PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Vegans?

Emiloid
09-14-2003, 12:06 AM
Hey there,

I just moved to Seattle, and I know there are a few folks here at VeganRepresent who live in or near Seattle..... Would you like to organize a meet-up? I'm in the Wallingford neighborhood. Actually, I'm on Wallingford Ave. :p Of course, I can travel almost anywhere in the area/city.

Looks like there are lots of vegan-friendly restaurants here. Yay!

Em

San
09-14-2003, 12:09 PM
I live kind of near the city of Renton, which is about 45 minutes southeast of Seattle. A meet up would be fun. There is sort of a vegan hangout downtown called the Vegan Wearhouse. I've never been there, but I think NARN (Northwest Animal Rights Network) and Vegan Mercantile both have their offices in there.

How do you like Seattle so far? Have you been to Bamboo Garden? It is absolutely the best vegan Chinese food ever. If your out and about, we also have a chain of fast food burritos called Taco del Mar. They're all over the area and have a vegan burrito on their menu.

Emiloid
09-14-2003, 12:52 PM
I love Seattle!! I haven't been to Bamboo Garden, but I will as soon as I can scrape together some money. The move kind of drained my resources. :( I have been to Mighty-O donuts and have stood outside Vegete, drooling.

It's good to know about Taco del Mar. I love burritos. Mmmmmm... burritos. Darn it, I'm drooling again!

jenzie
09-14-2003, 02:22 PM
I just got back from Seattle (apartment hunting), and sooner than later I'll be able to say, "Hey, I live in Seattle!" :D I think a meetup would be fantastic... would you guys mind waiting till the first week of October, or perhaps just doing a second one then?? :)

I think I found a place about a mile north of Greenlake... I believe it's considered Greenwood actually. Cross your fingers for me, I'll know if everything went as planned Monay night! (There were others folks interested, ah!) If that goes through, the place will be mine as of the 15th of this month, but I don't think I'll actually be moving in till the 30th/31st. ANYWHO! ;)

The vegan burritos at Taco Del Mar? YUM!! :D I can't wait to try to Bamboo Garden (I've heard great things!) and Pizza Pi over in the U District... wooo! Anyone know of any good health food stores in the area?

Emiloid
09-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by jenzie
Anyone know of any good health food stores in the area?

Hi Jenzie,

I've been going to PCC market. It's a co-op (I think) and they seem to have pretty normal prices, at least compared to what I'm used to. They have tons of vegan and organic foods/products. There's one in Greenlake, too.

I think it would be fun to wait until you're in town before organizing a "formal" meet-up. The more people the better! Maybe we could go to Bamboo Garden!!!!! YUM! We could order so many dishes, it would be great.

Em

San
09-14-2003, 07:48 PM
That would be so much fun to have a meet up! Bamboo Garden is the absolute best. They're mock meats are yummy. My mom and I went there for our first time about a month ago and we tried the sweet and sour "chicken." We were afraid that it would gross us out but it was actually quite good. It's the kind of restaurant where you order a couple of dishes and then all share. The fortunte cookies aren't vegan though. :(

Unfortunately I'm leaving for college this Friday. I'm going to WWU in Bellingham. I'll only be two hours away so I could probably come back home on a weekend there is a meetup.

Emiloid
09-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Well, I went to the Vegan Warehouse but there was nothing going on. I'll try another time, I think, since it seems to have potential. Plus, according to their website, they were not technically open today. Heh. No wonder.... Well, I had a quick look around anyway. There was a lot of vegan dogfood and catfood around in bins, a sofa, a papasan chair, and some boxes. I think there is more stuff on the second floor. It really is a warehouse! It's also a little hard to find--there is no noticeable sign outside, but luckily I had the address (1203 N. 41st St.) and recognised the door from their website: www.veganwarehouse.com. That was my little adventure for the day. Now back to unpacking.

San
09-15-2003, 12:59 AM
I've never actually been there... are you just supposed to show up and say hi? Can you go shopping there? So was the door unlocked, and did you just wander around all by your lonesome?

Emiloid
09-15-2003, 01:00 PM
The door was open, and I walked in. It sounded like someone may have been upstairs, but they didn't seem to notice or care that I was there. I didn't poke around, but I did peek around. I should have called out a hello, but I suddenly felt kinda shy.... Looks like you can buy things there, but it's not set up like a store. It's like... a warehouse. :) Maybe upstairs is different? I'll probably check it out this week.

jenzie
09-15-2003, 02:30 PM
I got the place, I got the place, I got the place!!! WOO! :D :banana:

I'm pretty jazzed! The apartment building is right off of Aurora... you turn the corner and can see the city in all of it's glory! Yay! I located the PCC right near there, and so I'm thrilled about that! And I must check out this Vegan Warehouse... sounds kinda neat. I'm wondering if you can buy stuff from the Vegan Mercantile there? Cause that'd be awesome! :)

San, no ifs ands or buts about it, you'll have to come down for a meetup! ;) I'm wondering if the actual vegan meetups through meetup happen in Seattle? Need to find that out too.

Oh, I'm just so excited! :happy:

Emiloid
10-08-2003, 12:39 AM
So Jenzie, are we neighbors yet?
Also, bad news for me: I just got laid off. :( I don't think I'll be able to go out to dinner after all, unless I find a job pretty soon.

BUT: San and Jenzie (and anyone else), you are welcome to come over for dinner. Maybe we could do a potluck? Or, we could have a meetup somewhere cheap, like Mighty-O donuts. :) After all, it's about companionship as much as food, right? Right?!??

One last thing: for those who can afford it, there is a really cool vegetarian restaurant in town called Cafe Flora: http://www.cafeflora.com/. Very yummy--all vegetarian, and lots of vegan stuff, too. It's not cheap, but is pretty reasonable for practically gourmet food. Luckily, I was able to get my boyfriend's mom to take us there when she visited a few weeks ago. A good time was had by all... especially me!

jenzie
10-13-2003, 08:52 PM
Helloooooooo neighbor! :D

Okay, so I arrived safe and sound in Seattle on the 2nd... and just today got hooked up to the 'net and whatnot. (Didn't have the funds for an internet cafe type thang in the meantime...)

And can I just say... I LOVE THIS CITY! My god, it's wonderful here! Woo!!! :D :happy:

There's a co-op about ten blocks from my place, and that spells heaven. Hee! ;) (Oh, and my place? Lovin' it!!)

After all of the moving expenses and whatnot, I'm not rolling in the dough either (sorry to hear about being laid off Emiloid! :umm: How's the job hunt going? - I need to start one myself, soon.)... so yeah, a meet-up somewhere super cheap or a dinner at home type thing sounds excellent! :)

I have to fly back to San Diego to finish some stuff up, and that means this Weds. and Thursdays (the 15th and 16th) I'll be MIA, but other than that, any time at all is fine for me! :) As soon as I get a local number, I'll send it to anyone who'd like to get a hold of me that way.

Oh, this is exciting! Yay! :D

P.S. And I soooooo missed VRF! It's good to be back!!! :D

San
10-13-2003, 09:35 PM
Aww I would love to get together with you guys over Christmas break! I'm getting my wisdom teeth out around then, so I need something to look forward to!

I've managed to hook up with the local vegans here at Western. I'm hosting a vegan pot luck in my dorm! I'm very excited. I hope people show up.

Emiloid
10-14-2003, 01:35 AM
It all sounds good to me. Good luck with your potluck, San. Jenzie, maybe this weekend (or next week) we could meet up and go to the vegan donut shop: Mighty-O Donuts! Donuts are cheap enough to splurge on. San, I'm not leaving you out by any means, but Bellingham is not exactly a stone's throw away from Seattle. At any rate, we should all definitely get together over Christmas break, if not earlier. Maybe we could have a vegan pre-Christmas dinner/potluck?

jenzie
10-19-2003, 02:30 AM
I'm so down for a Mighty-O binge! :p

And the Christmas break shebang, as well! I'm looking forward to both! :D

Em, what end of Wallingford are you on? I ask 'cause I drive past it nearly every day! ;) Anywho, my phone number isn't local yet, so the best ways to contact me are through here, or my e-mail addie. PM me if you want the e-mail addie!

Yay for vegan donuts! (I haven't yet visited the Mighty-O shop, thus far I've gotten the donuts when they've been at the PCC, so I'm all jazzed to go and check the place out!) :)

And San, hope the vegan pot luck was/is a blast! :)

Emiloid
10-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Hi Jenzie,

I'm in the lower end of Wallingford, a few blocks up from Gasworks Park. Now the stalkers will be able to find me.

I'll PM you with my address and phone number.

Em

Vegit-8
10-19-2003, 09:25 PM
OK, so Seattle seems to be turning into a vegan hotspot with all you fab VRFers piling up there, so......when and where is the big dine-out going to happen? I figure it is worth a drive down from Vancouver to meet y'all. I would be delighted to snarf down some fine vegan food and if you would like I would be happy to stay a couple of days and give a talk or two on some health/vegan stuff for them what would like to listen.

Wishing you all well, and may peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

gladcow
10-20-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Vegit-8
OK, so Seattle seems to be turning into a vegan hotspot with all you fab VRFers piling up there, so......when and where is the big dine-out going to happen? I figure it is worth a drive down from Vancouver to meet y'all. I would be delighted to snarf down some fine vegan food and if you would like I would be happy to stay a couple of days and give a talk or two on some health/vegan stuff for them what would like to listen.

Wishing you all well, and may peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8
Ooh Ooh! I don't live in Seattle, Vegit-8 but I am just a short drive away! If you end up speaking somewhere my husband and I would love to come and see you. We are both very enamored with the whole RAW thing. My husband is trying to be 50% RAW currently. We will be in Seattle Nov 21-23 but will come any time!

Emiloid
10-20-2003, 02:42 PM
I think that Nov. 21-23 sounds fine. Actually, almost any time is fine with me...

This is turning into quite an event! Vegit-8 could possibly even pick up San from Bellingham on his way down from Vancouver.... But maybe I'm getting ahead of things. :)

If people have sleeping pads/blow-up mattresses, or don't mind sleeping on the floor, I'm open to a slumber party at my place. (Well, maybe I should ask my boyfriend first.) We have a tiny second bedroom (office) if you need privacy, and a large living room if you don't care.

jenzie
10-20-2003, 03:17 PM
Oh, this is going to be so fun! :D As far as I can tell, Nov. 21-23 will work just fine for me! :)

I wonder if some of the other folks in OR would like to join in on this? It could be a whole NW deal!

Any ladies are welcome to stay at my place... one of my dogs has, er, issues... with meeting new men (what girl doesn't :p), so I wouldn't want to place that stress on her.

Em, have you thought of any cools places to eat during this? Of course Pizza Pi! ;) And maybe Bamboo Garden? Or...?

San
10-20-2003, 03:45 PM
Oooh, pick me up along the way! Bellingham is just an hour or so south of Vancouver.

gladcow
10-20-2003, 03:46 PM
Well, when I am in Seattle I always have to get a dozen Mighty-O's to help me eat my way home:p
One place my husband and I go for super special occasions (ie once every two years if we can afford it) is Cafe Ambrosia. It's definitly worth starting a savings account for.
Cafe Flora is good too.
Is Bamboo Garden the one near the Space Needle with all the faux meats?
Haven't been to Pizza Pi yet, but I'm guessing it will be a must visit next time.
:heart:
so so SO excited!:banana:

jenzie
10-20-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by gladcow
a dozen Mighty-O's

Yum! If I have it right, Em and I are going to meet up at Mighty-O's tomorrow for a donut fest. ;) Yay!

I have yet to try out Cafe Ambrosia or Cafe Flora, but I'm looking forward to it! :)

And yeah, I think you have the right place in mind with Bamboo Garden... oh, and Pizza Pi is indeed a must for ya'!

Personally, I can't wait to check out FoodFight! down there in Portland! I'm so jealous. :p

Emiloid
10-20-2003, 04:39 PM
Cafe Flora is AWSOME!!!!! I made my BF's mom take us there (after a weekend of meat restaurants), and it was the best food we had the whole time. It's a little pricey, but worth it. Probably about $25/person or so for a main dish and either wine or an appetizer. The appetizers are really, really, really good. Maybe I could start saving up. :)

Here is a link to the menu (http://www.cafeflora.com/din.htm).

Sadly, the Portabella Wellington is not vegan. Argh!

Maybe we could "do brunch" or lunch? (It's less expensive.)

Drew
10-23-2003, 05:33 PM
wow, today is the best day of my life. Vegan doughnuts. Where is the Mighty-O place at? I've never heard of it before....

jenzie
10-24-2003, 02:16 AM
*waves to Drew* Glad you found this thread! (Sorry 'bout forgetting to link it! Doy!)

www.mighty-o.com (http://www.mighty-o.com)

Check it out! It has all the locations that carry the donuts, plus the main shop (which is right here in Seattle). Yummy donuts! :D

Dandelion
10-24-2003, 03:01 AM
Somebody PLEASE send me a box of Mighty-O's!
;)

jenzie
10-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Dandelion
Somebody PLEASE send me a box of Mighty-O's!
;)

Better yet, come visit Seattle! ;)

In all seriousness though, do you think the donuts would be it okay? (No melting, etc.) Aside from candy I've never really sent food through the mail, but I'm willing to give it a go for the Mighty-O. Ha. :p

Dandelion
10-24-2003, 08:07 PM
oh i was just kiddin and i very well may head on out there someday!
thanks...

Drew
10-25-2003, 11:01 PM
Do they have old fashioned? Do they taste like old fashioned? I LOVE old fashioned...mmmmm... I just wish there was more veg places around where I am, or ANY for that matter... Stupid Puyallup. All there is is trains. And Fred Meyer. ....YAY. *sigh*

p.s. how do I put a little picture under my name???

jenzie
10-26-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Drew
Do they have old fashioned? Do they taste like old fashioned? I LOVE old fashioned...mmmmm... I just wish there was more veg places around where I am, or ANY for that matter... Stupid Puyallup. All there is is trains. And Fred Meyer. ....YAY. *sigh*
p.s. how do I put a little picture under my name???

By 'old fashioned' do you mean just regular glaze? Cause they have that! And it is suuuuuper yummy! :)

I have the address for a veg place in Tacoma... which is at least closer than Seattle. ;) I haven't tried the place yet myself... I was going to since I was down in Tacoma tonight, but just didn't make it in. The info is in my car, but I'll get it and post it for you tomorrow. There's also a fair share of Vietnamese and Thai restaurants that offer veg options!

And for the pic, or 'Avatar' under your name... at the top of the screen go to "User cp", from there select "Edit Options" and scroll down to the bottom to choose a cute lil avatar. :)

Emiloid
10-26-2003, 02:42 PM
Howdy Drew,

Actually, all the donuts are cake-style, which I think is the same as old-fashioned. I think you'd like them. If you're ever in Seattle (or anywhere they're sold) you can buy a bunch and freeze them when you get home. I have a bunch in my freezer right now.... When you want one, nuke it for ten seconds or just let it thaw to room temp naturally.

To add a picture, click on "user cp" at the top of the page, then on "edit options" and follow the directions for changing your avatar. The hardest part (in my opinion) is finding or making a picture the right size.

Good luck!
EM

gladcow
10-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Hey Seattle Vegans!
I am getting excited about coming up and meetin' ya'll!
Should we have some sort of vote about where to meet and when? And is the Rabbit gonna join us? (please!!)

Can't wait to meet ya'll!:)

Emiloid
10-29-2003, 05:14 PM
How about the weekend you'll be in town? November 21-23?
Any takers? Any schedule conflicts?

Vegit-8
10-29-2003, 08:02 PM
The Wabbit packs his bag. :)
I have arranged my schedule so that I can arrive on the night of the 21st so something casual would be great that night and maybe a big snarf-out or two on Saturday would work but I am open to whatever works for everyone. I am willing to pick-up fellow veganites on my way down from Vancouver, B.C.
If anyone would like to arrange a venue or two for me to pontificate on the wonders of healthy living and that sort of stuff...so much the better.
I will bring a sleeping bag etc.

May peace and joy be with all of us.
Vegit-8

gladcow
10-30-2003, 01:50 AM
The Wabbit packs his bag. :)

WaHooo!:thumbsup: :banana: :yes:

Emiloid
10-30-2003, 01:47 PM
If anyone would like to arrange a venue or two for me to pontificate on the wonders of healthy living and that sort of stuff...so much the better.

Vegit-8, do you need any special equipment (projector, etc.), or would a plain old largish livingroom work? Is it just us, or were you going to invite a bunch of other folks?

Vegit-8
10-31-2003, 12:36 PM
Livingrooms are great. A flip chart or dry erase board would be helpful. It is easier to come across the border it I am not carrying such stuff. (THEY don't want to risk letting in people who may spread that radical, anti-consumerist/pro-compassion agenda stuff.) ;)
I would also like some contact info for veggie/health oriented organizations so that I could try and set up a talk or two for a larger audiance.
Thanks for your help.

May peace and joy be with all of us.
Vegit-8

misanthropy
10-31-2003, 12:53 PM
Aw, you guys are so lucky to see Vegit-8 speak! :)

Vegit-8
11-11-2003, 02:12 AM
So, where are we at with this mini-veganrepresent gathering in Seattle? I am really excited and I have at least one vegan friend here in Vancouver who wants to come down for dinner and what-have-you on the Saturday night.
Who's definitely coming? Who is trying to make it? Who needs a ride?
This Wabbit wants to know. :)

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

gladcow
11-11-2003, 02:55 AM
My husband and I will be there, but will be splitting time between you wonderful VRF-ers:D and my Dad's house. We will be at whatever we can fit in (Vegit-8's talk, eating, etc)

Emiloid
11-11-2003, 02:35 PM
I'll be here. Heck, I live here! Can anyone snag a flip-chart or dry-erase board for Vegit-8? If anyone works in an office, maybe you can borrow one for the weekend?

Also, I can have people stay here for a couple of days. I should probably cap the limit at four people. Our amenities include: not much privacy, no spare beds, and only one bathroom.... But you're welcome to it. ;)

Vegit-8: I looked around and found a couple of organizations you might contact about speaking. (I didn't contact them.) I hope it's not too late... I can't believe how time is flying! Anyway, here they are:

Vegetarians of Washington
(206) 706-2635
www.vegofwa.org

EarthSave Seattle Chapter
seattle@earthsave.org
www.seattle.earthsave.org

jenzie
11-11-2003, 08:56 PM
I'll be there! :D (And so will my roomie.)

Dandelion
11-12-2003, 01:16 AM
TAKE PICTURES!

:D

Vegit-8
11-18-2003, 12:50 AM
So, who needs a ride from north of Seattle? I intend to drive down from the Vancouver area on Friday afternoon....or early evening if that is what it takes to connect with someone who needs a ride. I have room for one additional person and if I can dump my flip chart I could take two. At the moment I am planning to come back on Monday morning, but that too is flexible if it means we can get someone else to join us in Seattle.
Any ideas where we are going to eat and when?

Vegit-8

Drew
11-18-2003, 12:18 PM
When is this supposed to take place? Can I come? :D

jenzie
11-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Drew
When is this supposed to take place? Can I come? :D

I do believe it's taking place between November 21-23. And of course you can join in the fun! :thumbsup:

I know you're pretty close to Seattle, Drew (as in, not more than an hour drive), but if you wanted to hang out in the city for all of the days and/or need a ride, let me know!

I can probably fit two people into my place. I do not have an extra bed or anything remotely that comfortable (just floor space), but I do have a dog (as a head's up for anyone with fear, allergies, or a soft spot for puppy dogs). ;)

Drew
11-18-2003, 04:11 PM
I love doggies!

I have a car, (if you can call it that) It's more like broken glass, plastic, and duct tape all mixed together, but it'll do the job... I would just need directions..

I would probably like to stay one of the nights though, either Sat. or Sun. but might stay the other night too.. I just don't know. I want to be there for sure when Vegit-8 Speaks. So whichever day that is is probably the night I would like to stay. :)

I sure don't want to drive back and forth from Seattle over and over, I think I would die. But if I didn't, my car definately would.

Emiloid
11-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by jenzie
I can probably fit two people into my place.

Can I come over? I think my place is going to be full! ;)

jenzie
11-20-2003, 05:42 PM
Okay, I think we have a head count... about 12 people, right?

So what's the game plan? ;) Are we doing anything on Friday night, or are we going to wait until Saturday to begin the fun? What restaurants are we going to be invading?

Vegit-8, what have you got planned in the way of speaking arrangements?

Drew, and anyone else who's interested in camping out at my place - just send a PM my way so we can exchange e-mails and hammer out the details/directions.

And Em, you're more than welcome to hide out here! ;) I will warn you through, I've got about a quarter of the floor space, and I'm thinking Greg wouldn't be all that thrilled with your absense. :p

Vegit-8
11-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Vegit-8, what have you got planned in the way of speaking arrangements?
I am prepared to go with the flow....I will talk in whoever's living room, whenever. How about Saturday afternoon? Then all head out for dinner somewhere.
I will arrive on Friday so I am all for doing something that evening.

Vegit-8

misanthropy
11-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Someone take photos! :)

Emiloid
11-20-2003, 11:01 PM
OK... looks like this thing's gonna happen! Here are my thoughts on an agenda (notice it's pretty open):

Friday night: open to going out or eating in. We could do "Pizza Pi" or Jenzie and I could potluck it for whoever would like to be fed.

Saturday morning: we raid Mighty-O donuts. Clean them out. Drink all their coffee. Leave not even a crumb. Vegan tornado-ninjas!

Morning-afternoon: sight-seeing? Pike Place? Chillin' at home... walkin' the dog... whatever. Lunch out?

Saturday afternoon: Vegit-8 speaks! And the rest of us listen. Perhaps around 3 or 4?

Evening: Go out to eat!!!! (We should vote on where: Cafe Flora, Bamboo Garden...?) Maybe even get reservations ahead of time?

Sunday: Whatever your hearts desire.

jenzie
11-21-2003, 01:03 AM
Vegit-8, Em, all of that sounds great!! I would have to say for Friday night I'm leaning strongly toward Pizza Pi! Woo!! :D ;)

For Saturday night dinner... I've been to Bamboo Garden and found it to be super yummy! But I'm open to Cafe Flora (I've been looking forward to trying it) or anywhere else!

How about Cafe Messiah's all vegan breakfast (anytime from 7-12) on Sunday?

jenzie
11-21-2003, 01:05 AM
Oh and Dandelion, misanthropy - no worries! I'll be sure to bring my camera! :D

Vegit-8
11-21-2003, 01:25 AM
*Wabbit runs around in circles, drooling with excitement*

Pizza whatzit sounds great for Friday PM, and so does the rest of the suggestions. I am really drawn to the idea of Cafe Flora for Sat night dinner as long as everyone else feels they can afford to eat there. I have never been there.
Who is free to meet when on Friday?

Vegit-8

gladcow
11-21-2003, 11:07 AM
we will be arriving very late tonight (Friday) and will be busy with family obligations most of Saturday (surprise 60th bday party for my dad). We would love to get together with anyone who is still around on Sunday, or will try to catch up at some point on Saturday if possible.
Eat some pizza for me :p

Drew
11-21-2003, 07:08 PM
When is everyone meeting at Pizza Pi? I can't stay at school much longer and I don't have internet at home........ I'm not going to be able to come if I don't know what the plan is.... I'm so worried that I'm gonna miss out ... :cry:

How about if no one writes me, and I can't get ahold of anyone through the forum, here's my phone number.....

(253) 906- 2728... I really wanna come tonight!