PDA

View Full Version : Here I Am

Ms. Pacman
07-30-2003, 09:05 AM
Hello All!

Glad to have found these boards. I've been a veggie since July 4 1999. I was lifeguarding at a sparsely-visited lake at the time so I had a lot of time to just sit and think. Before that, I had eaten meat, dairy, etc. my whole life. I always had a problem with the inconsistency of loving some animals while eating others. In college, I started to hate how my dining hall turkey sandwhches tasted like what they were...dead birds. I had a hard time eating meat without being disturbed by what I was eating. I recognized that there is something wrong with not wanting to think about what I was actually eating. People do this all the time! So that day at the lake, I decided to just go for it. I had just left college, I had a kitchen (shared w/ roomies), and I decided to go a fourth of july barbecue armed with vegetarian fare.

I loved being a vegetarian. But I treated cheese as my new meat. What a weakness for cheese! I couldn't imagine not having dairy in my life. I was in Portland, OR for a while last year. Bf and I were both unemployed for a while, so we had plenty of time to browse the internet. We came upon notmilk.com and began to make the connection among the meat, dairy, and egg industries. Now, a little over a year later, I am very happy with eating a plant-based diet. I love it and feel that I thrive on it. I am constantly being given unsolicited advice by my family, saying that they are concerned about my health, and think I should at least eat yogurt (for calcium uggggh).

Anyway, glad to be here. A veghead can get to feeling lonely in the real world and it's nice to see such an active online vegan community.

Peace.

Vegit-8
07-30-2003, 09:15 AM
Hello and welcome.
Nothing cheesy about this place ( OK, some of us are kind of cheesy:p). Glad you like our virtual community, and thanks for sharing your story.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

its_a_gas
07-31-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks for sharing your wonderful story, Ms. Pacman.

Welcome!! :thumbsup:

Dandelion
07-31-2003, 12:06 PM
you might say we're corny

ok maybe it's just me ;)

Originally posted by Vegit-8
Nothing cheesy about this place ( OK, some of us are kind of cheesy:p). ...

jenzie
07-31-2003, 02:35 PM
Welcome Ms. Pacman! Thanks for sharing your story... I'm glad you found us! :)

VeganUU
07-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Oh no. Everyone's already being a geek, and Ms. Pacman has only been her a short while. :p Anyway, welcome to VRF!

I'm not sure how you respond to your family's concerns about calcium, but you may want to let them know that animal protein (like that in milk) actually depletes calcium from your bones. That's right, folks, dairy causes Osteoporosis (which I'm sure you all know, but omnis tend to be less informed about such things). Study after study shows it, but the dairy folks have enough money on hand to keep it out of the public eyes and ears. There's also nothing so great about cow yogurt that you can't get from soy yogurt (all the active bacteria is added to both varieties). Anyhoo, I think vegans should always be prepared to have health debates with omnis and veggies because we should ALWAYS win them. :D

Ms. Pacman
07-31-2003, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

Oh no. Everyone's already being a geek, and Ms. Pacman has only been her a short while.

That's ok! I'm a HUGE geek. I like to pretend I'm cool, though.

I'm not sure how you respond to your family's concerns about calcium, but you may want to let them know that animal protein (like that in milk) actually depletes calcium from your bones. That's right, folks, dairy causes Osteoporosis (which I'm sure you all know, but omnis tend to be less informed about such things). Study after study shows it, but the dairy folks have enough money on hand to keep it out of the public eyes and ears. There's also nothing so great about cow yogurt that you can't get from soy yogurt (all the active bacteria is added to both varieties).

Yeah. I've told them all of this, but alas the idea that there is something magical in bovine milk is utterly ingrained in their little minds. I do my best to give factual info. They listen to it sometimes :)

Look forward to talking to you guys more.

Ms. Pac

Husky Corn Star
08-01-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Dandelion
you might say we're corny

ok maybe it's just me ;)

No, I'm corny, the rest of you rabble are just cheesy :brood: