View Full Version : aw yeah!!!!!

penfold
08-28-2003, 04:24 AM
i want to be a voluteer too!!!

Dark chocolate boosts antioxidant levels
_
18:45_27_August_03

NewScientist.com news service

Eating chocolate can boost the level of heart-protecting antioxidants in the blood, but consuming milk at the same time cancels the potential health benefits, according to a new study.

The researchers speculate that milk may also have the same effect on other antioxidant-rich foods, including fruit and green vegetables.

Researchers in Scotland and Italy looked at the body's absorption of an antioxidant found in cocoa, called epicatechin, and a type of flavonoid.

Dark chocolate contains about twice the amount of flavonoids as milk chocolate, so 12 healthy volunteers were given either 100 grams of plain chocolate or 200 grams of milk chocolate. Some were also given 200 ml of milk to drink in the double-blind experiment. The levels of antioxidant in their blood plasma were tested after one, two and four hours.

Maximum benefit

"Those volunteers who had dark chocolate had a 20 per cent increase in antioxidants in their plasma," says Alan Crozier, one of the team at the University of Glasgow. "But those who had milk chocolate, or milk with their dark chocolate, showed no increase in epicatechin plasma levels,"

Nature

Four hours after eating the chocolate, all the volunteers' blood antioxidant levels had returned to normal. To gain the maximum potential benefits from chocolate, Crozier suggests it may be advisable to refrain from milk products during that period.

"Presumably the epicatechins are binding to the milk proteins," he told New Scientist. "Dairy products may inhibit the body's absorption of flavonoids from other foods as well."

Antioxidants are involved in lowering the levels of free-radicals in the blood. Prolonged and high-level exposure to free radical has been linked to cardiovascular disease and some cancers.

Journal reference: Nature (vol 424, p 1013)

Adams
08-28-2003, 01:11 PM
Thatís really cool. Anything that puts dairy in its place is ok by me! :D

I have a pretty hard time finding vegan chocolate in this bum town that I live in (Waterloo). I can get one kind that has crunchy bits of rice in it (which I donít like) or ones that ďmay contain dairy.Ē Its my understanding they have to say that because they use the same machine to manufacture dark chocolate as they do milk chocolate. Everyone once and a while Iíll cave in and buy one. :uhoh:

VeganKen
08-28-2003, 06:18 PM
So, I'm not pigging out, I'm boosting my antioxidant levels! :p

Adams - I have no idea how big Waterloo* is - but if you've got a co-op maybe you can convince them to order Tropical Source (http://www.nspiredfoods.com/tropicalsrc.html) chocolate bars. They're produced on dedicated, dairy-free equipment. Mint Candy Crunch is my fav.

*Argh! Now I've got that d*** ABBA song in my head. *singing* Waterloo! I was defeated you won the war...

Adams
08-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by VeganKen
Adams - I have no idea how big Waterloo* is - but if you've got a co-op maybe you can convince them to order Tropical Source (http://www.nspiredfoods.com/tropicalsrc.html) chocolate bars.
Hahahaha... those are the ones with the crunchy rice bits in them. :confused: They are ok, mint is the best one (and the first to sell out), but I don't really like them. I miss the softer yummy chocolates that I used to be able to find. :(

BTW: President's Choice decadent chocolate chips are vegan for those of you who can get them. The cookies aren't, but they also sell just the chocolate chips in the baking section. Mmmmm.... chocolate. :laugh:

VeganKen
08-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Adams
Hahahaha... those are the ones with the crunchy rice bits in them. :confused: They are ok, mint is the best one (and the first to sell out), but I don't really like them. I miss the softer yummy chocolates that I used to be able to find.

I only eat them with coffee so maybe that's the trick. ;) The rice one is okay. The green tea one is horrible! blah!

shade
08-29-2003, 06:36 AM
I've been warned against the green tea one by the girl at the health food store, so I've never tried it.
I like the tropical source bars with the crunchy rice bits in it. I also like the raspberry ones. I'm not a huge chocolate fan but they definately do the trick when I'm having a craving.

penfold
08-29-2003, 07:08 AM
ooooh tropical source bars mmmmmmm!!! :D

way back when i could actually get hold of these, the only flavours i saw were 'milk' choclate with currants - not a bad imitation of milk choclate and i love choc with bits in so that was cool. and espresso flavour, which was dark with a LOT of whole coffee beans in it. i wrote my undergrad thesis powered by that and Maya gold. never seen the green tea one - surely that can't work???

Adams - are there any little fair-trade shops where you are? they are great places to find good vegan choc hidden among the soapstone carvings and funky hats...but not everywhere has one.

Adams
08-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by penfold
Adams - are there any little fair-trade shops where you are? they are great places to find good vegan choc hidden among the soapstone carvings and funky hats...but not everywhere has one. I dunno, but I'll start asking around. In Ottawa there was a little Italian deli right in the downtown market that had vegan chocolate bars. It's kind of an odd place to find it, but my friend tipped me off. It was soft, and slightly chewy. I ate it so fast that I had chocolate burps. :laugh:

I want some more. :yes:

Husky Corn Star
08-31-2003, 04:03 AM
Green & Black's 'Mayan Gold' rulz :D also their 'Hazelnut & Currant'

Emiloid
09-17-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Husky Corn Star
Green & Black's 'Mayan Gold' rulz :D also their 'Hazelnut & Currant'

I LOVE Green & Black!!! Yummm..... I've never seen Hazelnut & Currant, but their Myan Gold is awsome!