PDA

View Full Version : August Chicago Vegan Meetup RSVP (whew)

Dandelion
07-27-2003, 11:16 PM
Please RSVP here if you plan on attending the Vegan Meetup in Chicago for August.

Vegan Veggie-up (Meetup Mutiny)
Saturday August 2nd 12:00 noon
Chicago diner (http://www.veggiediner.com/) (back patio)
3411 N Halsted St, Chicago, IL 60657
Phone: (773) 935-6696

RSVP TOTAL=40*

last rsvp: beth
*over capacity alert*

Dandelion
07-27-2003, 11:17 PM
me :D

misanthropy
07-27-2003, 11:33 PM
Me! :p

QrkyMoon
07-27-2003, 11:40 PM
RSVP x 2 (myself and spacehippy)

dviolet
07-27-2003, 11:48 PM
RSVP x 2 me & wonkothesane

soyboy22
07-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Count me in :D

I'm still mad at the meetup staff :mad:

Justitia
07-28-2003, 12:13 AM
See you on Saturday!

VeganXing
07-28-2003, 12:20 AM
"Dude, I'm there."

with maybe a wife and 2 kids. (wow - that sounds so suburban)

Anyway - count one for me, and if the fam is coming, I'll post again.

heathergalaxy
07-28-2003, 12:29 AM
me!!!

ronjen
07-28-2003, 01:35 AM
Jen, Aleksi, and me makes three ...

Vegit-8
07-28-2003, 01:39 AM
Woooohooo! I will be there.
I love this city.

May peace and joy be with you.
Vegit-8

jenbizagogo
07-28-2003, 01:59 AM
I'll be there, too!

soyboy22
07-28-2003, 02:45 AM
At least VeganXing didn't say a kid and two wives. He'd be in big trouble then! LOL.

Sunshine
07-28-2003, 10:55 AM
Me!!! :sunny:

Homer J.
07-28-2003, 11:11 AM
Count me in.

its_a_gas
07-28-2003, 04:22 PM
I'll be there! :)

Jim
07-28-2003, 05:45 PM
See you at the Diner.

vegedobe
07-29-2003, 02:11 AM
Me too + a friend!

Dandelion
07-29-2003, 02:42 AM
a stand-in rsvp for quincyfication

soyboy22
07-29-2003, 11:54 AM
This non-meetup meetup has the potential to be the biggest meetup.

Dandelion
07-29-2003, 11:55 AM
So we DON'T need meetup after all :D

Originally posted by soyboy22
This non-meetup meetup has the potential to be the biggest meetup.

Jim
07-29-2003, 12:03 PM
I am probably going to be bringing three people with me.

ronjen
07-29-2003, 02:00 PM
To all,

It is now possible to nominate a venue to be added to the ballot prior to the September vegan meetup.

See http://vegan.meetup.com/plus :

"If enough Vegans vote for it, a meetup happens at your preferred venue."

Unless there is a catch to this, I guess we can eat our (vegan) cake and eat it too!

Later,

RON

Eggplantgirl
07-29-2003, 02:36 PM
John and I will be there, along with baby Justice (he probably doesn't need to be included in the count, though he will need a baby chair). Can't wait!

spacehippy
07-29-2003, 03:05 PM
This looks like...a lot of people! Do we have an RSVP on a digital camera? :D

veg4life
07-29-2003, 03:09 PM
RSVP x 2

Dandelion
07-29-2003, 03:22 PM
a plenty... a plenty i'm sure!

Originally posted by spacehippy
This looks like...a lot of people! Do we have an RSVP on a digital camera? :D

QrkyMoon
07-29-2003, 04:40 PM
Yay! This is going to be so much fun!

Ron- do you want us to go to the link and nominate somewhere specific? (I havent a clue what meetup is- sorry!)

misanthropy
07-29-2003, 08:04 PM
Wow! What a large meetup! I hope there will be room for everyone. Can't wait!

Mental Note: Get there early to snag a good seat & table.
:thinking:

:p

P.S. What time is the meetup taking place?

ronjen
07-29-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by QrkyPrincess
Yay! This is going to be so much fun!

Ron- do you want us to go to the link and nominate somewhere specific? (I havent a clue what meetup is- sorry!)

(Don't be sorry.) Meetup is web site that has been used in an attempt to bring people with similar interests together (in our case, veganism). I have been to two Vegan Meetups averaging about 18 people -- that's pretty darn successful! Thanks to Meetup I was finally introduced to other vegans in the Chicago area.

Now back to answering your question. Many of us on this board who met through Meetup were a tad unhappy that the venues (i.e., restaurants) we were to vote for didn't seem appropriate for vegans! So, my post is informing others that we can in fact choose our own venue on Meetup instead of being forced to pick places we would rather not set foot in.

Personally, though, I think Meetup should be used as a portal to link other vegans to this site and then we as a consensus can choose when and where we'd like to gather.

Dandelion
07-29-2003, 08:36 PM
we have a 35 person capacity!
it's gonna be CRAZY!

Sorry, i've updated the info...it's at 12:00

Originally posted by misanthropy
Wow! What a large meetup! I hope there will be room for everyone. Can't wait!

Mental Note: Get there early to snag a good seat & table.

P.S. What time is the meetup taking place?

misanthropy
07-29-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Dandelion
we have a 35 person capacity!
it's gonna be CRAZY!Out of towners should get priority seating. :p

bearhino
07-29-2003, 09:23 PM
ill come to, no wait i cant.:brood:

carnelian
07-29-2003, 09:25 PM
I'll be there, and maybe one more!

rene
07-30-2003, 07:59 AM
i'll be there!

pjchmiel
07-30-2003, 12:40 PM
means that I WILL be able to make it after all.
Looking forward to both new and familiar faces!

its_a_gas
07-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by pjchmiel
means that I WILL be able to make it after all.
Looking forward to both new and familiar faces!

Too bad your plans got cancelled, but YAY! Lookin' forward to seeing you, stranger!

dviolet
07-30-2003, 11:34 PM
Hey all,

I just saw on the weather tonight that there's a 40% chance of rain on Saturday :(

If it rains, we'll need to have a backup plan. We talked about Pick Me Up, but there's no way they can hold 35+ of us. I thought about Ethio Cafe a few blocks away on Clark. They have a mostly vegan buffet on the weekends, plus several menu selections. It's a big place and hardly ever busy - they could squeeze us all in. Any other ideas?

If it does rain, we should check this board Saturday morning to double check the game plan. If it does, I'll call the Diner to cancel.

Byteme
07-31-2003, 12:42 AM
Me and talia, my real tight home bud from israel,
will show up!
Vegans rule!

Dandelion
07-31-2003, 12:43 AM
i already reserved good weather
they'll update the forecast appropriately

misanthropy
07-31-2003, 01:01 AM
I am bringing SARS with me from Toronto.

Did I say SARS?

I meant SUNSHINE! Yeah, that's it! Sunshine damn it! :p

Dandelion
07-31-2003, 01:05 AM
oh man they'll NEVER let you cross the border now...

I am bringing SARS with me from Toronto.

misanthropy
07-31-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Dandelion
oh man they'll NEVER let you cross the border now... Heh heh! ;)

ronjen
07-31-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by dviolet
If it rains, we'll need to have a backup plan. We talked about Pick Me Up, but there's no way they can hold 35+ of us. I thought about Ethio Cafe a few blocks away on Clark.

Personally, I'm all for the Ethio Cafe as plan B!

shedonteatmeat
07-31-2003, 07:19 PM
I am JEALOUS! Incredibly jealous!

*throws self on floor in tantrum*

Hmmm... all the awesome veganism in Chicago ....if the weather was like here, I'd consider moving!

Jim
08-01-2003, 08:58 AM
No offense, but I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 8 years. I know Florida very well. Panama City and the rest of the pan handle of Florida has about the worst weather you could possibly have. You have all of the heat and stifling humidity in the summer as does the rest of Florida and none of the warmth in the winter that Florida is so famous for.

I'll take Chicago any day over Panama City. Quit screwing around and get up here. You are missing out!

Jim

shedonteatmeat
08-01-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Jim
No offense, but I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 8 years. I know Florida very well. Panama City and the rest of the pan handle of Florida has about the worst weather you could possibly have. You have all of the heat and stifling humidity in the summer as does the rest of Florida and none of the warmth in the winter that Florida is so famous for.

I'll take Chicago any day over Panama City. Quit screwing around and get up here. You are missing out!

Jim

*laughs* But you guys get COLD! I hate the cold.... the heat I can handle, but ack! Cold!

Feels warm enough to me in the winter...rarely have to wear long sleeves. I like having some sort of winter, just not nasty coldness.

ronjen
08-01-2003, 01:57 PM
I lived in Melbourne Beach, Florida, when I was a kid. It was great being able to ride my bike along the beach before making my way to school each weekday morning.

To me, although places such as Florida have nice weather, I could never imagine myself living anywhere but in a big city like Chicago ("bad" weather or not). Different strokes for different folks.

Dandelion
08-01-2003, 02:29 PM
we shut Meetup down!
Sounds like or little mutiny worked, see yall at The Diner!
(i just realized that now we won't be able to post photos...oh well, we'll post em here!)

Sunshine
08-01-2003, 05:11 PM
I think we should post pics anyway - maybe under some kind of ghost title

Byteme
08-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Well I think some people would rather not have their pictures up on the net for some or other reason, and there's no need to start a trend for something that we don't really need (since we see each other in meetups).
I was planning to write "Verbal description is sufficient ("hot" or "not hot") but that's really sexist and not funny.

soyboy22
08-02-2003, 01:26 AM
Are you "hot" or "not hot"?

its_a_gas
08-02-2003, 09:30 AM
I just checked the weather and it looks like we're most definitely in for some t-storms, but not until about 3:00 or so. I think we might actually be clear!! :cartwheel: :cartwheel:

Tiffers1121
08-02-2003, 10:38 AM
I lwill be at the lunch and look forward to meeting everyone...bringing another vegan friend.:rolleyes:

Dandelion
08-02-2003, 10:42 AM
i'm comfortable enough to say he's "hot"
;)

Originally posted by soyboy22
Are you "hot" or "not hot"?

Dandelion
08-02-2003, 10:47 AM
kymmie

Dandelion
08-02-2003, 10:48 AM
beth

Vegit-8
08-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Wow, what a great response.
Me thinks this little affair is going to be a bit intimate. Time for each of us who plans to join the fun to decide whether we are prepared to have our lap double as an extra chair. :D

Vegit-8

dviolet
08-02-2003, 04:40 PM
Hey everybody!

I thought the Soul Veg meetup was the best ever, but the Chicago Diner meetup was off the hook! I'm so glad everyone could make it, especially the out-of-towners.

We owe Homer J. a huge THANK YOU for letting me know about Dave's b-day so that we could get a surprise lemon coconut cake! The Diner was awesome - they even gave us the chocolate cheesecake on the house & fixed a special raw dish for Vegit-8. Support the Diner whenever you can!

Dandelion
08-02-2003, 05:55 PM
There were approximately 43 people there! It couldn't have gone smoother. The wait staff was fantastic, the food spectacular, the people friendly and sociable, i'm just flabbergasted! We had people RSVPing till a few hours prior with a total of 40. When Vegit-8 and I counted chairs when we arrived, we had... 40! No rain even though it was predicted, just lovely weather (ok a lil humid). Lotta VRFers were there and it was very nice to see faces. we all had name tages with our handles/names. Thanks for such cooperation and friendliness!

And yes thank you very very much for surprising me with the cake, song and card that you managed to sneak around without me noticing. It was very sweet, awww shucks! :blush:
I wanted to go out and play afterwards but i'm just bushed now (bein an old man and all now). So much energy and stuff, it's just great. Vegit and I are just crashing now.
A photo album will be posted soon, the Rabbit was able to hop around and snap up pics (thank you!).

I'm so so happy.
:heart:

leyna
08-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Something else came up and I couldn't make it. :( Oh well, maybe next time. Glad you guys had fun! :D

ronjen
08-02-2003, 08:04 PM
Without a doubt this was the best Meetup yet. My only disappointment was not be able to see the infamous rats Lorin talked about (okay, they only come out at night).

Justitia
08-02-2003, 09:03 PM
It was definitely great to meet everyone today! It's been ages since I've been surrounded by like-minded people, and it felt really good!

I look forward to getting to know everyone even better either at the next meetup or hopefully sooner. In my opinion, a monthly gathering isn't enough--we should shoot for a happy hour or something similar every couple of weeks!

misanthropy
08-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Aw, today was SOOOOOO fun! I'm super happy that I made it here to Chicago. My lovely host (Jenbizagogo) has been soooooo sweet!

It was great meeting everyone today and thank you Vegit8 for your presentation. I have tons more to say but I suck using laptops, so I'll keep this brief.

Again, great meeting y'all!

dviolet
08-03-2003, 09:29 AM
Hey all,

Just wanted to alert you to the fact that many of you have private messaging and/or e-mail capabilities disabled. If it's on purpose, that's cool, but some of you might have done it by accident. I've found that the private messaging is just another way to build community.

We're lucky enough to have great people in our little group in Chicago and I don't think anyone here would abuse it. It also comes in handy when you're trying to surprise someone - with something like a cake. I couldn't let about half of you know in advance - so sorry to put you on the spot - but it was difficult to circulate information the day of without Dave hearing. Just wanted to clear that up.

carnelian
08-04-2003, 03:12 PM
I, too, had a really great time at Chicago Diner! Though I didn't have a chance to speak with everyone, those I did converse with were so friendly and welcoming! It was a happy, warm, fuzzy-feeling good time! I had to protect QrkyPrincess' 2nd piece of cake, as Vegit-8 ended up confiscating the first one (not intentionally, so we were told :) ). Vegit-8's presentation in the evening was entertaining, informative, and inspirational - so glad I went! Looking forward to attending future Meetups and getting to know everyone better!

QrkyMoon
08-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by carnelian
I had to protect QrkyPrincess' 2nd piece of cake, as Vegit-8 ended up confiscating the first one (not intentionally, so we were told :) ). Vegit-8's presentation in the evening was entertaining, informative, and inspirational - so glad I went! Looking forward to attending future Meetups and getting to know everyone better!

Not only did he steal my cake... but he ate it too!!! lol

The amazing presentation that he gave at the end of the day did more than make up for it, though... so Vegit-8, youre forgiven... this time ;)

Vegit-8
08-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Not only did he steal my cake... but he ate it too!!! lol

I am soooo ashamed. :rolleyes:
And you know what? I found out later that it wasn't even raw coconut lemon cake with a creamy vegan frosting. Can you imagine that?
Mind you, it did taste very good, in a sinful, sweet, sort of cooked way. :D
I had such a wonderful time at the world's best ever vegan-meetup. Actually, the reason it was such an amazing event was because it was not a vegan meet-up but rather a veggie-up, which is a whole different bag of carrots and nuts.
Congrats and heart felt thanks to all the people who made it such a special event, most of all Dandelion, dviolet and wonko the sane. VRFers rock, and so do all the vegan meetup members who showed up.
I will fly out for one of those events any time I have half a grand laying around. :)

Rabbit in the doghouse.

VeganXing
08-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Don't worry, she got another piece to take home.

Wait - she left it in my truck. Oh yeah, my son ate it yesterday. Did you actually get any, Princess?

Yeah, the whole day was great. Thanks to everyone for being such wonderful people. :loveyou:

soyboy22
08-04-2003, 07:14 PM
How about sampling instead? Like the sample he had of my "Nacho Mama". Hahaha. Anthony is good people, for a thief. And what would be the sense in taking a piece of cake if you're not going to eat it. He stole his cake and ate it too. :D

QrkyMoon
08-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Yep... I got to eat some of my first piece of cake b4 Vegit-8 pried it out of my hands :cry:

*giggles*

QrkyMoon
08-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Soys right...

Veg didnt steal my cake... he just walked over, picked it up... and walked off sampling it...

:laugh:

Everytime I think about that I just start cracking up...

soyboy22
08-04-2003, 07:26 PM
If Vegit-8 had bit into a great big piece of jalapeno during his nacho heist. That would have been justice.

QrkyMoon
08-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Aww! Poor Veg... and here you were making me feel bad about calling him a thief :p

carnelian
08-07-2003, 01:21 PM
When will the photos be posted? Or am I missing them? :huh:

Dandelion
08-07-2003, 01:40 PM
workin on them
there are MANY
btw if anyone has pictures they would like me to include lemme know
i should have an album up in the next few days

Originally posted by carnelian
When will the photos be posted? Or am I missing them? :huh:

Dandelion
08-10-2003, 01:21 AM
PICTURES! (http://www.veganrepresent.com/images/8_03/)

:banana:

Vegit-8
08-10-2003, 01:33 AM
WOW!
What a great gallery, Dandelion. It makes me feel as if I was actually there. :p
VRF'ers are the bestest people in the world. However, I must protest you using Photoshop to slip me into the photo involving eating pizza late at night. :D

May pizza and joy be with you.
Vegit-8 the whole thing....not.

ronjen
08-10-2003, 01:35 AM
I think the photos look great -- thanks.

Dandelion
08-10-2003, 01:49 AM
dang
could you tell i used the insert rabbit filter?

i 'member you leavin many 'pizza bones' :D

Originally posted by Vegit-8 ... However, I must protest you using Photoshop to slip me into the photo involving eating pizza late at night. :D

May pizza and joy be with you.
Vegit-8 the whole thing....not. [/B]

misanthropy
08-10-2003, 02:30 AM
Photos... :brood:

Dandelion
08-10-2003, 02:49 AM
awww c'mon Misanthropy...
I think you take great photos

misanthropy
08-10-2003, 03:00 AM
I thought I did a good job avoiding the camera, but I dunno how I managed to sneak into a few! Oh you sneaky people! :)

Dandelion
08-10-2003, 03:03 AM
the camera just loves you :)

I thought I did a good job avoiding the camera, but I dunno how I managed to sneak into a few! Oh you sneaky people! :)

Adams
08-10-2003, 03:46 AM
It sure looked like a lot of fun. I wish I could have been there. :)

Even though most people weren't named specifically in the captions, just about everybody had somewhat legible name tags on. :p After a bit of trickery I was able to figure out who most of you were. :D Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to meet some of you guys in person. :)

VeganKen
08-10-2003, 08:28 PM
How the h*** did I miss the photos?! Looks like you guys had so much fun!!! I wish I could have been there. :( Oh well... when's the next one?? :D

downwithapathy
08-10-2003, 10:33 PM
You folks are way hot. If ever I get a break from this schoolin', I'll find my way to one of these events. I WILL.

"I look good and you look good but not as good as me (I'm so dope)..." :p

its_a_gas
08-10-2003, 11:24 PM

Yeah, I'm with you there. I like seeing photos of *other* people.

Tiffers1121
08-16-2003, 09:09 AM
The photos turned out great, what a nice reminder of a fun afternoon....I look forward to the next one and knowing more of you. :cool:

Byteme
08-16-2003, 01:06 PM
RSVP me baby!
This time I will show up!

(Last time I was so depressed by moving from Israel that I couldn't drag myself away from my pillow).

BTW Dave my phone line is now partially operational, and I think I found a good skating spot near our houses (Skating in a public playground during night is fine, right?).
Call me 773-857-0316

Dandelion
08-16-2003, 01:46 PM
you are sorta late on the RSVP tip Byteme :)
In fact the voting has just gone live a few minutes ago. Go vote! (http://vegan.meetup.com/)

skating anywhere is fine until they kick you out ;)
i'll call ya and we can jam, yo...
you fruit booter. ;)

Originally posted by Byteme
RSVP me baby!
This time I will show up!

(Last time I was so depressed by moving from Israel that I couldn't drag myself away from my pillow).

BTW Dave my phone line is now partially operational, and I think I found a good skating spot near our houses (Skating in a public playground during night is fine, right?).
Call me 773-857-0316

Byteme
08-16-2003, 05:10 PM
I vote for Starbucks!!
Oops, typo , I mean for Alice & Friends!!

Spicy unChicken Spicy unChicken Spicy unChicken