when it comes to milk. It's a very simple recipe.

1/4 cup raw almonds
1 cup cold water
2 teaspoons pure maple syrup (optional)

Blanch almonds by adding them to large skillet containing half inch boiling water, allowing them to sit in water as it boils for about 30 seconds. The skins loosen noticeably. Drain and pop skins off. Place blanched almonds in blender with 1 cup cold water. Run blender at high-speed for two to three minutes until a thick milk has formed. Then you can use a sieve if you want to. If there's a lot of pulp it hasn't been blended long enough.

The way I did it was much simpler because I bought blanched almonds instead of blanching them myself. I hope this will help you.

sheila
10-22-2003, 10:11 AM
I have heard that soy milk makers can be used to make all of those milks and also soy yogurt and tofu. Check with the manufacturer of your machine. Also you can get a lot of info about using soy milk makers at Marie Oslers soy message board at vegsource they have discussed making almond and rice milk there several times.