PDA

View Full Version : KFC Protest in Chicago!

VeganUU
09-05-2003, 07:21 PM
PETA will be in Chicago to protest KFC on September 9th!

They're protesting the FCB Ad Agency because the firm is vying for a KFC account, and we need to tell them that advertising cruelty isn't cool!!

12-1 PM
101 E. Erie Street
Chicago, IL

HERE'S THE PRESS RELEASE FOR MORE INFO:

PETA TO PROTEST OUTSIDE AD AGENCY VYING FOR KFC ACCOUNT

“Chicken” Crosses the Road to Urge Company Not to Promote Cruelty

Chicago — Since People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals’ (PETA) suggested slogan, “KFC does chickens wrong!” doesn’t seem to appeal to the company, which recently lost Jason Alexander as its spokesperson, KFC is looking for an ad agency, and Foote, Cone & Belding (FCB) wants the contract. That is why members of PETA will hold a protest outside the FCB offices, while a giant, crippled “chicken” hobbles across the road in front of the agency. PETA is urging FCB to withdraw from the bidding for KFC’s $225 million advertising account because of the fast-food chain’s refusal to adopt minimal welfare standards for the approximately 750 million chickens killed annually for its restaurants.

The protest is part of an international campaign launched by PETA after nearly two years of failed negotiations with KFC’s parent company, Yum! Brands. Despite assurances made long ago by Senior Vice President Jonathan Blum that KFC would “raise the bar” on animal welfare, the company refuses to eliminate the worst abuses.

Among the improvements that PETA wants KFC to implement are the following: replacing crude and ineffective electric stunning and throat-slitting with gas killing; phasing out the forced rapid growth of chickens, which causes metabolic disorders and lameness; adding minimal enhancements, such as sheltered areas and perches; and implementing automated chicken-catching, a process that reduces the high incidence of bruising, broken bones, and stress associated with catching the birds by hand. PETA’s recommended improvements are all approved by members of KFC’s own animal-welfare advisory panel and are based on the latest available scientific research.

KFC is revamping its ads after parting ways with former pitchman Jason Alexander, whose contract was not renewed after PETA persuaded him to approach KFC executives regarding the company’s cruel treatment of chickens. Earlier this week, a PETA lawsuit successfully forced KFC and Yum! Brands to remove false statements relating to animal welfare from their Web sites and customer-service information.

PETA Director Bruce Friedrich says, “The level of cruelty that KFC supports would be illegal if the company were dealing with dogs and cats instead of chickens. We hope that FBC wouldn’t promote a corporation that used sweat shops or child labor, and the agency shouldn’t help sell KFC’s animal abuse, either.

PETA’s KFC Campaign follows victories over McDonald’s, Burger King, and Wendy’s—all of which bowed to PETA pressure to reduce the cruel treatment of animals raised and slaughtered for food.

For more information, please visit PETA’s Web site KFCCruelty.com.

#

dviolet
09-06-2003, 09:45 PM
Unfortunately, I can't go to this because I have to work that day and my office isn't nearby. If anyone attends, please let me know how it goes!

jenbizagogo
09-07-2003, 03:19 AM
I'll be there for sure!!!!

jenbizagogo
09-09-2003, 01:43 PM
The demo went really well this afternoon. About 15 or so activists showed up which I thought was great, since at most the demos I've attended only a small handful have come out.

Many passerbys on their lunch break stopped to take leaflets, and some even stopped to chat about why we were there protesting. Several people gave the thumbs up and thanked us for being there, and a few people from the media showed up. All in all it was a great demo!

I'll post some pictures tonight when I get home from work.

Here's an article from today's Sun Times about the event (http://www.suntimes.com/output/lazare/cst-fin-lew09.html)

Byteme
09-09-2003, 02:00 PM
=( I had school!

VeganUU
09-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Yeah! Thanks for posting this, Jen. The folks in the office are very happy... especially since we were here late calling Chicago activists to tell them about the demo. Thanks for being there!

jenbizagogo
09-09-2003, 11:38 PM
No problem, VeganUU! :)

Here's a photo from the demo: