PDA

View Full Version : Safe Odour Neutralizers?

misanthropy
08-14-2003, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know of any good safe odour neutralizers? Homemade ones even?

Those air fresheners scare me a bit and they really can't really be that great for our health can they?

icebear
08-14-2003, 09:00 PM
white wine vinegar or baking soda

Vegit-8
08-15-2003, 01:07 AM
Cedar chips, and like icebear said, baking soda. Also check around for products like these.....
http://www.veganmercantile.com/air.php

May peace and joy and good sents be with you.
Vegit-8

syzygy
08-22-2003, 10:43 PM
Patchouli covers up nearly all odors. (I do not bathe for long periods of time, but no one notices because of my liberal application of patchouli.) Patchouli can cover any odor. To use patchouli, merely purchase some patchouli essential oil (available at any health food store) and dilute it in some purified water to the desired potency. Then, spray the solution liberally everywhere.

VeganMegan
08-22-2003, 11:14 PM
I looooooove patchouli:heart:!

I swear it must be some sort of aphrodisiac or something! :blush:

I use a mixture of lavender and patchouli essential oils diluted w/water. Just grab an old spray bottle and *poof* you have a handy dandy air freshener. You can also just pick out essential oil scents that you like. Another yummy smelling essential oil is Ylang-Ylang. Essential oils are the natural air freshener. :sunny:

VeganKen
08-23-2003, 09:22 AM
You can also purchase these little ceramic rings that you put a little essential oils in and then place on a light bulb. The oil gets heated and spreads the scent around.

If I remember where I saw them (VeganEssentials maybe?) I'll let you know.

misanthropy
08-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the tips guys!

I will try the essential oil diluted in a spritzer bottle. Safer and cheaper than other air fresheners.

The main problem is that the cat/kitten rescue room here (a.k.a. my kitchen!) is getting a bit smelly despite us cleaning out the two boxes 2-3 times a day. Peeeewwwww!

herbi
09-15-2003, 02:12 PM
I use cedar in my closet, to keep away moths & to smell good, but since you mentioned it in combination with neutralizing animal odors, here's the official warning... :)

NEVER USE CEDAR OR OTHER AROMATIC WOODS AS BEDDING FOR ANIMALS (including yourself! ;). The nice-smelling aromatic compounds are intended by the trees as toxic repellants to keep away wood-damaging insects and animals, and prolonged exposure to them can cause chronic respiratory irritation, pneumonia, and even cancer. Some of the chemicals, in addition to being harmful to breathe, are also capable of being absorbed through the skin. Yikes! Be advised...

misanthropy
09-16-2003, 11:54 PM
I still don't know why they sell cedar as animal bedding. I found out about that years ago when I still had bunnies and was horrified.

Actually, because I keep forgetting to buy essential oils to use diluted in a spritzer I've been burning incense and also (vegan) candles. There's no health risk to people & animals with burning incense is there?