PDA

View Full Version : My Journey to becoming a Sprout

Sprout
08-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Hello! I am "Sprout" aka "Beth" to those I have had the pleasure to meet in person here in Chicago. My journey began about four years ago when the winds of change in my life blew me into Chicago. I was going thru every major life changing event you can have in your life except having a baby..all at once! I did not feel good physically and I developed diverticulitus and IBS. During this time frame, I also discovered that a seed of spirituality (not religion) lived within me and that with a little nurturing, I began to grow into a "Sprout". A toddler at life if you will. I found myself eating less and less meat. A rather odd thing. considering my mother was the first female meat cutter for Safeway Grocery stores. I grew up eating the so called best cuts of meat and I lived in the heart of steak country...Kansas City. I thought that maybe, giving up meat would help me digest my food better and in turn, I would feel better. I decided to become a vegetarian much to the dismay of my daughter. She could not and still does not understand but someday she will. I did feel better. I discovered that many times, as you set off on to a spiritual path, you will make the vegetarian/vegan decision without much prompting. It was the right decision for me. Several months ago, a thought occured to me that my higher power makes fruits and vegetables in abundance. Plants produce a continual source of nourishment without suffering pain. Many animals only produce offspring once a year and how many have been killed to feed our population? hmmmm... a new sprout on the way??
My spiritual path has grown considerably and along with that growth has come great compassion for all living things. I can no longer justify my former lifestyle habits. They say once you start down this path, you cannot go back. It is true. I knew that in order to make the next step in my spiritual growth as an energy healer, I needed to take better care of my physical body/vehicle. I put it out to the universe that I needed help to reach my goals. The universe brought me into contact with Vegit-8 and in turn, Dandelion, JenBiz, Soy Boy, Space Hippy, Misanthropy, Lorin and a whole bunch of other folks to help me "Sprout" into the world of becoming a vegan. Vegit-8, during his visit to Chicago, graciously spent hours giving me lots of information and encouragement. I am very thankful and very excited to be joining the forum. I am looking forward to getting to know a great bunch of fellow sprouts but I will forewarn you...I can ask lots of questions! :banana:

Dandelion
08-16-2003, 01:00 AM
Welcome to veganism Sprout!
My doctor tried to tell me i had "IBS", wouldn't even wanna know what i ate. IBS seems like some blanket diagnosis when they have no clue. Prolly cause they hardly know anything about nutrition in the first place. Anywho all that tummy nastiness went away when i went vegan.
Your next step is RAW now!
;)
just kiddin, no pushin...get used to veganism, i'm sure you'll have no problem. it's easy peasy!
It was certainly nice meeting you. You are a very generous and kind person.
I'm glad you finally joined us. Go ahead and search these forums for any answers you seek and if you don't find it then please ask! We need more question askers around here, these people think they know it all! ;)
kiddin, LOVE yall!
:heart:

jenbizagogo
08-16-2003, 01:13 AM
Hi Beth! :)

It's so nice to see you here at VRF! It was such a pleasure to meet you and spend time with you during Vegit's visit to Chicago! And if you still want to watch the "Witness" video, please don't hesistate to get in touch! Looking forward to hearing all YOU have to share with us! :D

Vegit-8
08-16-2003, 01:51 AM
You just never know when a sprout might pop up. :)
I was just about reaching my guilt limit regarding not having emailed you recently and thought I would see if you just might'a maybe'a had written your story and I had missed it, when what'ya know, here it is. And a great one it is too.
Welcome to the VRF, Beth. I know that you will enjoy being here, and that you will be a welcome addition to our community.

Just so you's other guys and gals know, Sprout was one of my incredible hosts while I visited Chicago and I gotta say that she really rolled out the carpet for me. It was fun exploring all the great vegan and vegan-friendly places to eat and buy food in Chicago with her and all my other wonderful friends and hosts in the Windy City.

Beth, you certainly picked a great city and community to go veg*n in. I will be jealous (if I were capable of such an emotion *cough*) to know that you are hanging out with all those wonderful VRF'rs like Dandelion, Jenbizagogo, its_a_gas, and so on.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

Adams
08-16-2003, 02:13 AM
What a story! Your talk about spirituality, the universe, your vehicle, etc reminds me a lot of Buddhism. Saying that youíre a toddler of life is one of the most humble and wise things Iíve heard in a long time. I think that sums up a lot of us in one way or another. Itís ironic that you say you ask a lot of questions, when in fact, we'll likely end up learning a lot from you.

Iím sure everyone here will make you feel more than welcome.

Enjoy your stay,
Adams

spacehippy
08-16-2003, 02:19 AM
Hi! I'm sleepy so I won't say much, but just wanted to say nice to meet you again! And since that made sense, I must now say goodnight. :)

-Nick

jenzie
08-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Welcome! Thank you for sharing the story of your journey, I look forward to learning more about you as time goes on! :)

Sprout
08-17-2003, 10:54 AM
If every sprout in this world recieved this much warmth and nurturing we would all be stretching up to meet the sun....Thank you so much for the responses to my vegan story.

Dandelion - amazingly, almost the moment I went veggie, the IBS sypmtoms disappeared. I know, without any doubt, that one of the side benefits of choosing the veg lifestyle is that I will not suffer from the physical afflictions of the masses (nor having to do that nasty nasty test again) and my former doctor can take THAT to bank :bawling: I enjoyed my RAW experiences too. I never knew ravioli could be soooo good!!

Hi JenBizagogo! It was a pleasure meeting you too. You have this really warm soft compassionate aura about you. I am interested in seeing the video and learning more about how you have become actively involved in the community. ET says he wants to meet you too!

Vegit-8
I was begining to wonder if you got lost in the briar patch. I can be pretty inconspicious stretching up trying to peek in the mailbox but it sure is a long way up there. Dropping an email in my lap is sooooooo much easier. :cool: You are right...this is a great city filled with great people. I have been given such a wonderful gift by your introductions. When are you coming back? I need to know so I can get a real juicer before you arrive...no more mushy carrots for you!

Adams
Thank you for the gift of a smile when I read your response. I do not know of Buddhism but you have sparked my interest and I will soon be on a fact finding mission. All of us are "sprouts" or "toddlers" because we only know what we know and the opportunity to learn is tremendous. As adults, we sometimes think we no longer have to learn but life becomes stagnant if you don't. Think about the most vibrant older person you know...I will bet you a vegan cookie that the person is very active and is still trying to discover life's mystery's. I intend to still be a "firecracker" when I am ninety!!! You are wise beyond your years and it is my pleasure to have the opportunity to get to know you via VRF. :)

SpaceHippy
Yes, it did make sense and I know it is soooo hard to come down to earth when you live in the clouds. I hope you slipped into your pod and got some well deserved rest! It was very nice meeting you too. Hope to see you around even if you have to take the nearest space shuttle to get here.

Jenzie
Thank you for your response. I have had fun reading everyone's stories. Isn't it amazing how we are all different, and yet, we are drawn to this conclusion? I too will look forward to getting to know you!

Beanqueen
08-27-2003, 12:32 PM
Hey welcome. Cool story, thanks for sharing.

its_a_gas
08-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I've been so busy that I've been coming on here in like 5 minute segments. I keep missing all of these great threads! Somehow I managed to miss your vegan story, Beth. I am so sorry for that!

It was great getting to meet you a few weeks back and eating Ethiopian food with you for the first time! Good stuff, eh?

It's good to see you here. I hope to read lots of posts from you in the future. :)